Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD440 inop after 4th nav data update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD440 inop after 4th nav data update
    Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 8:46pm
Hi, New owner of IFD 440 and AXP340 upgrade from GNS430W  and BK KT74 ADS B out in March 2018 Everything fine for first few months, but when I tried to update nav and obstacle database for the fourth cycle since ownership the unit suddenly sustained some critical error that deleted the existing nav database and rendered the unit totally inoperative.  It will neither read any nav database now and has erased the one that was working. I have tried formatting the fobs, using different thumb drives etc. nothing works. It still has the terrain and obstacle database but it cannot perform any navigation functions and screams "terrain terrain" at 2500 ft and I live in the flatlands of the Midwest. The radio is not usable with the thing screaming "terrain" so have had to shut the unit totally off during the last flight when this occurred. It has the latest software 10.2.2 I believe. There has to be some software glitch or bug somewhere as the unit still boots up normally and the radios work on the ground. 

Ive got a Dealer working on this problem, but it looks like there will have to be an exchange of the unit. Just wondering if anyone has had a problem similar to this and what was the cause and outcome. My confidence is somewhat undermined in the reliability of the unit at this point.

If anyone has some suggestions, ideas, or experience etc., I would be most appreciative in learning about this problem.  Thank you.

Edited by Doug P - 06 Jul 2018 at 8:47pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:00pm
I had a variation of this problem but after posting here and speaking with tech support, it seems I was the only person in the country to experience it.  My Nav database would kept wiped out each time I installed charts. The difference is, I WAS able to reinstall Nav data each time to make the unit usable again. 
In my case, the fix was to reinstall 10.2.2 in a slightly different way than normal.  It’s been fine since. 
Doug P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:42pm
How do you install 10.2.2 in a different way? I don't have any software update that tech support provided. Is there a way to download 10.2.2? The unit came with that software pre-loaded from factory.

Thanks. Prob best thing is to exchange unit ASAP. I want it for OSH in 2 weeks and any back and forth with the factory will take weeks. My dealer is supposed to be getting an exchange unit soon I hope.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Doug P Doug P wrote:

The radio is not usable with the thing screaming "terrain" so have had to shut the unit totally off
Under AUX-AUDIO Tab, turn the Aural Alert volume all the way down and it won't interfere.

Edited by Bob H - 08 Jul 2018 at 3:44pm
Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic