Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NAV Data effective dates

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NAV Data effective dates
    Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:47am
This question may have been asked and answered before but I'm not sure where to find it.  Also, this isn't necessarily specific to the IFD 100 as I'm sure it applies to the IFD's and probably any other IFR gps.  I'm really new to IFR data.

Can someone explain the technicalities surrounding effective dates?  

I just downloaded two "cycles" to my jump drive to update my 550 that just came back from the avionics shop.  Jepp allowed me to download both 1706 (current for 3 more days) and 1707 (effective June 22).  When I go to update the 550 is it going to pull both updates and do the switch for me on the 22nd?  Or will I have to manually go from 1706 to 1707 on or after the 22nd?  OR can I go ahead and skip 1706 since 07 has been released?  

And for the IFD100 (and trainer applies same way).  On the ipad I updated to 1706 and tried to download 1707 too.  It looks like it dumps one to download the other.

I'm betting the explanation is simple but need to understand it to prevent getting in the plane and having and IFD100 app that won't work because of a different database cycle.

Oh, and while I'm at it (for anyone that knows).  Is it ok to use the same jump drive for IFD data updates that I use from my JPI830 data?  Will either box get mad?

Thanks

Brent 
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:59am
The IFD550/540/440 has one database cycle active at a time.  It becomes active when you load it into the device via the USB stick.  So, if you load 1707 3 days early, that is the database the IFD will use (legality aside).  There is no way to store multiple cycles in the IFD.

I hope this helps.
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 3:15pm
Virtually all FMSs in "bigger iron" allow you to load two databases sets.  The pilot selects the current one.  This is great especially important when a trip spans across effective dates.  The Avidyne 4/5xx systems only allow one database set at a time.  If you need to switch during a trip, yto be legal you must hold the newer dataset on a memory stick until the changeover date, then load it.  This situation was highlighted to Avidyne management over a year ago with no response.
Jim Patton
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 3:22pm
Makes sense. Thanks guys.  

One follow up.  From a practical stand point (legal issues aside) what are the hypothetical problems with loading the next cycle a day or two early?  Are there changes with the system that coincide with the data cycle date?
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 3:29pm
If you have an out of date Navigation database (either an old nav set or a new, not current nav set), you run the risk of not having a waypoint, victor airway, approach, airport, or navaid available to select.

There are no software enhancements, updates, or changes when loading the Nav, Obstacle, Terrain, or Charts databases.
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 5:45pm
A slight caveat, many of the changes in any distribution update cycle have already been implemented via NOTAMs.

Edited by FlyingCOham - 19 Jun 2017 at 5:49pm
Jim Patton
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 6:45pm
The CNX-80 allows two different databases, it had most everything! Neither the G or A current products allow for that.

If I were flying over the 0900z witching hour for the changover, I'd put in the more future database as the better choice of two not perfect choices.

* Orest

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2022 at 6:55am
Since there isn't yet a change request thread for 10.4 I would like to bump this very very old request to remind Avidyne that while this may be a major job to do, I personally consider it more important than the credit it seems to be given.

Reasoning:
Sure, the next database is available for downloading onto USB from about a week before the rollover date. But there are still occasional reports of issues loading a new cycle. This is absolutely the last problem one wants to have when travelling! I don't have a laptop anymore. Just a pc at home and a tablet when travelling. There is no way for me to recreate a faulty USB stick when away from home without a huge effort (finding a pc to use, downloading JDM, contacting Jepp to reset, downloading again, etc, etc). That could easily ground me for days, especially if I'm somewhere "in the boonies". A system like the CNX-80 would definitively address this. 
Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic