Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Garmin G5 with the IFD540?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garmin G5 with the IFD540?
    Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 12:49pm

I was looking at the Garmin G5 to replace my aging attitude indicator, but it needs to be connected to a GPS (or to a GPS antenna). Looks like only Garmin equipment is specified in the installation manual.

Does anyone know if this can be (legally) attached to the IFD540, seeing as it's compatible with the GNS530W?

DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 2:56pm
In a word, yes...the G5 uses the MapMX protocol which the IFD540 can output.
However, a more redundant pathway is to use the G5's internal GPS receiver, but this does require the installation of a separate GPS antenna.
Interestingly, the non-certified version of the G5 has the option to utilise the antenna embedded in the edge of the instrument and it works perfectly.
Overall the G5 is an impressive, low cost instrument.

Edited by DH82FLYER - 24 Jan 2017 at 4:29pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:05pm
I installed the Sandia Quattro. Prefer it as it does not need a GPS input, and all of its indications (AI, ASI, ALT) are certified which allows more flexibility in panel changes.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 24 Jan 2017 at 3:06pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:59pm
Another option is the L3 ESI-500 which I installed including GPS and VOR information from both IFD540s.  Works great and doesn't have some of the issues the G5 has with attitude display.  It is also approved as a backup to both G500 and Aspen PFDs.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

Another option is the L3 ESI-500 which I installed including GPS and VOR information from both IFD540s.  Works great and doesn't have some of the issues the G5 has with attitude display.  It is also approved as a backup to both G500 and Aspen PFDs.

I looked at the L3, it certainly is a top end device. But they had a Sandia in stock and there was some time pressure.

What is the G5 attitude display issue?

* Orest

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 7:43pm
There is/was some instability when used in floating panels that I believe has been addressed with a new software release (recent).
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 7:57pm
Ah, the div/0 error. The G firmware did not allow for a heading of 0 (vice 360) on the 429 bus.

* Orest

jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by bcool bcool wrote:

I was looking at the Garmin G5 to replace my aging attitude indicator, but it needs to be connected to a GPS (or to a GPS antenna). Looks like only Garmin equipment is specified in the installation manual.

Does anyone know if this can be (legally) attached to the IFD540, seeing as it's compatible with the GNS530W?

We just flew our Glastar home from the shop today with its new G5 installed and talking to our IFD540. We also took advantage of TruTrak's trade-in program and upgraded to the Gemini AP. For $1500 (plus install) we now have an autopilot with GPSS, altitude and vertical speed pre-select, etc.

So far so good... :-)

Next time I should shoot a pic with the power on I guess.

Jeremy
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 7:24am
N!ce looking panel. My interest in installing a true backup would be to add an additional pitot static system. I've an Aspen and a single P/S system. The Aspen is real critical about a good sealed up system. However, when these systems are installed they are tee'd in the P/S giving additional points for the opportunity of failure. Anyone else thinking like this?
bcool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 2:23pm
An interesting update: while at Oshkosh last week I talked with an Avidyne rep about getting the Garmin G5 STC'd to work with the IFD540/550s. He said that it should be coming in October, or whenever the next release of the O/S comes out.

That would be great news, because I'm tired of throwing money at my still non-functional King HSI :)
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 4:03pm
I am VERY interested in a G5 as an HSI, so this is good news.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 6:15pm
Hope it's really true, and not just an instance of a sales guy telling a customer what he wants to hear....
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 4:26pm
Mark:  Did your shop connect the Avidyne IFD #56 pin (RS232 out) to the G5 #4 D9 pin?
Then on the G5:   Signal (or what I call equipment) ground to #6,  and positive power to #7 and aircraft ground to #9?
with RS232 and signal ground shielded.
JWJ
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 8:55am
Good Morning Jeremy,  

Looks great! Now, just dump that dangerous, lying Turn Coordinator  and replace it with a proper,
reliable, and honest Turn and Bank.  You will then have a Great Panel,

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

How's things going at PML?
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic