Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jeppesen Pricing, note yours within.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeppesen Pricing, note yours within.
    Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 4:02pm
I searched and couldn't find pricing info on the Avidyne 540 forum so......
Please add any pricing you have gotten.
7/26/17
For one IFD540
Single update pricing isn't on their website.
Navdata: USA one time $160, east/central one time $135
You can find subscription $$ online. Navdata USA 12 months $480
The below pricing was with a single navdata update, probably the same price without:
One time terrain $230
One time east obstacle $50
One time USA obstacle $65

For now I just did the single USA navdata and USA obstacle.
IFD100 download went smooth too.
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Bad1996 Bad1996 wrote:

I searched and couldn't find pricing info on the Avidyne 540 forum so......
Please add any pricing you have gotten.

I do the "Avidyne Bundle" with Western US Charts. For two IFD440 and the EX5000 NavData and Charts it's $770/yr. The ESI-500 is $155/yr.  Here are the service descriptions. It usually takes 3-4 calls before I get someone that doesn't want to charge me $2500 at renewal!

Integrated Bundled Services Avidyne Bundle

NavData Coverage Avidyne EX5000, EX600, EX500 Americas

2x NavData IFR Coverage Avidyne IFD440 West/Central USA

2x Obstacles Coverage Avidyne IFD440 West/Central USA

2x Terrain Coverage Avidyne IFD440 Worldwide

Electronic Chart Services Western US JV MFD IFR Coverage

Electronic Chart Services Avidyne Jepp Services Suite Plus IFR

Electronic Chart Services Avidyne EX 500/5000 Jepp Services Suite

NavData & Obstacles Coverage L3 Communications ESI500

Edited by TomH - 26 Jul 2017 at 7:22pm
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 8:45pm

Originally posted by Bad1996 Bad1996 wrote:

For one IFD540
Single update pricing isn't on their website.
Navdata: USA one time $160, east/central one time $135
You can find subscription $$ online. Navdata USA 12 months $480
The below pricing was with a single navdata update, probably the same price without:
One time terrain $230
One time east obstacle $50
One time USA obstacle $65

I finally put on my big-boy pants and "went legit" by purchasing a subscription here at Oshkosh.

The pricing they told me was what you posted here, as best I can recall.

I only asked about NAV data.  I don't care about the terrain, obstacles, or charts.  I can get charts on my iPad for way less and the terrain doesn't change enough to concern me.  I might decide to update the obstacles once in a while, but not now.  So in terms of Nav data there are choices:

East/West data or Full US data.  Either one will get me Texas, but I imagine myself going to Sun-N-Fun in the spring (or Oshkosh in the summer) and then Phoenix for Christmas.  I didn't ask if they would let me go back and forth between the East data and the West data, but they are the same price.

All three data regions (E/W/F) can be purchased as a one-time update or as a subscription.  The subscription price is roughly equal to three updates.

Full US Nav data one-time costs $160.  Subscription costs $480, except that they are running a $50 rebate here at Oshkosh, if you spend more than $200.  So I pulled the trigger for $430 for a year of national coverage.  Of course the government took back half of my rebate in sales tax, and I was out the door for $458 total.

I don't recall the exact pricing on the East or West regional data, but it wasn't enough to earn the $50 rebate on either a one-time or on a subscription basis.

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 8:46am
If you get a COPA (Cirrus Owners and Pilots Ass'n) Membership and give them your member number at Oshkosh or Sun N Fun or on the phone you get 15 months for the price of 12 months on your Jepp subscription. The airplane your equipment is on doesn't have to be a Cirrus, you just need the membership.

Edited by LANCE - 27 Jul 2017 at 8:47am
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 1:17pm
< ="text/">P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Mine, US data only 540/yr

I have lifetime Seattle Avionics, that does everything else in my system.

Two Aspens, 3 I pads, and the adsb for the traffic system.

I absolutely  despise the "Jepp" solution.

Sauce
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 8:54am
Full USA Navdata  $480/yr.

I didn't realize they were offering a $50 rebate here at Oshkosh.  I'm going to head over there this morning and take advantage of that.  Thanks David!
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 11:41am
Full USA navdata and charts: $1030 or so. I probably won't re-buy charts next time though; I never use them on the IFD540.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2017 at 6:42pm
The only reason I buy charts is so that I can have them on the IFD100 and now Jepps charts at no additional cost on Foreflight.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 9:44am
Not sure how many users here are interested in Europe pricing, but Jeppesen quoted me approximately $2'250 (Euro 1'918.70 actually) for a yearly Avidyne Integrated Services Bundle subscription for one IFD540 with:
- Central Europe IFR Navdata
- Central Europe IFD540 Obstacles
- Central Europe IFD540 Terrain
- IFD540 Electronic Chart Services Plus (i.e. incl charts on IFD540 & IFD100)
- Europe Electronic Chart Services MFD IFR coverage
- Europe Electronic Chart Services MFD VFR coverage

That was a bit too rich for my pocketbook, and I decided to just take the Central Europe IFR Navdata coverage for the IFD540 from Jeppesen.

For the charts, I decided to take the Jeppesen Europe IFR & VFR chart services via ForeFlight for $1'089 which includes ForeFlight Pro Plus with Canada or USA FF/FAA charts. It also allows me to sync flight plans between ForeFlight and the IFD540.

This route doesn't include any charts on the IFD540 or IFD100, and I still need to pay Jepp directly $400 for the Europe IFR Navdata for the IFD540. However, I feel the extra $700 is too high a price to pay just for charts on the IFD540 and IFD100.

It also doesn't include the Terrain or Obstacle subscription but those can be ordered one-off if and when I feel an update is needed. 

Edited by chflyer - 01 Aug 2017 at 6:45am
Vince
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

Full USA navdata and charts: $1030 or so. I probably won't re-buy charts next time though; I never use them on the IFD540.

My Full USA Navdata is $480.  I renewed at Oshkosh and got the $50 discount, so it was $430 plus tax.

You're getting both for $1030??  I don't really want charts, but I'm just sick and tired of this pricing bullsh*t.  Jeppesen should friggin KNOW what options are available, including any bundle discounts.  They had a printed list of options at their customer service area, but it didn't include bundles.  I asked the guy how much it would be to add charts and was told it would be an additional $940 for charts (which would be $1420, not $1030).  

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 10:04pm
Need some provider competition - options, which work with the IFD.

This Jepp monopoly was bad out of the gate but we were told it would get better.

Guess what?  It hasn't.
David Gates
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 4:49pm
It will probably only get worse with Jeppesen.  The Jepp tent at Oshkosh was all about Foreflight.  My friend has a take on this that I think makes a lot of sense.  Here is his theory:

Foreflight has a superior user interface to just about any EFB out there.  Foreflight teamed with Jepp to penetrate both the airline and corporate cockpits which were traditionally Jeppesen.  Once Foreflight gets into those cockpits, those pilots won't want to lose the great interface.  Foreflight can then just cut Jeppesen loose, because they won't need them anymore. 

If that theory is correct, I suspect Jeppesen will raise prices across the board as they lose market share to Foreflight and others. 

I really wish we had some other option than the monopoly that is Jeppesen.  They are not the only game in town.  Seattle Avionics provides IFR ChartData for the Bendix/King KNS770.  It's $299/yr for full US IFR chartdata.  That's 37.7% below what I pay to Jepp.
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:13pm
We are all sick and tired of Jepp pricing.  I talked to the Seattle Avionics VP at Oshkosh.  He said if Avidyne would allow Seattle Avionics Charts and Nav data it would be $150 per year.  And like nrproces (above) I have a lifetime subscription on my iPad with FlyQ (Seattle Avionics) and I fly with both.  I get weather and traffic on FlyQ and my IFD550 from my MLB100.  ADSB info for FlyQ actually comes by WIFI from the MLB100 (really a NavWorx ADS600-B).
JWJ
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:54pm
Jepp is expensive compared to "free" US data, but elsewhere it is comparable in price to government issued data. And Jepp does have similarly priced international competition.

Jepp as a universal solution makes a lot of sense for Avidyne, or Garmin, so personally it is no surprise to me. FWIW I much prefer Jepp charts to NavCanada or NACO charts.

I expect the effort to bring in a competing product for US-only use might be nice, but I suspect it would likely involve significant recoding and certification work.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Aug 2017 at 6:01pm
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2017 at 5:57pm
I agree with jwjenks.

We have a Cessna 172 with an IFD 540, a Stratus 2, and a couple iPads with ForeFlight.  We don't really need Jepp charts but we like having charts on the IFD because redundancy is good.  But the database and charts for the IFD are close to the cost of an annual for this plane.

This discussion has been going on for years.  When it first started Seattle didn't have a full set of charts.  Now they do.

It is time to make us happy - offer us an alternative to Jepp.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 12:06am
Originally posted by jwjenks jwjenks wrote:

We are all sick and tired of Jepp pricing.  I talked to the Seattle Avionics VP at Oshkosh.  He said if Avidyne would allow Seattle Avionics Charts and Nav data it would be $150 per year.  . . 

Careful what you wish for . . . .

Edited by LANCE - 07 Aug 2017 at 12:06am
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 1:48pm
Hey, Lance
Both those postings you listed are anon...probably jepp employees.
I have never had any of those issues, so ya, we all should be careful, especially with a gorilla like jepp dictating prices.
Sauce
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 2:04pm
I have both Jepp and SA data sources.

The Jepp interface is cleaner and faster but is much more $$.

The SA interface could use some optimization and I expect they'll probably do that at some point.

Once again, choice, and competition in the marketplace drive product offerings...
David Gates
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by nrproces nrproces wrote:

Hey, Lance
Both those postings you listed are anon...probably jepp employees.
I have never had any of those issues, so ya, we all should be careful, especially with a gorilla like jepp dictating prices.

Those who posted aren't anonymous - you have to have a Beechtalk account to see their names. They certainly aren't Jepp employees - they are real users who find the way you get data from Seattle difficult. 

I had dual Aspens in a previous airplane - love the Aspens, hated the way you had to get the data from Seattle. Finally gave up after even they couldn't figure out the problem and didn't bother to do the updates.

As Avidyne owners have Jepp as the provider, we knew that when we bought the units. There may have been rumors as to other providers down the road but Jepp has been the only published, confirmed provider. It may be more than we would like to pay, but it works. I don't think it's going to do much good to complain. They were certified with Jepp data - it works. I can't imagine Avidyne putting any priority on getting a second provider when the one we have works. 

I was very impressed when Foreflight added Jepp charts and since I bought charts on my Avidyne subscription I get them at no charge. That was a nice surprise.

Edited by LANCE - 07 Aug 2017 at 4:05pm
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 9:31pm
So far, I've found the Aspen/SA update process to be both easier and more reliable than the IFD/Jepp process.   I have a lot more data points on the Aspen than the IFD though.

I have to take action for an IFD update.  The SA update just shows up on my microSD card, I get an email telling me this, I stuff it in the Aspen when I'm ready to use it, and it's automagically there.

In the future, I expect I will not purchase Avionics that do not have competing options for data subscriptions.
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 11:10am
"They certainly aren't Jepp employees"

Ok, I will bite, How do you know?

(Friends of yours?)

Anyway, Opinions are just that... I find the Seattle updates to be easy,  I wrote a small applet to get them to automate download on the proper day, when I am ready I put the chips in and the next time I walk by the puter the updates are done. Not so with the Jepp, I have to babysit it and it costs five times what I paid per year, compared to my lifetime... 540/year jepps, 120/lifetime for Seattle although it is more now.

Yep my day job requires the Jepp's but the company pays for it, they are "nice" but not worth what they charge for them. Yep Just my Opinion...
Sauce
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by nrproces nrproces wrote:

I wrote a small applet to get them to automate download on the proper day, when I am ready I put the chips in and the next time I walk by the puter the updates are done. 

I think you've just proven the point - if you have to write an applet and you find it easy, it's probably not going to be easy for the average person.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 4:20pm
I also continue to use SA for Aspen Chart downloads.  The SA PC Data Manager is still a bit slow, but much better with error checking than it used to be.  Use a USB-Card Reader - many read/write errors using a SD-Card Adapter.

With Lifetime subscription to SA, I also wish they would win the Avidyne Chart contract away from Jepp ($$$).

Using dual 540's and FlyQ on iPad (also use FF), Flight Plans now seamlessly Up and Down load from FlyQ to 540's (I have been Beta testing FlyQ...) and Life is Good again.

Tom W.

p.s. still breath holding for long promised TAS "A" and v10.2.1 upgrades,,,
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 4:50pm
Quite the reverse: a well designed system allows for both automation and simple user interaction. nrproces wrote the app for his convenience, to make it even less painful for his processes. Kudos for that. 

$395 for US West.

AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 11:29pm
I didn't write an app for SA, although perhaps once such was necessary.  Perhaps 3 or 4 months ago, SA added a selectable option for autoupdates if the SD card was in the drive.   The PC I use for download has an SD card slot, so I can keep a card in the drive, and the Data Manager will automagically push it there when the new update is available (assuming I've checked the box).  I get an email telling me a new update is available, and once it becomes valid (by FAA date),  I take it to the airport to swap the cards in the Aspen.

Freff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 4:34pm
Here is another issue with Jepp's renewal...

They are charging me $70.84 in sales tax, and according to what I have found, electronic delivery of computer software, updates, cloud subscriptions, etc are not taxable in the state of Georgia, unless they are also available on physical medium.   Does Jepp offer physical delivery of database updates?

http://www.tagonline.org/files/GovAffairs/Georgia-Letter-Ruling-No-SUT-2014-02-20-01-Computers-and-Software.pdf

"Computer software delivered electronically is not a sale of tangible personal property and therefore is not subject to sales and use tax."
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 11:48am
Wow, great catch!  I wonder what the law on that is in Texas.
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 4:49pm
Obstacles - one time: $50
Obstacles - year: $150

How often are you updating the obstacle database?
rsharp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 7:24pm
I just received this quote via email at the same time I was on the phone with a customer consultant:

·         IFD 550 Bundle: navdata, obstacles, terrain, and MFD charts for Full US and Canada

o   $1,775.50

Onetime updates:

·         Navdata:$205.00

·         Terrain: $230.00

·         Obstacles: $80.00

They must work on commission?

Just got off the phone and they quoted me different prices for single updates:

$160 Navdata

$65 Obstacles

$940 Annual charts.

So which is it?

Not very business savvy.

Regards,
RLSharp
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by rsharp rsharp wrote:

So which is it?

Not very business savvy.

Yup, I feel your pain.  If Obi-Wan Kenobi ever met 'em, he might remark: "Jeppesen business division.  You will never find a more wretched hive of confusion and incompetence."

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 12:14pm
+1
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 4:21am
** Europe **
Dealing with Jepp is like dealing with a cornered rat with a hangover, and you can probably more easily pull teeth with a hand grenade, and with less pain too. However, at the end of it:
IFD540, 440 & 100
"PilotPak Avidyne" - includes four seats, one is used by the IFD100, and I have FD on the same iPad which uses one more. Sim on the iPad does not use a seat, although it looks like it requires the sub, and so far unable to update the PC sim or charts.

Central Europe Navdata & obstacles (and terrain, but they're not making any more of this AFAIK), IFR & VFR charts (for 540 and 100 only) - the VFR chart coverage extends further north than the IFR coverage.
EUR1747 (+VAT if applicable)
Without the VFR charts it would have been EUR1540 (also exc VAT) but I thought I'd try the full monty and then see what to trim out
afassas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 12:39pm
On May 9, 2018 this was my subscription renewal options with Jeppesen:
I have one IFD-540 in my aircraft, also an  Ipad w/ Foreflight and iPad mini w/ IFD-100.

Options were:
A) Navdata (full USA) only for 1 download (no terrain, obstacles or charts, also no mobile device seats) $480
1 mobile device seat (I believe this includes Navdata, Obstacles, Terrain AND Charts) $199
2 mobile device seats $398
So if Navdata ONLY for 1 IFD-540 and 2 mobile devices (Navdata & charts) = $878

B) Avidyne Suite + IFD (full USA) w/ 2 mobile device seats for $940
includes Navdata, Obstacles, Terrain, and Charts for ALL (you need to tell Jeppesen how many devices so they setup the download count properly) Avidyne equipment in your aircraft; this also comes with 2 mobile devices seats with all the Navdata, Obstacles, Terrain, Charts.

C) Avidyne Suite + IFD (full USA) w/ 4 mobile device seats for $1404
same as option B, except with 4 mobile device seats instead of 2.  Also note that the pricing is whacked for the bundle.  Buying option B and adding 2 more device seats would only be $1338.

As for how Mobile Device Seats are used, from my experience.
1 iPad w/ Jepp charts in Foreflight app counts as 1.
2 iPads w/ Jepp charts in Foreflight app counts as 2.
1 iPad w/ IFD-100 app counts as 1.
1 iPad w/ IFD-100 app and IFD Trainer app counts as 1 (the apps share the same Jepp downloads).
1 iPad w/ IFD-100 (and/or IFD Trainer) app AND Jepp charts in Foreflight counts as 2.

I ended up choosing option B, the Avidyne Suite + IFR (full USA).  This is my 1st year with my new Avidyne IFD-540 and I am not yet sure how the IFD-100 and where the Jepp charts will fit into my cockpit flow, so I thought best to have data access everywhere.  1 iPad w/ Jepp charts in Foreflight and 1 iPad mini w/ IFD-100 app and Jepp data.

I discovered the actual way that mobile device seats are counted as used on experience following the Jeppesen renewal.  If you wish to "deactivate" one of your Jeppesen mobile device seats from a device, so that it can be used elsewhere; then you log onto https://my.jeppesen.com and click on "Manage Installs" from the top left.

I also asked the Jeppesen representative about purchasing the Avidyne Suite for IFD-440 (full USA) (w/o charts).  They told me that was not an option, as I had an IFD-540.  I said I wanted it anyway, they said NO.  I did not call back and ask with another representative; I am betting that it is doable, as others have reported.  This is not a Suite, but for 1 IFD-440 and is priced at $299 and device seats at $99 each.  This Navdata and obstacles, w/o charts.  Navdata and obstacles for IFD-440 will also work on IFD-540.  The jury is still out on charts and where to best use them.

Last advice:  Happy flying and don't keep your head down fooling with screens and data so much.

Edited by afassas - 10 Oct 2018 at 1:20pm
Alex Fassas
Avidyne IFD-540
Lynx NGT-9000+
Aspen MAX PFD1000, MFD1000 & MFD500
Beech A36
KRGA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by afassas afassas wrote:

I also asked the Jeppesen representative about purchasing the Avidyne Suite for IFD-440 (full USA) (w/o charts).  They told me that was not an option, as I had an IFD-540.  I said I wanted it anyway, they said NO.  I did not call back and ask with another representative; I am betting that it is doable, as others have reported. 
Another tactic you could try--if you really wanted the 440 bundle and you had trouble finding a rep to accommodate you--would be to tell them that their system has your setup erroneously marked as an IFD540, but you really have a 440.  Then they'd quit bugging you and sell you the bundle you want.  There is no code check or logic in the data to detect whether you have a 440 or 540, so no concern that it will be "blocked" from working.

Edited by MysticCobra - 10 Oct 2018 at 3:21pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 1:49am
If you buy the mobile device subscription through ForeFlight, rather than Jepp, you can download it to two mobile devices, as a normal FF subscription lets you use the data on two devices. A Jepp rep recommended to me to get the mobile subscription for FF directly through FF, not Jepp. 

I don’t find charts on my IFD-540 that useful, I’d rather display normal maps on the 540 and approach charts on FF or other EFB.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

I also asked the Jeppesen representative about purchasing the Avidyne Suite for IFD-440 (full USA) (w/o charts).  They told me that was not an option, as I had an IFD-540.  I said I wanted it anyway, they said NO.  I did not call back and ask with another representative; I am betting that it is doable, as others have reported. 
Another tactic you could try--if you really wanted the 440 bundle and you had trouble finding a rep to accommodate you--would be to tell them that their system has your setup erroneously marked as an IFD540, but you really have a 440.  Then they'd quit bugging you and sell you the bundle you want.  There is no code check or logic in the data to detect whether you have a 440 or 540, so no concern that it will be "blocked" from working.

No need to go through all of that - they are happy to sell you a 440 bundle for a 540 or 550. You can read through my experience on this post:

Edited by LANCE - 11 Oct 2018 at 11:21am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 11:37am
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

No need to go through all of that - they are happy to sell you a 440 bundle for a 540 or 550. You can read through my experience on this post:

Yes, I have done the same.  But did you not read the post I was replying to?  In typical Jepp style, at least one rep has not gotten the memo:

Edited by MysticCobra - 11 Oct 2018 at 11:38am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic