Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

audible alerts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: audible alerts
    Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 11:39am
As some of you know (from other threads) I recently finished my IFD550 / skytrax 100 / AXP322 upgrade.  I kept my original GMA340 that is functioning just fine.  So far pretty good but a flight this weekend prompts a question.  There were a couple times when an alert showed up on the 550.  Lower level sight seeing and tower off to the side.  Got a "pull up terrain" alert that I visibly saw on the 550.  

I would like for those alerts to be audible through the headset.  Is this a configuration change or wiring issue?  I seem to lightly remember reading or hearing long ago that an additional wire needed to go to the audio panel... maybe for this purpose?

And... if it's an additional wire... should this have been a standard part of the install (is it listed in the installation instructions?)
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 12:08pm
It should be a standard part of the install, and is outlined in the install manuals. If you don't hear that, you won't hear a bunch of other stuff, like the Ding Dong of the TOD announce, 500ft, etc. There are a bunch more of these coming in future firmware updates.

It is one of the things that would be "missing" in a slide in 530/540 swap out, unless the 530 had certified TAWS, which is fairly rare. Putting the wire in usually means pulling the trays out.

If you do that, be sure you also run a wire to carry the IFD's #1 stby freq monitor output, to a switched input on your audio panel, if you don't have that already. Nice to have.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Jun 2017 at 12:12pm
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 12:29pm
gotcha that's what I thought... 

So the 550 was a slide in replacement as I had a 530W beforehand that did not have certified TAWS. 

The standard installation you're referring too, however, is specifically aimed at the 550 instructions I presume.  Therefor my recent transponder install wouldn't have addressed that at all, and the shop didn't really miss anything.

So I guess to get that extra wire or two I'm looking at decent amount of labor.  My mistake for not addressing that during all the recent panel work.  Hmm.  I guess I can live without that for a while unless the addition is simple enough for myself / IA to tackle.
Brent

PA32-301
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by arkvet arkvet wrote:

So I guess to get that extra wire or two I'm looking at decent amount of labor.  My mistake for not addressing that during all the recent panel work.  Hmm.  I guess I can live without that for a while unless the addition is simple enough for myself / IA to tackle.

Yes, those are nice features to have, but not critical. 

I would probably let the avionics boys do that. Count on four hours to pull the trays, identify and string the wires, and get it all put back together, perhaps a bit more.

It may make more sense to have them do that the next time they are in there. What do you have planned next? ;)

* Orest

arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

What do you have planned next? ;)

* Orest

Oh, please!  Like I would share those thoughts!  YOU have already cost me quite a bit lately!  Loving my IFD though;)

Seriously though, my next work would probably involve the 6 pack instruments.  I already have one G5 in the T/C slot due to the difficulty in moving the vacuum AI out of it's primary spot.  My NSD360 HSI still functions perfectly so I'm not in any hurry to make a change there.  Not really excited about the thought of an Aspen.  I know an Aspen would integrate well with my Century 41 AP and would have GPSS but I just think it's too much money for a pretty small screen and some people talk of having expensive issues with them  

If my vacuum AI and NSD360 hold up for a little while I'm fine with waiting to see what alternatives surface over the next few months / years.  I'm going to Oshkosh next month and am super excited to get to visit with the vendors.  It will be my first ever time to go to a big Airshow / gathering.

The SV on the IFD550 doesn't hurt my comfort level flying IMC either.  Have you seen the SV on a 9.7" Ipad pro running the IFD 100.  Wow.  And to think that's tertiary backup behind vacuum and G5.  
Brent

PA32-301
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 6:01pm
Well, I'm planning one day at Osh Kosh, on the Tuesday. Perhaps we can meet up for lunch or something.

* Orest

arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 10:00pm
I'd buy you lunch in a heartbeat but I think we're flying in Wednesday and staying till Saturday. We're flying into Milwaukee area and staying there. Renting a car. A friend of mine with a Bonanza. He's IFR so I'm sure we'll be flying his plane.
Brent

PA32-301
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2017 at 10:30pm
I'll keep that in mind, if weather forces a change for me.

I fly into Green Bay, no NOTAM, no crazy melee, and you can get a nice hotel last minute. About a 50 min drive.

* Orest

PredFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PredFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

It should be a standard part of the install, and is outlined in the install manuals. If you don't hear that, you won't hear a bunch of other stuff, like the Ding Dong of the TOD announce, 500ft, etc. There are a bunch more of these coming in future firmware updates.

It is one of the things that would be "missing" in a slide in 530/540 swap out, unless the 530 had certified TAWS, which is fairly rare. Putting the wire in usually means pulling the trays out.

If you do that, be sure you also run a wire to carry the IFD's #1 stby freq monitor output, to a switched input on your audio panel, if you don't have that already. Nice to have.

* Orest

Is there a way to configure an IFD to transmit the alerts via  bluetooth to a headset or maybe an audio panel?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by PredFan PredFan wrote:

Is there a way to configure an IFD to transmit the alerts via  bluetooth to a headset or maybe an audio panel?

No.

* Orest

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by PredFan PredFan wrote:

There may not be now but that would be an awesome thing to add to the list.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 6:10pm
It is just a single wire to hardwire it to the panel. Not sure of the utility of using BT for that.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 27 Jun 2017 at 6:11pm
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 8:26pm
This issue isn't even the cost right now, it's getting a shop to do it with all of their work backed up.
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2017 at 11:18pm
Alerts -> Audio Panel
Audio Panel Headset Jack -> BT Transmitter
BT transmitter -> BT Headset

All audio goes to the headset.  And, when one of the BT devices fails, you plug your spare backseat wired headset into the panel.

There are infinite *possibilities*.   Somewhat less make sense. 

arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by AzAv8r AzAv8r wrote:

Alerts -> Audio Panel

All audio goes to the headset.  And, when one of the BT devices fails, you plug your spare backseat wired headset into the panel.

Hmmm. Not sure I understand your "tree" regarding settings. The first part looks like IFD settings but later on it looks like some hardware involved??? Could you explain a little further ?
Brent

PA32-301
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 10:14am
FWIW I use Zulu 2 headsets so BT is already there.
Brent

PA32-301
PredFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PredFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 2:48pm

Originally posted by AzAv8r AzAv8r wrote:

Alerts -> Audio Panel

Hmmm. Not sure I understand your "tree" regarding settings. The first part looks like IFD settings but later on it looks like some hardware involved??? Could you explain a little further ?

Plus 1
marktrav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marktrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 11:08am
I've got a different question. The audible alerts work great on my 540/240. Love the 500' callout and top of decent callout on approaches. 

No, my problem comes this Saturday when I go to OSH and I'm flying low and over wind farms. I'm constantly getting "terrain, pull up" and "obstacle ahead" warnings. I know where they are, I can see them. This drives me bug nuts crazy because I can't temporarily suppress these audible warnings. I'd almost call it an unsafe situation because it adds a major distraction to an already high workload. 

Is there a way to temporarily suppress these audio warnings? 
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 2:53pm
Yes, sort-of.  Go to the AUX pages and find the volume screen, then just turn down the volume of the alerts to zero.

In my airplane, I also have the option to turn it off directly in the audio panel, but I'm not running the 240.
marktrav View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marktrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:15pm
I will try that, thanks!!
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 12:57pm
You might also want to check the terrain options on pages 4-45 to 4-47 of the PG. It looks to me like one of those should address your need. (AUX-SETUP-User Options on the IFD540).

Vince
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic