Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Garmin announces new autopilots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garmin announces new autopilots
    Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:38am
Sweet as hell: new certificated autopilots ($6995 without electric pitch trim integration, more if you add it) from Garmin. The bigger news: autopilot pickoff for the G5!

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Garmin-Announces-New-Retrofit-Autopilots-229297-1.html

I won't replace my Autocontrol IIIb just yet, but now that I can get autopilot integration on the G5 I'll be putting in a pair of those suckers most ricky tick.
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 2:06pm
Paul if your autocontrol 3 uses your vacuum AI to operate you'll have to keep it. G5 AI function / AP integration is not part of this announcement. Now if space permits you could relocate your vacuum AI to the TC spot and then retain its AP driving function while still doing the dual G5's. It would be my solution but it was going to be lots of labor to move my AI to TC so I've been delaying.
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 2:23pm
Darn. I was assuming that they were including AI integration. A more careful reading of http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/featured-releases/garmin-announces-third-party-autopilot-support-g5-electronic-flight- says it's only for heading and course, though. Darn it.
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 3:12pm
Darn it.  I can agree with that sentiment.

Still nice to see progress.  We'll get there.  Sure wish Avidyne would release their EFIS to compete.
Brent

PA32-301
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by arkvet arkvet wrote:

Still nice to see progress.  We'll get there.  Sure wish Avidyne would release their EFIS to compete.

A DFC90 with servos would be a great response.

Forget the G5; they (G*) never are gonna modify their STC to include our IFDs anyway.
David Gates
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Forget the G5; they (G*) never are gonna modify their STC to include our IFDs anyway.

Do they have to modify it?  People were installing GTX345 transponders and IFD's for quite some time before G added Avidyne to it's STC as an approved gps position source.
Brent

PA32-301
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Do they have to modify it?  People were installing GTX345 transponders and IFD's for quite some time before G added Avidyne to it's STC as an approved gps position source.

Don't know.  They already say the higher priced AP works with G500/G600 and Aspens.

Maybe the STC won't care what the nav source is (doubt that though).
David Gates
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 5:47pm
I think the Avidyne IFD's are WAY too popular for G to ignore them.  The ability to use the G5 HSI with IFD with legacy AP's will occur soon, if there's even any issue to begin with.  

I will be visiting the G booth at Oshkosh.  I'm not going till next Wednesday and I'll bet they'll already be very tired of the questions I'll have.  
Brent

PA32-301
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 5:53pm
You may be right; G* has a history of trying to protect its ecosystem.

I don't think the compatability between some G* products and Avidyne's came from brotherly cooperation though, more like reverse engineering.

We shall see.
David Gates
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 6:10pm
If you read back thru the G5 thread, AviSimpson mentioned that Avidyne needs to add the G5 to their install manual.   THIS should be doable.   

Now, with the GAD-29B, that will support my STEC-50 with the G5 HSI, I want one (two).  Plus, I can replace one of my 106's that is dying AGAIN.  And have a backup AI.  And I get an HSI. 

Ken

Edited by comancheguy - 18 Jul 2017 at 6:16pm
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 6:11pm
Oh far from brotherly, I agree!!!  We all know that G's avionics portfolio is wide enough that it benefits it to not play nicely.  The more traction the other players gain the less ideal it is for G to not play along.  Take myself for example.  I've got room for other Garmin goody's on my panel... But I also have an IFD 550 that I think kicks the crap out of the GTN 750.  The more obvious it appears G blocks integration (for reasons of profit only) the less likely I will be to buy G in the future if other options exist.  Right now I don't see them going too far out of the way to block integration.  Drag feet, yes.  Block, no.  

I consider Foreflight / Stratus to be in a similar boat.  Not playing nice with other systems builds profit... up to a point.
Brent

PA32-301
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 6:32pm
I do think that G* is making a (successful) play for the GA autopilot market with these two products.

Genesys is going to be unlikely to be able to compete: fair enough, the STECS, Centurys, and BKs have been gouging GA for old tech for a long time.  Now there's a new kid on the block.

One last time, it is unfortunate that Avidyne didn't "get 'er done" on the DFC90.  They'd already dominate the GA AP market if they had, I would question whether G* would have even gone down this road if the DFC90 were reasonably available for a clean sheet install.

Edited by ddgates - 18 Jul 2017 at 6:41pm
David Gates
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 10:29pm
G* needs to re-watch  "A Beautiful Mind"  Game theory says the guys who cooperate reap far more than the proprietary moguls.   Apple notwithstanding.  
I'm buying a Trio or Trutrak for my 172 next week.
JWJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic