Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > TAS600 Systems and ADS-B
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TIS or TAS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrenwhis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIS or TAS
    Posted: 06 May 2017 at 4:04pm
I have an IFD 540, AXP340 and a Ryan 9900BX.  Currently it appears I only get TIS traffic.  If I can only display one or the other, I think I would be happier with TAS from my Ryan.  What do you guys think?  I think that would involve making the Ryan the sole supplier of traffic info to the IFD.

Edited by Warrenwhis - 06 May 2017 at 4:06pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 4:42pm
I am pretty sure that the AXP340 does not provide TIS (the old non ADS-B traffic feed), so if you are seeing traffic, it would already be from the Ryan 9000BX.

* Orest
Warrenwhis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrenwhis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 5:48pm
I see some of the traffic with N numbers. Is this possible with the Ryan. Thx Orest
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:10pm
It is certainly possible with the rebadged TAS units (like mine), I expect the Ryan does much the same with other planes that have Mode S transponders.

* Orest

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

It is certainly possible with the rebadged TAS units (like mine), I expect the Ryan does much the same with other planes that have Mode S transponders.

* Orest

Not sure how to interpret this, but with my AXP340 (Mode-S ES-squitter) combined with Ryan TAS 605 (displayed on my Aspens) and SkyTrax100 ADSB TIS (displayed on both 540's), I do see both:

1. occasional N-numbers on 540 TIS targets with full UAT speed vectors
2. frequent TAS target on Aspens (non TIS) not seen on 540's.

Can't wait for TAS "A" to display both on 540's.

BTW, will there be any way to receive 1090 targets directly when outside of ground repeater stations?

Tom W.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:51pm
The TAS-A units will accept direct 1090 transmissions as well.

* Orest

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 6:29pm

The TAS-A units will accept direct 1090 transmissions as well.

* Orest

Orest,

Can you give us some approximate timeline for TAS "A". 

Also, has anybody at Avidyne yet determined a way to have our SkyTrax100 display on Aspen's?

Tom W.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Also, has anybody at Avidyne yet determined a way to have our SkyTrax100 display on Aspen's?

Tom W.

+1.

A number of us have Aspens (particularly those like me who were prepping for DFC90s, being told that servos would happen).  No DFC90 but Aspens and a lot of Avidyne equipment in our panels.  It it not unreasonable to desire compatibility for both traffic and Wx out of the Skytrax onto the Aspens.

They said they would talk with Aspen and arrange for unit exchange to try, AFAIK never happened.

Can this be revisited?

Edited by ddgates - 06 Jun 2017 at 6:55pm
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 8:57pm

Orest,

Tom W.

Sorry, no. Not an oracle!  ;)

* Orest

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 9:32am

Orest,

Tom W.

Sorry, no. Not an oracle!  ;)

* Orest

Orest, don't we have you on the payroll yet!? ;-)
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 9:12am
"Also, has anybody at Avidyne yet determined a way to have our SkyTrax100 display on Aspen's?"

Mine does.

I have active traffic (SkyWatch) and it's traffic output was originally displayed on all my screens (Aspen EFD, 540/440 and EX5000 MFD) prior to 10.2 and 4.1 software updates.

After my software was upgraded, I had my avionics shop "turn on" ADS-B traffic to the IFD 540/440. I forgot to tell them that the Aspen was also enabled to show traffic. The avionics tech and I were both surprised to see ADS-B traffic showing up on the Aspen. There is no direct link between the MLB100 and the Aspen so that traffic info must be coming from the IFD's.

Targets are displayed in the older style diamond shape with relative altitude rather than the newer arrowheads with a trend vector line that I see on the IFD's but they are definitely ADS-B derived. I still have Skywatch displayed on the MFD so it's easy to compare sources.

I don't know if it's actually supposed to work but it definitely does in my case.

Edited by ronl - 09 Jun 2017 at 9:23am
Ron L
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 10:33am
Bonus!

* Orest
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 11:49am
Originally posted by ronl ronl wrote:

"Also, has anybody at Avidyne yet determined a way to have our SkyTrax100 display on Aspen's?"

Mine does.

I have active traffic (SkyWatch) and it's traffic output was originally displayed on all my screens (Aspen EFD, 540/440 and EX5000 MFD) prior to 10.2 and 4.1 software updates.

After my software was upgraded, I had my avionics shop "turn on" ADS-B traffic to the IFD 540/440. I forgot to tell them that the Aspen was also enabled to show traffic. The avionics tech and I were both surprised to see ADS-B traffic showing up on the Aspen. There is no direct link between the MLB100 and the Aspen so that traffic info must be coming from the IFD's.

Targets are displayed in the older style diamond shape with relative altitude rather than the newer arrowheads with a trend vector line that I see on the IFD's but they are definitely ADS-B derived. I still have Skywatch displayed on the MFD so it's easy to compare sources.

I don't know if it's actually supposed to work but it definitely does in my case.

Yes, I have the same scenario.  My Aspen(s) are displaying TAS-605 traffic, and it is known that most of the 978 boxes can display TIS-B traffic as well.

The question for me is "Can Skytrax WX be ported to the Aspens, say in GDL90 (Capstone) format to display on the MFD?

Other question is, though, how do you know you are seeing ADS-B derived traffic on the Aspens, and how are your IFDs configured?
David Gates
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 2:28pm
"Other question is, though, how do you know you are seeing ADS-B derived traffic on the Aspens, and how are your IFDs configured?"

Because the traffic displayed on the Aspen EFD is identical to the ADS-B traffic displayed on the IFD's but different than the SkyWatch active traffic displayed on the EX5000 MFD.

My MLB100 is configured to communicate with the IFD's using the "Aviation" protocol. The avionics tech had it configured using the "ADS-B ++" (?) protocol but then my Garmin 796 would not automatically download the flight plan from the IFD's so I had him switch it back. The only downside that I can see is that the yellow "ADS-B degraded" flag is constantly displayed on the IFD's traffic thumbnail. Everything else seems to work fine.
Ron L
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 6:55am
Originally posted by ronl ronl wrote:

My MLB100 is configured to communicate with the IFD's using the "Aviation" protocol. The avionics tech had it configured using the "ADS-B (G)+" protocol but then my Garmin 796 would not automatically download the flight plan from the IFD's so I had him switch it back. The only downside that I can see is that the yellow "ADS-B degraded" flag is constantly displayed on the IFD's traffic thumbnail. Everything else seems to work fine.

If you change the wiring to put the MLB100 on a different output port than the 796, you could then feed each unit with the appropriate data stream, and have it all.

David Bunin

ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 8:33am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

If you change the wiring to put the MLB100 on a different output port than the 796, you could then feed each unit with the appropriate data stream, and have it all.

David Bunin

Very true and we discussed that. Problem is, this is a Cirrus and would require pulling out the entire radio stack to add the necessary wiring (there is limited access to the back of the radio stack in a Cirrus). Since the only downside of the current setup (that I can see) is the yellow "ADS-B signal degraded" message, I'll probably just wait until the stack needs to come out for something else before correcting it.
Ron L
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic