Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Self Exchange of IFD540s and 440s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self Exchange of IFD540s and 440s
    Posted: 09 May 2016 at 5:37pm
We recently read an online story in the aviation ePubs of the world (page 22 of the April 2016 edition of Aviation Consumer) where the author talked about using CFAR14 Part 43.3 and Part 43 Appendix A Preventative Maintenance as perhaps a means to help lower the overall cost of avionics and thought that was an interesting idea.

So we did some homework including running it by the FAA and concluded it was a viable approach and then produced an IFD-series navigator self-exchange guide the provides step-by-step instructions on how to do this.   The document starts with a 10-step test that determines if you and your airplane meet the qualifications to take advantage of this process.

If you pass those 10 criteria questions, then the rest of the document provides explicit instructions on how to accomplish the process and make the appropriate log book entries.

The document can be downloaded at:  http://www.avidyne.com/support/doctype.asp?doctype=installation+manual&list=doc

Is there anyone out there who meets the criteria and is interested in trying this out?  We would be quite interested in hearing feedback and be on-call for the effort.  We suspect this will appeal to a small segment of folks and may be controversial in other areas - we are not trying to stir up any trouble but hope to provide this as a tool to help manage the cost of avionics upgrades.

The guide is intended to instruct aircraft owners how to replace a Garmin GNS430(W)/530(W) with an Avidyne IFD440 or IFD540.  It must be a true plug & play installation meaning you can not use it to go from non-WAAS to WAAS or add any more wiring or parts.

For reference, I've included the 10 qualification criteria below:

If you can answer “Yes” (or directed to skip the question) to each of the questions below, then you are permitted to perform this exchange on your own in accordance with CFAR 14 Part 43.3 and Part 43 Appendix A.

If you answer “No” or “I don’t know” to any of these questions/tests then it is unlikely you are permitted to perform this exchange on your own and you should consult an approved installation shop.  Avidyne Customer Support can supply the list of approved installation shops, if needed.

Are you a holder of a United States pilot certificate?

Yes

No

Do you own or operate the aircraft (fixed wing or rotary wing) in question and is it registered in the US (N-reg)?

Yes

No

Can you confirm the aircraft in question is NOT operated under CFAR 14 Part 121 (Air Carrier), 129 (Foreign Air Carrier) or 135 (Commuter or On-Demand Operations)?

Yes

No

The Garmin unit that you want to replace with an Avidyne IFD4XX or IFD5XX unit satisfies one of the acceptable combinations in the table immediately below these questions?

Yes

No

Can you confirm the Garmin unit being replaced does NOT currently have a TAWS (fixed wing) or HTAWS (rotary wing) capability?

Note: this can be determined by turning on the Garmin and noting if the TAWS system in displayed on the start up screens.

Yes

No

If you are replacing a WAAS-capable Garmin unit (e.g. GPS 400W, GNS 430W, GPS 500W, GNS 530W) then you can skip this question.

Can you confirm that the aircraft is question does NOT have a Garmin GA56 GPS antenna (Part # 010-10040-01 or 011-00134-00) connected to the unit to be replaced?

Note:  GA56W and GA56A antennas are perfectly acceptable.

Yes

No

If your Garmin unit is powered by 28VDC, then you can skip this question.

If you are replacing a GPS400(W) with an IFD410 or replacing a GPS500(W) with an IFD510 then you can skip this question.

Can you confirm that electrical bus that the IFD will be connected to is either a 28V ± 3V system OR that if it is connected to a 14V ± 3V system, then the circuit breakers guarding the IFD unit are at least 7.5 A?

Yes

No

Can you confirm that to the best of your knowledge, there are no known installation problems (e.g. bent pins, inability to seat in the tray, etc) with the Garmin unit  you intend to replace and that it works well enough to record the configuration settings in it?

Yes

No

Do you have a 3/32” allen wrench available?

Note:  There should have been a proper allen wrench included with the IFD unit.

Yes

No

Do you have the aircraft log books available?

Yes

No

Edited by AviJake - 09 May 2016 at 7:46pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:25pm
Wow, that is interesting.  I would think that most GNS-W devices in the smaller GA aircraft would apply.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:42pm
We think that might be correct if folks elect to do this on their own and then the next time they're in the shop, they elect to add some of the optional wiring that requires an avionics shop for most folks (like adding wiring to that audio panel to hear the aurals).  We'll see.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 9:01pm
Hey, on the Exchange guide, question 1) Are you a holder of a US pilot certificate?  I might add (except Student Pilot) since student pilots aren't allowed to do PM per FAR part 43.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 9:02pm
okay, good point
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 10:26pm
I think this is a great idea.  I'd suggest adding a section that discusses warranty.  Currently your warranty policy states:
  • the Product is returned to us via an Avidyne Distributor;
I think potential customers may also be concerned with how a hardware failure will be resolved.  My unit was sent back multiple times under warranty and I didn't care who "covered it" regarding if it were the installing shop or Avidyne.  If I became the installing shop, I'd be a bit more concerned about how this would be handled.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 5:48am
How would this meet the STC requirement to have a 337 form signed off by an A&P/IA and submitted to the FAA?
Vince
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 7:34am
As I found when my IFD440 was installed, if the TAWS Out audio channel is not wired from he IFD440 to the Audio Panel, Aural Alerts will not be heard. So, if someone is slide-in replacing an IFD440 for a Non-Taws 430, I don't think they will have the benefit of Aural Alerts form the IFD440. Is that correct?

Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 7:41am
sounds like this could be the basis of a 540 - 550 exchange program......
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 7:53am
Originally posted by dubs dubs wrote:

As I found when my IFD440 was installed, if the TAWS Out audio channel is not wired from he IFD440 to the Audio Panel, Aural Alerts will not be heard. So, if someone is slide-in replacing an IFD440 for a Non-Taws 430, I don't think they will have the benefit of Aural Alerts form the IFD440. Is that correct?

Correct, if you want additional features of the IFD series then you need additional wiring.  The guide Steve referenced explains this.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 8:41am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

How would this meet the STC requirement to have a 337 form signed off by an A&P/IA and submitted to the FAA?

There is no STC involved in this activity.  This is a preventative maintenance action.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 8:45am
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

I think this is a great idea.  I'd suggest adding a section that discusses warranty.  Currently your warranty policy states:
  • the Product is returned to us via an Avidyne Distributor;
I think potential customers may also be concerned with how a hardware failure will be resolved.  My unit was sent back multiple times under warranty and I didn't care who "covered it" regarding if it were the installing shop or Avidyne.  If I became the installing shop, I'd be a bit more concerned about how this would be handled.

Sounds like a good idea.  I'll look at adding some appropriate text in the next week or two.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 10:17am
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

sounds like this could be the basis of a 540 - 550 exchange program......

There ya go! 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 10:20am
The Sales guys expect to publish the details of the 540 to 550 upgrade program around mid-week next week (~17 May).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 8:07am
Steve,

I know it seems like a great idea, but as an A&P and IA, I have some experience here.  The core problem is this:
The action being performed is not preventive maintenance.  It is an alteration to the aircraft (albeit a minor one).  The aircraft's Equipment List must be revised to indicate the new inventory of components.

Alterations are not within the authority of a Pilot.  (Pilots should not be revising the Equipment List.)  One must at least be the holder of an Airframe Mechanic license to perform a minor alteration on an airframe.

In the FAA's regulatory world, there are five "kinds of things" that can happen to an airplane, and these things are covered under different sections of the FARs and may be performed by individuals of increasing levels of certification:
1) Preventive Maintenance
2) Maintenance
3) Alteration (Minor & Major)
4) Repair (Minor & Major)
5) Inspections

Changing from a 530 to a 540 is in bucket #3, not bucket #1.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That said, I have two comments:
I would be interested in seeing the table referenced in question #4.
Question #7 seems self-contradictory.  If the Garmin was 28 volts, then you skip the question.  So why is a 28 volt condition part of the question?

David Bunin
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 8:14am
Hi David,

We strongly disagree with the assertion that this is not Preventative Maintenance and we have agreement within the FAA.  I can understand how some folks will be perfectly comfortable with this vehicle and some will not.   We're just trying to provide the choice/option/path.  If you qualify and want to go for it, great.  If not, no problem.

Reference your question on #4,  I've pasted it in below (note that the IFD410 and IFD510 are not yet available).

With question #7, by definition, the 28V aircraft already come with the proper amperage circuit breaker so those owners don't even need to think about that issue.

Table for #4:

The following table describes the acceptable exchange combinations:

Device to be Removed

Acceptable Exchange Device

GPS 400, GPS 400W (any variant)

IFD410

GNS 430, GNS 430W (any variant, but 14V units need proper circuit breaker sizing (7.5A) in order to proceed)

IFD440

GPS 500, GPS 500W  (any variant)

IFD510

GNS 530, GNS 530W (any variant except TAWS, but 14V units need proper circuit breaker sizing (7.5A) in order to proceed)

IFD540

Edited by AviJake - 12 May 2016 at 8:16am
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 8:29am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

With question #7, by definition, the 28V aircraft already come with the proper amperage circuit breaker so those owners don't even need to think about that issue.

Okay, I understand and that makes sense.  The question is really only for owners of 14v airplanes.

So then why is "28v+/-3" one of the conditional answers?  Nobody is going to have that voltage in a 14v airplane.

It might be clearer to just ask if the circuit breaker is rated for at least 7.5 amps in a 14v installation.

David Bunin

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 8:31am
Yup, I agree that would be clearer.  I'll make that mod too.  Thanks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 8:33am
BTW, here's a snippet from the Exchange Manual that cites the FAR basis that formed the core of the argument for anyone interested:

This section contains snippets of the relevant portions of 14 CFR Part 43 that serve as the regulatory basis for this exchange process.

14CFR Part 43 describes aircraft maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding and alteration.

Sec. 43.3  
Persons authorized to perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alterations.

(g) Except for holders of a sport pilot certificate, the holder of a pilot certificate issued under part 61 may perform preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that pilot which is not used under part 121, 129, or 135 of this chapter. The holder of a sport pilot certificate may perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft owned or operated by that pilot and issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category.

(5) The items of preventive maintenance authorized by this section are those listed in paragraph (c) of appendix A of this part.

Major alterations, Major Repairs and Preventive maintenance are described in 14CFR Part 43 Appendix A.

(c) Preventive maintenance. Preventive maintenance is limited to the following work, provided it does not involve complex assembly operations:

(31) Removing and replacing self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel, (excluding automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)). The approved unit must be designed to be readily and repeatedly removed and replaced, and pertinent instructions must be provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, an operational check must be performed in accordance with the applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter.

Edited by AviJake - 12 May 2016 at 8:34am
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 9:01am
I will repeat that in MY PROFESSIONAL OPINION this is an aircraft alteration (albeit a very minor one).  Steve says that Avidyne has agreement from "the FAA" but we don't know which office or individual that comes from, and it doesn't mean that every FSDO will see it the same way.  If your FSDO is on board, great!  I'm all for it.

On the other hand, if you are in the Dallas area, I would prefer to offer my services (free of charge, I am not financially motivated here) as an A&P/IA to legally supervise you doing this work and thus remove any doubt.

Most of the maintenance I do is owner-assisted, and I find that even the guys who are technically savvy and capable in the hangar, still need my help to make a good maintenance log entry for the books.

I love the Avidyne products and Team.  I want nothing but success for all of us.  If you and your FSDO are comfortable with the method proposed here then you're all set.  If you or your FSDO are not comfortable with it, call me and I'd love to help you get an Avidyne product into your panel.

David Bunin
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 12:07pm
HQ FAA/AFS (Flight Standards) is "the FAA" who are fine with it.  Not sure you can do much better than that.

It's akin to what TKM is doing for the owner replacement of BK-175 Nav/Coms.

We also include the log book sticker (and extraction tool) in the ship kit for those who want to give this a shot.

David's approach sounds like a good belt & suspenders approach for those who still aren't comfortable on their own.  I would agree this is not for everyone but for some folks, I think this is an awesome option.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 2:06pm
I applaud Avidyne for leaning forward on this, along with many design features in the IFDs that frankly I'm astonished the FAA would certify.  Lets just see where this goes before we throw say it cant be done.
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:49am
What about software updates?  Is that something that will ever be available at the user level or is the process too fraught with the possibility of bricking the unit?

I replace firmware on computer components all the time and very rarely turn one into a door stop.  Actually, it's been years since that has happened.  I don't know if the hardware has gotten more bullet proof or the firmware has gotten that much better.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 5:31am
I am a lot less optimistic that will come to pass anytime soon.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:56am
That is an interesting paradox.

I do find it weird that the FAA has agreed that replacing a navigation/communication system with a different (and BETTER) navigation/communication system is not an alteration, but they balk at software loading on an existing system (which the pilot does every 28 days).  The new software is an alteration, but the new hardware with the new software isn't?  They aren't bothered that the IFD-540 does not share any software with the GNS530W?

Remember, I am a supporter.  I want this to work out for everybody.

Here is another detail: the flight manual supplement.
If your airplane has an Approved Flight Manual (AFM) then the navigation system pages are an Approved Flight Manual Supplement (AFMS).  To remove the Garmin AFMS and insert the Avidyjne AFMS is a change to approved data (the AFM).  That is the piece that usually puts this into the realm of major alteration, and the reason for a 337 and the involvement of an IA.

The slide-in Nav/Com radios from TKM do not encounter this stumbling block because most of those older planes did not have an AFM.

David Bunin
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:01pm
An observation about firmware updates.  We've found that 99% of the A&Ps don't know much about sophisticated electronics or the idea of what a firmware update really is.  We have the A&P on sight when we do the install and have him read the instructions to us and watch us do it.  We do all the install, he watches and signs off the install was done IAW the SB, and everybody's happy.
Jim Patton
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 11:02pm

I do find it weird that the FAA has agreed that replacing a navigation/communication system with a different (and BETTER) navigation/communication system is not an alteration, but they balk at software loading on an existing system (which the pilot does every 28 days).  The new software is an alteration, but the new hardware with the new software isn't?  They aren't bothered that the IFD-540 does not share any software with the GNS530W?

As I was saying on another thread in this forum, I worked for the FAA for 27 years and I never did figure them out. I was most suprised to see the approval of the Dynon DA-10 for certified aircraft.  That seemed to fly right into the limelight.  Most of the stuff the FAA does is akin to watching paint dry.  Actually, since paint does actually dry, that statement is not fair to paint.

You are correct in that we already do updates when we load the Jeppesen data every 28 days.  It's not like it's rocket surgery.  They send detailed instructions that would put some microwave tv dinner instructions to shame.

I've had firmware updates on computer hardware that came with no instructions and you were left to figure it out on your own.  One wrong move and "Brick".

I certainly wouldn't mind doing it myself as long as I was able to talk to someone if there was an issue and not give me a lot of attitude if something did turn it into a toaster.
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2016 at 10:05am
Pirep on a 440 exchange. Just completed my exchange and it couldn't have gone easier. I read the Avidyne self install manual carefully, took pictures of the 430 settings, had Christine from Tech support on the phone for help and got it all done in less than 45 minutes. I did an initial albeit short flight but everything looks great. Glad to see something works as advertised. Look forward to v10.2!
kansasdoc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic