Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Compatability with the new TXI PFD/MFD suite .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compatability with the new TXI PFD/MFD suite .
    Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 5:29pm
There is going to be a lot of interest in the new Garmin 500, 600, and 700 TXI display systems announced just now by Garmin.

I am certain there are going to be a lot of requests for making our IFDs compatible with these.

Just a heads up.  Don't have all the information yet.

ADDITION:  G* says won't be under their STC.

Edited by ddgates - 03 Oct 2017 at 5:39pm
David Gates
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 8:43pm
The just announced Garmin TXi's are verrrry expensive and not plug compatible with the G500/600. I'm therefore skeptical about their future popularity. If Dynon can get their system approved, then you will see what "popularity" means!

Edited by DH82FLYER - 03 Oct 2017 at 9:01pm
Stiletto1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiletto1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 5:04am
Starting at $12k for a seven inch display that won't play well with others?  I don't think it will find a place in most singles and light twins, but if you happen to have a G500/600 already they will give you a couple grand trade in allowance for it LOL! - basically a non-starter for most, I think.
C310C
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 6:40am
I really wish we had a PFD4000 option from Avidyne.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 9:29am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

I really wish we had a PFD4000 option from Avidyne.

Absolutely.  

After listening to the webinar yesterday, I'm going to keep my Aspens until a better but affordable display, compatible with my IFDs, is available.

If I were Aspen, I would port their existing PFD and MFD to a somewhat larger display; shouldn't take much development and would keep them in the game.

I really didn't hear much in the way of function that I don't already have, except touch, which isn't enough of a driver to rip out the equipment I already have.

Let me, though, put in another lament about interoperability.  We consumers should have required that from the start.

Edited by ddgates - 04 Oct 2017 at 9:30am
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 10:47am
Garmin errantly (in my view) removed most of the bezel buttons, and added their awkward MENU key driven interface -- and they took it one step worse, the dreaded MENU key itself is now a touchscreen item!

They also really missed a niche by making the 7" not fit between the six pack instruments.

Announcement is a big yawn to me.

I will still be dreaming of an R9-like PFD4000.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Oct 2017 at 10:48am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Garmin errantly (in my view) removed most of the bezel buttons, and added their awkward MENU key driven interface -- and they took it one step worse, the dreaded MENU key itself is now a touchscreen item!

They also really missed a niche by making the 7" not fit between the six pack instruments.

* Orest

+1
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

* Orest

+1

Actually, R9 is so yesterday.  Picture a single screen with the ability to split horizontally or vertically, real buttons on the bottom, dedicated knobs on the sides for Baro, Course, VS, alt, air speed, proper line select keys for options and  when in split mode, a full IFD540 interface, Full jepp charts, touch screen.

Ooooh, I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it...

EDIT:  Oh yea, built in ADAHARS, basic GPS for failure of an IFD navigator.  Available in 8" and 10" sizes.

Edited by Gring - 04 Oct 2017 at 1:10pm
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 1:21pm
I kinda wish JPI would think about getting into the game. Their 930 is the absolute best looking piece of equipment in my airplane.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 4:25pm
Sorry.  JPI looks like top-notch 1990s design to me.
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 3:49pm

Actually, R9 is so yesterday.  Picture a single screen with the ability to split horizontally or vertically, real buttons on the bottom, dedicated knobs on the sides for Baro, Course, VS, alt, air speed, proper line select keys for options and  when in split mode, a full IFD540 interface, Full jepp charts, touch screen.

Ooooh, I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it...

EDIT:  Oh yea, built in ADAHARS, basic GPS for failure of an IFD navigator.  Available in 8" and 10" sizes.

Gee, sounds a lot like Dynon Skyview HDX to me! I've been very glad to see that all of the Dynon Certified promo materials include an IFD in the panel! My dream panel right now would be the HDX 10" + 8" with dual ADAHRS, A/P, Engine monitor box, ARINC interface for IFD and NGT, and maybe the AOA pitot. Clean, complete, redundant.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 4:24pm
Yes, sort of.  Dynon Skyview HDX is a complete system that only works with itself (GPS Navigator aside).  It cannot currently drive a King, Century, STEC, or DFC90 autopilot
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 7:54pm
The HDX has its own pitch and roll servos. We installed it in our Eagle’s Nest RV-12. The unit is quite functional however I’d give the graphics a B- at best.
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2017 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by MarkZ MarkZ wrote:

The HDX has its own pitch and roll servos. We installed it in our Eagle’s Nest RV-12. The unit is quite functional however I’d give the graphics a B- at best.

Which display(s) do you have? Which graphics are sub-par?
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 7:59am
We put in a single panel HDX in our 12 with a Garmin Radio/intercom and Trig transponder. It’s fully ADSB in/out compliant. Don’t get me wrong, this is a great and capable package for a bargain price. But when you spent your life looking at jet cockpits it’s just “different”. I’ve a friend who has a VFR vintage Bonanza who is chomping at the bit to install the HDX and I’m all for it. The hardware is certainly there and improvements will come as the panel matures. I’ve yet to fly it but should soon and could report. We are now well into our second build project at our local high school.
kdwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:59am
If someone was planning on a G600 install, it’s actually quite cost effective.   You get a lot more than the 10+ year old G500/600. If you weren’t then it simply doesn’t matter.

That’s my situation and I held off on the legacy G600 since Garmin had to be in a next gen mode. Not even thinking of holding my breath for Dynon .. they have just 2 a/c in their STC ... at that rate they’ll address the remaining 400 a/c by 2117.

I just refreshed all of my a/c with IFD 440/540/550 so would obviously like to see Avidyne address the STC from their end.

Edited by kdwalker - 08 Oct 2017 at 3:41pm
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:45pm

Yes, sort of.  Dynon Skyview HDX is a complete system that only works with itself (GPS Navigator aside).  It cannot currently drive a King, Century, STEC, or DFC90 autopilot

The only A/P I would want from that list is the DFC90. The rest are archaic, and I'd rather have the Dynon.
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 12:12pm
I am happy with my single Aspen replacing HSI and AI. There is one thing I want Aspen to work on: Compatibility with attitude baed legacy autopilots. IF they do that, they have a killer application. Also, there are lots of things I want Avidyne to work on before the PFD. Among it, tighter integration with the Aspen unit, which was kind of promised. And I rather have servos and a big AML for the Avidyne autopilot than a PFD.... And continue the work with Seattle Avionics, the FlyQ integration is a good start. Oh, and the TWX670 would be nice to see in color, for which I spent big bucks. And my MLX770, still waiting to be able to use it as a phone too.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by TurboPA30 TurboPA30 wrote:

I am happy with my single Aspen replacing HSI and AI. There is one thing I want Aspen to work on: Compatibility with attitude baed legacy autopilots. IF they do that, they have a killer application. Also, there are lots of things I want Avidyne to work on before the PFD. Among it, tighter integration with the Aspen unit, which was kind of promised. And I rather have servos and a big AML for the Avidyne autopilot than a PFD.... And continue the work with Seattle Avionics, the FlyQ integration is a good start. Oh, and the TWX670 would be nice to see in color, for which I spent big bucks. And my MLX770, still waiting to be able to use it as a phone too.

You just about nailed my wish list, except add in there completion of the TAS-6XX-A promise.
David Gates
harpo80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harpo80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:26am
Bump.

I am a happy user and early adopter of a 540.  I need a new autopilot in my Baron 58, plus a display.

I like the TXi plus GFC600 autopilot.  

Any movement on the TXi and 540 playing together?

Thanks,
Jack

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic