Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KML files

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KML files
    Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 2:20am
I enjoy being able to review a flight in Google Earth. I wanted a way to do that without having to activate tracking on my portable GPS. Therefore, I wrote this python script to pull the data from the flight log (and the system log, due to Avidyne not putting the GPS altitude in the flight log). It appears I cannot attach these files to the forum, so I've made them available via DropBox if you are interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/twyenjrjvhjya21/AACT8YrCX0orXGJDHVwS4Laka?dl=0

If you are comfortable running a python script, you are welcome to them. Copy down both files, and run ifd_fl_to_kml.py -h to see the documentation. The end result is a kml file per flight that you can open in Google Earth to see a 3-D image of your flight path.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 3:32am
Cool!

* Orest

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 7:55am
2 years ago I used the IFD540 data log to plot my course, including GPS altitude on google earth. At that time Avidyne helped me split the large log file into smaller ones so I could get it into a .kml format. It's been too long and I'm not a computer guy so I don't remember the details, but at the time I thought it was interesting.

It happened one night that some pilot departed VFR while my airport was IMC an I was on the instrument approach and after breaking out I had to circle to land to avoid a head on collision with the guy. Not Happy! No radio calls, nothing. The only thing I had was my traffic system alerting me to a problem.

I had his tail number from my Avidyne traffic system and tracked him to NJ, called the airport, got his address and phone number. ATC made me fill out a report and I used the data to prove where I was and that I was correct.

Turns out the guy had a student pilot license since the early 2000s and no medical. And here is a lesson for everyone. He lawyered up, refused to speak with the FAA and they couldn't do anything to him because they couldn't prove he was flying.

In any case, the IFD540 data was invaluable.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 2:35pm
A good thing that he at least turned his transponder on, "adventurers" like this, often don't. Hopefully he doesn't take someone out, with his career ending maneuver.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 22 Jan 2017 at 2:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic