Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Now a new problem. Shop won't do 10.2 update.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now a new problem. Shop won't do 10.2 update.
    Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 8:23pm
We had a meeting this afternoon about the Avidyne software, and the company owners decided that because of our inexperience with those units, they don't want to take the liability. So I can't do the software updates.

The above is from my avionics shop, the one that installed all of my Avidyne equipment. They are skittish about bricking the units with the $1200 charge.

No choice but to find another shop.

Damn.

Edited by ddgates - 23 Mar 2017 at 8:24pm
David Gates
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 8:39pm
that is (excuse me) retarded... please post shop name so we can recognize weak shops.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 11:56pm
They need to lose their Avidyne dealership. This is a easy update - just follow it step by step..
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 12:54am
I sent them this note.

"
I dropped 6106V at XXX for a few corrections, and for a major software update.

I am shocked to hear that you are unwilling to do the update.

Let me review:

1. XXX is my avionics shop, having done ALL my work for the past 4 years.

2. XXX installed in 6106V:
- dual AVIDYNE IFD540s FMS NAV COMMS
- AVIDYNE MLB100 ADS-B RECEIVER
-AVIDYNE AXP340 ADS-B TRANSPONDER
-AVIDYNE TAS-605A ACTIVE TRAFFIC
-PSE PMA450 COMM CONTROLLER
-JPI830 EDM WITH DISPLAY, OAT, AND OIL PRESSURE ADD ONS
-ALPHA SYSTEMS EAGLE AOA INDICATOR
-COMANT BLADE ANTENNAS (2)

-NEW LAYOUT, CUT, DESIGN AND INSTALL OF NEW FLOATING PANEL

Let me remind you XXX got dealer fees on all of this as well as install charges, and other labor charges.

I have been understanding when mistakes have been made, and when a very substandard technician did very poor quality work.

I have been a loyal client, and have spoke well of XXX uin the GA community, and have referred other customers.

Previous IFD updates (10.1, 10.1.0.1, and 10.1.0.2) I have done myself with A&P signoff. It isn't hard, just follow the SIL faithfully, and all works out fine.

I understand that the risk of bricking the unit is a concern, but again shops all over the country are doing the updates without problem. I'd even be willing to follow your tech through the update SIL and participate in the bricking risk.

How do I now go to a new shop, wait through their queue, and ask "I know it's not your install, but I have nowhere else to turn, because XXX has dropped me"?

I get it if you don't want to be an Avidyne shop going forward, but I think you owe me better treatment than this.

Please reconsider and show some respect for this relationship.

David Gates MD"

Edited by ddgates - 24 Mar 2017 at 12:55am
David Gates
dieselcam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dieselcam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 5:58am
Have you called Avidyne?  If your shop is an authorized dealer I would think Avidyne would put a little pressure on them.
FYI I have the 540 440 set up in my SR22 G3T and I did the upgrade myself last Saturday.  Downloaded the bulletin, followed all the instructions with regard to downloading all the data that existed in my units. Took photos with my phone of each and every set up and maintenance screens of each unit.  Made sure my tail number was in each unit (if not the Syn and wifi will not work)  Shut off both units (VERY IMPORTANT) and then proceeded with the upload first on the 440 then the 540.  Took about 90 minutes each and they have to be done separately with the other unit OFF!!!  The only thing I had to put in after the upload was to change the GPS antenna height back to 6 ft. I then had to go in a set up all the user stuff from before like fuel tank reminders, set up the data blocks where I wanted them etc. Again this was easy and took less than 5 minutes because I just referred to my photos and set things back to how there were before the update. 
Did have an issue with the 440 where Syn and wifi did not work.  Tail number was in the unit.  Contacted Avidyne on Saturday!!!  The contact I have there gave me their cell phone number on Friday (don't abuse it I was told)  I texted the issue with the serial number of the unit and the tail number.  15 min later they emailed me a small file. I loaded it into the 440 and everything was great.
I simply cannot say enough about the great service and the help I was giving walking me through this. Hell it I was close to you, I would do yours for a beer.
As far as the equipment goes WOW is all I can say. The Syn is great for the flying I do here in mountains and foothills on the eastern slopes in Alberta Canada as well as Montana.  I have put on 10 hours since Saturday.  Doing lots of IFR training and the Syn is fantastic doing approaches.  I really like the situational awareness the Syn gives.  The "pink line" is vivid and the "pink white" lines for each future leg seems to relax me I think because the brain computes 3D so much better than 2D.
I flew a couple hours last night (more IFR training) What I have quickly come to appreciate with the Syn on the 540 is the information on the screen with regard to towers.  Lots of them in the area where I was training.  At night (and the day sometimes) they simply are not very visible with all the other lights.  The Syn "paints" a big yellow inverted V on the screen with the tower hight above.  I have the AGL data block at the top of the screen and a quick glance confirms tower clearance.

cam
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 9:19am
Just sent you an email David. Very interested in knowing what shop this is.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 12:00pm
I'm waiting to hear back from my shop about doing my upgrade.  I'm not sure of the hesitation, but they wanted to speak to Avidyne first.   Apparently they haven't done a 10.2 upgrade yet.  I hope to hear back from them today.
pitchristian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 12:30pm
This might be a silly question but I will have my plane at KMLB for a week. Is it possible to actually have avidyne do the 10.2 update ??
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 12:53pm
Peppered throughout the SIL are red-lettered warnings which say if this mistake is made or that step is omitted, the unit will be bricked and have to go back to Avi at a $1200 service charge. That is what is spooking them.

Edited by ddgates - 24 Mar 2017 at 12:53pm
David Gates
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 1:03pm
Here are the red-letter $1200 warnings. If your shop can't comply with these instructions they have no business installing avionics. I wouldn't want them to even attempt the update if they are that lost.

**Critical** In aircraft with multiple IFDs update only one IFD at a time. Make sure that the IFD not being upgraded is powered off at all times during the upgrade to the Revision: 01 Service Bulletin 601-00182-034 Date: 10 March 2017 Page 5 of 15 other IFD! Failure to do so will require that the IFD return to Avidyne for repair and will incur a repair charge of $1200.00.    Solution: Pull the breaker on the other Avidyne

Do not turn off power to the IFD while the update is in progress unless the on-screen prompts instruct you to do so. Aircraft battery supply may not be sufficient. Avidyne suggests that an external power supply (note a battery tender is not sufficient) be used or that the aircraft be running with the alternator supplying voltage for the duration of the update. If electrical power is lost during the update the IFD may have to return to Avidyne for repair incurring a charge of $1200.00. Solution: Hook it up to ground power - surely the avionics shop has a unit.

**Critical** Do not remove the USB drive during this power cycle event! It will brick the unit requiring the IFD to be repaired at a charge of $1200.00. Solution: Duh! Don't pull out the USB drive

**Critical**Select only the item identified as "Load 10.2.0.0". Selecting any other file than the “Load 10.2.0.0 file may brick the IFD requiring a return to Avidyne for repair at a fee of $1200.00! Solution: Just select the Load 10.2.0.0 file

**Critical** Do not remove the USB drive during this power cycle event! It will brick the unit requiring the IFD to be repaired at a charge of $1200.00. Solution: Duh! Don't pull out the USB drive

**Critical** Select only the item identified as "Create Gold Master Cflash". Note selecting any other item may result in bricking the IFD requiring a return to Avidyne for repair and a fee of $1200.00 for the repair. Solution: Just select the Create Gold Master Cflash file

Edited by LANCE - 24 Mar 2017 at 6:38pm
gsxrpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsxrpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 6:14pm
Any 5th grader could follow those instructions. It's not rocket science.
Paul
Mooney M20K 252
KHYI - San Marcos, TX
Old Bob Siegfried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 8:40pm
A questionfor all you young folks

My IFD has been updated with, (I think!) 10.2.0. It was done with the unit on a ground power supply. The battery on my airplane is NOT in the circuit when ground power is being used. I wonder if it might not be a good idea to just put the ground power in parrallel with the ships battery for the update. We do get a fairly large number of electrical power outages in this area. Usually only lasts a few minutes, but happens often enough to be a worry.

Would just hooking the GPU in parallel with the battery be a BAD thing to do?

Would appreciate an opinion by one of you youngsters!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 11:15pm
I am not that young, and when I was, I was not that smart, but when I am involved in a project that will require an extensive power drain on the aircraft battery, I hook the plane up to my pickup battery and I have power as long as I have gas in the pickup, without drain on the aircraft battery.

George
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:55am
Like George, I did it redneck-style by using my truck as external power.  I used almost a quarter tank of gas while doing the upgrade.

Regarding the above, I believe there was also a "brick it" warning about not trying to restore user settings from earlier software versions.  To be safe, you'll want to reprogram everything by hand, which also takes time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:08am
It seems there are alternatives for back up power! 

I do not have a pick up truck and both of my automobiles use twelve volt power.  <G>

The Bonanza is twenty-eight volt.  My ground power unit will supply 28 or 14 volts.

Guess I will just hook the ground power unit to the ship's battery next time rather than hooking it up to the ground power receptacle. Sure would hate to get a $1200 power loss during an update process!

Don't know why, but Beech has changed their mind as the years go by as to whether or not the battery is in the circuit with ground power hooked up.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Old Bob
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:24am
Bob, you must have a Cessna. The GPU power contactor powers up the bus as soon as you apply power to the connnector, which means the battery is out of the circuit. The POH says to turn on the master first so the battery is in the circuit. The standard Cessna config disables the avionics when the GPU contactor closes, but this is often replaced with a separate avionics master.

If you use a typical automotive battery charger (even if sold as a 24 V aircraft charger) without a battery, you might break something with the AC current coming off the transformer. (Ask me how I know. Oops). Get a battery in the circuit, using the aircraft battery or an external battery (I keep my last- removed battery for this purpose.)

I was tempted to use my battery tender, but there are appropriate warnings against that. The tender supplies maybe 2.5 amps, the total draw for the 2.5 hours our upgrade took was 6-7 amps. (Other things were drawing current besides the IFD, and most of the P&B breakers are not pullable.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:56am
Good Morning AzAv8r,  

Actually, I guess I do have something close to a Cessna. 

My V35B was built by Beechcraft before the two companies were combined. 

I did not use a battery maintainer. I purchased the same model power supply that is used by my Avonics shop. They have a half dozen or so of them. That shop is JA Air at Aurora, Illinois. What is good enough for them seems reasonable for me! <G>

As I said before, Beech has changed it's mind over the years  as to how their auxiliary power plug feeds into the system. 

Thank you for the comment.

While I will check with JA before I do it, my thought is to apply the power supply direct to the battery so it will be in the circuit in the event of a line power failure to the Power Supply.

If my memory serves me correctly, several of my earlier Bonanzas had their external power plugs wired that way. However,  would not be the first time I have been wrong.

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 4:06pm
Back to the original topic.  

Spoke with shop in AZ yesterday; was told the shop ownership has declined to do the 10.2 update because of the $1200 "liability".

Going to speak with their owner Monday.

It seems this shop really doesn't want to do Avidyne so not much leverage, but I will post their name here and on the Beech board.  In my opinion, they got the commission on the install of all my Avidyne products, sold me some others, and are getting their shop rate on all the panel updates which have been done to my Bonanza.  That creates some sort of relationship.

What does Avi Live think?
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 4:58pm
Very cheesy.

Off with their heads.

* Orest

Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:13pm
My avionics guy told me to plan on 3 to 4hrs for the 10.2 upgrade.

Don't most of IFD owners feel that $1200 is very excessive for doing a upgrade of the software that goes bad. Could do everything right per the instructions and something still goes wrong= $1200. Think if it is that critical that we should be able to ship unit back to Avidyne and let them do the update.
KLRDMD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLRDMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Craig767 Craig767 wrote:

My avionics guy told me to plan on 3 to 4hrs for the 10.2 upgrade.

My 440 took 107 minutes and my 540 took 101 minutes.

15 minutes after you start the update you have to push a button, then an hour later push a few more buttons. It is pretty simple if you follow the instructions exactly. No one needs to be sitting there looking at the screen for 3+ hours.
---
Ken Reed
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 8:35pm
Ken:

You know, I just line by line analyzed this update procedure.  My conclusion = It is a big nothing.

I am not sure why Avidyne chose to include the "if this, then $1200" messages all over the place; that decision is causing me a large amount of grief when the bulk of this is lack of understanding.

As I look at this, the bulk of this is in preparation.  Once those issues are addressed, I believe the actual update is _zip_.  In the unlikely circumstance where it fails, or bricks, it goes back to Avidyne.

I have spent more hours than is reasonable in trying to get this upgrade done.  Such a waste of angst.

My backup is KAVQ if all else fails.

David

Edited by ddgates - 25 Mar 2017 at 8:36pm
David Gates
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 10:32pm
You have it figured. It IS a big nothing. I would bet with a call to support you will get the update and be able to do your own. I did mine and had small issue (small because it didn't brick) and support walked me out of it and life was good.

These days, a shop that won't grab something like this and go with it should probably be doing less technically demanding work across the board.
KLRDMD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLRDMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

The avionics shop at AVQ "can't get to it for a few weeks."
---
Ken Reed
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 8:42am
I suspect that the reason for all of the $1200 messages in the service bulletin is to get people to actually read and pay attention to the very detailed and precise instructions for performing the update. This is just speculation, but it may be that with past updates they had problems with shops breezing through the instructions, resulting in excessive technical support costs and return trips to the factory. It would be interesting to hear whether anyone has actually had a problem with the upgrade and been charged the $1200.

Regards,

Bob Siegfried, II
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:11am
The directions are real easy to follow and I had no problem shutting everything down and using ship's power to mak it go.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 9:50am
It would be nice to know how many units have been updated and how many have bricked.  It sounds like if you follow the instructions, this is pretty easy.  The $1200 liability may be more for the shops than for IA assisted owner upgrades - I know I have more interest in not bricking my unit than my avionics shop does.  The fact is that most shops don't sell a whole lot of Avidyne, but do sell a whole lot of Garmin and as far as they are concerned, they are fine with sticking to Garmin.  The learning curve for them to be a knowledgeable Avidyne shop and do software upgrades with several $1200 liabilities, just isn't very appealing.

After the previous software upgrade where reloading configurations saved from the version before the upgrade caused issues, Avidyne stated they learned that lesson and would prevent that from happening during future upgrades.  Why so many $1200 brick opportunities?  Pretty much all modern electronics have ways to fall back in case there is an issue.  I can see the software getting corrupted if power is lost during the upgrade, but why isn't there a way to recover in the field?  Could you imagine if Microsoft/Apple/Google operated this way?

Edited by brou0040 - 26 Mar 2017 at 9:51am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 11:17am
I agree with all that was said above.

The $1200 "risk" is absolutely a disincentive for shops to service Avidyne equipment, which doesn't portend well for the future.

How mant brick episodes have there been? Is the $1200 written in stone or is that for out of warranty units?

Edited by ddgates - 26 Mar 2017 at 11:20am
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:24pm
Had a good discussion with shop manager/owner.

His comment:  The issue I have is the $1,200.00 per unit should the software fail. If it failed who would be responsible? To me it just sets up a conflict between the owner and the shop doing the work. Garmin doesn’t do that, Collins doesn’t do that, no other Avionics OEM does.

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.  If the update fails, that is one thing, shouldn't be on the shop, but also shouldn't require RMA and warranty-type service.  If the unit bricks for reasons other than lack of diligence on the tech's part (not following the instructions), that will require RMA but shouldn't be on the shop's dime (that shouldn't happen, and I guess would be between me and Avidyne).  So all that leaves is poor performance on the shop's part, and in that regard I can see why Avidyne would be stringent about cost.

So it gets done tomorrow.  Hopefully, no issues.

I must say that Avidyne is doing what it can to support.

David Gates
centerforcekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centerforcekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:00pm
Hello, I had the update done on our Seneca N54UT, but the unit would not update.
Ended up sending the unit back to Avidyne - on a Quarantine RMA.  I have been told
thank so far they are getting about 1 failure for every 3 units they update.  However,
to be fair, we were all early adopters up here so there may be some hardware issues....
I was told that Christina IS AWESOME to work with and very helpful.  I hope to get the 
unit back soon. 
Pat.
Seneca II
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:09pm
1 in 3?

Yikes.

A failure rate that high would argue against the failure mode being noncompliance with the SB.

Edited by ddgates - 27 Mar 2017 at 7:20pm
David Gates
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 6:58pm
Where is everyone getting the SIL / installation guide / update procedure?
I have searched the Avidyne site, and I am unable to find it.
If anyone has a copy, they could send to me, (for archival purposes, of course....)
I would appreciate it.
Regards,
Randy

****************edit*****************
Thank you for the replys, and the item requested.
Regards,
Randy

Edited by Randy - 28 Mar 2017 at 7:04pm
Regards,
Randy
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 7:00pm
PM sent to address noted.
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 11:50am
Success!

It took some discussion, and some compromise agreements about path forward if unit or units got bricked, and the shop took its time working up to the 10.2 update, but I am happy to report that I just received word that both IFD540s were successfully updated.

So now we can move on, and hopefully the shop will be retained as an Avidyne dealer.

Woo-hoo!
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 12:39pm
Excellent!!!
Mooney_Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooney_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 1:31pm
I just had my 540/440 updated to 10.2 at Chandler Avionics at KCHD (PHX area).  I called Tuesday and went in Thursday at 0900.  Out by 1300 with both units successfully updated from 10.1.1.0 to 10.2.  Very knowledgeable techs and easy to deal with.  I was their second update customer and they've had no problems so far with updates.

Install time per unit depends on your current software version.  The newest version prior to 10.2 was 10.1.1.0 and that is directly upgraded to 10.2.  Older versions may need to be upgraded to an intermediate version before 10.2 can be installed, so figure the possibility of additional time/cost per unit.  I brought a power supply along and they were able to do one in the plane and one on the bench, which shaved a little time off the whole process.  The shop was comfortable doing it with the power supply since the battery in my plane remains in the circuit in case the power supply fails.  There was not even a flicker when the power supply was unplugged and the voltage dropped to battery power only - a necessity for a successful upgrade.

As a side note before you upgrade, be sure to use your phone to take pictures of your setup pages if you've made a lot of custom settings since they will be lost after the upgrade.  Backing them up and trying to restore them from your stick after 10.2 is installed will brick the unit, according to what the techs at Chandler Avionics have read.  I can't confirm that since I wasn't willing to take a chance on a $1200 repair.  You will also have to reload the navdata (as previously mentioned in this topic), but the Chartdata was still the current data after my upgrade.  The obstacle data is still old and didn't need an update.
Dave
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 8:37pm
Update: been a month, but by working cooperatively through the issues, my IFDs were successfully updated. No bricks, the sky didn't fall, and all is working as it should. Also updated Aspens and MLB100, so everything is st most recent update level. Shop is discussing their issues with Avidyne with the goal of normalizing a strained relationship and keeping the shop as a dealer.

Total charge for all of this: 4.5 hours.

10.2 is a major step forward.

Now just waiting for TAS-A.
David Gates
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:40am
I've called my avionics shop twice.  They are a registered Avidyne dealer.  Both times they said they wanted to discuss the update with Avidyne and they would call me back.  They didn't call back either time.  I contacted Avidyne and my A&P.  It looks like my A&P will be doing the update.  
Froethel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froethel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 10:42am
I'm in the same boat as last week I brought my c182 to Islip Avionics that I had previously called and asked if they were able to install 10.2. They said they were but when my plane arrived they told me they have had a few problems and are no longer doing the install until they can resolve their problems with Avidyne. Now looking for another avionics shop near me with some experience. Any suggestions....in based at Brookhaven airport ...HWV.
Frank
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 5:45pm
Talked with a authorised Avidyne avionics shop near me. They have done 5 or 6 10.2 upgrades, all successful except one. The one they followed the instructions carefully but still had a bricked unit. They called Avidyne who promptly exchanged the unit for no charge. From what they say some units have a problem with memory issue that will fail the upgrade. 
This shop said would be glad to do the upgrade my 540 for about 2hrs of labor, also warned me to allow some extra days in case my unit has the memory problem.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

I've called my avionics shop twice.  They are a registered Avidyne dealer.  Both times they said they wanted to discuss the update with Avidyne and they would call me back.  They didn't call back either time.  I contacted Avidyne and my A&P.  It looks like my A&P will be doing the update.  

Perhaps I am a pain, but I stayed with it regarding the original shop who did the install.  We reached this agreement:

If tech bricks unit because didn't follow bulletin, and Avidyne charges, shop pays.
If unit bricks without the above, I pay (which means I duke it out with Avidyne).

Both units did fine.  And, unbelievably, they charged me 1.5 hours to update 2 units.

I understand the purpose of all of the "if...then $1200" statements in the install bulletin, but from a strategic point of view, Avi didn't do anything to solidify its dealer network, and this may amount to another lesson learned.  At least I hope so.

Edited by ddgates - 14 Apr 2017 at 9:10pm
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by KLRDMD KLRDMD wrote:

Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

The avionics shop at AVQ "can't get to it for a few weeks."

Not sure why they don't want business....

David Gates
TangoCharlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TangoCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Froethel Froethel wrote:

I'm in the same boat as last week I brought my c182 to Islip Avionics that I had previously called and asked if they were able to install 10.2. They said they were but when my plane arrived they told me they have had a few problems and are no longer doing the install until they can resolve their problems with Avidyne. Now looking for another avionics shop near me with some experience. Any suggestions....in based at Brookhaven airport ...HWV.

We had a dual install of the IFD540 upgraded recently.  One unit fine, other bricked.  We have our replacement unit now, and were told the reason for the brick is a mystery.  It seems if you're going to bill someone for it, you'd need to know the reason the update failed.

Anyway, from a business perspective, the red print does sound a bit daunting.  Lots of avenues to lose $1200.
--Mark M
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:35pm
TangoCharlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TangoCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 12:02am
Originally posted by TangoCharlie TangoCharlie wrote:

We had a dual install of the IFD540 upgraded recently.  One unit fine, other bricked.  We have our replacement unit now, and were told the reason for the brick is a mystery.  It seems if you're going to bill someone for it, you'd need to know the reason the update failed.

Anyway, from a business perspective, the red print does sound a bit daunting.  Lots of avenues to lose $1200.

Just to follow up on this, Avidyne exchanged our 540 and we were back up in about a week. We're so far pleased with 10.2, even right out of the gate with vastly improved database update speeds. More good news is it now properly displays traffic from our Lynx NGT-9000 (basic info only but that's all we were hoping for), a pleasant surprise. GDL-69A (Sirius) does fine with WX but the IFD still prevents music audio from working, same as before. Not surprising, as it wasn't claimed to be fixed.
--Mark M
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 6:24am
Can you expand on your comment about the GDL69/A not playing music? It was my understanding that not only should it play music, the IFD will control the channel change and audio. I have an MLB700 that will become obsolete (thanks to my employer IBM) and my plan was to buy a used GDL69/A to replace it. I do not want have two boxes.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:52am
What I was told was that the GDL69-A will play music just fine, and you can change the channels from the IFD screen, BUT the remote control does not currently work -- no matter what station you select it puts it to the demo station, or something like that. I expect it is just a software glitch, and will eventually be fixed.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Apr 2017 at 11:53am
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:55am
Hey Gring
What do you know as to when the MLB700 will become extinct. I spoke with my contacts at WSI and XM to convey how bad of an idea it is to turn this off but latest I heard was April but April is almost over. Thanks
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 2:06pm
My understanding is that it will be Dec 31 2017
wintec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wintec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 4:42pm
Smart avionics near lancaster will do it  717 9284360 very reliable and does it on the bench did mine in has done several with no issues talk to Ben tell him Evan sent you 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic