Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UK SkyDemon App not connecting with 10.3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
BoeingBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BoeingBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UK SkyDemon App not connecting with 10.3
    Posted: 26 Oct 2022 at 12:49pm
Thanks PA23. I'm pleased to say your work around solved the problem and after connecting two Android tablets and my phone through UDP sender I now have full function of SkyDemon with the IFD. 

Unlike the iPad using IFD100 I didn't have to have the EFB open first. It worked either way. 

PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 4:38pm
ok, I was successfully able to trigger the IFD to recognize my android device and forward ADS-B data to it, it does help if you enable ADS-B over Wi-Fi.  I think the previous setting was something like "forward ADS-B over Wi-Fi"

Of course I have to manually trigger the IFD recognition every time I turn the IFD on, but it does work.

Thanks, PA
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 2:18pm
I was able to trigger the connect message and connect an Android device to the IFD but I did not get ADS-B data forwarded to my device.  I'll double check that I have forwarding turned on.

PA
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 10:42pm
does have to be a unicast packet or can it be broadcast packet?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 9:41pm
The IFD just needs the client to send a message over UDP port 5686.  Applications using the Avidyne SDK will send AVISDK, but you can send any string since it's just a beacon saying "I'm alive".
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 6:59pm
This becomes more of a technical question that probably won't interest most users but...

What is the IFD looking for from a wireless client to recognize it as a device and then start sending data to it?  Any network traffic? A connection to a specific port?

Thanks, PA
BoeingBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoeingBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 1:18pm
Thank you Steve, however I spoke to SkyDemon by phone this afternoon and was told that they are not likely to work on a solution as they don't have an Avidyne product to bench test it on. 

As my two Samsung tablets are not even recognised as devices I can't test whether SD is useable without IFD100. You state that another Android app might work, but I'm not aware of any that would be suitable. 

I have raised a ticket on this issue, as whilst it's a nuisance not to be able to throw plans up to the IFD, it's also a degradation in safety that I can no longer access the GPS position of the IFD to back up my SkyEcho (Sentry?) or tablets internally generated position. From an IFR point of view this is a real kicker from 10.3.

Edited by BoeingBoy - 20 Oct 2022 at 1:18pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 10:18pm
See this post...

Edited by AviSteve - 19 Oct 2022 at 10:19pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
BoeingBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoeingBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 11:22am
Thanks for the replies. I obviously need to configure my two tablets for first time recognition by the on board WiFi. I was not aware of this but have now found the webinar on WiFi and 10.3. 

However, before enabling the tablets and trying to send a flight plan up from my SkyDemon App I notice that in the Webinar there is a caveat that SkyDemon won't work unless the tablet has the IFD100 open first (this has also been mentioned on Facebook). 

Since I can't use IFD100 on my Android tablets am I now excluded from connecting to my 440? And is there any knowledge of both Avidyne and SkyDemon working together to fix the issue. 

Thanks. 

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 5:31pm
It might also be useful to check the 10.3 webinar and new user guide, if you haven't already. The wifi configuration process and options have changed considerably since 10.2. Pburger's suggestion touches on just one of the changes.
Vince
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 3:57pm
When connecting via WIFI there are two things - connecting to the network, and connecting to devices on the network.  You may need to go under the devices tab and select ALWAYS to allow connection to that device.

I had learned this when I first connected my Stratux to the IFD.  When I swapped out the raspberry pi on my stratux, it wouldn't work.  I finally realized that the IFD must've seen it as a new device because of the different MAC address.  Once I set it to ALWAYS it worked fine like before.

Of course you probably already did this, but thought I'd post this as a reminder just in case...
BoeingBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoeingBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2022 at 1:50pm
Hi,

I'm sure this will be the same problem as others are having with WiFi connections and those Apps and device primarily used in the States. However, I had my IFD440 upgraded to 10.3 today and can no longer get SkyDemon (The UK's premier VFR Nav App) to function. The Wifi connects but there is no position shown and no ability to upload a flight plan as there was on 10.2. 

Before I file a support ticket is there anything I can check in settings and configuration? 

Thanks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic