Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Release 10.2 Is Now Approved

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 6:02pm
That 1 in 3 number mentioned elsewhere is I think the result of one shop that has done 3 units.  Certainly not scientific, nor statistically significant.  Does indicate, though, that undesired outcomes are possible even when the update is done by a good shop, following the instructions.

David Gates
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by luchetto luchetto wrote:

Unfortunately, I belong to the one in three update failures (mentioned somewhere in the forum) which are not due to wrong procedures. Apparently, there are random reasons why the update won't finish positively. The box can only be fixed by Avidyne, the software needs to be flashed again. I hope I get an advance exchange as I would hate to wait for the back and fourth shipping from Switzerland. Tech support, Christie, was very responsive and I hope she can sort it out quickly.

Do you know if the costs are being covered by your warranty or by the shop?  It would also be nice to know Avidyne's stance on warranty work of IA performed or supervised upgrades.
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:24am
I can report success on the install, despite perhaps four items not going to plan or the SB.   (I monitored the install while the shop did real work running wires and crimping connectors on another plane.  And thus I did not get charged for the time.   Well, I also gave the shop the cropped AFMS...)  

Give these to your shop.  And your shop should take copious notes, to make the next time easier and safer...

1.  On start-up for the install with the new software in the thumb drive, the IFD came up with the screen saying "No USB device found", or something along those lines.  We were about to pull the thumb drive or shut down to determine if we had a bad drive, when the load started.  Dodged a bullet! 

The misleading message was displayed for perhaps 30 seconds.  I *suspect* this occurred because the very last thing we had done before cycling power to start the install was go to the configuration screen and double-check the configurations (which we'd already recorded, but "measure twice, cut once").  A couple of the configuration screens display that message until they find the drive.  I think (like so many pieces of software), the time lapse between making a decision (there's a boot disk here!) and providing feedback to the operator (I'm starting to load!) is perhaps inappropriate, and in this case it continues to display the last message displayed pre-reboot.

Recommendation:  Before installing, reboot into normal mode, not setup. And if you see this message, give it at least a minute.

2.  About 10 minutes into the install, an error message appeared:  'System update halted.  Error detected "Copy system config to /tmp"'.  No idea why this happened.  The only option was "Done".  It was late in the afternoon on a Saturday west coast time - we didn't expect to reach tech support, and I wasn't willing to leave my gyro running over the weekend, so we tried again.  (Per another post, perhaps we would have been successful calling tech support at that time.)   I do not recall whether we clicked the "Done" button (I think so, but not sure.  Maybe the reboot timer started; I shut off power, removed and reinserted the thumb drive, and reapplied power), but it restarted the install when we rebooted. 

Not sure what to recommend here, beyond: "Do the install during Avidyne Tech Support Business Hours, whatever they may be."   It worked out okay for us, but it could have gone south.

3.   It took 2:20 total to complete.  The above issues account for 10 or 12 minutes beyond the SB max time; perhaps we missed a dialog box for 8 or 10 minutes, but I don't think so.  I speculate that the existing installed version matters - we had 10.1.1.0.   Recommendation:  Be prepared to give it a little extra time; remember, "Patience is a virtue. Within iimits."

4.  After the install completes, you are to check the checksums (a "checksum" is a software signature of sorts.)  The SB provides for, but does not require, rebooting the box for this check.  We chose not to reboot, and two of the items to be verified (LIO Apps, LIO Processor) were missing - dashes for the part number and the checksum.  Before panicking, we rebooted and retried; this time, the missing items showed up in the list.  Recommendation:  Reboot before checking, even though the SB does not require it.

But it all worked, and I'm a happy customer.

Best,
Jon

Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 1:38am
Your "mission  report" was excellent.  except..
When did you finally remove the FOB from the unit?
Was it removed only once after the install started, prior to the check sum, after the reboot?
I would hate to remove the FOB at the wrong time, and would really feel stupid, leaving it in for three, or twelve cycles / reboots.
Regards,
Randy
Regards,
Randy
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:05am
The FOB was removed at the time of the reboot in step 4 to check the checksums.   Basically, the IFD displayed "Done" (in some form, don't remember the wording), and it was clear that it was time to look at the checksums per the SB.   I don't recall whether the FOB came out at that moment, or when we actually rebooted. 
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 3:27pm
Happy to report successful update to 10.2 in 85 minutes! yeah. No issues at all. Thanks to Christine in tech support for the help.

Opened the hangar to go flying at is was snowing!! Life in mountains, I guess. Will have to wait another day to check 10.2 out.
kansasdoc
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by ksdoc ksdoc wrote:

Happy to report successful update to 10.2 in 85 minutes! yeah. No issues at all. Thanks to Christine in tech support for the help.

Opened the hangar to go flying at is was snowing!! Life in mountains, I guess. Will have to wait another day to check 10.2 out.
Same results here, kudos to Chris.  In Miami flying is good, and so is 10.2!
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 8:32pm
We did the upgrade both of my 540s this week.  Took 90-100 minutes each.  

I debated when to finally remove the usb stick also.  

I did see the same thing with two Components (LIO Apps Processor and LIO Apps Boot) having "--" versus a chksum.  But, after a reboot, all was well. 

One thing scared me a bit in the beginning:  Step 4 (a) says to only check Load 10.2.0.0.  And make sure everything else is unchecked.  My update started right off, with no chance to uncheck anything and some of the lower choices had X next to them.  I was worried that X meant, "SELECTED".   I decided to relax and it was fine. 

No luck hooking up the IFD100, as I need to update my Jepp data Grrr...    The cute little keyboard worked great.  

The SVS is very cool, especially when shooting an approach. 

I did see one oddity when shooting approaches, the FLTA was all lit up yellow.  "Uh...  I know I am descending, uh... there's an airport RIGHT THERE."  It didn't alert or anything.  I don't recall it looking like this in 10.1.1.0?   Is this normal? 

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 8:50pm
Don't know about normal, but what great SA!  Love the photo!

Thanks Avidyne; this is going to be great!
David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 10:06pm
Yes, I loved, when i shot the GPS approach into my home airport, the SVS showed the magenta line, and the white line dotted showing the first leg of the missed, then the white line back out to the hold.  VERY cool.

luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 2:02am
It looks the yellow FLTA scared you as you are slightly high😜
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:12am
Got my 550 installed and 440 updated yesterday. Everything appears to be working as advertised. Fantastic!
Ron L

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 1:56pm
I KNEW someone would give me grief about that.  Friggin pilots! :)  

Ken 
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:05pm
I upgraded my 540 few days ago. I tried to load new cycle 1704 data and it failed on first attempt. Second attempt it passed and have OK for install BUT on recycling the unit it came back to welcome screen with warning of expired database cycle 1701. So I am bit confused here on why it showed successful on my second and third try but still showing me error. Yes I used the avidyne USB to program.
PA28-236 @N14
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:12pm
Hmmmm.... same issue for me on IFD440
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 10:38am
If you downloaded the database on a Mac, it won't work. Same thing happened to me. However, Jepp sent me a link to a Beta version of their Download Manager for Mac that worked.

Here is the link that they sent me:

Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 10:57am
Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Would have been nice if Jepp support guy had known. He did reset so I could try fresh download, but results were the same.
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 2:43pm
I used the Jepp mac beta site, the download went uneventfully. It works, try it.
kansasdoc
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Sanjiv Sanjiv wrote:

I upgraded my 540 few days ago. I tried to load new cycle 1704 data and it failed on first attempt. Second attempt it passed and have OK for install BUT on recycling the unit it came back to welcome screen with warning of expired database cycle 1701. So I am bit confused here on why it showed successful on my second and third try but still showing me error. Yes I used the avidyne USB to program.
Confirm that your IFD's time is accurate.  I had an issue where I saw an unexpected "expired database" warning right after I'd installed a known-good database, and it was because the IFD had lost its clock brain and was telling me it was August 1999 instead of Jan 2017.  It took a few power cycles over a few days before the clock re-synched to GPS time, but then it didn't complain about the database dates anymore.
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 2:06am
Thanks, i'll check it when i am back home on Wednesday. but just for thought and question, My error also shows a wrong version of maps installed. I installed 1704 and error screen says expired 1701. So it could be just more than clock issue in my case.

On this subject, can you use the same USB (already programmed with 1704 nav update)  to load the data again or it had to be reset by Garmin/JDM to download cycle again and re-program the USB? Wondering if IFD write back on USB stick that the update has been successfully installed and consumed to avoid reuse? 

PA28-236 @N14
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 2:13am

Thanks, i'll check it when i am back home on Wednesday. but just for thought and question, My error also shows a wrong version of maps installed. I installed 1704 and error screen says expired 1701. So it could be just more than clock issue in my case.

On this subject, can you use the same USB (already programmed with 1704 nav update)  to load the data again or it had to be reset by Garmin/JDM to download cycle again and re-program the USB? Wondering if IFD write back on USB stick that the update has been successfully installed and consumed to avoid reuse? 

just found the pic i clicked the other day. Not a clock issue :(

Edited by Sanjiv - 03 Apr 2017 at 2:14am
PA28-236 @N14
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 9:15am
Sanjiv- You do realize there is price to pay trying to do this on April 1? :)

I am happy to report the beta JDM did solve my problem and the navdata is now current.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 10:50am

On this subject, can you use the same USB (already programmed with 1704 nav update)  to load the data again or it had to be reset by Garmin/JDM to download cycle again and re-program the USB?...

It didn't use to do that, to allow for multiple units. But not sure with the new 10.2 formats, how it handles that.

You may need to run the sequence over. Do a CHKDSK or reformat the USB, call Jepp to reset your dat  download (they are happy to do that), and run it again.

* Orest

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 3:13pm
My comments are based on the assumption that we're talking about navdata. I can't comment on other data types, but suspect the same applies.

You can't reuse a USB to update a 2nd IFD. When you update an IFD from USB, the USB is modified and if you try to use it to update a 2nd IFD you'll get an error message. If you compare the timestamp on the USB files you'll see that the timestamp has changed once you've done the first update.

However, once you program the USB with the update cycle using JDM you can backup the contents (2 files) from the USB to your pc hard disk. You can then either copy the backup to a 2nd USB and use it for updating the 2nd IFD, or you can reformat the USB that you already used for the 1st IFD and copy the backup navdata onto it again for use with the 2nd IFD.
Vince
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 3:48pm
Jepp is pretty good about resetting the download if you have an issue. Just call them and they will make it appear again on JDM
idmpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idmpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 8:00pm
Just upgraded my ifd 540 to a 550/works great for approaches with synthetic vision on ifd 100! Having difficulty setting up ifd  as a client to stratux in remote wifi config as per pages 122-124 in install manual. This would  allow switching from foreflight with stratux to ifd 100 for approaches without changing wifi settings.Avijake talked about this last summer . Need help. Thanks.
j george
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by idmpilot idmpilot wrote:

Just upgraded my ifd 540 to a 550/works great for approaches with synthetic vision on ifd 100! Having difficulty setting up ifd  as a client to stratux in remote wifi config as per pages 122-124 in install manual. This would  allow switching from foreflight with stratux to ifd 100 for approaches without changing wifi settings.Avijake talked about this last summer . Need help. Thanks.

Waiting for my IFD 550 upgrade. Did a dealer install it or did Avidyne let do the swap yourself?

Edited by LANCE - 03 Apr 2017 at 9:58pm
rfriend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 8:24pm
You are not alone in this unsuccessful effort. Yes help would be nice even if it were a clear (not possible) from the people writing the code. 
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 9:49pm
I thought it might be possible to use multitasking on the iPad Pro to run IFD100 in one window and ForeFlight in another. Nope. I tried it today and neither program appears to support multitasking.   :-(

I sure hope FF decides to support bidirectional data transfer on IFD's.
Ron L
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:27am
Regarding USB reuse, I think you are correct regarding time stamp on file and it seems the header of file is changed also marked installed. But that's IFD modifying this file when the update has failed!!! And then I have to go to JDM to request update again. If it was successful instal then it would be ok. Why modify the file at all?

Do you always format the USB before copy new Nav data update? I wonder if it has to do something with overwriting files? And if the USB file was updated and not usable for second update, why wouldn't the update fail when I try to initialize it instead of running for 10 min with OK result and surprise me after reboot ?
PA28-236 @N14
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:41am
I have 2 540s.

At least prior to 10.2 I was able to use the same USB stick to update both units.

Has that changed?
David Gates
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 11:53am
I have a 540 and 440, and could never use the same USB to update the 440 after I used it to update the 540.... always got an error message trying to update, not at reboot. And the file timestamp on the USB was changed even after a successful update of the 540 (i.e. without having tried to also update the 440). Currently still on 10.1.3.

Edited by chflyer - 04 Apr 2017 at 11:58am
Vince
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 8:11am
I experienced two instances of 'chart initiation failed' on the IFD 540 right after update to 10.2. Rebooted both times, and have not since had the message. The IFD would not show charts until that msg did not show. I did not have IFD100 connection as it had not yet been released.

I did see that the terrain was an older version as were the navdata and obstacles. I had a new version of electronic charts to load, so didn't pay attention to that database date. I acquired new files by calling Jepp and installed the navdata and obstacles, but before I installed the terrain 2015 file, I noticed that the date on that had changed from 2012 (I think) to 2015. I'm wondering if the correct data was there for all three all along, but the previous dates were shown as a result of the update to 10.2 and, after several boot cycles and flying a bit, the correct dates became available during boot. The dates have been correct for all activities since, and the unit works fine with IFD100. 

Waiting for Freeflight to confirm compatibility on their Rangr ADS-B IN solution as I think it a better choice than the Avidyne. Probably after SnF.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 7:09pm
Same problem: just had 10.2 installed. I get winds aloft data and traffic, but no TFRs.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

I have 2 540s.

At least prior to 10.2 I was able to use the same USB stick to update both units.

Has that changed?

Still works - Just performed USB - Jepp Updates to IFD #1 & #2 using same USB Thumb Drive.

Tom W.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

Same problem: just had 10.2 installed. I get winds aloft data and traffic, but no TFRs.

Paul,  Since there is No TFR "block" in Weather Overlay page, it is tough to know if TFR's are received or not.  The response I got from Tech Support on this is that TFR's will just display as part of the ADSB stream - no need for TFR DataBlock.

This time of year, before wild fire season, not many TFR's out our way in Arizona, but as soon as I see a TFR in range using other ADSB source like FlyQ, etc, I will try to confirm display on IFD540 as well...

Tom W.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 8:11pm
Thanks, Tom. There was a fire fighting TFR along my route yesterday, right near the TAY VOR. I saw it in ForeFlight, but it did not appear on the IFD. I took screenshots of both, and sent the relevant data onto support. Hopefully they can help me figure out what is going on.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 10:00pm
What software level is your MLB100 (Skytrax100)?
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 10:23pm
The shop charged me for, and told me, that they upgraded the SkyTrax to 4.1. I don't have the log entry here with me so I can't easily verify it, but I know they at least touched the unit because I had to show them where it was installed.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 7:54am
There is a "temporary" flight restriction all the time in Dallas over ex-pres Bush's house.

I see that one on my display and it identifies as a TFR when I tap on it for the data tag.  Do you guys think that is coming from the Jepp database?

The only recent time I flew with an actual temporary TFR around here, we weren't in my airplane.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 11:25pm
David solved my TFR problem in another thread-- the issue was that my shop didn't set the IFD to use RS232 to talk to the SkyTrax 100 instead of using ARINC 429. Once I did that, TFRs started showing up within 50nm or so of the outer edge of the TFR.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 8:30am

Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

There is a "temporary" flight restriction all the time in Dallas over ex-pres Bush's house.

I see that one on my display and it identifies as a TFR when I tap on it for the data tag.  Do you guys think that is coming from the Jepp database?

The only recent time I flew with an actual temporary TFR around here, we weren't in my airplane.

David, I believe it is coming from Jepp because its on the sectional chart. 

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 9:28am
TFRs come from the ADS-B ground stations and are not in the Jepp data.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Ronald Mason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronald Mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 5:58pm
I am all downloaded with 10.2 and I use Foreflight on my Ipad.
I have been looking forward to getting everything from my radios onto my ipad.
VERY disappointed right now..
I get the initial request from my radios to "allow" bluetooth.
But NOTHING shows on my ipad to connect.
Further, I can find NOTHING in the latest manual with 10.2 update that discusses all the changes made and how to work with it.
I turned "off" my 440 on bluetooth in case that was the problem and NOTHING asks me to sync my 540 with my Ipad.
WHERE in the Pilot Guide is there a COMPLETE discussion of how to make these two boxes talk to each other and HOW to make them work together?
I'm not big on tech stuff, as I just like to plug things in and they just work.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 6:18pm
Bluetooth is for the BT keyboard only.

The IFD100(Ipad) connects by Wifi, your network will be named something like "LIO....".

The 10.2 pilot guide is downloadable from the Avidyne website, and explains how to establish both BT and WiFi connections.

Does this help?

Edited by ddgates - 23 Apr 2017 at 6:21pm
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Ronald Mason Ronald Mason wrote:

Avidyne uses BT only for the remote keyboard.

As noted above, you need to connect by WiFi. Avidyne provides a data portal accessible through WiFi, but it is the tablet software provider that has to actually make use of it. It would be Foreflight (or FltPlan, or whomever) that would need to give you directions on how to make that happen, beyond just the WiFi log in that is covered in the PG.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Apr 2017 at 6:46pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Originally posted by Ronald Mason Ronald Mason wrote:

As noted above, you need to connect by WiFi. Avidyne provides a data portal accessible through WiFi, but it is the tablet software provider that has to actually make use of it. It would be Foreflight (or FltPlan, or whomever) that would need to give you directions on how to make that happen, beyond just the WiFi log in that is covered in the PG.

* Orest

Use IFD100 with 540's now for a while - very nice with DataBlocks, etc.
Still some problems, like:
1.  No IFD100 synch with 540 selected Wind Altitude.
2.  No ability on IFD100 for Time Offset from UTC for Local Time.

Still some v10.2 ADSB issues - 
1.  Lots of TIS-B "Outage" areas (out west, between Arizona and Colorado) with gray stripes on 540.
2.  ADSB Degraded Error, on 540's and IFD100 ... Still...
3.  Still No TFR's displayed - using proper config with RS232 ports & "SkyTrax100 Wx + Trfc"
4.  Other iPad Apps like FlyQ & FltPln.Go do synch with 540 WiFi, but limited Wx products: No Metars, TFR's... just Winds aloft - probably this is an issue with vendors.

iPad issue is that only one app can synch to 540 WiFi at a time - must switch between Apps.

Tom W.

paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 8:49pm
Tom, on my unit I didn't see TFRs until I was around 50nm away from the TFR boundary. Last week I was flying out of KEVB. To the north, there was an active firefighting TFR near the TAY VOR; to the east there was a not-yet-active space launch TFR near Kennedy Space Center. I could see both in Foreflight. I couldn't see either on takeoff from KEVB, and I didn't see the firefighting TFR until I was about 50nm away from it. This may be selectable in the map setup page; I haven't tried. Are you flying within 50nm of any active TFRs?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:50pm
Hopefully, that's the explanation - I have not been within 50 NM of any TFR's yet, but expect the usual fire fighting this summer out here.

I have not found anything on Map Setup pages referencing TFR's, unfortunately.

Tom W.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:47pm
That doesn't make sense.

You should be able to see TFRs like any other map features, otherwise how would you plan to avoid?

If that is the way it is working with the MLB it needs to be fixed.
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic