Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Synthetic Vision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Synthetic Vision
    Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 12:08pm
During the last several flights, I have noticed that the ownship symbol on my IFD540's MAP-SVS page has shown a "fixed" level orientation regardless of whether my airplane is turning, climbing, or descending or any combination of these. Both the iPad and PC IFD simulators show the ownship symbol "banking" during turns and "pitching" during climbs and descents on the MAP-SVS page. Other than that, my MAP-SVS page looks normal with respect to terrain, routes, shadows, traffic, FLTA, and grid lines.

I seem to recall a document issued by Avidyne describing the MAP-SVS ownship depiction behavior on the IFD's; however, cannot currently find it (it may have been the original draft IFD540 PG for software version 10.2).  The current IFD540 PG does not mention anything about the ownship symbol "banking" or "pitching" with flight path changes.

I thought when I upgraded to 10.2.0 that I looked for this ownship behavior on the MAP-SVS page; however, may have not have specifically noticed it (or lack of it) while taking in all the other cool changes that came with software 10.2.0.

I was curious if anyone else on the forum has noticed this ownship behavior (or lack of) with their IFD?

While the iPad and PC IFD simulators exhibit this ownship behavior, I also noticed that the IFD100's MAP-SVS ownship always stays "fixed" on both my iPad mini and iPad Pro when connected to either my airplane's IFD540 or the iPad IFD simulator across a WiFi network. Interestingly enough, in researching this, I just viewed an AvWeb video from Sun & Fun 2016 regarding Synthetic Vision and the announced 10.2 update and IFD100. In that video, it can clearly be seen that the demo IFD100's MAP-SVS ownship was "banking" during turns.

This leads me to ask whether Avidyne removed this ownship behavior entirely from the release 10.2.0; however, did not take it out of the IFD simulators?

FWIW - my IFD540 is in a Piper Archer with no heading or air data computer inputs.

Avidyne Tech Support wanted a picture of what I was talking about; however, I won't be able to get that for a few days. They also inquired if I was near my flight plan route when testing this behavior; I was about half the time.

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 9:19am
I found the draft IFD540 PG for sw 10.2. The section outlined in red was removed from the current version of the IFD540 PG for sw 10.2. This page also became page 3-50 in the current IFD540 PG.

jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:45pm
Is anyone else bothered by the 1.2" wide magenta line at the bottom of the display when you are on course with SVS?  Come On!! do we really need that fat a line to stay on course?  It is very distracting when in IFR conditions like I was on the way to Oshkosh with rain on the windshield for 90 min.  It kind of masks other info.  I would toggle back to MAP and go back to my vacuum AI to keep the dirty side down.  BTW The SVS is in my IFD550.

Edited by jwjenks - 02 Aug 2017 at 5:48pm
JWJ
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 7:06am
I'm seriously considering an IFD 540/550 as part of my panel upgrade.  For those of you that have flown with one for awhile, do you find the SVS feature useful?  

I've played with the sim - I think I like the SVS from map view. Not sure I would use SVS with ARS in the 550 much, except maybe as a back up to a failed AI, since it requires toggling back to map view in order to see nav data. Do you feel the 550 is worth the premium price tag? 

What say you?

Edited by Stiletto1 - 20 Aug 2017 at 7:08am
C310C
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 7:34am
Synthetic vision is pretty much of a gimmick for me with the 540, albeit a neat one.

I opted not to swap my 540 for a 550.  If I want a backup AHRS, I can get a Garmin G5 for a lot less than the premium on the 550.  Don't get me wrong, it's a very cool feature, I just don't think it's worth it.  (I'm also a guy that thought merging cameras and cellphones was a dumb idea -- I obviously realize now that it was a game-changer, so I may be way off on this one, too)
Freff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:21am
In my 540 I find the synthetic vision to be useful in certain situations.  For example when approaching an airport with traffic targets shown, for me, it is a great way to see where the airport is and where traffic targets in and around the pattern are.   Also I found that while flying in the rockies it was useful as well.

The SVS screen would be much better if the data that displays on the right side of the normal map screen was displayed on the right side of the SVS screen..

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 11:12am
I think if you do NOT have an electronic PFD/MFD of some sort, then the IFD540 -> IFD550 would be a solid upgrade.

If you already have an ASPEN or G500, maybe not quite as useful, if you have to upgrade, as there isn't an easy upgrade path at present. I've decided to pass on it. Perhaps I should have signed up for the deal pre-release.

I think if you were buying your first IFD, then I'd go with the IFD550 regardless.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Aug 2017 at 11:15am
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I think if you do NOT have an electronic PFD/MFD of some sort, then the IFD540 -> IFD550 would be a solid upgrade.

If you already have an ASPEN or G500, maybe not quite as useful, if you have to upgrade, as there isn't an easy upgrade path at present. I've decided to pass on it. Perhaps I should have signed up for the deal pre-release.

I think if you were buying your first IFD, then I'd go with the IFD550 regardless.

* Orest

I agree completely. I still have steam gauges so when the deal came up on the pre-purchase upgrade I went for it. I've heard rumors that eventually the Attitude info will be transmitted wirelessly which may be useful on tablets.
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Freff Freff wrote:

The SVS screen would be much better if the data that displays on the right side of the normal map screen was displayed on the right side of the SVS screen..

+1
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 11:22am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

* Orest

As I messaged about a month ago, I was flying around Lake Okeechobee when I noticed the attitude indicator getting "the leans".  I soon realized the vacuum pump had quit.  Since I have an IFD 550/440 setup, I just hit SVS on the 550, and the vacuum failure was a non-event!  Very neat system, and I was glad I went for the upgrade when initially offered.
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic