Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Charts Cause Too Much Work!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronald Mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charts Cause Too Much Work!
    Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 7:38pm
Maybe I am doing this all wrong.

Here are the thoughts I shared with Mr. Bennett as I am still waiting on a response I thought I would post this for comments:

There is too much labor intensive work between the Maps and the Charts during multiple approaches.  As I suggest below, some software changes and you can GREATLY reduce the workload.

Here is what I mean.  This was a REAL IPC that I just did and it was intensive flying, not because of the flying I was doing, but because of the WORK I was doing with the 540:

In IPC training we went to 3 airports in quick succession.

FIRST was to KCYO:

I set up direct to airport KCYO.

Then as we are flying, I enter the approach and pick the approach to the runway.  I picked GPS 28 to KCYO. 

Now when I go to pick the chart it is not already automatically loaded.  The last approach I did was a week before to KOSU.  The charts I am to pick from are all KOSU charts.

So now, as I’m buzzing along trying to load in that VERY SMALL BOX KCYO I am not ready for entry into the hold because I’m still trying to bring up the chart.

I finally get it loaded.

Do the hold and the approach.

NOW, its off to KLCK for an ILS.

SECOND approach to KLIC:

First thing I do is hit Direct KLCK.

I now load ABOVE KLCK on the FMC the ILS 23 approach.

Now, its time for a new chart right?

And of course the airport did NOT auto load to KLCK as its still on KCYO.  Interesting, even thought I am now Direct KLIC the flight in the FMS still shows KCYO and the GPS 28 approach under KLIC.

After working on getting all that done, I FINALLY get the chart up.

BUT now, I have forgotten to load the LOCALIZER frequency into the NAV.

So just as I am about to reach the localizer, I get it plugged to the nav and it’s a turn into the localizer.

THIRD approach to KOSU:

FINALLY, we are headed to KOSU for the GPS 27L WAAS approach

I hit direct to KOSU.

I must now load the approach into the FMS.

That is all fairly easy, pick the approach.

However, even though I have entered the approach and entered it, the plane Nav GPS is still going to KOSU.

OK, I fix that and highlight the IAP at KLONY.

OOPS, time to get the chart.

YEP, Charts are set for KLCK.

Again, fiddle with the little box and forget to hit the enter button and when I go to pick my chart, back to KLCK we go.

Now, lesson learned, hit "enter" after in little chart box I type KOSU.

NOW, I pick chart GPS 27L WAAS.

NOW, ATC turns me to FAF BEFORE I get to the IAF.

I’m now concerned because I am unsure if I turn BEFORE the IAF will the 540 NAV want me to fly to the IAF KLONY?

I take no changes and drop down to the FAF fix and hit direct to and the NAV system fly’s properly as each fix pops up correctly. 

ALL OF THIS WAS A LOT OF WORK.

OK, here is my STRONG suggestion.

When I hit “direct to” ANY airport, the system should know that CHARTS to ANY other airport are a DANGER to me.

It should be simple to auto load the Chart selector airport key to whatever airport is selected in the "direct to" and get that heading.

FURTHER, if I select the approach to ANY airport, the chart should ALSO automatically select that approach.  I just selected in the FMS the approach I want.

It is WAY TOO MUCH WORK on approach to have to do all these manual entries when the in a simple program change to the system can 1) Select the airport charts to match the airport I’m going “direct to” or frankly whenever its in the flight plan and coming up.

Next, once the approach is selected, again, the CHART for that approach should automatically come up.

Now, let’s say I’m flying a SID or a STAR.

This should be no problem to have it auto loaded  as I do NOT need a SID or STAR from an airport that I departed or landed last week.

Load the STAR chart first into the FMS, then the approach plate.  This way the FIRST chart I get is the STAR.  When I go back to select charts button, now the the airport and approach plate are pre-loaded.

If I have a flight with SID and STAR and approach plate then load them in that order.

So if I depart from first airport and I load in STAR then the departure airport is selected and when I ask to select chart, there is my SID.

Now after en-route and I’m headed to a STAR and its preloaded, when I open charts again, boom, there is my correct STAR.

When I am close enough and I get inside the STAR the airport and approach is now ready for me to load into the FMS.

When I load it into the FMS it will automatically pull that approach plate.

Finally, bad weather over destination, diverting to alternate.  As soon as I hit Direct to the Alternate, all new airport is now selected. 

As soon as I am told which approach I will get and I load it into the FMS, then BOOM when I open “select chart” there is my approach plate.

Finally, one final question:

When I was doing all these approaches at 3 different airports, my MAP page was a mess. Because all 3 charts were still displayed on the MAP.

I could not figure out how to delete them.
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 12:19am
These seeming odd behaviors bothered me too until discovered better ways to acomplish those tasks. I think I had a mild case of lingering Garminitis. ;-)

Note that when you select the "chart" tab on the map, a line select key (LSK) pops-up that says "Select Chart". Push that and then another LSK pops-up that says "Paste KXXX" which will always your current destination airport. Punch that button and all approaches for your destination will pop=up.

When doing a round-robin of airports for an IPC or practice, I use the "Route" tab and create a route for each airport and include the expected approach (if I know what approach we'll be flying). That way, instead of adding a new destination to the end of a long flight plan, I just activate the saved route with 3 clicks. This has the added benefit of eliminating all the left over clutter on the map.

I do the same thing when in actual conditions. I create a route for my expected alternate prior to reaching my primary. Then, if I need it, I don't have to fumble around trying to type it in. All I have to do is activate the route to my alternate.
Ron L
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 4:25pm
A few thoughts on how to simplify things:

1) You should never have to tune a localizer frequency. Just program the approach into the IFD and the localizer will auto-tune.

2) You can have multiple airports in your flight plan, so put in everywhere you expect to go before you take off, if possible. Just enter them one after another if you don't have a routing between them. 

3) When it comes time to enter an approach, push the PROC button. A list of approaches for one of your airports will appear. If it's the wrong airport, push PROC again. Keep pushing it until the correct airport and approaches are shown. Then select the approach and transition you want. That makes the new airport the destination airport.

4) As the previous poster mentioned, use the PASTE line select key to pull up the destination airport for the charts you want.

If you use the above points you will lower your workload a lot. On the flight you cited, you should put in all the destinations on the ground. When in flight, use the PROC button to select the approach you want, then the PASTE key to bring up the chart.  You don't need to enter any airport IDs or localizer frequencies.

The IFD has more capability and flexibility than the G**** boxes. With flexibility comes complexity. The best way to gain proficiency is to practice your whole flight on the ground with the Windows or iPad IFD simulator. Keep practicing until you get a good flow and the button-ology becomes instinctive. You will save yourself some grey hair.

Mike

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic