Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 & Stec-55x Glideslope Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesronc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 & Stec-55x Glideslope Wiring
    Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 5:31pm
I have the above with an NSD-360A HSI installed in April; GS arms but won't couple. HSI GS indications normal. ILS & GPS with vertical guidance both don't couple. I thought at first I just didn't have the parameters just right, but after more than a dozen precision approaches I've definitely got the flying part down. It looks like the 540 has 3 GS output wires and the Stec wants 4. Has anybody had this problem or know of a likely fix? Thx.
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:37pm
I had a 55x installed on my Bonanza with a 540 a few months ago by Stellar Avionics in Chester, CT. You might want to give them a call. I have a King HSI, although I can't imagine why that would make a difference. Mine works flawlessly after one initial glitch was fixed.

Edited by rolfe_tessem - 21 Aug 2016 at 10:40pm
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 10:23am
Does your 55x have autotrim?  BH
BH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by wookie wookie wrote:

Does your 55x have autotrim?  BH

Yes it does and it works perfectly!

Rolfe
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 4:58pm
Reason I ask is that there are some installations where auto trim is required
for GS coupling.   Not an issue here, it's something else.   BH
BH
jonesronc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesronc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 11:08am

My current aircraft doesn't have autotrim, but neither did my previous twin with a -30, and it coupled fine.

Al at Avidyne tech support said go from GAMA 429 to GAMA 429 with Graphics/INT on the ARINC config page, but the aircraft couldn't hardly keep course with that.  S-Tec said go with the plain ARINC 429 format.  Which format are y'all using?

Ron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 9:45am
Originally posted by jonesronc jonesronc wrote:

My current aircraft doesn't have autotrim, but neither did my previous twin with a -30, and it coupled fine.

Al at Avidyne tech support said go from GAMA 429 to GAMA 429 with Graphics/INT on the ARINC config page, but the aircraft couldn't hardly keep course with that.  S-Tec said go with the plain ARINC 429 format.  Which format are y'all using?

Ron

I'm sure my avionics shop knows, but I haven't a clue.

I'm due in there shortly for a Sandia Quattro and will ask...

Rolfe

wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 11:45am
All the 429 affects is GPS steering.

The '30 only supports altitude hold as a vertical mode.... it does not have GS coupling

FWIW.   BH
BH
jonesronc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesronc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 11:22am

Regarding -30, come to think of it, you're right - I would set trim for Ground Speed/2 *100 = fpm and down I'd go; I was confusing that with a TruTrak I was flying at the time.

Regarding ARINC, why did Avidyne think it was an ARINC issue when I called them?

Ron

wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 3:45pm
If the 429 isn't connecting, the symptom would be that the gpss would just wander around.   There are several flavors and speeds on 429 -- I'm not conversant, sorry.  bh
BH
jonesronc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesronc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 3:41pm
Fixed the problem; one of the high density pins on P1001 had lost its lock and was pushing in when the radio was loaded into its tray.  Reset the pin and all works now.  yay
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic