Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Terrain Alert - how to temporarily silence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CardinalRG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terrain Alert - how to temporarily silence
    Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 3:45pm
I'm looking for a way to quickly acknowledge and silence aural terrain alerts.  Currently the alerts continue until the terrain danger ends.  This is a problem in controlled airspace with high towers near by.  Bitchin' Betty often starts nagging during ATC communications, especially in control zones with high towers nearby (eg 1815 foot tall CN tower in CYTZ control zone)

Ideally, I would like to be able to press the terrain alert softkey to acknowledge the warning and thereby temporarily silence the aural alerts for 2 minutes.

I am not interested in disabling this feature nor fiddling with the set-up screen in flight to temporarily turn off the aural warnings. 

A related but separate concern is that the dimmed night screen goes full bright during the terrain alert. This is akin to shining a flash light in ones eyes during night ops. 

I suggest that the screen brightness setting not change during terrain warnings and that only the soft key or AUX keys go full bright or flash to get one's attention.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 10:42pm
My understanding is that we'll be able to connect an external "audio alert" switch so that we can quickly and easily turn off warnings when desired without having to go through the setup pages.  I assume we'll still get the CAS alert.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 10:27am
As an interim solution, you might try setting the Alerts Audio to a lower volume level. In my airplane, I have the ability to turn the alerts off from my audio panel if I want to. 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 3:47pm
Touch the terrain alert CAS message (or press the bezel CLR key) which instantly turns off the aural alerting (but keeps the alert lamp and map coloration).

Edited by AviJake - 08 Aug 2016 at 3:47pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic