Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD100 - can it run without a connection?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD100 - can it run without a connection?
    Posted: 20 Nov 2016 at 3:51pm
As I understand it, the IFD100 contains the codebase of the main IFD units. So, will the IFD100 have any functionality when it is NOT wifi'd to your aircraft panel?

Obviously it doesn't have position and other derived data, so it can't fully function, but can you for example load flight plans and such when not in the plane?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Nov 2016 at 3:55pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 2:55am
+1
This is a key question. I have been using the sim to create and transfer FPN & WPT to/from the IFD540. However, it seems that this could be problematic since the software release level is not in sync between the two.

And a subsidiary question: is it necessary for the IFD100 to be at the same software level as the in-panel units? If so, how is this maintained if the IFD100 is retrieved from a cloud source that just provides latest release available?  
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 7:14am
More good questions.

* Orest

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

As I understand it, the IFD100 contains the codebase of the main IFD units. So, will the IFD100 have any functionality when it is NOT wifi'd to your aircraft panel?

Obviously it doesn't have position and other derived data, so it can't fully function, but can you for example load flight plans and such when not in the plane?

* Orest

Yes, if you store a flight plan on the IFD100 when not connected to the IFD4xx or IFD5xx, it will sync up once you connect to the IFD in your aircraft.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

+1
This is a key question. I have been using the sim to create and transfer FPN & WPT to/from the IFD540. However, it seems that this could be problematic since the software release level is not in sync between the two.

And a subsidiary question: is it necessary for the IFD100 to be at the same software level as the in-panel units? If so, how is this maintained if the IFD100 is retrieved from a cloud source that just provides latest release available?  

Yes, the IFD100 and the IFD in your aircraft need to have the same software level (10.2 or later) and the same NavData.

The IFD100 will be updated in concert with IFD releases so that there aren't any issues.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

it will sync up once you connect to the IFD in your aircraft.

Thanks, another one ...   

In the absence of a wifi connection to a panel mount uni  can the IFD100 potentially use the tablet GPS, or is it navigation-less without an IFD wifi connection.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 4:51pm
It can't use the internal tablet GPS for navigation at this point. Maybe, in the future.

A cool development we recently baked into the trainer sim. If you have 2 ipads, one running the IFD100 and the other running the trainer sim and they are both on the same WiFi network, the trainer sim will send the IFD100 GPS and flight plan information.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2016 at 5:12pm
But this will be a bit different than the IFD100-IFD540 sync, right? So the sim doesn't need to be at the same software and navdata versions as the IFD100 (like the IFD100 needs to be with the IFD540)? Today, the sim indicates "S/W Ver: IFD540 Simulator" on the AUX/SYS screen which normally shows the software version, and the navdata on my sim is Worldwide 1302

Will WPTs also be provided to the IFD100?

Is the connection only one-way (i.e. sim --> IFD100)?

Edited by chflyer - 21 Nov 2016 at 5:13pm
Vince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 8:50am
Yes, the connection for the sim to IFD100 is different than the panel mount IFD to IFD100. No, the software level for the sim will need to be updated (it should be released in the coming weeks). With the new sim, there will be a way to keep it up to date with the current nav cycle. 
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2016 at 9:09am

With the new sim, there will be a way to keep it up to date with the current nav cycle. 

Excellent!
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 10:37pm
Ifd 100. I just saw an ad for avidyne on the web. Will it or the sim be released soon. If not advertising something that seems to be a memory is kind of wrong. It is sounding like the political system now. Who can you believe, when is it coming? Like the movie Apollo 13, give us what you have like the sim, but do something. Your loyal customers are starting to fade and about to turn blue. Asking for something. If it can't be approved, say that. We are big boys. Let's move on.
Khuffine
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2017 at 11:13pm
Well, IDK, my 540 with 10.1.3 is running quite well, and I am really enjoying all its feature.

Sure, I pine for the 10.2 goodies like everyone else, but it is not like the 540 doesn't work now.

* Orest

khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 9:28am
That's not the point..if you advertise something , produce it or it's just a distraction. Mine works fine but I am holding off on several things to install for 9 months now on a lot of hype. I have dealt with the Feds on some things. I know they drag their feet cause I have talked to their bosses. Gov sucks
Khuffine
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 11:20am
Khuffine, we all have an opinion on this and there is no right or wrong. But basing your buying decisions on hype is your decision and shouldn't be placed on Avidyne's plate. If you need it now, choose something that is available now. Waiting is always an uncertain game.

Managing customer expectations is a fine art and no company can please everyone. Avidyne and Garmin have very different approaches, probably dictated in part by company size and market share/impact. One can complain about both, but it doesn't change anything. Garmin is a bit like IBM was in the early computer days (and some would say Apple is today). They decide what the market wants/needs and when (in their opinion) and set the reference price points. The competition reacts. Garmin feature announcements and availability usually pretty much coincide. There is no pre-announce to get people's mouths watering because they have such a large installed base to protect. I'm sure there were many upset people when the new transponders were announced, because they had just bought a 330ES that was obsolete overnight. Similar goes for the external Flightstream box that is now essentially integrated into an SD card.

I agree that Avidyne announces product long before it is ready. I waited over 3 years for my IFD540. Avidyne has possibly forced Garmin to react to competition, but Garmin has the power and resources to wait until just before Avidyne delivers on their promise. If I bought my IFD540 only because of the promise of future two-way wifi capability then that was stupid on my part because Garmin recently announced and delivered it and Avidyne is still working on it. But I didn't. Like Orest, I'm spending my time enjoying the use of the IFD540 that I have today, and learning something new about it every day too. It is a very satisfying experience. Sure, I was excited by the IFD announcements last spring. But I quickly realised that it could be over a year or more before it would be approved, available, and proven since all the elements including new hardware product are tied together. I'll enjoy it once it arrives, whenever that may be.
Vince
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 2:07pm
Enjoy it and keep on smiling...it's very healthy.
Khuffine
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 12:00pm
I do agree with your point, Khuffine, that Avidyne should make a distinction in their marketing between what is available/installable and what is coming. Those of us with installed equipment and following the forum for a few years know all the details, but a new prospective customer is unable to distinguish on the Avidyne web site the functionality of an installation done today from what is planned. That is misleading and could easily lead to someone spending a lot of money and then discover that the box can't do what he was sold.
Vince
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 12:40am
AviSimpson wrote:
Yes, the IFD100 and the IFD in your aircraft need to have the same software level (10.2 or later) and the same NavData.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
====================
Simpson, 
OK, the 100 and the IFD must have the same NAV data.  Is the cost of NAV data for the 100's defined? documented? available to us commoners? NOT written by Jepp (:>) ? Do we have to pay Jepp extra for each 100? Dealing with Jepp makes me believe there will be a lot more questions. (:<)

Jim Patton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2017 at 8:49am
Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

AviSimpson wrote:
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
====================
Simpson, 
OK, the 100 and the IFD must have the same NAV data.  Is the cost of NAV data for the 100's defined? documented? available to us commoners? NOT written by Jepp (:>) ? Do we have to pay Jepp extra for each 100? Dealing with Jepp makes me believe there will be a lot more questions. (:<)

The IFD100 nav database is included with your Jepp package. There should be no additional charge to the user.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 9:38am

The IFD100 nav database is included with your Jepp package. There should be no additional charge to the user.

Does that mean it's included for those of us who don't have the full Jepp IFD data package?  I only have the Western US nav data subscription.  I recall from other threads on the forum that the "one subscription covers all the IFDs in the plane" only applies if the data subscription is for the full data package.

David
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 11:12am
How is the the nav data updated on the IFD100? Through the IFDx40 or by some other process?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

Does that mean it's included for those of us who don't have the full Jepp IFD data package?  I only have the Western US nav data subscription.  I recall from other threads on the forum that the "one subscription covers all the IFDs in the plane" only applies if the data subscription is for the full data package.

David

It's included for everyone and matches your Jepp subscription. If you only have the Western US, you'll get the Western US on the IFD100. If you don't have charts, you won't have them on the IFD100. 
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

How is the the nav data updated on the IFD100? Through the IFDx40 or by some other process?

Database updates are done over a normal wifi or cellular network.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:41pm
So how do those updates relate to our jepp subscription if they are coming over wifi? Wifi from where?
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 5:50pm
My guess would be from the IFD. I would expect all that to be described in the IFD100 PG once it is released.... (hint, hint). There is nothing in the IFD540 10.2 Draft that was released for us to drool over.
Vince
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 9:23am

Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

David

It's included for everyone and matches your Jepp subscription. If you only have the Western US, you'll get the Western US on the IFD100. If you don't have charts, you won't have them on the IFD100. 

Awesome!  Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 9:30am
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

So how do those updates relate to our jepp subscription if they are coming over wifi? Wifi from where?

At initial startup of the IFD100, you are asked for your Jepp account so that you can access the data you have subscriptions for. The wifi (from a FBO, your home, Starbucks, public library) or over cellular network (AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone)
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 12:11pm
Good morning Simpson,

Would it be possible for Avidyne to release the IFD 100 and the 10.2 simulator on the iPad in order for us to be familiar with them for when 10.2 is finally approved and released? I don't believe the iPad apps require FAA approval and this will improve safety by being familiar and proficient with the new features before flying with the new version in the airplane?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 1:54pm
Yes and no. The IFD100 won't be released ahead of the 10.2 approval. With that said, the IFD100 user guide should be available soon.

We hope to have the trainer app available shortly as well.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 7:34pm
Fair to say that all are eager, as y'all probably are too.

JOOC - is there a plan for 10.3?
David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2017 at 8:29am
The IFD100 UG and trainer app would be nice, to keep the hounds distracted while the real thing progresses....
Vince
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Fair to say that all are eager, as y'all probably are too.

JOOC - is there a plan for 10.3?

There is always a "next software".  I'm sure they have plans for a 10.2.1 and a 10.3 software.

David Bunin

Kremski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kremski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:10pm
I have two (2) IPads running. Larger one IFD Trainer, Mini IFD100.
Is there some process to get them to connect? I start both apps and wait. What do I do next? Wait, Push something, or is there a glitch with the new IFD100?
any response would be appreciated.
Mike Kremski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by Kremski Kremski wrote:

I have two (2) IPads running. Larger one IFD Trainer, Mini IFD100.
Is there some process to get them to connect? I start both apps and wait. What do I do next? Wait, Push something, or is there a glitch with the new IFD100?
any response would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

Are they connected to the same WiFi network? There are some restrictions that some LAN have that might inhibit the connection between the two apps. I am waiting to have a recommended LAN setting before I send a configuration recommendation.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
rfriend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:47pm
Mr. Bennett, I have unsuccessfully attempted to have the my 440 unit join my stratus II network in the aircraft making sure the ifd 440 was set to remote and setting up the stratus  in the appropriate maintenance page. I am attempting to be able to switch back and forth between apps on the iPad 9.7 with nothing but this two apps installed. I have no problem connecting the ifd100 software with the ifd440 and have flown with no issues on it set to local and connecting to the ifd440 network. Sees this should be possible. Any ideas special settings recommended. (beta testing for Foreflight)   Thanks.

Kremski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kremski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:22pm
Yes they are connected to the same WiFi network. I attempted on my home network last evening, and now on my work WiFi same problem.

thanks
Mike
Mike Kremski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Kremski Kremski wrote:

Yes they are connected to the same WiFi network. I attempted on my home network last evening, and now on my work WiFi same problem.

thanks
Mike

Right, even if they are on the same WiFi LAN and the security settings (your router UDP settings needs to be set to broadcast) aren't set correctly, it won't work.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by rfriend rfriend wrote:

Mr. Bennett, I have unsuccessfully attempted to have the my 440 unit join my stratus II network in the aircraft making sure the ifd 440 was set to remote and setting up the stratus  in the appropriate maintenance page. I am attempting to be able to switch back and forth between apps on the iPad 9.7 with nothing but this two apps installed. I have no problem connecting the ifd100 software with the ifd440 and have flown with no issues on it set to local and connecting to the ifd440 network. Sees this should be possible. Any ideas special settings recommended. (beta testing for Foreflight)   Thanks.

I don't have a recommendation. Currently, ForeFlight isn't supporting two-way communications. You say you are beta testing for them so I don't know what their capabilities are at the moment.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
jscatter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jscatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:42pm
No matter what route I put into the IFD100 my IFD100 position reverts to KBED.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic