Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bluetooth keyboard charger cable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bluetooth keyboard charger cable
    Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 10:49pm
anyone try to charge a Stratus while using the cable that charges the bluetooth keyboard?  I can plug my cable into the USB charger in the plane and it works fine but if I use the cable that charges the keyboard the charge light flashes red on the Stratus.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 8:49am
Flashing red on the Stratus means inadequate amperage.

If you want to charge two devices simultaneously, you need to get a better quality dual 2.4A usb charger, like the Anker units. About $10 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerDrive-Charger-Bluetooth-Headsets/dp/B00VH84L5E/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1515592103&sr=8-9&keywords=anker+samsung+charger

You can also use one of their power packs.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Jan 2018 at 9:02am
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:16pm
It could be that the cable conductors are not big enough to carry the current the Stratux needs to operate. The Stratux is a big power hog. It uses more power than an iPad and is very sensitive to any voltage drop caused by the slightly higher resistance of the skinnier cables.
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 8:43pm
I think that is what is going on.  You have to have a good quality wire and some amps to get it to charge.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 9:30pm
It is very unlikely that the cable is much of the issue. Any USB A/micro power cord will carry at least 2A without trouble.

Clearly the USB unit can supply the Stratus, but not both simultaneously.

If it is a plug in charger, $10 upgrade to the Anker, and problem is solved.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Jan 2018 at 9:32pm
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:52am
No-  it won't charge (blinks red) whether the keyboard is plugged in or not. I have one of the hi-amp usb chargers installed in the plane.  Also I feel some heat where the connectors plug into the charger wire going to the Stratus.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:10am
Originally posted by psimpson psimpson wrote:

No-  it won't charge (blinks red) whether the keyboard is plugged in or not. 

So just plugging an unconnected second cable into the USB charger, causes the Stratus to blink red, but it charges fine when only it is plugged in? That is really odd. 

Perhaps the charger downrates one or both receptacles if it detects two USB A plugs?

Did you try swapping which USB slot the Stratus is plugged into?

Are you using the USB C charging cord that came with the Stratus? This is the Stratus2s?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Jan 2018 at 9:17am
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:26am
Make sure it's not the cord receptacle on the Stratus - those are notorious for bad connections and failing. (I use my Garmin GDL39 3D over Bluetooth for Foreflight and I like it much better than the Stratus.)
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 3:44pm
Just to make sure I understand., you are plugging in just the Stratus. If you use the Stratus cable, the unit works, but if you use the keyboard cable, the Stratus doesn’t work. If so, it is likely the cable causing too much of a voltage drop. The keyboard cable is fairly thin.
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:08pm
Yes I think the keyboard cable is to thin.  I'm not using the black cable that came with the Stratus but it's a fairly expensive one and works fine unless the Avidyne charger cable is plugged in first.  Anyone else having this happen?
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 1:48pm
My Stratus 2 had some weird charging issues.  I opened it up and found one or two bad solder joints on the circuit board where the micro USB socket was attached.  I think I fixed it but haven't gone flying with it yet.  If the charging status changes when you wiggle the cable near the charging port, I reckon you have the same problem.
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 7:23am
I've had my Stratus already fixed due to this issue.  It has to be a good quality charger wire or as you say it won't charge right.

However this isn't my problem, the Stratus will never charge if I have the keyboard charging wire plugged in  first.  It only blinks red.  I have an app on my phone that detects milliamps from the charger, I will compare how it charges with and without the keyboard charging wire on my next flight and report my findings
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 9:15pm
According to an app on my Droid it charges about half (600ma vs 1200) as much when going thru the Avidyne wire first.  Just as I suspected, the wire is soaking up some of the current.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:15pm

According to an app on my Droid it charges about half (600ma vs 1200) as much when going thru the Avidyne wire first.  Just as I suspected, the wire is soaking up some of the current.

Do you have a spliter of some sort on the end of USB A / mini cable, and then daisy chaining the Stratus cable on that? That would be a really unusual setup. Why, and how, would you connect the Stratus USB A to USB C wire to the USB A/mini wire that goes to the keyboard?

The way I read your posting is that you had both USB A plugs (the mini connecting the keyboard, and the USB C attaching to the Stratus), both running back to the two outlet USB cigarette plug adapter, and it was not making any sense.

* Orest

psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:43am
Yes- that is the charger wire that came with my keyboard. It has the USB mini and a USB female so you can plug another usb cable into that.  What did yours come with?
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 11:20am
I know for certain that the selection of USB charging wire makes a difference. I use an Anker Powerport 4 with Power IQ. It automatically senses what the plugged in device can accept and gives it the proper amperage flow for charging, lighting a light when it is in its fastest charge mode. I know that the cable used can prevent the light from lighting when charging my Android phone or my iPad. Therefore, I use Anker 6-foot cables and Anker dual-port adapters (high amperage on both ports) in the various airplanes I fly - always works, always charges fast (particularly an iPad running Foreflight), and never creates noise on the aircraft's audio.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 11:31am

Yes- that is the charger wire that came with my keyboard. It has the USB mini and a USB female so you can plug another usb cable into that.  What did yours come with?

Ah, OK, that all makes sense now.

I don't use that cable, not sure I even got one. I just use a spare USB mini that I carry in my flightbag.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic