Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > EX-Series Multi-Function Displays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Release 8.2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Release 8.2
    Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 1:17pm
I don't think we've publicized our plans for an EX500/600/5000 software update so here you go:

R8.2 enables the display of ADS-B IN Traffic and subscription-free FIS-B Wx on Avidyne’s EX500, EX600, and EX5000 Series MFDs using Avidyne SkyTrax 100 receiver and SkyTrax 200/210 transceivers.   This release will be available later this year.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 7:33pm
Steve -- After you guys work out the issue with L3 Lynx FIS-B and TIS-B displaying on IFDs (see http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=849&PN=2&title=connecting-with-an-ngt-9000), will that also provide a ready pathway to also enabling L3 Lynx FIS-B and TIS-B data displayed on the EX5000C (after R8.2 is installed)?

Edited by Catani - 22 Jul 2016 at 7:38pm
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 3:07am
Or other third party ADS-B TIS sources, like the Garmin 3x5 transponders?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 8:39am
Just answered a similar question on a different thread.   Here's the cut and paste from that:

Well we just got a GTX345 ourselves to use for integration testing - so far, no success but it's still early.

However, Release 8.2 is focused on the Avidyne supplied ADS-B devices since those are what we know and those are under our control to ensure we have full access to the data protocols and that they won't change.  Therefore, I would not count on Rel 8.2 supporting the GTX345 (or L3 Lynx) at this time.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TangoCharlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TangoCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2016 at 12:56pm
On a software-related note, I was speaking with Bendix King about their RDR 2060 upgrade. Is this supported by the EX500? They suggested it might work if the EX500 was configured in RDR 2100 mode as they are quite similar. Mainly I was thinking about sector scan support and the increased range.

--Mark
--Mark M
Sammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 5:23pm
Any updates on the progress of the 8.2 software?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 1:19pm
It's progressing at the moment. Still optimistic of a mid-year target timeframe.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
GYORC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GYORC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 5:00am
Any news about the 8.2 MFD update? When will it be available?
Cirrus SR22-G2 GTS, Avidyne Entegra, DFC90
LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:16am
In the IFD thread, AviTJ states this morning, "... In fact, our recent releases into legacy products of R9, Entegra and EX500/600 MFDs this month has effectively extended the useful life in these products that were initially created long before ADS-B was a topic of conversation."

http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1444&PID=17920&title=ifd-1021-bug-fix-release-timing#17920

What is this month's Entegra release?  R8.2?  I have missed any announcements about Entegra releases.

Thanks.

Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 9:19am
Originally posted by LarryPetro LarryPetro wrote:

In the IFD thread, AviTJ states this morning, "... In fact, our recent releases into legacy products of R9, Entegra and EX500/600 MFDs this month has effectively extended the useful life in these products that were initially created long before ADS-B was a topic of conversation."

http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1444&PID=17920&title=ifd-1021-bug-fix-release-timing#17920

What is this month's Entegra release?  R8.2?  I have missed any announcements about Entegra releases.

Thanks.

8.2 hasn't been officially released yet Larry, but it is very, very close.  I'm certain we'll be announcing it very soon.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:33pm
We have been hearing this "very soon" for 2 years now! 
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by AviTJ AviTJ wrote:

Thanks.

8.2 hasn't been officially released yet Larry, but it is very, very close.  I'm certain we'll be announcing it very soon.

TJ, how soon is very soon. It has been very soon forever now! Please advise if you have any confirmed predictions
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 4:18pm
I received an email from this forum indicating a new message from Ibraham was posted yesterday, which was a follow up to a message posted by billyhasat@gmail.com regarding the approval of Release 8.2 by the FAA.  But that Cirrus had to approve it, which they say they will not do.

While the two messages are interesting and present a conundrum for Cirrus owners, my question is, why are they not appearing on this forum?  I seem to remember something like this happening before on another forum as well.  Puzzling.

Would also request input from Avidyne as to where this leaves Release 8.2 for those of us with EX5000 MFDs in the panel.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

I received an email from this forum indicating a new message from Ibraham was posted yesterday, which was a follow up to a message posted by billyhasat@gmail.com regarding the approval of Release 8.2 by the FAA.  But that Cirrus had to approve it, which they say they will not do.

While the two messages are interesting and present a conundrum for Cirrus owners, my question is, why are they not appearing on this forum?  I seem to remember something like this happening before on another forum as well.  Puzzling.

Would also request input from Avidyne as to where this leaves Release 8.2 for those of us with EX5000 MFDs in the panel.

I'm having the same experience receiving email notices of new posts, but then not seeing that post on the Forum.  And, the Recent Post feature updates once a week, or so.  I also notice that the "current time" at the top of the Forum home page is grossly in error.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:36pm
Avi Steve/TJ

Please update the status of Revision 8.2 for the MFD

Thank you
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 10:20am
Avidyne has completed the TSO of software 8.2 with EX5000, however, the OEM is the holder of the TC and must provide further approval.  Avidyne has communicated to the OEMs that the software is available and will continue to engage them to support our customers.  We recommend owners/dealers also reach out to the OEM for assistance.

Edited by AviSteve - 26 Apr 2018 at 10:21am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 10:47am
Steve,

I have a Columbia 350 with an EX5000 running R8.1.

What changes were made with R8.2 since R8.1?

As I understand you, I need to contact Cessna in order to install R8.2 in my plane.  Correct?

-Larry
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 11:05am
Release 8.2 incorporates ADS-B traffic and weather.  Yes, installation approval must be granted by the holder of the type certificate, so you'll have to contact them.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Release 8.2 incorporates ADS-B traffic and weather.  Yes, installation approval must be granted by the holder of the type certificate, so you'll have to contact them.

Thanks, Steve.

So, looking back through this thread, unless I have a SkyTrax 100, or want to gamble on another ADS-B IN device interfacing correctly to the EX5000, R8.2 provides no improvements over R8.1.  Correct?

-Larry
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 11:26am

Thanks, Steve.

So, looking back through this thread, unless I have a SkyTrax 100, or want to gamble on another ADS-B IN device interfacing correctly to the EX5000, R8.2 provides no improvements over R8.1.  Correct?

-Larry
Yes, I think it's safe to say that if you're happy with your traffic and weather solutions and you have no need/desire to display those products from an ADS-B IN device on your MFD, then there's no compelling reason to upgrade it.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 12:24pm
Thanks, Steve.  

I am reasonably satisfied with the display of weather information on the EX5000 from my XM Aviator Lite subscription and my WX-500.  For the next year, I'll also continue to display traffic from my GTX330. 

My preference would be to display ADS-B dual-frequency traffic and FIS-B weather, which I hope that eventually the EX5000 will be capable.

-Larry
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 2:48pm

Steve -- 

Regarding weather: Will the MFD as upgraded to 8.2 retain the capability of displaying XM weather?  Or will the upgrade terminate XM compatibility, and only display ADS-B derived weather? Or perhaps, become capable of displaying either ADS-B or XM weather, as may be selected in setup or perhaps even during flight?

Regarding traffic: I have an ADS-B In traffic solution (Lynx 9000+ with internally incorporated Skywatch) that displays the full traffic icon on my iPad.  But with the Lynx traffic input my EX5000C is only capable of displaying the former standard traffic icon.  With the 8.2 upgrade, will the MFD now display the full ADS-B traffic icon on the MFD, as my iPad does now from the Lynx traffic input?  For what it's worth, the Lynx is supposed to be Capstone compliant.  I understand there was some communication between L3 and Avidyne over this issue.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

Steve -- 

Regarding weather: Will the MFD as upgraded to 8.2 retain the capability of displaying XM weather?  Or will the upgrade terminate XM compatibility, and only display ADS-B derived weather? Or perhaps, become capable of displaying either ADS-B or XM weather, as may be selected in setup or perhaps even during flight?

Regarding traffic: I have an ADS-B In traffic solution (Lynx 9000+ with internally incorporated Skywatch) that displays the full traffic icon on my iPad.  But with the Lynx traffic input my EX5000C is only capable of displaying the former standard traffic icon.  With the 8.2 upgrade, will the MFD now display the full ADS-B traffic icon on the MFD, as my iPad does now from the Lynx traffic input?  For what it's worth, the Lynx is supposed to be Capstone compliant.  I understand there was some communication between L3 and Avidyne over this issue.

Yes 8.2 still has the capability to display XM weather.  It's all in the setup.

While release 8.2 will display ADS-B traffic, it will continue to display the old style traffic icons.  That's because the MFD is a level D box and the TSO requires level C in order to display the new symbology.  
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 4:33pm
Steve,

When was the TSO for release 8.2 completed? What is the process for the certificate holder (Cirrus in our case) to approve it?

Thank you
Ibrahim
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

Steve,

When was the TSO for release 8.2 completed? What is the process for the certificate holder (Cirrus in our case) to approve it?

Thank you
Ibrahim
March 12.  I don't know the process to approve it.  That's a question for Cirrus.

*I edited this post because originally I typed "March 21" because of keyboard dyslexia.

Edited by AviSteve - 26 Apr 2018 at 4:44pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 10:52pm
Thanks for the info, I wish it was posted here as we have been "patiently" waiting for 8.2 for 2 years, now we have to wait for Cirrus to approve, hopefully they will do it soon. I wish things were simpler.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 1:46pm
Hello Jake,

With release 8.2, would the EX5000 interface with the Garmin GTX 345 to display traffic (once Cirrus approves it)?

Since IFD 440 release 10.2.1 removed aural alerts for traffic which was the main reason for installing ADS-B in for us, and the Skytrax 100 no longer being supported or updated, we are considering the  GTX 345. The GTX 345 independently announces traffic through the intercom with bearing, distance  and relative altitude. 

Thank you
Ibrahim
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 7:40am

Hello Jake,

With release 8.2, would the EX5000 interface with the Garmin GTX 345 to display traffic (once Cirrus approves it)?

Since IFD 440 release 10.2.1 removed aural alerts for traffic which was the main reason for installing ADS-B in for us, and the Skytrax 100 no longer being supported or updated, we are considering the  GTX 345. The GTX 345 independently announces traffic through the intercom with bearing, distance  and relative altitude. 

Thank you
Ibrahim
If the GTX345 outputs using Capstone format, then yes.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 8:36pm
Steve,

Given you guys support the GTX345 with the IFD navigators, presumably someone at Avidyne knows whether they output the right “Capstone” compatible message, right? This is literally a $1000 question for many people considering the 8.2 MFD software upgrade. Does Castone compatibility also include ADS-B weather from the 345?

Thanks!

Edited by Melohn - 01 May 2018 at 8:39pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Melohn Melohn wrote:

Steve,

Given you guys support the GTX345 with the IFD navigators, presumably someone at Avidyne knows whether they output the right “Capstone” compatible message, right? This is literally a $1000 question for many people considering the 8.2 MFD software upgrade. Does Castone compatibility also include ADS-B weather from the 345?

Thanks!

Capstone format includes both weather and traffic.  GTX345 outputs Capstone format, so yes it is compatible with MFD release 8.2.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:25am
Can the IFD 440 be used as a GPS source for the GTX 345 that does not have a built in GPS?
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:28am
I contacted Cirrus regarding revision 8.2, this is the reply from field service:

Ibrahim:
Here's an update for you.

I brought the issue to our Avionics & Electrical Engineering Team.  They are working towards a resolution.  I have not received an answer at this time.  Will advise when they issue an official response.

I do not know when they will release the response.   

I appreciate your patience in this matter.

Ross Sarkela
Field Support Representative
CIRRUS AIRCRAFT Corporation

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 11:32am

Can the IFD 440 be used as a GPS source for the GTX 345 that does not have a built in GPS?
Yes
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:21pm
Steve,

Great, thank you for all your help and the information. 

Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 5:10pm
Great! Thanks Steve!!
mcatanese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcatanese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:43am
Hi Steve...

I have a Bonanza with an EX500. Is that also supported with this release? If so, what do I need to do to update it?

Side question....the EX500 occasionally shows a 'traffic fail' and then it comes back to normal after a few seconds. Is this a known issue with software and was that fixed in this release?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by mcatanese mcatanese wrote:

Hi Steve...

I have a Bonanza with an EX500. Is that also supported with this release? If so, what do I need to do to update it?

Side question....the EX500 occasionally shows a 'traffic fail' and then it comes back to normal after a few seconds. Is this a known issue with software and was that fixed in this release?
Yes, the upgrade is also available for the EX500, but for that unit it is actually called "Release 4.2".  Avidyne has teamed with Duncan Aviation for EX500 maintenance, so you'll need to contact Duncan for the upgrade.  Avidyne and Duncan are still working out the last few details, though, so don't be surprised if they say it's not available yet.  It will be shortly.

The occasional traffic fail message isn't a software issue that I'm aware of, so my best advice there is to talk to your avionics shop or to talk with Duncan.  www.duncanaviation.aero 402-475-2611
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
mcatanese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcatanese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:11pm
Thanks Steve!

So I just got off the phone with Duncan and they specifically said that the 4.2 release for the EX500 will allow ADS-B weather but NOT XM weather. I had thought you could switch back and forth but evidently not. I guess I would be looking for a definitive answer from Avidyne on that.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by mcatanese mcatanese wrote:

Thanks Steve!

So I just got off the phone with Duncan and they specifically said that the 4.2 release for the EX500 will allow ADS-B weather but NOT XM weather. I had thought you could switch back and forth but evidently not. I guess I would be looking for a definitive answer from Avidyne on that.
That is incorrect.  You can configure the EX500 for either XM or ADS-B weather.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:25am
Still waiting for Cirrus and Avidyne to agree on a solution for release 8.2, hopefully they will work together instead of shifting the blame on who should approve it for release to the customers.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:54am
For my 2004 Columbia 350 I asked Textron Aviation Piston Support regarding their plans for the EX5000 R8.2 update. Three weeks ago I received their response:

We talked last week about a software upgrade to the Avidyne system that you have installed on your LC42-550FG. I checked with my product team for these airplanes and he advised that there are no plans to update the software to these systems. With our limited avionics engineering staff we are not able to get a software update to the current TTX (C240) that we produce. Unfortunately that means they are not going to update these older system. He did say that if someone wanted to update it would have to come via an STC or field approval. Thank you,

Seems to me that unless Avidyne can work with Textron, or unless my avionics shop can obtain a field approval, I will have to forego this update. 

I also wonder why Avidyne would develop further updates, if the TC holders will not approve them for release?
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:08pm
I deal with this same issue at work (not Avidyne/Textron, but same issue).  The equipment manufacturer designs and certifies a new software, then the airframe manufacturer (TC holder) has to certify that software and provide a service bulletin before the operator can load it and use the new features.

The alternative is that the equipment manufacturer obtains an STC for the installation and use of the software at the airframe level.  This takes the airframe OEM out of the loop.

There are two main problems with the STC method.  In some cases, the equipment manufacturer is contractually prohibited from pursuing such an STC (under the thinking that service bulletin revenue will be siphoned from the OEM).  But even if there is no such contractual limitation, the STC is expensive to obtain and therefore means additional expense to the operator purchasing the upgrade.  If the operator was expecting a free software upgrade, then there is no business case at all for the STC.

Edited by DavidBunin - 30 May 2018 at 3:10pm
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:12pm
Quote  With our limited avionics engineering staff we are not able to get a software update to the current TTX (C240) that we produce. Unfortunately that means they are not going to update these older system. He did say that if someone wanted to update it would have to come via an STC or field approval.

Awww, those poor things.  Glad I haven't bought any of their products recently.

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 7:13pm
It is really an unfortunate unintended consequence of tieing the avionics suite to the type data certificate. I'm not sure anyone considered the future effects of this. It becomes extremely problematic with low volume airframes where the business case for an STC is very difficult and likely unprofitable.

This will be an interesting space to watch in the future and one that we as pilot / owners should bring forward to the FAA or to one of the alphabet organizations like the Columbia type club, or AOPA, or someone like that.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:06pm
Avidyne is to blame as they kept announcing and advertising that the EX5000 will display weather and traffic from the MLB 100 when it was first introduced years ago.  
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:09pm
to blame for what?
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:29pm
To blame for false advertising that the EX5000 will display traffic and weather from the MLB/Skytrax 100, it is still showing on the Avidyne Skytrax 100 webpage then saying that it needs revision 8.2 to be able to do that. They have a picture of the EX5000 on the Skytrax 100 web page, kind of deceiving.  https://avidyne.com/products/978/index.html

To blame for keeping the hope up on Avidyne live that 8.2 is almost there for over 2 years, then when it was finally developed to push it on the TC holder for approval for installation. 

Avidyne is the one selling ADS-B solutions, not Cirrus, Piper or Columbia

I am just venting out of frustration, after waiting 2 years for 8.2 to come out, now we find out we may never be able to install it in the aircraft.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:59am
Ibraham, I think there is a little misplaced frustration here. I'll give you the product development delays of 8.2 - no argument here. However, it is now available to be used.

Let's take a step back and look at the integrated panel and how the manufacturer, the FAA, and the Avionics manufacturer connect together. Avidyne created an integrated panel, much the same as Garmin has done with the G1000 system, or Honeywell has done for larger airframes. There is no legal ability to install these into an aircraft without an STC (as some have done with the G1000 system for King Air for example) or as part of the Type Data Certificate held by the airframe manufacturer. In the case of Textron, they built hold the certificate for the Columbia/Corvalis airframes, and therefore, they are the only ones that can approve updates and substitutions unless a 3rd party creates an STC.

The blame is squarely on Textron on this one, much the same as they have orphaned the original G1000 platform where they haven't approved software updates to allow ADS-B solutions to the G1000 and have said they don't plan to. Their solution is to add a Garmin GTX345 rather than update the software and integrated hardware.

Textron is terrible at supporting GA aircraft and it is extremely frustrating for us owners. This is where your blame should be place, not with Avidyne. Avidyne has completed the software update and it is available - Textron chooses not to approve it for installation into your airframe.

Edited by Gring - 31 May 2018 at 10:07am
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:20pm
I've been upgrading the software on my Entegra PFD and MFD multiple times over the years and so far, no problem.  Until 8.2.  Thankfully, I don't need the upgrade, but I sure needed the earlier ones.  I wonder why there was no STC difficulty with the earlier upgrades.

I also wonder whether, under the FAA's new certification procedures, whether an STC is necessary for software upgrades.  And if so, why?

I can see why the avionics manufacturer has to satisfy the FAA that the box works, and that it still works after a software upgrade.  Avidyne has cleared that hurdle for 8.2, so I have no questions on that issue in this message.  

I can also see why you need an STC to install an FAA approved MFD in a particular certificated airplane design, because it does take some connections to the plane's hardware.  But I don't understand why the software in the box must also be STC'd, once the original hardware has been certified in the plane.  What if all the software upgrade does is speed up the algorithms so it runs a little faster?  What if it changes the color of the magenta line slightly?  What is the criteria for a software change that so alters the box that it's not the same box anymore?

I'm not digging into this because I don't need 8.2.  But it sure is puzzling.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:30pm
Thanks for the information, it has been a very frustrating 2 years, the main reason for our avionics upgrade was to have traffic, we were reassured by the Avidyne sales rep that with a simple software upgrade that was in development at the time, we would have traffic on the MFD.  We were not expecting that would take 2 years  and then being told that the aircraft manufacturer has to approve the update. 

In addition, we were content to have traffic alerts on the IFD 440, but then Avidyne decided to eliminate the aural warning for traffic with 10.2.1

If we had known all this at that time, we would have spent the money on a different traffic system.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic