Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADS-B IN dual-band solution?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADS-B IN dual-band solution?
    Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 12:10pm
Any recommendations and/or experience with dual-band ADS-B IN solutions that work with the IFD-540?
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 7:51am
My stratus 2 is dual band and works just fine
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 8:55am
The OP asked for solutions that work with the IFD.  I'm pretty sure you're not displaying your Stratus 2 traffic and weather on your IFD screen, right?
bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by compasst compasst wrote:

Any recommendations and/or experience with dual-band ADS-B IN solutions that work with the IFD-540?

+1

Simpson, I drink the koolaid. Please bang this drum internally. As soon as Avidyne offers one, I'm buying.
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:30am
I think I read that 10.2 supports Capstone-compliant ADS-B in (GDL90 protocol).

Simpson, is this true?  And if so, will it be on the serial or ARINC inputs?  What setting would we use?
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:53am

Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

The OP asked for solutions that work with the IFD.  I'm pretty sure you're not displaying your Stratus 2 traffic and weather on your IFD screen, right?

Of course not, I miss understood the question then

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 12:01pm
It is worth exploring potential solutions, Tony.  

If 10.2 will actually support the GDL90 protocol then it will be good to know what input it can accept (serial or ARINC or both).  This, in turn, will possibly open up options in both experimental and certified markets for ADS-B inputs, since Capstone (GDL90) is open-sourced by the FAA and is not a proprietary format.

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

It is worth exploring potential solutions, Tony.  

If 10.2 will actually support the GDL90 protocol then it will be good to know what input it can accept (serial or ARINC or both).  This, in turn, will possibly open up options in both experimental and certified markets for ADS-B inputs, since Capstone (GDL90) is open-sourced by the FAA and is not a proprietary format.

As AviJake had pointed out previously, there are multiple flavors of "Capstone".  

I wish they had been standardized as was the intent of Captsone, but...
David Gates
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 5:02pm
The support of the GDL90 Protocol will be over serial.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 6:32pm
Thanks Simpson!  Will the serial input take both FIS-B and TIS-B in the same GDL90 stream?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:48am
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

Thanks Simpson!  Will the serial input take both FIS-B and TIS-B in the same GDL90 stream?

Yes indeed.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 2:15pm
Simpson:

So if you have DUAL IFDs, an MLB, and a TAS-605, what is the best configuration?

(Assuming 10.2)
David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 2:43pm
Per FAA you can't have dissimilar traffic on the same display. With that said, would have the TAS going to one IFD and the SkyTrax100 going to the other. Another option is to have both products going to one display but don't wire the traffic portion of the 100.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:28pm
Well then apparently the FAA didn't realize what L3 was doing with their Lynx system when they approved it. If I understand correctly, that system merges TAS (SkyWatch) and TIS-B traffic targets on the same display.
Ron L
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:42pm
Rather than assume somebody apparently failed, consider the possibility you don't have all the facts yet.  Like, consider the possiblity that the FAA prohibits two independent traffic devices simultaneously feeding a third display device that wasn't designed to handle it.  Thinking further, consider the Lynx is a single box feeding its own internal display, and has hardware and software that by purposeful design combines targets from various internal sources before feeding that display.  Which of course the FAA has no problem with because the Lynx resolves all conflicts internally before displaying targets.  Looked at that way, neither the FAA is stupid nor is Simpson wrong - a real possibility I think.  I personally don't know, but I think it's safer and more fair to all involved to assume that with more facts the explanation may not involve any incompetence, just more familiarity with the avionics.  Let's see what happens.
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 11:28pm
Sorry if my post sounded snarky. I did not intend to be offensive or disrespectful to anyone.

I was just wanted to point out that, at least in this case, the FAA has allowed "dissimilar traffic on the same display".
Ron L

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 8:52am
Let me clarify as my post could have been slightly unclear. You can not have 2 different sources (for argument sake an Avidyne TAS and a FreeFlight ADS-B receiver as an example) going to the same display. The thought behind this is that the 2 different products derive their information in different ways (one is through the active interrogation of the transponder and the other is through the ADS-B network). This could cause 2 different targets to display for one aircraft, thus causing the operator to not know which one is the correct one.

If a source, like the L3 Lynx, does the merging before it sends the data to the display, then that's approved.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

If a source, like the L3 Lynx, does the merging before it sends the data to the display, then that's approved.

Just like the when the TAS6xx becomes the TAS6xxA. Two data sources (active + TIS-B) combined, but a single output to the display device.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic