Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Release 10.2 Is Now Approved

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 12:21am
Shop around. My shop prefers to spend their time using their technical skills to install avionics, and is providing the update to my A&P. Who will let me do the work, inspect, ask the hard questions, and if I give good answers, sign the logbook. And if I brick it, it's my fault. Life is good; don't reinforce bad behavior.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 2:38pm
Has anyone received a IFD550 ?
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by George George wrote:

Has anyone received a IFD550 ?

I got a call last Thursday saying I should see mine at the end of April, beginning of May.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:16am
We were told when we made our payment that we would
get them when the certification was approved for 10.2.
That is twice that the pre-buys get the shaft. Last time
for me. The IFD 550 were shown two weeks ago in New Orleans.
Bad way to treat your faithful.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:33am

We were told when we made our payment that we would
get them when the certification was approved for 10.2.
That is twice that the pre-buys get the shaft. Last time
for me. The IFD 550 were shown two weeks ago in New Orleans.
Bad way to treat your faithful.

The IFD550 was also shown in 2016 at Sun N Fun and Oshkosh. These were fully functional prototypes. It doesn't mean that they ramped up production and had 100's of them sitting on the shelf for the past year. I imagine waiting to produce them was smart on the part of Avidyne, had the FAA insisted on a change. Giving them a month or two after the approval to produce the backlog of units is not unreasonable. Look over your agreement, there is nothing that says what you state.

Edited by LANCE - 21 Mar 2017 at 8:38am
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:22am
To echo what LANCE wrote, we did not prebuild any IFD550s in the event that the FAA had heartburn over something that we would need to change.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:51am
I would have thought that the receipt of the pre-buy was to start production of the units,
That was not explained. 10.2 is an upgrade(SW), if the units were available it 
should only have required two hours to load. Is the month before delivery in pre-buy
months or new purchases go first. I guess that is to be seen.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 10:13am
Well Simpson, you can't say that your customers aren't passionate about your products!  George obviously cares a great deal.
Alouicious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alouicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:40pm
Thanks, AzAv8r, for the encouragement to shop around and for the further information on the install logistics.

Just watched Tom Harper's demo of the 10.2 at AEA for Paul Bertorelli on AvWeb Flash.  He repeatedly said that the upgrade was free for existing owners and included in new purchases.  
I wish someone at Avidyne would be a little more considerate of existing owners and not tell avionics shops that the install would be three hours per unit.  

Nearly $600 is a little much for me.  Downloading the upgrade with the instructions seems pretty straightforward for this crowd.  Even having it in OneDrive or DropBox with a shared link would work.

Glad to be part of the future!

Be happy! Your choice.
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 7:41pm
You need a geek to install the update not an avionics tech. I heard one today say that he doesn't understand the "computer stuff".
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:46pm
Yes, I am passionate about this equipment.I think it is great,
but I don't like the treatment of the faithful. I have had a promising
response from Avidyne in reference to my delivery, but I don't 
like to be the squeaking wheel to get a response.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 12:39am
I think it's fair to actually let them manufacture it before they deliver it.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 8:57am
I appreciate your thoughts but they are not relative
or informed.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 9:57am

I appreciate your thoughts but they are not relative
or informed.

Really . .  my thoughts are neither relative nor informed?  I waited for a pre-delivery IFD540, an IFD440. I have since bought another IFD540 and I am waiting for an upgrade to an IFD550. Do you have more experience than that?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 11:55am
v10.2 is very cool in flight, as advertised.

Yesterday flew 2.5 hrs in continuous light to moderate chop and realized why I love the 540's so much - hybrid knobology in the bumps...

As cool as the new "Designated Wpt" DataBlock is however, I couldn't figure out an alternative to the virtual keyboard input - I am hoping there is a way to input this data using knobs? 

Tom W.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 3:10pm
No I don't nor do I intend to acquire such patience.
You are definitely an asset to Avidyne. 
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 4:17pm

No I don't nor do I intend to acquire such patience.
You are definitely an asset to Avidyne. 

Thank you.
But I still am informed and what I said still is relative.
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 4:40pm
OK you get the last word.
Enough of this silliness.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 5:18pm
In my experience, there is no such thing as "the last word" on an internet forum.  Or, as my brothers used to say to me, "I know you are, but what am I?"
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 12:02am
The 10.2 AFMS pdf file has memo-sized text blocks on letter-sized pages. (Why?) The open source Briss java app will readily crop the excess white space, and then you can color- print using the Adobe Reader "Booklet" selection. I took the cropped file to the FedEx store for a quality color laser print. Be sure to have them print "Booklet" and "Double-Sided". Then use their cutter and hole-punch to make those publication-quality pages fit in your AFMS binder. My shop now wants me to produce all their docs. :)

(All my Flight, Operations, and Maint files also go in a corresponding cloud folder, which results in them automagically appearing on my cell phone, tablets, and laptop so I'll have them when I need them on the road. AFMS go in "Flight". I use to manually keep everything on a thumb drive which had a pocket in the airplane, but this cloud approach is easier and much more reliable. My cloud is a personal NextCloud server, but I'm pretty sure most if not all commercial cloud providers can provide the equivalent.)

I'd post my already-cropped version but then I'd be a pirate. I might be a scoundrel, but I'm not a pirate. ( Notwithstanding the assertions of a few T-shirts I might wear upon occasion, mind you...)
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 12:37am
"I'd post my already-cropped version but then I'd be a pirate."

Send it to Simpson and let him post it... (:>)
Jim Patton
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 7:43pm
So, started flying with v10.2 - very cool.

But, ADSB Wx still doesn't appear to have the promised Weather Products, like No TFR's.

Also, is there a way to input the "Designated DataBlock" with knobs? - virtual keyboard is great, except in the bumps.

Tom W.

flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

But, ADSB Wx still doesn't appear to have the promised Weather Products, like No TFR's.

Tom W.

Seriously, No TFRs?  That is a big omission and is a basic and expected feature - It's one of the things I've been looking forward to in the upgrade.  I gave up XM Weather for the ADSB MLB100 but inflight TFRs is pretty darn important these days.

Can someone confirm they are not there?
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 8:56pm
According to the tech support website, 10.2 adds TFR from Skytrax100

https://techsupport.avidyne.com/portal/helpcenter/articles/ifd-software-10-2-0-features

32.Additional ADS-B weather products – adds Winds Aloft, Temps Aloft, and TFRs from the SkyTrax100 datastream for display on the IFD

ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 10:28pm
Sorry for the dumb question but are you sure you had it enabled? And if so, are TFR's regionally limited like the weather or are they nation-wide?
Ron L
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:58pm
Maybe the SkyTrax 100 (or MLB100) needs the software update (4.1.0) if this hasn't already been done.

This service bulletin applies to the Avidyne MLB100 UAT receiver and resolves the following: 
• Added ADS-B Out + protocol as GPS source for MLB100. IFD 440/540 Software Release 10.2 supports the ADS-B Out+ protocol. 

• Relative target altitude for ARINC 735 Traffic Protocol is now computed using target’s primary altitude relative to ownship’s altitude of same type (pressure or geometric). 

• Resolved occasional data fail reported on IFD 440/540 when duplicate index was added to ARINC 735 Traffic Protocol intruder file. 

Note: ADS-B traffic works best in conjunction with ADS-B out equipped aircraft. If ADS-B out has not been enabled, display of ownship is possible and could be frequent in high traffic areas.

Edited by LANCE - 24 Mar 2017 at 12:06am
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:16am
Would someone confirm that after the update to 10.2 current charts and Nav data does carry forward along with the terrain already in the unit.  I seem to remember in the past when I did an update that I went into the shop with current charts but after the update I had to reinstall current charts from my thumb drive???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:32am

Also, is there a way to input the "Designated DataBlock" with knobs? - virtual keyboard is great, except in the bumps.

Tom W.

Just spoke to tech support and they had sent an email with some troubleshooting steps to you yesterday. TFRs are in 10.2.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:36am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Would someone confirm that after the update to 10.2 current charts and Nav data does carry forward along with the terrain already in the unit.  I seem to remember in the past when I did an update that I went into the shop with current charts but after the update I had to reinstall current charts from my thumb drive???
Charts and Nav do not make it through the update. They will need to be loaded after the update.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:55am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Charts and Nav do not make it through the update. They will need to be loaded after the update.

My plane was down for a while at the time that I updated to 10.2, and I did an update during that period, but not sure now if before or after the 10.2 upgrade. 

It is possible that 10.2 went in first, and then I did the update. But even so, I didn't notice anything unusual at the time of the update, like the navdata/charts being "gone". Are you sure on that?

* Orest
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 1:22pm
Almost 3 weeks since the release of 10.2.  Still no IFD-100.

AviSimpson, please provide a status update on the IFD-100 app.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 4:53pm
Simpson,

FYI, just spoke to Tech Support about two separate issues:

1.  No TFR's at all in v10.2.
2.  Both 540's configured to receive ADSB Tx + Wx, and these are nicely displayed just fine, except No TFR's and the Traffic "Thumbnails" report "ADSB Degraded".
        (My TCAD active traffic is nicely displayed on Dual Aspens).

Tech support by phone is aware and requests me to send photos of the Weather Page showing no TFR's, and the ADSB Thumbnails showing Degraded error.  WILCO.

Tom W. 
M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 5:29pm
I just had 10.2 installed, I had current Nav data before the install, post install on boot it says my nav data expired Feb 2 2017. So it looks like you still have nav data, just not the current cycle which strikes me as odd.
rondawes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rondawes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 5:41pm
I was all excited about 10.2 and about to pull the trigger on buying a IFD540 to replace my Garmin 650 but then discovered that the GDL88 support did not make it into 10.2 (as per regional Avidyne sales rep).  Since I have an existing GDL88/ES330 as my currently functioning ADS-B in/out solution, I'm bummed.  
BRS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:47pm
IFD Trainer Questions:

1. Any way to get the IFD Trainer to receive external gps data from X-PLANE.  It would be neat to hook up to my home-sim and fly it like (almost) real.

2.  How do we change the default location in the sim.  It opens up in FL but living in the PNW I couldn't be further.
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 12:03am
Item 2.  You can restart the Ipad by powering down.  When you restart, the sim will give you a blank screen.  Push the right knob, and enter the desired origin and the rest of the flight plan you want to enter.  You may also want to turn the flying button to off so the plane does not try to escape on you while you enter the flight plan.

Alternatively, you can shut off the sim program without powering down by pressing the "home" button on the Ipad twice quickly.  This brings up displays of recently run programs.  You can turn off the Sim program by sliding it upward and off the screen til it disappears.  This shuts it down, and when you restart the program, you will begin from the blank screen from which you can enter an origin by pressing the right knob.

George

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:12am
Originally posted by M20J M20J wrote:

I just had 10.2 installed, I had current Nav data before the install, post install on boot it says my nav data expired Feb 2 2017. So it looks like you still have nav data, just not the current cycle which strikes me as odd.

Not odd.  Same as before.

The 10.0 and 10.1 software each included navigation data from the time period when it was certified.  By chance, my airplane hadn't flown since December, but after I did the 10.2 upgrade the unit magically had the January (expired Feb 2, 2017) data loaded.

I think a baseline navigation database is necessary for the unit to function, so it gets whatever data was current (or recently expired) when the software was approved.

David

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 9:17am
Interesting. I upgraded each software drop within a few days of release, so never noticed that effect.

* Orest
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:00am
Will terrain data need to be reinstalled also?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 5:19pm

Simpson,

FYI, just spoke to Tech Support about two separate issues:

1.  No TFR's at all in v10.2.

Tom W. 

Tom,

You must have some kind of configuration problem.  I was out flying today and I had the TFR in Dallas (Ex-Pres Bush's house) showing on the screen.  I could select it and get the data block and everything.

The TFRs most definitely ARE in 10.2.

By the way, I figured out that ADS-B traffic data is degraded when you are flying in the edge of network coverage (not surprising).  Climb a little higher or get closer to the tower and it goes to normal (full) operation.

David Bunin

PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 8:45am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Will terrain data need to be reinstalled also?

I believe that the terrain data either survived the upgrade or was reloaded with the upgrade.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 8:54am
After the 10.2 update, the Terrain data showed a date in 2012, the current one from Jepp is 2015. The 10.1 did not show the date of the terrain database, I believe it kept the original as it is almost a 2 GB file, the whole 10.2 update files were less than 800 MB.

Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:29pm
I updated the Terrain database to the most current one from Jepp dated August 5, 2015. It is a big file almost 2 gigabytes. It took slightly over an hour.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:29pm
Question for Simpson and Jake, 

Avidyne provides an option for pilot owners to remove the Garmin GNS and Install the Avidyne IFD, perform all the functional checks, and make an entry in the aircraft logs (a sticker and sample are provided by Avidyne in the Self-Exchange Guide 600-00316-000).

BUT

It does not allow pilots to do a simple software upgrade

If the FAA allows pilot to do the self exchange and make a logbook entry, I am sure that the software update must be also allowed.

Just wondering, Please help me understand!

M20J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 12:26pm
I just installed the IFD100, got the Jepp data without any trouble. Now I need to get out flying with it, very exciting!
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:19pm
WOO-HOO!!  IFD-100 is here!!

I'm still waiting for my shop to get me in to do the 10.2 update.  

luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:04pm
Unfortunately, I belong to the one in three update failures (mentioned somewhere in the forum) which are not due to wrong procedures. Apparently, there are random reasons why the update won't finish positively. The box can only be fixed by Avidyne, the software needs to be flashed again. I hope I get an advance exchange as I would hate to wait for the back and fourth shipping from Switzerland. Tech support, Christie, was very responsive and I hope she can sort it out quickly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:33pm
1 in 3 box failures? I don't know where that data is coming from but it's very false.

There have been reports of some (nowhere near a 1 in 3 ratio) box failures but that was due to the installer not following the Service Bulletin before starting the update.

The box does not fail the update randomly.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:35pm
Sorry to hear you are one of those affected.  Did a shop do the update for you?
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:59pm
yes, the shop did it on both units. One went well the other one no. I don't know where this 1 in 3 came from, it was posted on the forum days ago. Tech support told me the installer was not at fault. The error seemed to be known and I was told this happened randomly. From the responses on the forum I also cannot believe the reported ratio as I haven't read about failed updates. Unfortunately, it seems that some happen even when following the SB strictly. Tech support has been very helpful and responsive, so while I am disappointed that murphy chose me I am confident it will be sorted out by Avidyne in their usual responsive way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic