Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seattle Avionics Alternative to Jeppesen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 10:51am
$1085 is for full USA Coverage. Call and use the item numbers below and they will correct it.

In addition to that, if you are a COPA member (Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association - you don't have to own a Cirrus to be a member) you get 15 months of coverage for the price of 12 months.

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 11:32am
Thank you.
David Gates
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2017 at 12:32pm

Originally posted by AzAv8r AzAv8r wrote:

In the US, *all* approved navigation data (and chart data) comes from the same source:  the FAA. Jepp gets it there, as does Seattle Avionics, as does Foreflight,as does Avare (an open-source and free Android app), as does SkyVector.com .

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/aero_data/

Charts are here:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/

You can submit chart changes here:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/aero_data/Airport_Data_Changes_Public/

so the way I think this works is:

•  SA has to build the approaches in such a way that the FMS can interpret and fly them to be complaint with the publish approaches (leg types),
  •  then SA has to build a loadable database and certify that the process they use is repeatable (DO-200A) 
  • then Avidyne has to actually verify the installed performance in the system (LOA)

So its not just go get the data from the government.  Then all of these artifacts are presented in a report that Avidyne writes to their ACO and we wait, and wait, and wait (sometimes for years) until the unbridled bureaucrats say OK.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 49 minutes ago at 1:11am
I personally would rather see Avidyne put the resources on promised deliverables (some over 4 years old) than something like this that would divert resources from them. Let's see Avidyne deliver on their promises first, and fix bugs in delivered systems.
Vince
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 18 minutes ago at 9:42am
(chflyer)
Any bias? Perhaps like Switzerland and SA doesnt work there, yet?

Edited by nrproces - 11 hours 17 minutes ago at 9:43am
Sauce
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 60 minutes ago at 10:00am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

I personally would rather see Avidyne put the resources on promised deliverables (some over 4 years old) than something like this that would divert resources from them. Let's see Avidyne deliver on their promises first, and fix bugs in delivered systems.

I agree 100% - and I'm in the U. S.
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 27 minutes ago at 11:33am

It would be very nice to get an update of the progress of 10.2.1; weeks, months, years or ??

The silence is scary!

Klaus
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 14 minutes ago at 11:46am
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

I agree 100% - and I'm in the U. S.

+1
David E.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 47 minutes ago at 1:13pm
Originally posted by KIM KIM wrote:

It would be very nice to get an update of the progress of 10.2.1; weeks, months, years or ??

The silence is scary!

I don't find the silence scary at all.  It's normal.  Every avionics company is ALWAYS working on a next software release, the difference here is that Avidyne gives us a peek behind the curtain to see what might be coming.

Giving a progress update on any certification project is really hard, because the process is open-ended.  The applicant submits a data package to the FAA and then the FAA (nominally) has 60~90 days to review the submitted data.  But the review doesn't automatically end in approval.  The FAA could reject the package, or the FAA can ask the applicant a question about it.  (The "question" is usually as request for additional data or substantiation.)  When the applicant answers the question or provides the requested data, a new 60~90 day clock starts at the FAA.  That can end in the same three ways as above.

In the words of Robert Heinlein, "Waiting is."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic