Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Newbie convert from dual GNS430's - Crossfill ?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie convert from dual GNS430's - Crossfill ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donmtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie convert from dual GNS430's - Crossfill ?
    Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:03pm
Hi -

Just picked up my 2005 SR22 G2 with 550 and 440 upgrade. So far I'm thrilled AND I'm in the steep part of the learning curve! Here's an easy one for one of you veterans out there...

Reading the manual, I realize that there are lots of benefits to "CrossSync'ing" the units. However, what's the best/correct way to accomplish the following: I want to enter a full flight plan in the 550 (#1) and just "direct to" the destination in #2? (I liked to do this with my 430's for situational awareness.)

Bonus question...Thanks to my CSIP, I would configure GNS #1 for primary nav, and out of habit, set #2 to the "traffic page". The 550 gives me so much - including traffic - that I wonder what's the best way to configure the 440 by default?

Thanks!
Don
Don McInnes - N537CD
2005 Cirrus SR22 G2 - IFD550, 440, DFC90
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:28pm
Just use the direct to destination (as the crow flies) data block, you can place it where you like. It will give you distance and bearing to your destination, I really like it.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Mar 2018 at 11:29pm
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:42pm
You can also add the "Designated Waypoint" datablock, which will let you type in any VOR, GPS Fix, etc., and it'll show you the radial, distance, etc.  Great for ad-hoc measuring and flight plan change estimations.

The big limitation of the full-time cross sync though, is that it makes a dual-pointer HSI much less useful.  In my Cirrus with the 430s you could have the course pointer / CDI set for your leg on NAV1, and the bearing pointer set to "direct to destination" on NAV2.  Can't do that with the new IFD stack.
2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
donmtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donmtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:47pm
You actually stated what was going on in my head...The "dual pointer HSI" is what I'm realizing that I'm missing.

So should I just turn off cross synch?

Thank you!

Don
Don McInnes - N537CD
2005 Cirrus SR22 G2 - IFD550, 440, DFC90
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:54pm
Personally I feel that the additional functionality of cross sync outweighs the loss of flying with two independent pointers.  The second pointer was helpful, but never really gave me much information that I couldn't derive from a quick glance at the moving map.  And the datablocks can give you much of the same information as well (just not overlaid on your HSI obviously).
2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic