Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hold drawing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hold drawing
    Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 12:45pm
A couple things after installing 10.2 ---
Is there a way to see the currency of the db's? Or do you just get an advisory note when expired?

Yesterday I connected a GPU, made airplane noises while seated, and played with the IFD440.  I loaded a simple local flight plan from 7K8 to KSUX RNAV17 going to the IAF from the origin to see what it all looked like. Hmm, the hold looks long.  OK, calls for 4 mile legs so that's ok, but it still looks a bit odd (narrow).  I then added a fix before the IAF and the "width" expanded!  I wouldn't have noticed this so easily, but ability to see the pattern on the Aspen while changing the 440 helped.  This issue applied to both the hold before approach and after a missed.

Has anyone else seen/noticed this?  The 440 and Aspen match except for entry to the hold and drawing style for next leg. (This is normal?)

Last, I loaded this on the iPad sim and didn't get the same results.
Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 2:11pm
Bob,
I know the holding pattern changes size at least length wise based on ground speed, at least it does in the sim and I have experimented in the airplane, and it seems to do so there as well.  Its a little harder in the airplane because the speed range is not as noticeable as in the sim were you can go from 50 knots to 300 knots.  I'vv wondered if the holing pattern has some default distance until it actually has a g.s. to decide on the leg length.

Jack

Jack Seubert
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 3:52pm
Actually, it was the "width" that changed. The leg length stayed the same but how tight or broad a turn you made changed.

The weird thing was that it seemed to change whether I had a fix before the IAF or not.  If direct from origin to IAF, then it drew a hold pattern with really tight turns.  Upon adding a fix (and it didn't seem to matter which one), the hold patter would redraw to a more normal looking size.

I do understand just looking at the map is no way to tell which is right or wrong.  Not to mention that either would be a good hold.  It's the fact that it changed that bothered me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic