Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting the JPI EDM-700 fuel flow to IFD440

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting the JPI EDM-700 fuel flow to IFD440
    Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 4:30pm
Help! Does anyone out there have an Avidyne IFD440 receiving fuel flow information from your JPI EDM-700 or EDM-800 and has figured out how to get them to talk to each other? I'm surprised there's nothing out there on this online. In fact, Avidyne specifically has said online they don't want to offer specific advice.

I’ve swapped my Garmin 430W for the Avidyne IFD440 in and it’s not working with fuel data.

Here's a link that is supposed to be helpful on the specific settings:
https://www.jpinstruments.com/technical-support/gps-interface-connections/ 

The EDM-700 has several options for data format to push out and receive, the pertinent ones are the GPS-C setting of 1, 6, and 7. From my avionics installation forward it was set to 1. Mine is now set to 7 because the settings 1 and 6 result in the “fuel remaining” information telling you fuel left at the next waypoint. I don’t know about you but I care more about fuel remaining at the destination than an intermediate fix!

Well my Garmin 430W, before exchanging for the IFD440, was set for Channel 3 (fuel flow in my install) RS232 setting INPUT format “Shadin-adc” and OUTPUT format to “Off”. I was going to transfer that to my IFD440 but the only four options for INPUT there with the word “Shadin” in the description are Shadin-adc, Shadin-alt, Shadin-fadc, and Shadin-Fuel. I selected Shadin-adc randomly and things didn’t work. I researched further at the link above and found that I should set it to “Shadin-fadc” for INPUT and “Aviation” for OUTPUT on the IFD440 when using the GPS-C setting "7" as I do. This time the IFD440 presents a box requesting current fuel on power-up. That shouldn’t be necessary, the EDM-700 I believe delivers fuel on board, flow rate, etc. I tried Shadin-alt and Shadin-fuel and still no good.

According to the data at hand the Shadin-fadc should be working!

Any other ideas? I could try different EDM-700 formats like “Allied Signal” etc and try to find a corresponding setting on the IFD440 that looks similar. I could also try setting the GPS-C to 1 or 6, but I was hoping someone else has already sorted this out.

I sent an email to tech support at Avidyne but it’s the weekend, and it’s tough to find the time to call during a workday, though I will if necessary.

It's conceivable that the fuel flow to GPS wiring is incorrect, if nothing can be made to work.

Mitch
Mooney M20J Aspen EFD1000 Pro IFD440
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 6:15pm
I have a JPI FS-450 connected to my IFD-540.  I will be happy to check the settings.  I'm not sure if the the EDM-700 w/FF would have all the same options, but the info might help.  I'll head to the hangar and check the settings and post back in a few minutes.

***OKAY***

Settings on JPI FS-450:

GPS C = 1

Settings on Avidyne IFD-540:

Input Shadin-fuel
Output Aviation

Edited by pburger - 24 Jun 2018 at 6:46pm
mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:49pm
Thanks! I will give it a try... I might have to select GPS-C then.

Or there's a missing hardware connection.

Does yours indicate fuel remaining and reserve at destination or next waypoint?

Mitch
mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 9:10pm
I may have been stupid here, the issue is probably with the EDM-700 OUTPUT, not the INPUT.

My EDM700 accurately displayed fuel reserve at destination so it was receiving information from the GPS just fine. I never noticed on my 430W if it was using the data output from the EDM700.

I bet when I fly tomorrow I will see that the EDM700 is still displaying fuel status based on GPS destination just fine. I bet my installer way back when I put my 430W in failed to connect the Data OUTPUT from the EDM700 to the 430W and of course that's still the situation with the IFD440.

Mitch
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 4:40am
Have an EDM800 connected to the 440, all works with the caveat that it seems the OAT (I have that option on the EDM) comes from that, rather than either the A429 feed that goes via a TAS605, or the direct RS232 Shadin ADC feed, both of which originate from an Aspen EFD

On the IFD, setting is Input:Shadin-fadc and Output:Aviation
EDM: GPC-C=7 (6 should work too, my understanding is the difference will be on the EDM display, where REM, REQ and RES will be at the next waypoint with 6, and at destination with 7)
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:06am
I have an EDM700 connected to the IFD-540 and all works as expected. It displays fuel flow, fuel to destination or waypoint, etc.

Next time I fly, I will check the settings...

Rolfe

mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:38am
Your understanding is correct, the 7 gives fuel at destination rather than next waypoint.

The OAT can go from the Aspen (I have an Aspen EFD1000) to the IFD440?

I'm really thinking it's a lack of the data line from the EDM-700 output to the IFD440. I never paid any attention to the fuel flow and fuel on board display on the Garmin 430W so for all I know it was never installed or done incorrectly. I'm sensing a need to get the avionics technician in, I'm going to put up a different post on that subject - the post installation for the avionics tech.

As an aside - why would anyone want to have the EDM-700 display fuel reserve at the next waypoint as opposed to the destination which presumably is where you'll land where there is more fuel to get?

Mitch  

Originally posted by Awful Charlie Awful Charlie wrote:

Have an EDM800 connected to the 440, all works with the caveat that it seems the OAT (I have that option on the EDM) comes from that, rather than either the A429 feed that goes via a TAS605, or the direct RS232 Shadin ADC feed, both of which originate from an Aspen EFD

On the IFD, setting is Input:Shadin-fadc and Output:Aviation
EDM: GPC-C=7 (6 should work too, my understanding is the difference will be on the EDM display, where REM, REQ and RES will be at the next waypoint with 6, and at destination with 7)
mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 8:47pm
OK I can confirm that the GPS-C 7 setting on the EDM-700 plus the Shadin-fadc setting on the IFD440 works fine, the EDM-700 receives distance and groundspeed just fine. My mistake, I was fixating the wrong side of the I/O.

My IFD still does not know fuel on board etc. so I am almost certain it just needs a single wire to supply the EDM-700 to IFD440 data.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 11:29am
mvgrossman:

You say that you can confirm that the GPS-C 7 setting and the Shadin-fadc settings are working fine, but you are not getting fuel data on your IFD.  Those settings have NOTHING TO DO with the data coming TO your EDM-700.  The only setting affecting the data to your EDM-700 is the Output setting on the IFD, which should be set to "Aviation.  So, you really can't confirm your GPS C=7 and Shadin-fadc settings at this point.

Although I have a JPI FS-450, I think the settings are probably the same or at least similar.  I, too, wanted fuel to destination, so I tried the GPS C = 7, but could not get it to talk to the IFD.  In the end, I had to set GPS C =1, and the Input setting on the IFD to Shadin-fuel, not Shadin-fadc.  Those settings worked for me.

I plan to go try the GPS C=7 setting again, just to see if I can get it to talk, but I remember fussing with it for quite some time, and finally giving up, falling back to the GPS C =1.  
mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 11:41am
I agree completely, I stupidly was fiddling with the EDM's INPUT format trying to get the data to appear on the IDF. I've confirmed that the INPUT to the EDM is working just fine with GPS-C=7 and Shadin-fadc. This is the more important side of the system.

But I am greedy,I would like the fuel remaining at waypoint to show on the IFD440 as well as the fuel ring so I have no doubt that it's just a missing connection that was not put in when I got my 430W.

Mitch

Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

mvgrossman:

You say that you can confirm that the GPS-C 7 setting and the Shadin-fadc settings are working fine, but you are not getting fuel data on your IFD.  Those settings have NOTHING TO DO with the data coming TO your EDM-700.  The only setting affecting the data to your EDM-700 is the Output setting on the IFD, which should be set to "Aviation.  So, you really can't confirm your GPS C=7 and Shadin-fadc settings at this point.

Although I have a JPI FS-450, I think the settings are probably the same or at least similar.  I, too, wanted fuel to destination, so I tried the GPS C = 7, but could not get it to talk to the IFD.  In the end, I had to set GPS C =1, and the Input setting on the IFD to Shadin-fuel, not Shadin-fadc.  Those settings worked for me.

I plan to go try the GPS C=7 setting again, just to see if I can get it to talk, but I remember fussing with it for quite some time, and finally giving up, falling back to the GPS C =1.  
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by mvgossman mvgossman wrote:

I've confirmed that the INPUT to the EDM is working just fine with GPS-C=7 and Shadin-fadc. This is the more important side of the system.

When you say the INPUT to the EDM is working just fine with the GPS C = 7 and Shadin-fadc - that doesn't make any sense. 

I'm pretty sure the GPS C =7 has nothing to do with the input to the EDM.  That has to do with the OUTPUT of the EDM to the INPUT of the IFD.  The "Shadin-fadc" setting likewise has nothing to do with the input to the EDM.  That has to do with the INPUT to the IFD (which comes FROM the OUTPUT of the EDM).  
mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 3:29pm
Sorry...

The INPUT to the 430W or IFD440 GPS is so the IFD440 knows the fuel on board and consumption rate in order to determine the range and fuel remaining display on the GPS. For some reason the data format differs depending on how you set the GPS-C value. That GPS-C value determines whether the fuel reserve is reported as at the next waypoint or the  destination.

The OUTPUT from the 430W delivers the distance to the next waypoint and destination  and the EDM-700 calculates the fuel reserve at one of those two depending on your GPS-C setting.

I don't for the life of me understand why the data format changes, I haven't gotten into the weeds that deep.

So in my particular installation I have to assume that my output from the EDM/Input to the IFD440 is faulty or was never put in.

I'll ask JPI why the format changes, if it's interesting I'll post the response.

Mitch

I've confirmed that the INPUT to the EDM is working just fine with GPS-C=7 and Shadin-fadc. This is the more important side of the system.

When you say the INPUT to the EDM is working just fine with the GPS C = 7 and Shadin-fadc - that doesn't make any sense. 

I'm pretty sure the GPS C =7 has nothing to do with the input to the EDM.  That has to do with the OUTPUT of the EDM to the INPUT of the IFD.  The "Shadin-fadc" setting likewise has nothing to do with the input to the EDM.  That has to do with the INPUT to the IFD (which comes FROM the OUTPUT of the EDM).  
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 2:09pm
mvgrossman,

I hope you got your hardware issues straightened out.

I'm glad you brought this subject up.  When my IFD-540 was originally put in, we couldn't get the JPI FS-450 to talk with any settings other than GPS C =1 (on the JPI), and Shadin-Fuel (on the IFD).  This gave fuel required to the next waypoint, which seems silly to me.  I wanted fuel to destination.

I was aware of the GPS C settings of 6 and 7 for either waypoint or destination, but never could get it to talk with those settings.

Well, I tried again with GPS C=7 and Shadin-FADC on the IFD for the input.  Voila!  It works.  I need to confirm that it is calculating fuel required to the destination the next time I fly, but I've got to assume it is.

I think originally we must've been using "Shadin-fuel" as the input setting on the IFD which won't work with GPS C settings of 6 or 7.  Changing that to Shadin-fadc did the trick.

mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 2:28pm
I'll find out very soon, I had my plane in the avionics shop to look at the issue I have where the IFD440 doesn't have the fuel data coming FROM my EDM700.

The GPS-C=7 setting along with Shadin-FADC has worked all along for me (I was an idiot thinking this had something to do with the IFD440 not having access to the EDM700 data to display fuel remaining at waypoints, the fuel range circle on the map).

I assumed there was a missing data line to account for this since the 430W that was there may not have ever had fuel info going to it because I always referred to the EDM700 for fuel status. It was the fuel range circle that got my attention to this issue more than anything, a neat feature.

So my avionics tech claims he produced a setting that made it work. I will report on that, I am skeptical as can be.

Mitch

mvgrossman,

I'm glad you brought this subject up.  When my IFD-540 was originally put in, we couldn't get the JPI FS-450 to talk with any settings other than GPS C =1 (on the JPI), and Shadin-Fuel (on the IFD).  This gave fuel required to the next waypoint, which seems silly to me.  I wanted fuel to destination.

I was aware of the GPS C settings of 6 and 7 for either waypoint or destination, but never could get it to talk with those settings.

Well, I tried again with GPS C=7 and Shadin-FADC on the IFD for the input.  Voila!  It works.  I need to confirm that it is calculating fuel required to the destination the next time I fly, but I've got to assume it is.

I think originally we must've been using "Shadin-fuel" as the input setting on the IFD which won't work with GPS C settings of 6 or 7.  Changing that to Shadin-fadc did the trick.

mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 2:29pm
And I totally agree with you, who cares about fuel remaining at intersection ABCDE? They don't sell fuel there.

Mitch

mvgrossman,

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 7:09am

And I totally agree with you, who cares about fuel remaining at intersection ABCDE? They don't sell fuel there.
Well, I care, for one.  

If actual flight conditions are different than what I used for planning, and the IFD is now showing me that I'm going to be too low for comfort at my destination, then the additional information of how much fuel I'll have at ABCDE (and all the other waypoints in my plan) becomes helpful in determining options for an additional fuel stop.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:11am
Same, especially because when I am going XC often times the "next waypoint" is the IAF and I'd kinda like to know how much FOB I'll have when I get there.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:34am
MysticCobra/paulr,

Of course knowing your fuel remaining at all points along the route is useful information.  The issue being discussed here is what the JPI fuel totalizer will calculate and show ON THE FUEL TOTALIZER (EDM-700 or in my case FS-450).  There is a choice, either "next waypoint", or "destination".  When looking at my fuel totalizer, I'd prefer to know whether or not I have enough fuel to get to my destination versus whether I will make it to the next waypoint 5 nm away.  That is the issue.

The IFD is another story entirely.  As long as you have a fuel totalizer connected, you have all kinds of information available.  The waypoint datablocks show estimated fuel remaining when you reach that waypoint.  The fuel planner calculator is also a great tool.  The fuel range rings are great, too.

Edited by pburger - 16 Jul 2018 at 10:35am
mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:16am
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Well, I care, for one.  

If actual flight conditions are different than what I used for planning, and the IFD is now showing me that I'm going to be too low for comfort at my destination, then the additional information of how much fuel I'll have at ABCDE (and all the other waypoints in my plan) becomes helpful in determining options for an additional fuel stop.

The EDM700 only displays the fuel reserve at the destination or the next waypoint, not both.

I'm not sure if the IFD440 will display fuel remaining at intermediate waypoints - yes that would be a cool feature since sometimes intermediate waypoints are airports or VORs on the field. Hopefully that will appear when I get this fixed. And the fuel range circle will be nice.

Mitch
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 1:11pm
The IFD will display estimated fuel remaining at the next waypoint if you have that datablock displayed.

And in the flightplan display, it will not only show ETA at each waypoint, but how much fuel remaining at each waypoint.  It really is awesome!

Edited by pburger - 16 Jul 2018 at 1:14pm
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 8:05am

The issue being discussed here is what the JPI fuel totalizer will calculate and show ON THE FUEL TOTALIZER (EDM-700 or in my case FS-450).
Ah, yes, I missed that bit.  Sorry.
mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:31am
Hey that is great! I definitely have the same settings with GPS-C=7, Shadin-FADC. My avionics tech checked things out, fiddled with settings despite my warnings that they should be correct so I suspect a missing data line, they said they thing they got it, but I flew today and no it is not correct.

I'm telling them to go back and check that data line.

Mitch

Mitch

mvgrossman,

mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:54am
My avionics tech told me today that they confirmed the data line is attached between the EDM700 output and the IFD440 input. In fact, he has a couple times seen the fuel data display on the IFD440 so the data line has to be there. Maybe the data line is flawed, the contacts dirty, or there's some noise issue?

Any other ideas?

pburger - do you turn on the avionics stack saving the IFD440 for last? I wonder if the IFD440 maybe freaks out if the EDM700 isn't on first? I have an avionics master switch, everything turns on at the same time.

Mitch
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 10:27am

pburger - do you turn on the avionics stack saving the IFD440 for last? I wonder if the IFD440 maybe freaks out if the EDM700 isn't on first? I have an avionics master switch, everything turns on at the same time.

Mitch

This reminds me of something. When I first got our IFD540 installed, it wouldn't show fuel data from the CGR30P. The IFD is on the avionics power bus, but the CGR30 isn't, so it would always power on first. To make a long and boring troubleshooting story short, swapping from COM2 to COM3 on the CGR fixed the problem, which was caused by a timing issue: the CGR would try to handshake when it booted (at master on) but the IFD was still off; when the IFD awoke, it didn't see any data. Until we fixed the wiring, the workaround was to switch the CGR from COM2 to COM3 and then back to COM2 while the IFD was powered up.

Maybe there's something similar at work here? I know there have been a couple of fixes to the IFDs to add logging for the serial ports so perhaps checking those logs will tell you something useful.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:11pm
I have an EDM-700 w/fuel flow connected to an IFD540. I have not had any issues between the two devices since they were installed two and a half years ago. My airplane's EDM-700 is on the main electrical bus whereas the IFD540 is on the avionics bus controlled by an avionics master switch.

With this setup, the EDM-700 is always powered up prior to powering up the IFD540.

As I recall, there are only two RS232 connections between the two devices:

1) The IFD540 outputs the Aviation format GPS data to the EDM-700 via a RS232 output channel (I have GPS- C=7 set on the EDM-700).

2) The IFD540 inputs Shadin-fuel format data from the EDM-700 via a RS232 input channel.

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:14pm
It might be a ground issue.  Those data lines need a common reference.  It's usually the aircraft ground, so a lot of folks just tie the TX or RX lines and don't worry about the ground.  You might make sure and tie the data common together or to the aircraft ground.

I can't remember, but I'm 90% sure that the FS-450 is on the avionics bus along with my IFD-540, so they'll come on at the same time.  In fact, the IFD takes longer to boot, so the FS-450 is up and running first.  I assume the EDM-700 comms are the same or similar to the FS-450.  

I have Aviation format set on the output from the IFD and Shadin-fadc on the input, with GPS C=7 set in the FS-450.  This works for me.

I USED to have Shadin-fuel and GPS C=1, that worked, too, but it showed fuel required to the next waypoint on the JPI.
mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 10:22am
I stopped at the hangar at midnight to play around. I started the JPI EDM-700 at the same time and the fuel management screen displayed nothing for fuel remaining as usual.

I turned off the EDM-700 and powered t up again, still nothing.

I had the EDM-700 running, cycled the power on the IFD440, still nothing.

Under all these combinations it complains that there is no 429 data.

So cannot blame a need to have one power up before the other.

I can see no alternative at this time that there's a problem with the data line or a defective IFD440. The fact that the avionics technicians have seen it intermittently work tells me that there's some intermittent issue with the quality of the connection or noise or, as you say, a ground problem.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 11:46am
I believe the EDM-700 connections to your IFD440 should be RS232 only. Not sure why you would be getting a ARINC 429 data message related to this. According to the latest IFD PG, the 429 Data Not Rcvd message should also have port number(s) listed separated by commas. You can reference those ARINC 429 ports in the maintenance mode.

Do you have other installed equipment that uses or used to use ARINC 429?

For instance, my airplane had a pre sw 10.2.0 MLB100/SkyTrax100 installation that required ARINC 429 input to my IFD540 for displaying SkyTrax100 traffic. That was the only ARINC 429 input or output connected to my IFD540. Since sw 10.2.0, traffic and weather can be configured to both use the same RS232 input. I had this configuration changed (it also involved a configuration change to the SkyTrax100 and moving RS232 wire to separate out the GPS data to the SkyTrax100); it eliminated my current need for any ARINC 429 ports with my present setup. The ARINC 429 port that used to provide the traffic information from the SkyTrax100 had to be turned off through the IFD540 maintenance mode even though though there is still a physical (now unused) wire between that ARINC 429 port and my SkyTrax100.

mvgossman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mvgossman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 8:01pm
Problem solved.

My avionics tech here told me that the EDM700 to IFD440 was working intermittently. That ruled out any misprogramming etc. in my mind. If it works, it works - even if intermittently.

So I was at Oshkosh and visited with one of the techs at Avidyne and someone at JPI and didn’t get any more advice except to find the intermittent connection which is how I felt too, but while I was talking to them it hit me that there’s no reason why the EDM input and output need to be on the same numbered RS-232 port. So maybe the Garmin 430W previously had one on COM 3 and the other on COM 2 for example but I never noticed because I never used the fuel functionality on the 430W. I maybe only found the misconnection when trying the functionality on the IFD440.

Turns out that the avionics tech found the problem before I had a chance to play around setting the COM settings for another port. That is exactly what was wrong. The “intermittent” function was actually an intermittent continuity check, not functionality. He figures that the intermittent continuity check, I assume a “beep” on his tester, was due to accidentally hitting the other COM pin intermittently.

Bottom line is, it works. I haven’t been to the plane yet, it’s at annual, I don’t know if they changed the IFD440 settings to use the other com port or if they switched the wire.

Either way, they say it works and I believe it.

Mitch
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 11:00am
Since the numerals on the EDM700 are so dim and tiny, you'll find it is very nice to just hit the AUX key on the 540 to check fuel flow when leaning...

Rolfe

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by rolfe_tessem rolfe_tessem wrote:

Since the numerals on the EDM700 are so dim and tiny, you'll find it is very nice to just hit the AUX key on the 540 to check fuel flow when leaning...

Rolfe

I agree and also for another reason. Once in flight, I use the EDM to monitor CHT's. I have an 540/440 combination, and the 440 is usually set to the AUX setting to monitor FF. This avoids having to continuously swap on the EDM and allows me to lean using the FF on the 440 while watching the CHTs on the EDM rise.
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by rolfe_tessem rolfe_tessem wrote:

Rolfe

That is a great tip for the EDM700/800 folks, and perhaps some others too.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic