Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The SkyTrax Name

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The SkyTrax Name
    Posted: 16 May 2016 at 9:12am
Okay, I've given some time for the newness of the idea to wear off and "get used to it" but I have to say that I still don't understand the switch from MLB100 to SkyTrax100.  Especially when all of the other Avidyne products have stayed with the three-letter, three-number convention. Does this look like a unified marketing plan?

My understanding is that this was the brainchild of one high-powered individual at Avidyne, but I just don't get it.  Not the prettiest baby I've ever seen.  Why this one product and not the others?

David Bunin

Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 9:32am
David,
Maybe Major League Baseball did not like Avidyne to use MLB for their products? 
Gary-T
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 9:40am
Does the MLB770 continue with the existing designation?
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 1:57pm
Found this at MLB.com , under legal notices:

Legal Notices

The following are trademarks or service marks of Major League Baseball entities and may be used only with permission of Major League Baseball Properties, Inc. or the relevant Major League Baseball entity: Major League, Major League Baseball, MLB, the silhouetted batter logo, World Series, National League, American League, Division Series, League Championship Series, All-Star Game, and the names, nicknames, logos, uniform designs, color combinations, and slogans designating the Major League Baseball clubs and entities, and their respective mascots, events and exhibitions.

Gary-T
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 2:06pm
David
I cannot locate a MLB770 on the Avidyne website.  I can find a MLX770.
Did Avidyne change this recently?
Gary-T
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 6:10am
Major League Baseball did not drive this change (but it was an entertaining theory). 10 years ago I could see the Yankees trying to force that to keep us Red Sox fans down but they're too scared to try that now.

New branding of SkyTrax is an attempt to link all the ADS-B products that exist and are in the pipeline into one logical family and have it sort of descriptive of what they do.

The MLB/MLX family names were lost on too many folks. They are a hold over from our multi-link days. MLB was Multi Link Broadcast (1-way receive only from national broadcast) and MLX was Multi Link Transceiver (2-way datalink flow). It was time for a change.

We still support the MLB700 product which is the Sirius/WSI US datalink receiver and the MLX770 which is the Iridium 2-way datalink transceiver.

We expect to deliver a number of new datalink products over the next few years using new platforms and pipes.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:10am
Now that 10.2 is up and running with all its new wifi and Bluetooth abilities, what are the chances that these technologies will couple with an external traffic and weather source?
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:04am
Mark,

As I understand it, the IFD will be able to stream SkyTrax traffic and weather data onto a portable display (tablet/iPad) assuming the app in use has the functionality.

If you're asking that the IFD display ADS-B data sourced from a GDL-39 or Stratus or similar device, I haven't heard any rumors of that.

David

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic