Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can an older software release be reinstalled?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can an older software release be reinstalled?
    Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 10:21pm
My plane is at the avionics shop having 2 Garmin G5s installed to go along with my IFD540 & STEC55X.

They called me after they test flew it, and they said everything was fine except the STEC55X was showing a ‘FAIL’ annunciator.

They said they called Avidyne and was told that it was a known bug that would be fixed in the next release. It doesn’t seem to me that the install of the G5s would have triggered this error, but I don’t know. I do know I had no problems with the IFD540/STEC55X before the install of the G5s, so maybe it’s the new IFD software that they also installed that’s the source of the problem.

I was wondering if they could reinstall the older software to try and get rid of the error? Or, once you upgrade there’s no going back?

I just don’t feel comfortable flying with the ‘FAIL’ annunciator light on all the time...how would I know if there’s really a problem with the autopilot?

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 11:27pm
I don't think that you can downgrade the software, at least not in the field.

Which IFD firmware are we talking about? What was installed, and what was it updated to?

Does the STEC sitll work?? 

There is an issue with the bus speeds, and they may have had to change the bus speed on the IFD to high speed when installing the G5s. If the STEC is booted up BEFORE the IFD is in ready mode, it defaults to slow bus speed, and the direct GPSS mode will FAIL when the IFD finishes booting up, and the STEC will so annunciate. The GPSS nav from the G5s will still work, as the STEC would just be in HDG mode, and VLOC will work fine too, just STEC internal GPSS mode will fail.

BUT, if you ensure the IFD is in ready mode, before turning on the STEC (or just power the 55x down, and repower it when the IFD is ready), all will work fine.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Jun 2018 at 11:33pm
bcool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 7:13am
I don't know the exact release #s (the shop is closed until Monday), but I presume they installed the most current version, and I had not quite the oldest, but I think the next step up.

They said the STEC works, but I haven't confirmed they actually flew a coupled approach with it.

Interesting thought about the boot-up sequence. If I end up having to live with that alternative, I guess it's better than having to stare at a FAIL annunciator all the time :)

Thanks for the info!

bcool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:18pm
A follow-up on my previous issue, now that I've picked up the plane:

So far, everything (at least everything I typically use) seems to be working OK. GPSS nav (via the STEC55X) is fine, and I flew LPV & ILS coupled approaches fine with no 'fail' annunciations. So, I'm not sure what scenario caused the message for the test pilot. I have been booting the IFD first, then switching on the autopilot, so maybe Orest provided the fix :)

This is the information TJ @ Avidyne provided the installer about the issue:

The problem with this combo is that the IFD is not receiving selected CRS from the G5. This causes the IFD to go "invalid" on the VOR flag output (analog) to the 55x. However, the IFD is communicating the VOR deviation data to the G5 via 429, and the G5 is driving the 55x main L/R inputs, which allows it to work just fine (with the exception of the "fail" flag on the 55x). All other modes should work just fine with no strange annunciations.

The G5s are wonderful!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic