Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Obstacle data download - gone from Avidyne site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Obstacle data download - gone from Avidyne site

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obstacle data download - gone from Avidyne site
    Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:41pm
What is the deal???? I have to go to the lousy Jeppesen web site to get Obstacle data now?? What's up with that???
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:43pm
Oh, and Jeppesen doesn't list Obstacle data as an option for the IFD540 on their web site.

AviSimpson, this is BAD business.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 9:11pm
I'm puzzled with your post. I've never heard of your being able to purchase any of the Jepp data directly through Avidyne.

Jepp's website is never "good" business. Calling Jepp directly, is much more efficient.

* Orest

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:47am

The free obstacle update that we provided to our R9 customers has come to an end after the current one expires. Unfortunately, a recent change to the FAA file name, where this data comes from, has caused an issue with our obstacle data cooker program. Therefore, we cannot access the data and redistribute at no cost to our customers. For obstacle data, please contact Jeppesen http://ww1.jeppesen.com/company/feedback.jsp.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 5:44pm
The experience at Jeppesen is so customer-hostile:
* The emails are unreadable in G-Mail.
* They don't answer the phone.
* The JeppDirect web site doesn't show any information about my current subscription
* You can't add obstacle data to your subscription online.

Please fix your "obstacle data cooker program" ASAP, or give us another data source. Please!?!?

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 10:15pm
I agree their website leaves a lot to be desired, but I've always found theme extremely helpful on the phone with short wait times. You can even choose to have a callback when the next available person becomes available.
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 7:37am
Evidently ForeFlight gets Jepp terrain data gratis for their customers.
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 4:50pm
So how often should you update the obstacle database for Part 91 IFR operations?
jonesronc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesronc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 2:07pm

Just got off the phone with Jeppesen.  The cost for a 1 year Obstacles subscription is $185 ($15.42 a month); a one-time update, valid for 28 days, is $65.    I already pay $480 for Nav data annually (~$40/month).  If I wanted Nav, Obstacles, Charts for the Avidyne IFD540 unit plus 4 iPads, the cost is $1284.50, or  $107 per month.   Double Ouch!!!

Please fix the cooker!

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by jonesronc jonesronc wrote:

Just got off the phone with Jeppesen.  The cost for a 1 year Obstacles subscription is $185 ($15.42 a month); a one-time update, valid for 28 days, is $65.    I already pay $480 for Nav data annually (~$40/month).  If I wanted Nav, Obstacles, Charts for the Avidyne IFD540 unit plus 4 iPads, the cost is $1284.50, or  $107 per month.   Double Ouch!!!

Please fix the cooker!

Obstacles were never available for the IFD540 from Avidyne, only the R9. They have always had to be purchased from Jeppesen.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by MarkZ MarkZ wrote:

Evidently ForeFlight gets Jepp terrain data gratis for their customers.

That's great for ForeFlight, but doesn't help any on the IFD's.

Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by jonesronc jonesronc wrote:

Please fix the cooker!

You guys are soooooo lucky. Us folks in Europe need to pay nearly double the $1284 for the same thing.

Vince
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 7:40am
Maybe ForeFlight data should be pushed to to the IFDs. I'm certainly not a Jeppesen fan.
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:28pm
Actually, this thread started because Avidyne stopped  posting obstacle data. While it may have been for the R9, it worked just fine on the IFD's.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by skitheo skitheo wrote:

Actually, this thread started because Avidyne stopped  posting obstacle data. While it may have been for the R9, it worked just fine on the IFD's.

Let me see if I understand . . . you're upset because Avidyne provided something free for awhile for another product that you don't own that they never promised to provide forever that was never intended for your device . . . Proof that no good deed ever goes unpunished.

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 10:02am
Well Said....
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 9:57pm
Let me see if I understand.  We can't get free terrain because the FAA changed a file name and now Avidyne's "data cooker" program doesn't work?

How about if you let us have access to the "data cooker" source code and we'll figure out something.  If I can write some code that will reduce the cost of my IFD subscription I'm interested (and I'm probably not the only one).
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:41am
Thanks Paul! Yes, I would definitely help with that effort. If not the production code, then the unit and/or functional test suite.

Edit: BTW, it's the obstacle data not the terrain data. Same concept, tho'. However, I know that the code change is not the expensive part. The regulatory overhead to make it a product is.

Edited by skitheo - 23 Sep 2017 at 7:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic