Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foreflight 9.1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:41pm
Orest,
Would you describe in a bit more detail how the IFD can be connected via Wifi to both an IPad (Foreflight) and to a Stratus.  Up until now I have been using ONLY the IFD as the position source but there have been times in flight my MLB 100 traffic has failed and I wanted to then connect to the Stratus.  It seems I have to go to the WiFi settings in my IPad and toggle back to the Stratus instead of the IFD.  It sounds like you are saying there is a way to be connected to both at the same time.
BTW, I have 2 IFD 540s.  My top box gets XM weather and the bottom box gets ADS-B weather via the MLB100.  Thanks for the help.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by ac11 ac11 wrote:

I see you have now gone the Apple route....

I really hated spending the money on what is essentially a single purpose device, it will sit in my flight bag. But with Foreflight (absolutely an Apple fanboy) serving Jepp plates (shortly), and Jepp getting out of the app business, and looking like we will not see the IFD100 on android any time soon ...

My wife just shakes her head disapprovingly, and I hang my head in shame. Oh well. If we see movement on the android front, I can always dump the iPad.

Have to say one thing, I couldn't believe how hot an IPad tablet gets, almost too hot to pick up sometimes if it is sitting in a bit of sun. It hasn't shut down on me yet, but that may be because I use it only intermittently. And what is the deal with no BACK key! Instead you get a variety of small soft keys, usually in the top left and a reach to get to, to serve the same function. Really a half-baked notice bar too. And no "desktop" or widgets, really just an app drawer as the interface. In my view, Apple really has some design failings. 

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 31 May 2017 at 10:01pm
rfriend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:00pm
I have been trying this with no success. Could you please post a picture of your maintenance page setting in order to make this work? Would be much appreciated.
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:45pm
Orest,

I see you have now gone the Apple route. Interesting. Couldn't stand the wait for Android support?

I suppose I'll be waiting forever for an Android version of the IFD100.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by B2C2 B2C2 wrote:

In this configuration, is the ADSB data also visible on the IFD?

No, the portable derived fis/tis cannot populate the IFD.

* Orest
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:25pm
I have a skytrax100 for ADSB on my IFD540 so I always had  Wx and traffic.

I don't think there is any transfer of Wx or traffic with Foreflight but since I have both already,  i cannot say for sure
Ed
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:22pm
In this configuration, is the ADSB data also visible on the IFD?
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:16pm
Works bidirectionally with Stratus 2  as router along with supporting IFD100

Verified it with my setup this afternoon.

Ed
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

Does the 2 way flight plan transfer work with the IFD Wifi set up as remote client while using the Stratus as the wifi hotspot?

Yes!

Just fiddled around in my plane today, with an iPad mini, FF 9.1, IFD540 10.2.

FF will talk to both an IFD & Stratux/etc. simultaneously, if you have the IFD in remote mode, and the Stratux acting as the hot spot.

So, FF will download flight plans, while also being able to show ADS-B data on the tablet at the same time. No need to toggle connections. It can get a GPS position from either the IFD or the Stratux, not sure which is preferred.

FF can also upload a flight plan to the IFD in this setting. Uploaded flight plans to to the FMS|Routes page, where you can activate it. It does not change the active flight plan, which of course is the sensible thing to do.

With the IFD acting as the hot spot, FF with upload/download flight plans, and get a GPS location from the IFD.

Incidentally FltPlan Go, also does the same.

So, everything just works!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 31 May 2017 at 6:32pm
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 4:01pm
Does the 2 way flight plan transfer work with the IFD Wifi set up as remote client while using the Stratus as the wifi hotspot?
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:13pm
Terrific!  We've been waiting for this....
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:41pm
yes it does.  If I understand you correctly the take home points are this:

The BT keyboard is all by itself connected directly to IFD via BT

The IFD is the central wifi hub/hotspot that receives wired information from the transponders.

Both the IFD100 and foreflight would connect to the IFD-550 wifi hotspot for their integration.  FWIW I use separate ipads for those apps.  

I should be able to see weather and/or traffic on the IFD550/ IFD100 / Foreflight with this setup.  Ideally spreading that info out among the displays.  

I'm sure it will all make sense once I get it all finished and get to play with it.    
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:23pm
No single map that I'm aware of.

The keyboard is by its lonesome, connects by BT. Doesn't interact otherwise.

Other portable devices on WiFi are another leg, like an android or iOS tablet, running various apps.

The IFD100 is on your tablet, and uses WiFi, but it is actually on the IFD system bus, that just happens to be routed on the WiFi connection. Very clever.

Skytrax feeds data by RS232 & ARC429 to the IFD. The IFD can then serve that same data to the IFD100 on the WiFi carried system bus. The IFD can also send FIS/TIS data, and other data and send/receive flight plans on the generic WiFi link connected to tablet software. The tablet software has to take advantage of this, it has to handshake and use the data.

No, you won't need your Stratus. You would connect your tablet to the IFD550 wifi hot spot (vice the Stratus)

Does that help?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 31 May 2017 at 12:24pm
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:25am
exciting news!  I have to admit my head spins when I try to figure out the "network" of my panel.  My shop just installed the in/out transponders and are working on a glitch with the IFD550.  When I get my plane back I will have to look at how all the wireless/bluetooth connections are made.  

Using foreflight for at home flight planning and then pushing the FP to the 550/IFD100 will be nice.  

Is there a "map" that explains the connectivity between the IFD550 / AXP322/ Skytrax 100 / IFD100 / Foreflight / Avidyne keyboard?

I'm assuming I will no longer need my Stratus 2 as well.

Brent
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:36am
I wonder if this feature will be available when Foreflight is connected to a Stratus, and if so, how the WiFi network is configured.  Or will it connect to the IFD via Bluetooth?  Still no updated Pilot Guide for 9.1.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:06am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Originally posted by mkellock mkellock wrote:

Nice... two way flightplan transfer with the IFD 550/540/440.

How do you access that feature? Is it passive or active, that is do you push a button to sync it.

Does it work with a portable ADS-B device being the hot-spot, and the IFD in client mode?

* Orest

I believe it is both. There is a button to press for loading flight plan data to and from the panel IFD but I believe there is also a user option to accept changes coming from the IFD automatically. I can't seem to find an update to their PG to confirm this.

Not sure on your second question.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:45am
Originally posted by mkellock mkellock wrote:

How do you access that feature? Is it passive or active, that is do you push a button to sync it.

Does it work with a portable ADS-B device being the hot-spot, and the IFD in client mode?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 31 May 2017 at 8:49am
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:34am
Outstanding!!!
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:53pm
Great, thanks for the news, have been waiting patiently for that.
mkellock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:37pm

Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic