Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MITRE App integration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MITRE App integration
    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:10am
It may not be ready yet, but I'd love to see flight plan integration between the MITRE app and the IFDs.  The app seems like a great idea and hope it becomes available soon.

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:50am
Interesting. We have some friends at MITRE that might be able to tell us more.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 5:24pm
The app looks trivial.  The interesting part is the air controller and server technology.

If the protocol is public then an app like Foreflight could implement it too.  Imagine being able to file in Foreflight, get the clearance, and upload it to the IFD.  This would be wonderful, especially for IFR from non-towered airports.

The only thing missing is the ability to get amended clearances while in the air.  That can't be done through cell phones, unfortunately.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 7:46pm

Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

The app looks trivial.  The interesting part is the air controller and server technology.

If the protocol is public then an app like Foreflight could implement it too.

Exactly, I hope their app is just a proof of concept and that they'll provide the capability for developers to incorporate the capability into their EFDs.

Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

The only thing missing is the ability to get amended clearances while in the air.  That can't be done through cell phones, unfortunately.

I was wondering the same thing.  I wonder if they could use ADS-B somehow to datalink updates.  It would be one way only so you'd have to request over the air, but they could respond via datalink.  The EFB could verify the update was specific to you if the update included something to tied to aircraft specific info in your ADS-B out transmission.
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:02pm
Let's worry about the amended clearances later.   This is interesting, but unless the app delivers a standardized payload (a CRAFT packet with defined format, such that it can be reliably parsed), it has no bearing on the IFD.

We'd need a protocol that delivers a message that, independent of how the app formats it for presentation to the pilot, it can be imported into the IFD (via WiFi or Bluetooth), accepted by the pilot, and then entered into a flight plan.

How do we ensure that outcome?  Screen-scraping (where the app has to, through local logic, infer the content intent) would seem to be a non-starter for an Aviation environment. 

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:17pm
The link above says "could include flight plan loading" and shows a GNS 430. I'm not suggesting Avidyne look for a way to hack the app, I'm hoping MITRE follows through with the flight plan loading which would likely be some sort of protocol that Avidyne could incorporate.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:11am
This is just a technology demonstration for now, not a fielded app, and I don't know if the FAA has any plans to field it in the near term. As full as their plates are, I doubt it. Don't give up your paper CRAFT template just yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic