Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD clock reset to 00:00 Aug 22, 1999?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD clock reset to 00:00 Aug 22, 1999?
    Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 12:01am
Thought about flying today but decided to leave the plane in the hangar.  While I was there, I powered up the panel to update the IFD data products.  After completion, when I rebooted the box, it warned me that the data products I just loaded were out of sync with the system time, which surprised me, because all the products were currently valid.

When I looked closer, I realized the system date was being reported as Aug 22, 1999, and that the clock started counting from 00:00 when the box was powered up.

I last flew less than two weeks ago (Jan 29).  Isn't there a capacitor or button battery that will keep the clock running in the background to maintain current time?  I don't recall seeing the clock reset like this before, and this is not the first time I've powered up in the hangar without a view of the GPS satellites.

Edited by MysticCobra - 12 Feb 2017 at 12:02am
bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 6:34am
Interesting. I loaded updates to my two 540s yesterday, and got a sync error on my #1 unit. All of the data on both units reflected the same valid dates. I recycled power and reloaded the data to the #1 unit, and the issue resolved. I did not check the date/time display before recycling power, so don't know if I had the exact issue you did, but it's curious to me nonetheless.
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Thought about flying today but decided to leave the plane in the hangar.  While I was there, I powered up the panel to update the IFD data products.  After completion, when I rebooted the box, it warned me that the data products I just loaded were out of sync with the system time, which surprised me, because all the products were currently valid.

When I looked closer, I realized the system date was being reported as Aug 22, 1999, and that the clock started counting from 00:00 when the box was powered up.

I last flew less than two weeks ago (Jan 29).  Isn't there a capacitor or button battery that will keep the clock running in the background to maintain current time?  I don't recall seeing the clock reset like this before, and this is not the first time I've powered up in the hangar without a view of the GPS satellites.

Tech support will want to hear about this issue and will likely want to look at the logs. There is a battery that keeps date and time information. (techsupp(at)avidyne.com or 888-723-7592)
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
OliverBucher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliverBucher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 4:43pm
Hello,
I have the same problem at my 440.
It takes very long to find a position. The Zulu Time on the 440 is not the same as on the 540 (Dual Installation).
The database update in the beginning of February was no problem. The problem starts at 16.02.17!
Attached is the link of my Logfiles ( Dropbox - Files compressed with 7z).
I have also spoken with my installer ( Flugzeugwerft Möller - Germany ). I think they will now call the technical support.
Greetings Oliver

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9x9zywrlznvyfbh/IFD_Logfiles.7z?dl=0

Oliver Bucher
Plane: DA40-180

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliverBucher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 5:00pm
Attached a picture of the diverting Zulu times on the 440/540 (Both with same settings 24Hour Display and Zulu Time)
Oliver Bucher
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 7:34am
Oliver, do you know what day the 440 thought it was when the time was off?  When my time went haywire, the date did as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliverBucher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 8:55am
Hello,
I have seen in the GPS Log: 22 August 1999
Sometimes it shows the zulu time only with 40sec difference, sometimes it shows the zulu time in 12H format, regardless what is the setting (24H Format).
Greetings Oliver
Oliver Bucher
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 4:05pm
I flew an out and back flight yesterday, and on the outbound flight, the flight log shows the flight was on Aug 1999. The return flight had the correct time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic