Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MLB700 trade-in.........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MLB700 trade-in.........
    Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:22pm
Could somebody please give an update on what is happening to us orphaned MLB700 users. I am looking after 1 aircraft with MLB700 & IFD540, one with MLB700&EX5000/IFD540 and 1 with MLB700/MLX770 &  IFD540/EX600, all 3 already 2020 compliant with AXP340/322. Need to continue to get broadcast weather into the cockpit.
Thank You
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 4:39pm
I am going to replace my MLB700 with a used older Garmin GDL69/A XM receiver which displays on on my IFD540s. I have zero interest in ADS-B FIS-B and I don't want an iPad and associated cables in the cockpit.
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 7:00pm
You may want to carefully consider the acquisition and installation cost.  My mechanic has heard rumors that Sirius XM will be decommissioning their service in the not too distant future. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by George P George P wrote:

You may want to carefully consider the acquisition and installation cost.  My mechanic has heard rumors that Sirius XM will be decommissioning their service in the not too distant future. 

SiriusXM has cancelled the contract for their previous weather data partner, they are moving to WSI. Which is why the MLB700 will go dark, it is a contractual thing, WSI provides that feed and they can't provide both.

SiriusXM satellite broadcast weather is definitely NOT going away, just changing (internally) the provider.

* Orest

kgrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 9:46pm
What hardware is available to continue utilizing WSI weather on EX500 equipment? K
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 11:29am
In the meantime I have an extra brand new in the box SXAR1 XM weather/music portable for use with Foreflight (subscriptions required). The after rebate net cost would be $125. email me if interested (lancecasper@me.com).

Edited by LANCE - 05 Jul 2017 at 4:23pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 11:41am
Originally posted by kgrant kgrant wrote:

What hardware is available to continue utilizing WSI weather on EX500 equipment? K

Head's up technologies receivers.  You may find them used from shops that have installed R9 in the Cirrus.
kgrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 7:58am
Is the Head's up receiver operating on WSI now? The WSI communication I received indicated the MLB700 works through Dec 31. k
kgrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 8:09am
No mention of alternate deliver hardware options in the discontinuation letter WSI sent me February 22, 2017:

"Dear Kelly, 

As a loyal customer of the InFlight offering from The Weather Company, an IBM Business, (formerly WSI) we would like to thank you for your business and trusting us to deliver the inflight weather information on which you have come to rely. 

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we regret to inform you of the discontinuation of our ability to resell SXM data subscription services and sell and support the certified aircraft hardware over which it is delivered (the WSI AV-300 & AV-350 Broadcast Datalink receivers and associated antennas) as of Dec. 31, 2017. Support will be available through that date. 

Renewals in 2017
For those who wish to renew service during 2017, those renewals will be processed with a Dec. 31, 2017, end date; the cost of the service will be calculated accordingly. Companies purchasing aircraft with the hardware installed during 2017 can be offered a partial-year subscription. All renewals and new contracts initiated during 2017 will be done so with the stipulation that the service will cease on Dec. 31, 2017, as will be clearly communicated in the new or renewed service agreement. 

Hardware Support in 2017
In the case of a satellite receiver or antenna failure during 2017, ongoing equipment replacement services will be available only through the calendar year; The Weather Company’s support and sale of replacement AV-300 and AV-350 receivers and antennas will cease on Dec. 31, 2017. No new orders for replacement receivers and antennas will be accepted after that date. 

In the case of hardware failures occurring before the end of 2017: Current InFlight customers wishing to continue to restore InFlight functionality and continue to use the service will be offered an 80 percent discount from the out-of-warranty replacement cost (subject to the restrictions outlined below) for customers. Customers may alternatively initiate a free subscription to The Weather Company’s Pilotbrief Optima Enterprise for iPad for either 90 days or through Dec. 31, 2017, whichever is longer. At the expiration of this free period, former InFlight customers will have the option to subscribe to Pilotbrief Optima Enterprise for iPad at the current rate. 

Both options listed above require the return and evaluation of the failed hardware by The Weather Company to determine a customer’s qualification. The replacement hardware offer is subject to availability, and supplies are limited. If a unit qualifies and replacement hardware is available, The Weather Company will provide a price quote for the replacement with the applied 80 percent discount. When available supplies of equipment are exhausted, customers will be offered the Pilotbrief Optima Enterprise for iPad subscription. 

Try a 90-Day Free Trial of Pilotbrief Optima
InFlight customers that remain through the discontinuation date may take advantage of a 90-day free trial of Pilotbrief Optima Enterprise for iPad; customers wishing to initiate this trial may do so at any time during January 2018. Contact your sales representative before Jan. 31, 2018. The 90-day free trial can be converted to a subscription at your convenience. The Weather Company will provide interested customers with detailed information on the Pilotbrief Optima Enterprise for iPad offering in terms of features, advantages, and benefits along with roadmap plans, as it is the current offering for weather and other critical flight information during the preflight and inflight phases. 

With this letter, The Weather Company will be exiting the market for certified aircraft hardware for delivery of our industry-leading solutions in the cockpit. We will instead rely on our partners, such as SXM, to work with aviation industry manufacturers to provide solutions that deliver our products directly to cockpit displays. 

If you have any questions about this announcement or require clarification, please contact your sales representative. Thank you again for your support of the WSI InFlight product line. We look forward to serving you with our Pilotbrief Optima Enterprise for iPad and other innovative aviation offerings. 

Sincerely, 

John-Paul Gorsky
Director, Aviation Product Line"
k
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:48am
Originally posted by kgrant kgrant wrote:

Is the Head's up receiver operating on WSI now? The WSI communication I received indicated the MLB700 works through Dec 31. k

Heads UP uses XM.
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 1:43am
What about some official word from Avidyne, who's MLB700 is my equipment?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 12:49pm
The MLB700 uses the weather data from WSI. WSI has announced they are no longer supporting the weather data that the MLB700, AV300 and AV350 uses. This was communicated to us the same time that our customers were told about the discontinuation at the end of the year (12/31/2017). 

We are in the process of a software release for the MFD users to allow the display of ADS-B weather and traffic via our SkyTrax Series. 
If a customer is still looking for a satellite-based weather solution, we still support the Heads Up XMD076 and is unaffected by the WSI decision.

We are still evaluating options for the possibility of satellite-based weather solution to replace the MLB700 but at this time there is nothing I can share on that front.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 4:54pm
Well, today I dropped my airplane off at the avionics shop to have my much loved MLB700 removed from my airplane and a used XM/WX GDL69/A installed.  Now I get to pay $5 more a month for less weather features than I had before.  Seems like an upgrade to me...

I love the Avidyne products, it is just disappointing that the service is coming to an end.

As far as I can tell, the GDL69 and 69/A are the only products that will work with the IFD series.  The Headsup Technology does not.  Unfortunate because the boxes are pretty cheap compared to the Garmin GDL series.

Edited by Gring - 05 Oct 2017 at 4:56pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 11:54am
I picked up my airplane with the new GDL 69/A installed.  I can tell you that it functions perfectly with the IFDs and the audio interface is nicely integrated.  I like what Avidyne has done with the favorites and ability to scroll easily through the available channels.  If anyone does install one, I would suggest installing the optional external switches that control the channel, volume, and mute.  This allows control of the unit outside of the IFDs.

Used GDL69/A, Tray, Antenna - $1500
Labor to install - $2225

So, it's not cheap, and likely the older XM/WX system will be shut down at some point in the future and a new solution found.  The SXM GDL 69/A is plug and play with the XM/WX GDL 69/A, so when the IFD software is update to handle the stream, that will be a good option.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 6:01am
Gring- sent you a message. I’d like to hear more about the installation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic