Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Software Release 10.2.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 11:54am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Originally posted by mfb mfb wrote:

When will a 10.2.0.0 version of the PC and/or iPad simulator be available?

Thanks

Mike
Working on that now. Should have it soon via the website.

It would be nice if VOR and ILS receivers were simulated properly. And maybe turn down the traffic so targets don't buzz around like flies quite so much. (I can always wish, can't I? As long as you're working on the sim you might as well........   )

Mike

Edited by mfb - 02 Apr 2016 at 12:05pm
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 12:14pm
With R10.2 software, all 5-Series IFD versions can provide display of weather radar from nine different Bendix/King digital series Wx Radar models including the RDR2000, RDR2100 and RDS81/82/82VP/84/84VP/86/86VP

And to utilize the radar is a $3999 unlock

Which is a real bummer it cant be as inclusive as the ex600 radar capabilities...
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Also - how will two boxes handle traffic alerting from TAS on one box and MLB on the other? Audio plus Bing? Or does one or the other get primacy?

When there are dissimilar traffic sources onboard (e.g. TAS and MLB), the IFDs do not share traffic info and do not have knowledge of the other IFDs TA status.   That means both IFDs would provide an alert.  However, practically speaking, the aurals are only heard from whatever IFD(s) are wired to the audio panel which is typically just one.  If both IFDs happen to be wired to the audio panel, then yes, you would hear both aural alerts.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:45pm

Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

When will a 10.2.0.0 version of the PC and/or iPad simulator be available?

Thanks

Mike
Working on that now. Should have it soon via the website.

It would be nice if VOR and ILS receivers were simulated properly. And maybe turn down the traffic so targets don't buzz around like flies quite so much. (I can always wish, can't I? As long as you're working on the sim you might as well........   )

Mike

We did not make those changes in the sim.   We agree those are good ideas but it's all about engineering resource loading and priorities.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Apiaguy Apiaguy wrote:

With R10.2 software, all 5-Series IFD versions can provide display of weather radar from nine different Bendix/King digital series Wx Radar models including the RDR2000, RDR2100 and RDS81/82/82VP/84/84VP/86/86VP

And to utilize the radar is a $3999 unlock

Which is a real bummer it cant be as inclusive as the ex600 radar capabilities...

I presume you mean the analog radars that the EX600 also supports.  If so, there is very little chance of that ever happening with the IFDs.   That requires a separate processor/receiver/set of hardware and a significant redesign of the IFD.  I'm afraid that's not in the cards.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:51pm
Per Steve's question #2 above on audio callouts: I'd really, really like an audio callout indicating reaching the FAF and MAP inbound. TOD and the 500' callout are very helpful already but these would add real value.

Edited by paulr - 02 Apr 2016 at 1:53pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Slatye Slatye wrote:

I'm guessing that there's not going to be an "IFD450", like a smaller IFD550?

Correct.  There are no plans to create an IFD450 at this time, primarily because we don't have the physical space available in the chassis to house the attitude sensor (ARS).

Never say never for attitude display on an IFD 4-series but aside from passing that data in from another unit, it's really hard to see how this can be accomplished.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

For #2, I'd really, really like an audio callout indicating reaching the FAF and MAP inbound.

Might be worth starting a new thread on desired audio callouts or something so all your requests for those don't get buried/lost in this  thread.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Harmik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

For #2, I'd really, really like an audio callout indicating reaching the FAF and MAP inbound.

Might be worth starting a new thread on desired audio callouts or something so all your requests for those don't get buried/lost in this  thread.

+1 for starting an audio thread.
I compared my audio output quality and message voice quality with a friend's IFD540 few weeks ago. Our systems sounded identical so installation was not a factor. However, as I have mentioned before, would like to see the voice quality improved.

Harmik
Thanks,

Harmik
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 5:14pm
I find the voice quality very good.

Any chance it is a headset issue?

* Orest
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 5:30pm
FWIW, I too find the voice quality to be very good.

Edited by DH82FLYER - 02 Apr 2016 at 5:31pm
Harmik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harmik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I find the voice quality very good.

Any chance it is a headset issue?

* Orest

I don't think so but to be sure I will try a different headset and report back. I am currently using Clarity Aloft. I will try it with my Bose.

Harmik
Thanks,

Harmik
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Since there seems to be a bunch of questions about upgrading to the 550, perhaps you could mull this over with sales/management.

For a customer that upgrade to the 550, would you be willing to "refurbish" the current units, which may be no more than sending the units back for all of the latest hardware updates, inspection, and certification?  I don't see this being much more than your current customer service work, but having some sort of "certified pre-owned" policy may help the existing 540s sell making it easier for current customers to make the upgrade.  Also, would you be willing to reset the old 540 warranty for it's new owner?

+1
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 8:13am
With the IFD 100, I get my wish of a larger screen IFD. Can't wait to get it.
Slatye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slatye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Apiaguy Apiaguy wrote:

Yes, I was hoping to be able to plug the old ART-161 into an IFD540. Still, $4000 would be a lot to spend on getting such an old radar connected. For now I'll just design the panel with space for two IFD540s and leave the existing radar indicator in one of the holes.

I'll definitely be interested if Avidyne does a "certified refurbished" program for the IFD540s (to allow owners to swap over to IFD550s). I'm aiming to buy an IFD540 in the near-ish future (when I can afford it) and saving a bit by buying a second-hand one would be nice.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:46am
66. 66. Fixed improper use of pressure altitude on GPS Status Page – eliminates the use of pressure altitude on the GPS Status page for the altitude field and in the Aviation 232 output stream. It’s GPS Altitude or nothing now.

Jake: we are hoping that this doesn't undo what we Aspen users did to get BaroAlt from the Aspen ARINC stream?
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:36am
Feature Request

So, now with my remote 322 transponder, and the removal of the PA from the GPS page, nowhere can I get a PA from my panel. Can you perhaps add a calculated PA to the Calculators page, put it beside the DA?

I'll have to pull out my old school wiz-wheel!

I am also thinking that you could back calculate the altimeter setting on the calculator page, where you have sufficient data in the stream. Can you consider that?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Apr 2016 at 10:39am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:49am

66. 66. Fixed improper use of pressure altitude on GPS Status Page – eliminates the use of pressure altitude on the GPS Status page for the altitude field and in the Aviation 232 output stream. It’s GPS Altitude or nothing now.

Jake: we are hoping that this doesn't undo what we Aspen users did to get BaroAlt from the Aspen ARINC stream?

I'll have to double check a few things on Monday in the lab and then post an update.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:49am

Feature Request

So, now with my remote 322 transponder, and the removal of the PA from the GPS page, nowhere can I get a PA from my panel. Can you perhaps add a calculated PA to the Calculators page, put it beside the DA?

I'll have to pull out my old school wiz-wheel!

I am also thinking that you could back calculate the altimeter setting on the calculator page, where you have sufficient data in the stream. Can you consider that?

* Orest

Just added to the candidate feature database.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 11:12am

I'll have to double check a few things on Monday in the lab and then post an update.

I really hope this didn't get dropped.  A bunch of us jumped through hoops to get Baro Alt.
David Gates
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 11:28am
yes Baro altitude is much better than gps altitude I hope it can remain and if it has changed be fixed. 
Dave
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 11:35am

The change disabled the failover of MSL altitude. Previously if gps-based MSL altitude went invalid, the GPS status page would show Baro alt as GPS MSL altitude. Likewise Aviation232 would send Baro alt as MSL. There's a system wide concept of MSL and that could come from gps or Baro alt. Some places shouldn't failover, specifically the gps page and aviation232. Everywhere else still uses the failover. 

The part I have to remind myself with is what the change was you Aspen equipped guys made, but the Release 10.2 change affects usage of MSL altitude in those 2 specific places, not the input into the FMS. 

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:07pm

The part I have to remind myself with is what the change was you Aspen equipped guys made...

The Baro Alt data block was suppressed by ASPEN's original ACU, and not forwarded on its 432 out. Their updated ACU2 does forward it on. But actually, now there is a simpler solution, an update to their IG allows one to bypass the ACU altogether, and forward the 432 data directly to IFDs.

I did update to an ACU2 way back, but that allowed for something else in my setup, so it was not entirely squandered $$. But for ASPEN guys now, vis a vis the IFD, all you have to do is "Y" the ASPEN 432 out, and send a direct stream to the IFD. The ACU, if you have one, still needs its own 432 feed as well.

I did have the "Y" split put in, so I can get HDG bug info to the 540.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Apr 2016 at 6:20pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:30pm
Feature Re-Request

Buildling on what you mention to be, one of your favorite features ...

Quote 13. Added a new “Designated Waypoint Info” datablock – this is my personal favorite and allows you to designate any waypoint in the system (not just in the flight plan) to be an anchor point ...

Some time ago I suggested a facility to be able to draw circles/radials about specificed waypoints on the map page, the so called Boeing FIX PAGE feature. 

"Fix" circles have been drawn in at 10nm & 20nm, centered on KSEA (737 MFD) 

How about merging feature/update #13 and this idea? It would not only give you a numeric readout in a data block, but also allow you to draw fixed radius circles about the point of interest. Touching the datablock would pop up a screen where you could specify the circle radiuses you want to add, and any radials as well.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Apr 2016 at 12:41pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:58pm
Yes, I have those two tied together as next logical step in the candidate feature database.  I also linked the ability to quickly insert that fix point into a flight plan at will.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 1:22pm

Everywhere else still uses the failover. 

Release 10.2 change affects usage of MSL altitude in those 2 specific places, not the input into the FMS. 

Those two statements are reassuring I think.

Orest, some of us didn't go to ACU2, but rather put the ACU in parallel with the IFD.  That was facilitated by rewording of the Aspen IM, as you indicated.  My question to Avidyne addresses whether that data is still being used.

There are a few functions where BEFORE 10.2 , BaroAlt would be used preferentially over GPSAlt.  It is important to know for flight plan altitude restrictions etc.

Thanks, Jake.

Edited by ddgates - 03 Apr 2016 at 1:23pm
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 1:58pm

Yes, I have those two tied together as next logical step in the candidate feature database.  I also linked the ability to quickly insert that fix point into a flight plan at will.

Excellent.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 6:06pm

Everywhere else still uses the failover. 

Release 10.2 change affects usage of MSL altitude in those 2 specific places, not the input into the FMS. 

Those two statements are reassuring I think.

Orest, some of us didn't go to ACU2, but rather put the ACU in parallel with the IFD.  That was facilitated by rewording of the Aspen IM, as you indicated.  My question to Avidyne addresses whether that data is still being used.

There are a few functions where BEFORE 10.2 , BaroAlt would be used preferentially over GPSAlt.  It is important to know for flight plan altitude restrictions etc.

Thanks, Jake.

Yes, everything is fine.  

This has no effect on your workaround to get 429 Baro altitude into your IFD. We just fixed an issue when GPS was invalid that we didn't report Baro corrected altitude as MSL altitude in 2 places, Av232 and the GPS specific status page. 

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 7:19pm
Thanks, Jake.

David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 7:22pm

Yes, everything is fine.  

This has no effect on your workaround to get 429 Baro altitude into your IFD. We just fixed an issue when GPS was invalid that we didn't report Baro corrected altitude as MSL altitude in 2 places, Av232 and the GPS specific status page. 

OK, now I get it, if GPSAlt isn't available, it will use BaroAlt anyway, which puts us ahead of the game?
David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 8:04pm

13. Added a new “Designated Waypoint Info” datablock – this is my personal favorite and allows you to designate any waypoint in the system (not just in the flight plan) to be an anchor point and provides bearing, radial, distance, time-to-go data elements.  To change the designated waypoint, just touch on the datablock which pops up a virtual keyboard to type in a new waypoint.  The waypoint selected will survive across power cycles.

What does "in the system" mean?  I assume that means in the Jepp database, which does pretty much everything I was hoping for.  Can you use a user waypoint for this datablock?  I could see creating a user waypoint for locations that are commonly notam'd for avoidance that wouldn't show up in a TFR graphic.  There is a rocket launch one near me and a bunch of skydiving ones, this would make it easy to know how far away you are without having to have it loaded in your flight plan.  This would work well with Orest's circles, but only if their radii could be user defined.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 8:10pm
Nav database and user waypoints both count.

I use it as a bullseye - some bullseye you want to stay away from, some you want to go to, and some you just want to reference your location to it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 8:16pm
For reference, here is what a 737 FIX PAGE (Smith FMC) looks like, where you specify the "circles" ...

Here LSGG was specified as the anchor waypoint, the bearing and distance is specified on the top line, and the bearing to the abeam point at the bottom.

Then, using line select keys you can enter up to three specifiers for each anchor point, in the format of:

RRR/dd

If you omit the RRR, it adds a radial that makes sense based on your flightplan.

So, if you want to add a 10nm and 20nm radius circle around LSGG, you would enter ...

/20
/10

in the two lines.

If you want to add a 5nm circle, with a radial drawn in at 235* ...

235/5

The older FMC versions allowed two anchor points, the latest allows six.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Apr 2016 at 8:27pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 8:33pm
Seems to me like that for those of us who don't fly 37s or the big airplane FMSs, it would take a lot of time to become facile in "heavy iron" FMS ops.

What Orest posted doesn't seem user friendly to me anyway.

I favor simplicity over complexity. 
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:07pm
Well, actually, it is just a table that you fill out with one, or two values for each line. Not really that complex. It does that rest. Likely the IFD would not provide all of the fields this page does.

For the IFD, where there is only one anchor point datablock, there would be only specification page. Radials do not have to be included, but it really is nice to draw a circle of 10nm around your destination, together with a radial drawn in on your runway approach path.

But I'd like to see at least two possible circles, two different radiuses specified for the anchor point.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Apr 2016 at 9:09pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:21pm
From first blush, seems complex, maybe it isn't.

David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:49pm

From first blush, seems complex, maybe it isn't.

I agree, it seems like the bullseye box is pretty simple on it's own and I'm not sure drawing circles on the map adds a whole lot when you can see distance information, but if they can figure out a simple and clean UI, I could see a few uses for the circles.  Orest, can you provide some insight into how the second right around the waypoint would be used?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:42pm
You are only limited by your imagination.

Look at the graphic upthread. Aircraft is on a arrival that will terminate with vectors for the ILS approach into SEA.

A quick glance at the MFD will keep you directly aware of where you are relative to the airport, but further it will also let you know where you are on vectors, how far abeam you are and how far downrange, outstanding for SA. 

You can expect to be taken about 15 to 18 nm downrange, and then given a turn to 90, then a 30 deg intercept, and then cleared for the approach. You can ensure that ATC has it right. You need to be between the range rings.

Perhaps you are cleared for a visual when in the downwind. Sure, you can eyeball it, but judging distances  acutely at that range can be tricky. The graphic gives you excellent guidance.

A numeric distance and range will tell you where you are relative to all that, but you have to think about it. The graphic depiction will tell you immediately.

Let us say you are at cruise. You have determined that you need to start your descent at 50nm out. you draw a ring at 50, it is a crosscheck against the TOD. Perhaps you want to be alerted for some other task closer in, say your in-range checks, you draw a ring at 25nm. And so on.

Remember also you can draw the rings to assist you in a tricky departure, or perhaps avoiding a restricted area, whatever. Items that are not on your flightplan.

The other cool thing about these range rings, is of course they change in size with the scale on the screen. With the IFD I always keep the same 6nm scale during approach maneuvers to maintain an at a glance orientation. I use the current range rings from the own ship in reverse, to determine the distances now. With the proposed range rings it would be far more direct, and even on different screen scales, without having to think about it, you would be able to orient yourself.

Does that help?

As far as the UI, the popup box could have a couple of fill in fields for range and (optional) radial. They would be filled in just like you fill in vertical constraints now in flightplan datablocks, or data on the calculators page, etc. It might be better to have that on a dedicated tab, an extra tab on the MAP page, where you would fill that in. You could quick access that tab from the current anchor datablock.

This potential feature is really the cat's meow, once you get used to it, and start using it.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Apr 2016 at 10:57pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 10:53pm

Does that help?

* Orest

Yes, thank you
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 10:03am
Wondered if 10.2 will provide the capability to receive WX data from heads up technologies on the 440/540?
dpcraig
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 11:57am
WOW!

I've been head down all weekend doing the annual on my airplane and hadn't read the email or looked at the forum until this morning.  Now my head is spinning.  Awesome release!

David
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:19pm
Cudos, Steve!!!

Here's a question on AGL derived altitudes on the 540's...

Flying along last night (very dark night VFR), noticed AGL on the 540's about 500' higher than Aspen MFD AGL.

Called Aspen Tech who says Aspen MFD AGL is derived from Pressure Altitude and calculated from the internal Jepp Terrain Data...

So, in the 540's, is AGL altitude derived from Pressure altitude, or GPS (WAAS) which is less accurate the higher above earth one is flying.

Thanks.

Tom Wolf

TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:22pm
Wondered if 10.2 will provide the capability to receive WX data from heads up technologies on the 440/540?

I'm thinking, in part, 10.2 and the IFD100 is going to be a replacement Stratus 2/Foreflight.  At lease that what I am guessing prior to seeing the package.

Edited by TomG - 04 Apr 2016 at 6:25pm
Tom G
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:31pm
As great as the IFD 100 sounds, I don't believe you can do weather and flight planning/filing with it as you do with Foreflight so I doubt it will replace it.
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:40pm
Agreed, but getting a new route from ATC, might be a bunch easier to put in.  Really can't wait to see the rest of the story! Is the new IFD 550 going to feed the DFC90 autopilot?  Does the IFD 550 output data from the ARS system to feed other devices? 

Really hoping Avidyne will have people stacked 5 deep at the booth!
Tom G
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 6:54pm
As awesome as the IFD 100 sounds I too am trying to figure out how it fits into my cockpit if I'm running foreflight. Will be anxious to see how people think it will be best used..
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 8:09pm
Yes, the IFD100 is kind of gee wiz interesting, but not sure the utility, especially if you are using a BT keyboard from your lap.

In any case, it is kind of academic for me, as it appears it is iOS only.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Apr 2016 at 8:09pm
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 8:20pm
Really depends on how good the interface is.  But the Gee Wiz sells stuff.  And with luck, Foreflight will reverse engineer to provide an even better interface to us, and we all win.  Competition is drives the bus, and we all win.

All in all, I very happy I bought Avidyne over brand "G".  Not because Brand G is inferior, but the Avidyne interface is very good and I like it.  And to agree with others, this forum is one of the reasons I purchased "A", and everyone knows A is way in front of G ;).
Tom G
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by dpcraig dpcraig wrote:

No, Rel 10.2.0.0 does not support XMD-76/A from HUT.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Cudos, Steve!!!

Here's a question on AGL derived altitudes on the 540's...

Flying along last night (very dark night VFR), noticed AGL on the 540's about 500' higher than Aspen MFD AGL.

Called Aspen Tech who says Aspen MFD AGL is derived from Pressure Altitude and calculated from the internal Jepp Terrain Data...

So, in the 540's, is AGL altitude derived from Pressure altitude, or GPS (WAAS) which is less accurate the higher above earth one is flying.

Thanks.

Tom Wolf

The IFDs provide GPS MSL altitude and GPS AGL altitude.   
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic