Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jeppdirect Failure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeppdirect Failure?
    Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:14am
I think I'm stumped - I'm trying to order a data subscription for my IFD540 via Jeppdirect and am unable to do so.   I find the IFD540 option, select nav data for all the U.S. for $480, add it to the cart, and then am presented with the screen below.   Notice that the link on the upper right corner indicates there is one item in the cart, but the screen shows the cart to be empty.   I've done this with Chrome and Safari so don't think it's a browser issue.

How is everyone else subscribing to data for their IFD?

Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:20am
Hi Brad-

My experience is that calling Jeppesen at 800 621-5377 works a lot better than trying to muddle through their website.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:21am
Jeppesen's website (along with most of the rest of the business side of their comapny) is ridiculously screwy.  I've had better results calling and speaking to someone on the phone.
bradthepilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:30am
Thanks for the quick responses!   I'll call them tomorrow.
Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
squeege View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squeege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 12:02pm
I communicate by email captain@jeppesen.com

They will usually answer within hours, even on a Sunday.

Louise
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 1:58pm
I called Jepp over a week ago to review/renew my subscription... even though I was promised a callback in one day, none has come.
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 2:06pm
My experience was the same. I called them directly, and their salesperson was very helpful. He made sure I had a working download before the call ended. He admitted that the software is garbage and they've been trying to get a replacement system going.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:30am
I've had good luck with calling and with the captain@jeppesen.com email staff. Interestingly, when I bought my first Jepp subscription last year, they told me they were in the process of revamping their website. Apparently that either didn't get done, or made things worse.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 10:48am
They've been claiming to be in the process of re-doing their website for at least two years.  I'm starting to wonder if it's just a placebo they offer to frustrated customers.
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 2:09pm
I spent a long time on the phone with Jepp today talking about IFD540 'bundles', coverages, what's included and what's not, pricing, web site, and some of the difficulties with Jepp that some folks mention. It is best for one to talk in person to the Jepp sales force before ordering coverage for use in your IFD unit(s). Their web site for picking coverages does not necessarily give you the choices that you might want. Some bundles differ from others in ways that are not immediately apparent - for example, iPad data.

My current bundle is:
Electronic Chart Services.Avidyne.IFD540.Jepp Services Suite Plus.Avionics
Integrated Bundled Services.Avidyne.Bundle Fee
NavData.IFR.Coverage.Avidyne.IFD540.East/Central USA
Obstacles.Coverage.Avidyne.IFD540.East/Central USA
Terrain.Coverage.Avidyne.IFD540.Worldwide
Electronic Chart Services.Eastern US.JV MFD IFR.Coverage
NOT LISTED - iPad data for up to 4 iPads

This is the most efficient cost bundle for my general flying purposes. The cost is $962.50

I don't need/use the iPad program as I have subscription to Foreflight due to that program's superior features to Jepp's Flight Deck. I cannot drop support for the iPad - in order to get a bundle without iPad, I would have to get the Full US for $1011.90. Since I never fly my Cardinal west of the MS River, that bundle would be not as useful as what I have. When I fly my corporate gigs, the east of the MS River bundle works well because I never know where we are going until we go. 

I could drop the Electronic Chart service and save several hundred dollars, but then I'd have to depend on my iPad which has shut down from overtemp more than once during a flight. Having this happen during approach would be unacceptable, thus I keep the Chart data on the IFD540. And, when the 10.2 releases, I'll be able to 'split-screen' so I can see the Jepp plate AND the flight information at the same time.

There is an option to call and order a 28-day trip bundle, but the cost of that is nearly what the annual subscription for that area is anyway. Not really a viable option.

So - talk with Jepp before you order, tell them what you'd like to see for options and bundles, and encourage them to revise the web site, maybe adding a matrix of what's included in each bundle. I would never have found that iPad was supported in one bundle but not in another and not removable as an option, for example. And, they never told me that unique feature difference in the two years that I have been subscribing. 

Jepp is listening - They have thanked me for all the suggestions I've put forward. We need to talk more to them as a new market that needs some attention and some consideration so that they recognize the need to put Avidyne users on a higher priority and adjust some of their bundles to better serve pilots' needs. For example, I'd like to have an ala carte menu where I can create my area of flying as a GA private pilot. Help them understand that a restructure of the bundles and pricing might well lead to more sales rather than less.
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:01pm
For your initial subscription purchase I recommend going through Todd Adams at Lancaster Avionics.  He helped me decide what it was I really needed and also gave me a 20% (I think it was) discount on my first year.

After talking about what I had, IFD540, 2 iPads with Foreflight, I decided that I only needed the Nav Data from Jeppesen.  My thought process was that I have charts on Foreflight with geo-referencing.   Trying to see charts on the IFD is a pain and my iPad is right there on the left side next to my yoke, much easier to see.  I don't need continual update to obstacles or terrain.  Terrain doesn't change and obstacles don't change very fast.  Besides, I fly mostly IFR.  Almost all flying is done above MVA and what is not is on radar vectors or on an approach.  If I'm flying VFR, I'm looking at terrain on Foreflight too.  It was much cheaper this way.  The full package was around $1000 but the Nav Data only was $395 this year but discounted on the first year from Todd.  You can reach Adam at Lancaster Avionics,  sales@lancasteravionics.com.
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:24pm
Oh now you tell me!
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 10:33pm
Sorry,  I don't hover on this board too much.  Just waiting, and waiting, and waiting for 10.2 to come out.  That is when I will have the MLB100 installed at the same time as the update.  Then to see if I can cram a third iPad onto the panel for the IFD100 into my little C172.

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by ac11 ac11 wrote:

Oh now you tell me!

I agree with your cost logic.  I also cancelled my full Jepp Rx for the Dual IFD's, and will also only Rx the IFD Nav Database.

For me, the major factor in making this discount decision is the intolerable delay of v10.2 and subsequent non-existence of the IFD100 to display the Jepp Charts. Why pay for promised but not delivered features? 

My Aspen MFD via Seattle Avionics (and iPad ForeFlight & FlyQ) supply IAP's just fine.  I will only purchase the expensive Jepp Rx package when Avidyne v10.2 and the IFD100 are around to coordinate and display these advertised products.

Tom W.
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:20am
I also agree, I use my Aspen 1500 system to display the IAP's along with the FlyQ app on my Ipad. I am looking forward to the time when 10.2 is released but I am not going to provide the monopoly with my hard earned dollars when it doesn't work yet.  (note: I am also a MAC guy and the new system isn't available yet for MAC so,...)
Sauce
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 5:34pm
When I recently renewed my subscription, I noticed that for the first time there was a sizable amount for sales tax.  I asked Jepp about this because my state is one that has no sales tax on any aviation related purchases or service.  Jepp's answer was that the product has been re-categorized by many states and is now subject to sales tax when it wasn't before.  I'm not sure how to check on this but that was their story.
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 7:35pm
Just one more reason to ask for the Seattle Avionics solution. It is terrible that a monopoly like Jepp can control a market and the alternative is not allowed to step on to the field.

JMHO
Sauce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic