Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stratux

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stratux
    Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:13am
So...anyone tried stratux with the 10.2 update?   Stratux spits out GDL90 aka Capstone over both wifi and serial, so wondering if anyone has plugged one into an IFD serial port yet?

Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:52am
That would not be a supported configuration.

* Orest

bradthepilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

That would not be a supported configuration.

* Orest

I never asked if it was supported, the assumption is that it would not be.   It may work, however, given the support for capstone in 10.2 and the stratux ability to squirt capstone out via serial.  Just curious if anyone had tried it yet.

If it works, the aircraft manufacturer will support it.   And I am the aircraft manufacturer in this case.

Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:36am
Didn't notice that you were experimental. I would still be very leery about connecting something like a Stratux physically/electrically to the panel.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Mar 2017 at 10:38am
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 12:27pm

Didn't notice that you were experimental. I would still be very leery about connecting something like a Stratux physically/electrically to the panel.

* Orest

I'm not concerned about it - the potential failure modes are pretty miniscule.    A big win, however, is that it would supply a dual-band "in" option until such time as such a thing is available from Avidyne.

Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by bradthepilot bradthepilot wrote:

* Orest

I'm not concerned about it - the potential failure modes are pretty miniscule.    A big win, however, is that it would supply a dual-band "in" option until such time as such a thing is available from Avidyne.

Shun the naysayer!! Shun!! Shun!!

Please try it and let us know.  I've been a Stratux user since 2015, and I want to know.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 9:53am
Wow, being shunned is a nasty experience!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Mar 2017 at 9:55am
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2017 at 10:28am
Don't worry, Orest.  Education is always better than shunning.  

RS-232 is a pretty well understood interface and runs 5-12v peak to peak.  Any serial input/output is designed to withstand a wide variety of manufacturer's inputs so, yes, care is warranted, but as long as you are using a legitimate RS-232 source going into the IFD, you won't likely fry it.  And, for experimental, I believe it is allowed.

Will it void the warranty???  Well, that's a different question.

There are a lot of options including Stratux, that put out GDL90 over WiFi.

Brad, I was thinking of cobbling up a WiFi to RS-232 converter that parses and serializes the GDL90 coming from existing Stratus, Stratux, and similar ADSB-in portables.  This would allow you to just be a client on the Wifi.  Too bad there's not USB on the pins of the IFD or you could even power it from there.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 12:21am
So a quick follow-up.   The stratux didn't quite work right out of the box due to slight differences in how Capstone is implemented (as AviSimpson has pointed out before, every capstone device is unique) but the tweaks required to get it talking correctly were pretty trivial.   The only thing not working quite right still is TIS-B traffic; I can see TIS-B traffic on a connected iPad but it doesn't show up on the IFD.   Still, that should be pretty easy to fix up next time I get some time to work on it.

First, some traffic delivered to my IFD540 via Stratux:

Next, textual weather:

Finally, METAR info displayed on the map:

I feel I need to point out again that this is in an E-AB, specifically, my RV-6A.  I wired and installed the entire panel (and built the rest of the airframe, but anyway...) and found the installation of the IFD540 to be really straightforward.   It integrates with the Dynon Skyview and other related items in the panel quite nicely, and this addition should make it even better.   The ability to do this kind of thing is one of the major things that  convinced to go Avidyne instead of those other guys.

More to come when I get some more time...
Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 3:49am
And that's over the serial port, Brad, not wifi. Correct?

Vince
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

And that's over the serial port, Brad, not wifi. Correct?

Yep, exactly right.  RS-232 @ 38,400bps.

Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 2:36pm
Hi Brad -
I'm about to finally try running GDL90 into my IFD440.  What tweaks did you have to make to the stratux protocol to get the IFD to accept the traffic and weather?

Edited by TogaDriver - 30 May 2017 at 3:55pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by TogaDriver TogaDriver wrote:

Hi Brad -
I'm about to finally try running GDL90 into my IFD440.  What tweaks did you have to make to the stratux protocol to get the IFD to accept the traffic and weather?

Sorry for the late response - I didn't see your post until now.

The current codebase *should* work.    You'll get weather and traffic, but there will be some occasional alerts about ADS-B sensor connectivity and you might get indications that traffic info is degraded.

The alert info comes from the GDL90 heartbeat not getting from stratux to the IFD in a timely manner. My custom build addressed that by eliminating the stratux-specific heartbeat and some other stuff which the IFD doesn't care about and that FF apparently doesn't either.  

The second thing I tweaked in my custom build is to be able to take GPS data in the same serial port as GDL90 is being emitted on.   The GPS position data rolls into the ownship position data needed by GDL90, but more importantly, it provides a realtime clock that stratux lacks and that tablet apps don't care about.

The last thing I tweaked is that the generic stratux image utilizes a r/w image and there is little or no interest in changing this.   With my installation, the stratux is a black box in the avionics bay and needs to be more robust, so it utilizes a read-only filesystem that doesn't have the opportunity to become corrupted when avionics power goes away.
Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:01pm
Brad - sent you a PM.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic