Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Airport not in Database

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airport not in Database
    Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 7:58am
Would someone be able to check for me to see if their dataset contains the Alton Bay, NH airport/seaplane base - B18?  I've been there in four different airplanes and the airport has been in the database in the Garmin G430W, 750, G300, but not in my IFD540.

Had I been better prepared, I would have entered it as a user waypoint marked as an airport which would have eliminated "Bitching Betty" who was not at all happy landing on the ice runway, and my wife was not at all happy sharing the airplane with Bitching Betty.  Terrain Pull Up, Terrain Pull Up, on downwind, base, final, and all the way into the parking area.
195pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 195pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 9:26am
I'm not at my plane right now so I can't check to see if the waypoint is there, but if you designate User Waupoints as airports, Betty won't bark at you.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 8:37pm
Gring- I hope you had a great day. I was going to head up there today for the festival but had to change plans. Did they have anything going on yesterday also?
195pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 195pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 11:37pm
Oops, reread the OP and see you already knew thst. Sorry!
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

and my wife was not at all happy sharing the airplane with Bitching Betty.  Terrain Pull Up, Terrain Pull Up, on downwind, base, final, and all the way into the parking area.

You can turn the Alerts volume down to zero to "kill da wabbit".

David

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 10:54am
You guys flew past me and didn't even offer to pick me up, unacceptable. Sounds like it was an active day up there yesterday http://www.wmur.com/article/busy-day-at-alton-bay-for-first-responders/8954236.

Seaports aren't included in the navdata set currently. So you would need to add a user waypoint(airport).
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:12am
This happened to me, the other day, too.   

Landing at a pvt field and that was SOOO annoying.  Tons of chatter on the CTAF and bitchin betty screaming at me to pull up.    How do we get private fields in the database?  My $149 foreflight had my destination, my multi-thousand dollar, panel mount did not.    (Oh, and my decades old Garmin 496 did, too).     Not a knock on the box.    

Hello... Jeppesen!!!!????

*echo*

I am usually pretty good at blocking stuff like that out, but it got to me...

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 20 Feb 2017 at 11:14am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 11:18am
What is the best way to quickly silence the 540s?

Ken
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 12:40pm
Simpson, next year I will take you.

I know with the 540 you can install a TAWS annunciator panel that would have the appropriate mute button.

Since I was flying a heading and not using the IFD540 for navigation it didn't occur to me that I would have a TAWS issue.  I simply forgot about it until it started yelling.  Then I said ah dummy, you should have put a user waypoint configured as an airport.

I just find it interesting that the Garmin dataset contains the seaplane base, but the Avidyne dataset does not.

Commanche guy, the quickest way to silence the IFD540 would be to turn the power off either by pressing the volume button for 4sec, turning off the master, turning off the avionics master, or pulling the circuit breaker. 

Edited by Gring - 20 Feb 2017 at 12:41pm
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 8:32pm
We wired the alerts to a switched input on the audio panel based on a suggestion of someone here on the Forum, and I'm glad we did.   The first cross-country after that change, we flew into KSEE.  It sits in a bowl, and the final approach course for 27 (the almost-all-the-time runway) crosses a ridge perhaps 3 or 4 miles from touchdown.  On a straight-in VFR approach, in any airplane faster than a Cub you pretty much want to graze that ridge unless you are planning to dive to the touchdown point or do a full pattern (which will make you unpopular with the tower).

The unexpected "Terrain, Pull-Up!  Terrain, Pull-Up" as we approached the ridge was not good for family relations.  At least I was able to immediately mute it.   And the next time?  I muted at the FAF.

So, thanks to whomever made that recommendation to wire the alerts to a switched input!

Old Bob Siegfried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 8:41pm
For AviSimpson!

Not sure if this Forum is the right place to ask, but has Avidyne ever considered building something like the 440, that would fit in the same space as the Garmin GNC 300 XL? It is length limited. Approximately three inches less depth than the 430 or 530. Would NOT need to be plug in capable. Just fit in the same space. I bought my GNC 300 XL because it was the only FAA approach approved GPS that would fit in a panel that was limited by depth, not height or width. Needs to fit in a panel that is no more than eight inches aft of the firewall.

(Gary Reeves has one in his airplane, though I am confident his Cessna is NOT length limited.)

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

What is the best way to quickly silence the 540s?
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

Commanche guy, the quickest way to silence the IFD540 would be to turn the power off either by pressing the volume button for 4sec, turning off the master, turning off the avionics master, or pulling the circuit breaker.

If you need total silence, then I think pulling both circuit breakers is probably the fastest way.

If you just need to silence the terrain alerts, I have those on a switched input so I can turn them off at the audio panel.  For me, that is faster than finding and identifying the appropriate circuit breakers (especially at night).  Also, I think I could go to the AUX page and turn the alerts volume down to zero in less than the four seconds time of the power-down count.

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Old Bob Siegfried Old Bob Siegfried wrote:

For AviSimpson!

Not sure if this Forum is the right place to ask, but has Avidyne ever considered building something like the 440, that would fit in the same space as the Garmin GNC 300 XL? It is length limited. Approximately three inches less depth than the 430 or 530. Would NOT need to be plug in capable. Just fit in the same space. I bought my GNC 300 XL because it was the only FAA approach approved GPS that would fit in a panel that was limited by depth, not height or width. Needs to fit in a panel that is no more than eight inches aft of the firewall.

(Gary Reeves has one in his airplane, though I am confident his Cessna is NOT length limited.)

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

It's come up here and there but we don't have any current plans to come out with something similar, however, things can change.

2017 is going to be more ADS-B focused for us.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:20pm
Good, cause I need to focus on ADSB at some point, too.  

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 3:23pm
Well I dunno...  

I have two IFD-540s.  So, that a LOT of turning off.  Turning volume to zero on both, would work, but would eliminate the CTAF at the airport I'm landing at, too.  

IDEALLY, my fancy Jeppson powered, LEGAL databases would be at LEAST as good as the cheap stuff (ya, I know... )

Second best, I'm gonna have to figure a way to shut Betty the heck up... 

Ken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 9:22am

Well I dunno...  

I have two IFD-540s.  So, that a LOT of turning off.  Turning volume to zero on both, would work, but would eliminate the CTAF at the airport I'm landing at, too.  

Second best, I'm gonna have to figure a way to shut Betty the heck up...

Do you really have the ALERTS audio wired up from each 540 to the audio panel?  I would only expect that wiring to be present on one of the units (and probably the #1).

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 9:40am
Good question.   But, with them sharing information so heavily...  I don't know.     I'll have to try it, I guess.   I'll have to go out some day and fly into a pvt airport and mess with it on final.  

I asked this about driving the autopilot and GPS steering.  I wanted a switch from #1 to #2.   My avionics shop recommended against, which leaves me with less redundancy than I had hoped, for my tens of thousands of $$$ investment.  

It WAS REALLY annoying...  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 1:47pm

I'll have to try it, I guess.   I'll have to go out some day and fly into a pvt airport and mess with it on final. 

There's an easier way to test this.  You don't need to be on final approach, you don't even need to be airborne.

Use to the AUX rocker, and go all the way to the left to find the Volumes page.  Do this on both IFDs.

Listen in your headset as you adjust the ALERT volume on the #1 unit.  Each time you click to a new volume level the unit will produce a doorbell sound so that you can judge the volume level.

Then adjust the ALERT volume on the #2 unit and listen again.

My guess is that you will hear the doorbell (and the volume of it will change) when you play with the #1 unit, and that you will hear nothing when you adjust the volume on the #2 unit.  I am guessing that your shop only wired up the alerts from the #1 unit.

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 1:24pm
Well, this happened again and I must confess.  I'm really kind of steamed about it.  

Flew to SC00 Triple tree aerodrome for the eclipse.   Wanted to overfly NC26 on the way.  Had to use foreflight $149/yr, as my IFD540s and $1000+/year have NO idea where SC00 or NC26 are.  

Also on Final to triple tree, I had bitchin betty alarming her fool head off again.  I had turned #2 540 OFF to limit the bitching to mono vs stereo.  Still made the landing clearance hard to hear.   

I KNOW that I can turn the alert volume down.  I am not sure (yet) whether my shop wired the input to a switchable input.  I'll have to investigate.  

But, WHY (in the name of all that is sacred) are private airports not in the database?  Is this a space issue, an Avidyne issue, a Jepp issue or a FAA issue? 

I am so tired of the legal stuff being harder to use and less safe than the unapproved stuff at 10x the price. 

Ken

Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 2:32pm

Well, this happened again and I must confess.  I'm really kind of steamed about it.  

Flew to SC00 Triple tree aerodrome for the eclipse.   Wanted to overfly NC26 on the way.  Had to use foreflight $149/yr, as my IFD540s and $1000+/year have NO idea where SC00 or NC26 are.  

Also on Final to triple tree, I had bitchin betty alarming her fool head off again.  I had turned #2 540 OFF to limit the bitching to mono vs stereo.  Still made the landing clearance hard to hear.   

I KNOW that I can turn the alert volume down.  I am not sure (yet) whether my shop wired the input to a switchable input.  I'll have to investigate.  

But, WHY (in the name of all that is sacred) are private airports not in the database?  Is this a space issue, an Avidyne issue, a Jepp issue or a FAA issue? 

I am so tired of the legal stuff being harder to use and less safe than the unapproved stuff at 10x the price. 

Ken

Interesting.

I don't have an IFD or ADSB yet and have been using an IPad linked to a GLO along with my old KLN 90B.

I'm personally moving back to paper flight plans for critical airport and nav info and away from relying on the IPAD too much because it has now shut down on me twice over the past few weeks due to being overheated - August in Texas I guess.  At least the KLN keeps working.  

Now I'm preparing to upgrade to a modern navigator and an ADSB solution.  Not having a complete database would be just as irritating as an IPAD shutdown, more so considering the cost, but at least the navigator will have a cooling fan LOL!     

C310C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 8:47pm
To be fair, all the public use airports are there.   But... 

Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 10:04pm

To be fair, all the public use airports are there.   But...

I'm based on a Pvt strip myself.  I would be PO'd if it isn't in the database - it does not show up in the IFD sim but does show up on GPilot, as do the two pvt strips you mentioned.

Edited by Stiletto1 - 23 Aug 2017 at 10:05pm
C310C
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:07pm
If not it's no big deal to put a Private Airport in as a User Waypoint. 

I'm at a private airport and before I discovered naming the airport and the elevation the Terrain Warning would come up. Now it doesn't.

Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 6:14am
Lance,

I guess that's fine if you have the data readily available, but I would have thought if the Airport is on the sectional chart it would be in the database as well - why does that not seem to be the case? 
C310C
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 8:41am
You would have to ask them.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 12:42pm
Be sure you don't have the airport type filtered out.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 12:30am
I flew into Monument Valley Airport (UT25) today. Was surprised when loading the flight plan to find the IFD did not have UT25 (a private field) in the database. I used my iPad and ForeFlight to navigate to the airport. I checked the IFD's AUX setup pages to confirm none of my settings were concealing the airport. On arrival I used the IFD100 app to see if other charted private airports were not in the database, and all I checked were not.

I would appreciate an explanation for why these airports, and UT25 in particular, are not included in the Avidyne-Jeppesen navdatabase. I presume that is so by design. Perhaps an addition to the Pilot Guide identifying which charted airports are not in the database is in order, to avoid surprise.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 1:01pm
In my old 496 and they were in my buddy's old old old Garmin 300 panel mount, too.    

Now, I'm just curious, as to why they aren't in the Avidyne database? 

I know that I CAN enter a user waypoint, and then mark it as an airport.  Yay.  What fun.  NOT. 

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 25 Aug 2017 at 1:02pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 4:33pm
The Garmin products likely used the Garmin navigation database.

We use Jeppesen for our data. They can add a private airport, all you have to do is ask them.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 7:20pm
Simpson,

If you do all the right things to add a user waypoint as an airport that is not in the database, does it show up on the map page when it's in range?  Or does it have to be a waypoint in the active flight plan (like other user waypoints)?? 

Please say it doesn't have to be in the current active flight plan to show... (:>)
Jim Patton
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

The Garmin products likely used the Garmin navigation database.

We use Jeppesen for our data. They can add a private airport, all you have to do is ask them.
Simpson -- Private Airports are not all inconsequential.  Could Avidyne ask Jeppesen, on behalf of us all, to add all private US airports to the Avidyne database?  Doubtful the lead time required for a one-off special request could be fulfilled by Jeppesen in time to be useful for those of us using our airplanes for non-commercial purposes on trips to private airports that welcome the public.

I'll admit I'm unlikely to use them all, but the cohort of Avidyne users located all over the US is likely to have an operational need for having most if not all publicly accessible private airports in the database.

I suppose the problem is that some private airports are for the use of only one person, whereas others (like Monument Valley) are commercial airports served by airlines, despite being private.  I have no operational use for truly exclusive airports, but private airports that welcome the public should be in the Avidyne database, I believe.  And it would be simpler if Avidyne made that request of Jeppesen for us all. Many thanks if you can make it happen.

Edited by Catani - 25 Aug 2017 at 7:38pm
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2017 at 9:18pm
I don't think there is any way to differentiate between which private airports are open to the public or not.  By definition, private airports require prior permission to land, except in an emergency. 

We have a published Unicom, welcome visitors, are shown on the sectional chart, and have an FAA identifier, but there is no "open to the public" notice that can be made - except perhaps in the Chart Supplement (AFD), which no one seems to use anymore.  If they did, they would know we have a RH traffic pattern to Rwy 16 - FOR A REASON!  But I digress...

As far as being inconsequential, however, private airports are certainly of navigational landmark and emergency landing site value.

Perhaps one way to decide whether or not to include a private airport in the database would be if they have an identifier. 

Around here there are many Pvt strips shown on the SC that are abandoned, grown over, or otherwise no longer exists.  FAA tells me the only way they know to remove them from the charts is if somebody notifies them about it - then they have to try and contact the last known proponent of the airport to verify that it has been abandoned (often deceased or no current contact info).

Anyway, I'm surprised to learn that Jepp data does not at least include all airports with an FAA assigned identifier.  That's just BS

Edited by Stiletto1 - 25 Aug 2017 at 9:29pm
C310C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic