Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Codes for ICAO flight plan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N927BC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Codes for ICAO flight plan
    Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 12:24pm
Does the IFD540 qualify as a FMS in the ICAO flight plan? Do I check the FMS box on the ICAO flight plan form
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 12:47pm
The IFD is an FMS.  I don't see an FMS box on the ICAO flight plan form.
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:27pm
Looking through the equipment options, I am thinking: SBGLORY

Thoughts? Catchy... 

Doug
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 9:55pm
This is how I do it. The screen shots are from DUATS but any flight planning software will be similar.

I have an MLB100, so I have 1090 ADS-B out and UAT ADS-B in. But there's no code for that. So it's indicated by the 260B in the SUR/ field. There was another thread here a long time ago that explained it.

All of the other field values are derived from the information in the IFD540 flight manual supplement. The CODE/ field is the hexadecimal address of my transponder.

Mike

wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 1:44am
Actually

You are missing Y.
In europe this is now relevant in many countries.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 2:58am
There was already a long discussion within the last week on this in the Entegra General Information forum. Although the codes might be slightly different depending on the box, I would suggest that the Avidyne moderator merge the two since the discussion is largely overlapping.

R and the associated PBN remark is a can of worms and isn't necessary (or used by ATC) in the USA. As far as I know it is only required for IFR flight plans in Europe. It is designed to reflect performance capability/approval and not just installed equipment. I think the PBN list above is too short for a normal IFD installation. I would suggest the following: PBN/A1B2C2D2L1O2S1. That is what is coded by autorouter.eu if the aircraft is configured with an Avidyne IFD box.

Yes, Y is needed for Europe due to certain airspace requirements for 8.33kHz. If it is coded then the IFD also needs to have 8.33kHz selected in the SETUP/User Options. Is 8.33kHz used at all in the USA?

Edited by chflyer - 12 Jan 2017 at 2:58am
Vince
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 3:06am
I use:

SBDFGRY/S

and in other information
PBN/B2S1 NAV/SBAS

I do however have both DME and ADF which are used in Europe.

Many of the other PBN codes require additional equipment which you will typically not find in GA aircraft.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 7:58am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

.... Is 8.33kHz used at all in the USA?

No, not in US nor Canada. There may be a move to assign 833 spacing for some of the high enroute frequencies, which won't affect small plane GA.

I have 833 turned OFF, to speed up tuning.

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 8:01am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

... I would suggest the following: PBN/A1B2C2D2L1O2S1. That is what is coded by autorouter.eu if the aircraft is configured with an Avidyne IFD box.

That is what I came up with a few years ago, reading through the codes. I think that ATC on this side of the Atlantic ignores that string for the most part, so for now it doesn't make a lot of difference what you have.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 12 Jan 2017 at 8:10am
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 2:12pm
This is from the Avidyne official tech support portal

https://techsupport.avidyne.com/portal/helpcenter/articles/ifd540-ifd440-icao-filing-codes

FD540 / IFD440 ICAO Filing Codes

540/440 Equipment Qualifier:

B – LPV

L – ILS

O – VOR

R – PBN Approved

S – VHF, VOR, ILS

Y – VHF w/8.33 kHz spacing

PBN string:

A1 – RNP10

C2 – RNAV-2

D2 – RNAV-1

L1 – RNP4

S1 – RNP APCH

And if the AXP340 or AXP322 are thrown in, you pick up

Surveillance:

E – Mode S, including aircraft ID, pressure altitude, extended squitter

B1 – ADS-B with dedicated 1090 MHz ADS-B Out Capability

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 6:12pm
The above list is also in the FAQ, question 6.
Vince
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 7:50pm
As I understand the codes required by the FAA for US operators (and I’m willing to be corrected as may be necessary):

Item 10 should include neither L nor O, since S already indicates that capability.  The letter G is missing from Item 10, which is required to indicate that the IFD is a GPS capable system.  And the letter Z is missing, which is required to indicate that there are “other” entries in Item 18 besides PBN.

Missing from Item 18 is NAV/SBAS, indicating that the IFD WAAS capability relies upon a Space Based Augmentation System (as opposed to a ground-based system).  It is this entry that requires the letter Z in Item 10.  See JO 7110.10Y, Appendix A – ICAO Flight Plans.

In my plane, which has an IFD440 and an ADS-B 1090 in and out system, my codes are:

Item 10:  SBGRYZ/EB2

Item 18:  PBN/A1C2D2L1S1  NAV/SBAS  SUR/260B  CODE/XXXX

Not sure why Avidyne does not include B2 in the PBN string, but I’m assuming it’s because C2 (RNP 2) is a stiffer requirement than B2 (RNP 5) capability, and because B2 reflects Europe’s RNP 5 (B-RNAV) standard, which is apparently not used in the US.

You could omit the PBN codes A1 and L1 if you don’t fly in oceanic airspace.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic