Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS AGL Altitude Blank?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS AGL Altitude Blank?!?!
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 9:37pm
Is there any reason why one of my IFDs would show the GPS AGL altitude as being blank, yet my other IFD shows a correct number?  The really weird thing is, if I go into the datablock setup page and highlight that datablock, it seems to go back to normal for a minute or two before blanking out again.

Between this datablock being blank, and the decoded NAVAID datablock being blank, I'm not really feeling the datablock love here...

2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 8:45am
I have never seen either be blank, when it shouldn't be. In particular if only one of your units shows this, you may have some sort of hardware fault.

* Orest
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by jimmyz80 jimmyz80 wrote:

Is there any reason why one of my IFDs would show the GPS AGL altitude as being blank, yet my other IFD shows a correct number?  The really weird thing is, if I go into the datablock setup page and highlight that datablock, it seems to go back to normal for a minute or two before blanking out again.

Between this datablock being blank, and the decoded NAVAID datablock being blank, I'm not really feeling the datablock love here...

Did you ever get a GPS CAS message like "Dead Reckoning"? Can you confirm that the 540 has the FLTA option highlighted on the AUX page? 
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 6:20pm
Total guess, but I wonder if it has something to do with available space.  The 540 has the transponder info, which somehow might be squeezing the GPS AGL block such that it can't fit the 5 digits of the altitude?
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Did you ever get a GPS CAS message like "Dead Reckoning"? Can you confirm that the 540 has the FLTA option highlighted on the AUX page? 

No CAS messages at all, other than expected alerts for airspace, tank switching, etc.  I'll check the AUX page when I'm at the plane again on Sunday.  For what it's worth, I've only noticed this post 10.2.  Prior to that it worked perfectly.

I'm wondering if the CPU is overloaded in the unit or something.  I've also noticed that when I change zoom levels on the map page, it'll sometimes take 10-15 seconds to re-draw things.  For example if I zoom in when I'm near a fix that has an altitude restriction of "3000".  The entire map will be filled with a GIANT label of 3000 until it re-draws to normal size in 10-15 seconds.  It's not very confidence inspiring, considering this is my NAV1 unit, which I bet my life on when flying precision approaches.
2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 8:00pm
That is normal when rapidly resizing the map. The labels may be a little large or a little small for a bit until it rewrites.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:18am
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

Total guess, but I wonder if it has something to do with available space.  The 540 has the transponder info, which somehow might be squeezing the GPS AGL block such that it can't fit the 5 digits of the altitude?
Good guess but it would manifest on both units if that was the case. The datablock is the same dimensions (pixel wise) on both.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 10:25am

For what it's worth, I've only noticed this post 10.2.  Prior to that it worked perfectly.
Since we made changes to the options, like FLTA, page it's possible that it is no longer highlight for some reason. It's an easy fix on our end.

I'm wondering if the CPU is overloaded in the unit or something.  I've also noticed that when I change zoom levels on the map page, it'll sometimes take 10-15 seconds to re-draw things.  For example if I zoom in when I'm near a fix that has an altitude restriction of "3000".  The entire map will be filled with a GIANT label of 3000 until it re-draws to normal size in 10-15 seconds.  It's not very confidence inspiring, considering this is my NAV1 unit, which I bet my life on when flying precision approaches.
What ranges are you going from and to when you see this? How far are you panning, if at all, from your current location? What declutter, if any, do you have the map set to? It's inevitable that there is going to be a delay, 15 seconds sounds excessive.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic