Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

G500 and ADS-B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmozur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G500 and ADS-B
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 6:01pm

I'm just looking at alternatives at the moment for going at least a partial glass cockpit in my Socata TB21 with a KAP-150 autopilot.

I'm looking at Aspen, Garmin G5's, maybe even a Bendix-King KI-300 (if it is ever released).  I'm also thinking of a G500 at the high end.

Is it possible for the IFD540 to transmit MLB-100 FIS-B and TIS-B data to the G500?

Thanks!

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 12:14pm

My experience has been that Garmin screens will only display weather data from a Garmin product.  The Avidyne products do supply traffic and weather data, but Garmin will refuse to display the weather.  Traffic data (via 429) would be displayed using TAS symbology.

mmozur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmozur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:19pm

Thanks, David

It's frustrating...  but, not surprising from what I have heard from others. 

Just reinforces my desire to avoid Garmin when I can...  If Avidyne adds the G5's to the STC , I'd consider going that route, but not happily.

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:12pm
How many screens do you "Need" all the information displayed on?  I use to think that integration was a "must have", but the reality is that if you have traffic and weather on at least one screen, then you are good to go.

I fly a Bonanza with the radio stack off center to the right, and while it would be nice to have traffic and weather on a MFD in front of me, it doesn't really impact my ability to aviate or navigate.

Just my $.02
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic