Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

flyQ EFB 2.5 supports IFD ADS-B wx/traffic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flyQ EFB 2.5 supports IFD ADS-B wx/traffic
    Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 11:31am
From their blog this morning (https://seattleavionics.wordpress.com/2017/09/19/flyq-efb-2-5-released/), Seattle Avionics now says they're fully supporting all the wireless data streams from the IFD series, including ADS-B weather and traffic and AHRS data.
mmozur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmozur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:12pm

Yup, going to try it out this weekend. 

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 5:27pm
FWIW - I spent 11+ hours testing different beta releases of Seattle Avionics FlyQ efb WiFi connected to my IFD540 in the past few months and reported Avidyne specific interface issues that SA promptly corrected. I have logged 8+ hours flight testing the latest two FlyQ efb betas (each with identical Avidyne IFD interfaces) over the last couple of weeks on my iPad Pro 9.7 running iOS 10.3.3 and can report that the ADSB traffic, ADSB weather, ownship position, ownship track, flight plan uploads to the IFD540, and flight plan downloads from the IFD540 all worked flawlessly.

The latest two betas (the later that became FlyQ efb release version 2.5) were very stable; I have yet to experience a FlyQ efb app crash while WiFi connected to my IFD540 or otherwise with these betas. I cannot vouch for the AHRS display on FlyQ efb as I used an IFD540.

As far as the tested configuration goes, my aircraft has one IFD540 running software version 10.2.0 and a SkyTrax100 / MLB100 running firmware version 4.1.0. The IFD540 ADSB weather (FIS-B) and traffic (TIS-B) are both supplied via the SkyTrax100 over RS232 in/out channels and the IFD540 is supplying ADS-B Out+ GPS data to the SkyTrax100 via an RS232 channel. Lastly, my airplane's IFD540 WiFi was running in the Avidyne default host mode. I believe these conditions match the Avidyne recommended configuration with software version 10.2.0.

There may be some other than Avidyne recommended IFD and/or SkyTrax 100 configurations that don't display in this latest FlyQ efb release. For instance, it's possible that SkyTrax100 traffic supplied to the IFD via ARINC 429 may not display on FlyQ efb version 2.5 because ARINC429 traffic is TIS versus TIS-B (ADSB & ADS-R).

I was very impressed at how much effort Seattle Avionics expended to get the Avidyne IFD interface part of this latest FlyQ efb release correct and think they did an awesome job.

compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 8:05pm
I, too, beta test for SA FlyQ from the very first. They are VERY responsive and are taking a new approach to EFB than that of ForeFlight, having many features that FF lacks. See my other post regarding SA's interest to supply charts, etc. to Avidyne and IFD devices.

FlyQ is a great product that is worth looking into for those not tied to ForeFlight.

As an additional note, SA just released a free-standing ADS-B device fully featured and currently compatible with ForeFlight, something that FF has blocked FlyQ from doing in the past. I like FlyQ because it supports MOST ADS-B receivers EXCEPT Stratus (because Stratus blocks the FlyQ feed after a few minutes). Just two features in FlyQ that are really neat - Current impact of winds aloft on present position with all altitudes noted on one screen making it easy to choose a good altitude; better radar resolution using ADS-B data than identical FF screens at identical times.

SA would be a good choice for Avidyne to use as a second source for nav data because they listen to users and make improvements, all at a reasonable price.
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 3:30pm
I have the iLevil AW2 ADS-B IN connected wirelessly to the FlyQ EFD and get weather and traffic from it. IF I set the Avidyne IFD 540 wireless to remote as a client on the iLevil network, how does FlyQ decide which source to use?
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 8:00am
Beta tester here since the start, they are outstandind in all respects, and they don't ever take you for granted like the "J" guys do.
Sauce
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 8:12am
I always update my Jeppesen subscription at Oshkosh or Sun N Fun. They give me free months on the subscription, a good bundle deal and a nice discount because of my COPA membership. They are fantastic to deal with. I got the discount they were giving at Sun N Fun and the extra three months with the COPA discount.

Edited by LANCE - 24 Sep 2017 at 11:50pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 8:41am
I always update my Jepp subscription at home.  I have had multiple issues with website glitches, sales people who didn't know what they were talking about re: product availability and pricing, and have gotten emails from random Jepp employees I'd never spoken to before telling me they had taken over my account and found that I was over a thousand dollars in arrears and how would I like to pay up?  I had to forward them copies of Jeppesen invoices showing my account paid in full before they'd back off.

They are horrible to work with.
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 7:11pm
Not this year.    No free months.  Discount instead.  

I have two 540s.  Jepp data costs me about $1000/year.  

Ken

94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Cruiser Cruiser wrote:

I have the iLevil AW2 ADS-B IN connected wirelessly to the FlyQ EFD and get weather and traffic from it. IF I set the Avidyne IFD 540 wireless to remote as a client on the iLevil network, how does FlyQ decide which source to use?

I also have an iLevil and have found FlyQ doesn't work with IFD when connected via a remote wifi access point (WAP) such as iLevil.  It works when connected directly to the IFD, but then you don't get the ADS-B in feed from the iLevil.  I have been in touch with Seattle Avionics, and requested that they modify FlyQ so it can connect to IFD through a remote WAP (other efbs currently can do this).  They've put on the list, but it would great if more folks request it to move it up the list. 

David
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic