Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > TAS600 Systems and ADS-B
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Updated TAS605A - on the way back

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Updated TAS605A - on the way back
    Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 12:43pm
So, Avidyne told my shop to expect 10 to 15 days, plus shipping time to/from Canada, so say up to 19 days door to door. I had a coupon for the upgrade, so there is no charge on the factory work, or return shipping.

My TAS605 was sent in 30th Aug, it is now 11th Sept, and a return tracking number is now available. Should be here before the end of the week, say 13th Sept, so it will have been 10 days exclusive of shipping. Right on schedule, if not early.

I have heard that the turnaround time may be climbing. As folks find out about availability, I expect there may be large glut of units sent in, in a short period of time. I may have got in before the initial wave.

It will be nice to have it back, I feel a little "threatened" flying around right now. ;)

Will report back after the install, with any observations.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Sep 2018 at 12:44pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:00pm
Orest - Keep us posted when you have a chance to flight test...
Mine is in the assembly line, due to complete the upgrade this week.

Curious to see if the "composite" traffic display on our IFD's shows separate/different traffic icons: UAT icons for ADSB and diamonds for transponder TAS targets... 

Tom W.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:03pm
Yes, I'm curious about that too, as to how they account for the disparate sources, on the display side. Don't know if there is available an updated soft-copy PG yet.

Should be installed this coming Mon/Tues.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 11 Sep 2018 at 1:05pm
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 7:28am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Orest - Keep us posted when you have a chance to flight test...
Mine is in the assembly line, due to complete the upgrade this week.

Curious to see if the "composite" traffic display on our IFD's shows separate/different traffic icons: UAT icons for ADSB and diamonds for transponder TAS targets... 

Tom W.
That's the way it works on a Lynx NGT 9000+.  The manual explains how the icons differ.  Occasionally, for a second or two, both icons will appear next to each other for an aircraft transmitting both ADS-B Out and Mode A/C.  But then the Lynx figures it out and merges the two into the ADS-B icon.  Most of the time, however, you never see both icons for any one aircraft.  But it is common to see a mix of Mode A/C diamonds and ADS-B traffic icons on the Lynx display.  No reason I know of to think an IFD display would be any different.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 9:26am
Thanks Catani -

So how does your Lynx display its two target types on the 540? Also as different icon types?

Looking forward to seeing the new TAS-"A" finally.  Won't have "dual" ADSB IN or air-to-air 980 hz Traffic (just 1090), but almost...

Tom W.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 1:47pm

Thanks Catani -

So how does your Lynx display its two target types on the 540? Also as different icon types?

I have my Lynx traffic displaying on an Avidyne EX5000 MFD (which can only displays diamonds unfortunately - it cannot display ADS-B icons) as well as the Lynx itself (which is where I see both icon types).  I don't have a 540.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

Thanks Catani -

I have my Lynx traffic displaying on an Avidyne EX5000 MFD (which can only displays diamonds unfortunately - it cannot display ADS-B icons) as well as the Lynx itself (which is where I see both icon types).  I don't have a 540.

Edit to add:  No 540, but I do have an IFD440.  I do know the IFD440 is set to receive traffic from the Lynx over ARINC429.  With an MFD, I don't use or refer to the map function of the IFD except when entering or amending flight plans.  Whenever I've seen a traffic target on the IFD, I always use that as a key to look at the Lynx's own screen, which has a dedicated traffic display with no other clutter to interfere my analysis of a threat and its location.

But I do believe the IFD440 does show both diamond TAS icons as well as ADS-B traffic icons for aircraft so equipped.  Since I don't use it for that purpose, I don't want to claim that it can without confirming that first.  I'm planning to fly on Friday, and will confirm one way or another what traffic icons show up on the 440.  Since the Lynx is feeding the 440 with both types of icons, and since the 440 can display both types, I don't see why there would be a problem.  But I'll confirm that and post back here.  Whatever the 440 can do, the 540 can do also of course.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 5:49pm

...But I do believe the IFD440 does show both diamond TAS icons as well as ADS-B traffic icons for aircraft so equipped.  Since I don't use it for that purpose, I don't want to claim that it can without confirming that first.  I'm planning to fly on Friday, and will confirm one way or another what traffic icons show up on the 440...

Good thing I checked.  My IFD440 does not display ADS-B traffic icons from the Lynx.  The IFD displays all traffic the Lynx sees, but converts any ADS-B icons displayed on the Lynx's own screen into diamond icons.  The Lynx also wifi's traffic to ForeFlight, and ForeFlight does depict both ADS-B and diamond icons, reflecting what I see on the Lynx's own screen.  The IFD gets traffic data over ARINC 429, while ForeFlight gets that same traffic over a different type port. Not sure if that could explain why the IFD does not display ADS-B icons.  I rather doubt it.  I suspect there remains some kind of difference in the way the IFD interprets what is supposed to be Lynx's version of Capstone.

Now that Avidyne and L3 are marketing NGT9000 and IFDs together, perhaps at some point they will be made fully compatible.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 10:54pm
Catani -
Does the Lynx send and display ADSB Wx to the IFD540/440?

On a similar note, does the Lynx ADSB-Wx populate the Avidyne "Info" Wx -Metars on the IFDX40, or are you only able to see this from your Lynx9000 box?

Thanks.

Tom W.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 5:43am

...But I do believe the IFD440 does show both diamond TAS icons as well as ADS-B traffic icons for aircraft so equipped.  Since I don't use it for that purpose, I don't want to claim that it can without confirming that first.  I'm planning to fly on Friday, and will confirm one way or another what traffic icons show up on the 440...

Good thing I checked.  My IFD440 does not display ADS-B traffic icons from the Lynx.  The IFD displays all traffic the Lynx sees, but converts any ADS-B icons displayed on the Lynx's own screen into diamond icons.  The Lynx also wifi's traffic to ForeFlight, and ForeFlight does depict both ADS-B and diamond icons, reflecting what I see on the Lynx's own screen.  The IFD gets traffic data over ARINC 429, while ForeFlight gets that same traffic over a different type port. Not sure if that could explain why the IFD does not display ADS-B icons.  I rather doubt it.  I suspect there remains some kind of difference in the way the IFD interprets what is supposed to be Lynx's version of Capstone.

Now that Avidyne and L3 are marketing NGT9000 and IFDs together, perhaps at some point they will be made fully compatible.
I don't know how the Lynx talks to your IFD, but with the MLB/Skytrax 100 and as of (I think) v10.2, the icons you see depend on how the data is received.  My boxes were originally set up to use ARINC429 data format, but then after 10.2 the preferred setting is RS232 "Skytrax Wx + Tfc".  With the old setting, you got all the traffic but only as diamonds; with the new setting, targets now have barbs to show direction of motion.

Perhaps there is something similar that needs to be tweaked to get the barbs when using the Lynx as an input?

Here are a couple of the posts talking about this with Skytrax:  

Edited by MysticCobra - 20 Sep 2018 at 5:44am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 6:01pm
OK, TAS-A box back and installed, two snags.

1) The installation manual was not clear as to what GPS data input was required, email from Avidyne support:

The TAS-A units are looking for GPS via either:
  1. Garmin ADS-B+ GPS Protocol over RS-232.
  2. ARINC-743A over ARINC-429.

From what we have seen on these -A units, the GAMA variety 429 GPS data doesn't include the specific ADS-B labels the TAS is looking for.  I need to have them spell this out far more clearly in the IM, because right now, it's not very clear.  

So beware. We had wired the 429 out from the IFD, to the proper pins, but cannot use the setting as noted in (2.), as this is used for other purposes and requires a different setting on that channel. Had to get back under the panel, and add the extra connector to use com port 5, as the first 4 are in use, and change the settings.

2) Symbology remains the classic diamonds, rather than the new arrowed icons. I suspect this has to do with needing a 232 input, vice the 429 that was the preferred before 10.2 -- actually as noted in the message above. Will investigate. Might mean yet another dip under the panel.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Sep 2018 at 10:26pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 6:20pm
I just realized, the input from the TAS is on RS232 already, but the mode is set to Ryan TCAD. 

Perhaps all we need to do is switch it to "" RS232 Skytrax Wx + Tfc", or something similar. Will investigate.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Sep 2018 at 6:20pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 11:23am
Orest,

I thought the same, but don't think that works.

Believe it requires separate line. I think the RS-232 out from the IFD to the TAS is for display control signal transmission.

Could be wrong, but we wired a separate input on RS-232.
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Orest,

I thought the same, but don't think that works.

Believe it requires separate line. I think the RS-232 out from the IFD to the TAS is for display control signal transmission.

Could be wrong, but we wired a separate input on RS-232.

Do you have a pic of your RS232 page? I have RS232 OUT & RS232 IN, both Ryan TCAD.

Are you seeing the new arrow-type symbology on the IFD, from your TAS unit?

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 3:46pm
Orest:
I have channel 4 on both IFD 1 and 2 (they are parallel wired).  Ryan TCAD/RyanTCAD.
On Channel 6 out on IFD1, we ran an RS-232 configured ADS-B +(G), to i believe open RS-232 port 5 on the TAS-A.

We're planning systems checkout tomorrow morning (had to work today).  Will let you know, but per tech support, both in and out on the channel has to be Ryan TCAD for display purposes, thus the additional wire run.
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 5:06pm
Thanks, please report back, when you've sorted it out further. Much appreciated.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 1:21pm
Well we got the unit back from Avidyne and it appears it came back with the same configuration it had preserved.

But, if you want to “take advantage” of the -A feature - you have to do some other conifiguration to enable that.  The pre -A unit had a dedicated COM port for serial communications.  The -A unit doesn’t.  You have to sort of jury rig an access and use Hyperterminal or Putty, fashioning a home brew DB9 female connector, as well as a USB to serial cord.  {Memories of Compserve - remember 9600 baud 8 bits no parity?)

We spent hours yesterday and can’t get serial communications established.  Could be a port conflict but who the he** knows.

The device has a USB connector but did they make this simple?  Or configurable from the IFD.  Noooooo.

Will follow up later.  

Edited by ddgates - 23 Sep 2018 at 1:22pm
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 7:11pm
Yes, you have to turn ADS-B to ON, and input your hex code. My shop had an adapter ready to go, so that part was easy.

* Orest

Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 1:49pm

Catani -
Does the Lynx send and display ADSB Wx to the IFD540/440?

On a similar note, does the Lynx ADSB-Wx populate the Avidyne "Info" Wx -Metars on the IFDX40, or are you only able to see this from your Lynx9000 box?

My Lynx is connected to the IFD through ARINC 429.  It does not transfer ADS-B weather over that channel, only traffic.  The Lynx has an RS422 output that does send both ADS-B weather and traffic, and the IFD can receive it over RS232, now that Avidyne has increased the baud rate with the latest software update.  I have not had the update done, so my IFD is limited to receiving Lynx traffic only over ARINC.  And as someone pointed out, and I found during a recent flight, the IFD only displays basic traffic icons when ARINC is the input.  I prefer to have XM weather displayed on the IFD in a coming software update, so getting my Lynx and IFD to communicate over RS has not been a priority for me.

Since my Lynx ARINC connection to the IFD does not include weather, the METARs from the Lynx are not populated to the IFD.  I assume they would be if you wired the Lynx and IFD to communicate over RS422/232.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

I don't know how the Lynx talks to your IFD, but with the MLB/Skytrax 100 and as of (I think) v10.2, the icons you see depend on how the data is received.  My boxes were originally set up to use ARINC429 data format, but then after 10.2 the preferred setting is RS232 "Skytrax Wx + Tfc".  With the old setting, you got all the traffic but only as diamonds; with the new setting, targets now have barbs to show direction of motion.

Perhaps there is something similar that needs to be tweaked to get the barbs when using the Lynx as an input?

I think you're right.  My Lynx and IFD communicate over ARINC, and like you the IFD displays only basic traffic icons.  And no weather either.  I suspect if I were to wire up the Lynx and IFD to communicate over RS, I would get ADS-B traffic icons on the IFD as well as ADS-B radar, METARs and other weather.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 4:07pm
OK, I have 232 channel 2 on the IFD as Ryan TCAD/RyanTCAD. That alone did not work, and I got a continuous POSITION ERROR.

Adding on 232 channel 5 out on the IFD, set to ADS-B +(G), to the TAS-A, fixed that position error, and it was obvious that ADS-B traffic was added. But, it was in the conventional diamond symbology only, no new ADS-B "arrow" symbology.

Does ANYONE see the new ADS-B type symbology, from their TAS-A unit?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 24 Sep 2018 at 4:08pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 10:37am
Orest - recent phone conversation with Avi tech support (Jack Musgrave) indicates the TAS-A composite  traffic signal on RS232 high speed (TAS + 1090 ADSB) will only displays as "Legacy" targets - the familiar diamonds, not UAT with speed vectors.

To display UAT ADSB traffic icons with speed vectors, etc. on the 540, need a 978 hz ADSB source like our Skytrax100 (MLB).

I received my upgraded TAS-A box and installed it without any further "A"-configuration changes (waiting for Avi support to communicate with installer on details without the 9-pin serial port and outdated PC software).  

In reality, the only function potentially added if the "A" configuration is added would be "N" number and speed info on the 1090 stream already received on the TAS-interrogated 1090 signal.

Works like a charm, just like before.  No GPS error messages... have TAS traffic on dual Aspens and IFD540#1, and Skytrax100 (MLB) UAT traffic on IFD540 #2.

RS232 Config page looks like this:  

Edited by n7ifr - 25 Sep 2018 at 10:45am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 11:12am
OK, got it.

So the main advantage is the greater range (definitely improved, from 7nm to 30nm now), and more accurate azimuth -- at least for stations transmitting ADS-B position either directly on 1090, or if you are picking up ADS-R rebroadcasted 978, on 1090.

Cost me a little under 1 AMU for labor & shipping to/from, but N/C on the hardware itself.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Sep 2018 at 11:22am
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 1:53pm
. Range on the TAS605 vs "A" is same 30 nm.
. I think the "A" software offers better audio traffic "conflict" warnings.

. Not aware that Azimuth accuracy for targets would be any different using "A" software... for 978 hz vs 1090 hz ADSB re-broadcast target info.

Tom W.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 2:11pm
For Mode C targets, 30nm is way too optimistic for the TAS605, from the Avidyne literature ...

TAS605 Recommended for mid-performance aircraft and rotorcraft, the TAS605 features a 13nm range, a 5,500-foot vertical separation maximum and a 55,000-foot service ceiling. It accepts Arinc 429 Heading, permitting rapid repositioning of targets during high-rate turns.

Practically, I have seldom seen anything more than about 7nm. But even on the ground, with the 605A I am easily picking up ADS-B OUT 1090 targets even 30nm+ out. There is no ADS-R locally, as I am in Canada, so easy to differentiate the source.

For Mode C targets the TAS605 computes the azimuth by triangulation with its three antennas, and it does a pretty good job. I presume that for ADS-B 1090 targets, the TAS605A uses ADS-B target position data, so it should be able to calculate/plot azimuth more accurately.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Sep 2018 at 2:30pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 2:54pm
Makes sense -
Without ground stations repeaters, and without the "A" configured, I will see 1090 TAS-pinged Air-to-Air in "ping proximity range", but with the "A" configured for 1090-In ADSB, the Air-to-Air reception range would be expectedly greater...

To bad we can't display 1090-In UAT symbology to more easily differentiate the two... For my display configuration, and without a ground repeater in range, I will only see far away Air-to-Air 978 UAT ADSB-In, and not as far away Air-to-Air 1090 IN from direct TAS-interrogation pinging.

Tom W.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 4:27pm

To bad we can't display 1090-In UAT symbology to more easily differentiate the two... 

+1

* Orest

Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2018 at 9:34pm
+2. I noticed the symbology in the updated documentation for MFD 8.2, so clearly it was part of the plan at one point.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 10:09pm
Well, I've had a few flights now, and have had the opportunity to check out the firmware/hardware 605 -> 605A upgrade.

The range is impressively increased (for ADS-B targets), up to 30nm at least. It looks like the azimuth (where I had a visual on bogies) is dead on now and tracks precisely as they move. Before it was often a bit off, 30* to 45* sometimes, and tended to jump a bit when they got close.

Nice to now blend in the ADS-B data, but still have the TAS Mode C, as a fallback backup. Definitely a worthwhile improvement.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Sep 2018 at 10:11pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 8:38pm
good to hear it was worth the wait.
Now, if we can only figure out why we can’t get a command line to activate ads...
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2018 at 8:45pm
David,

Expect it is a connection (pins) or baud rate issue.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 10:22pm
as usual, orest is the man.

Tech rewired the DB9 with tech support on the phone.  Voila, it works.

David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 8:46pm
Glad to hear David - My "A" configuration will be this week and will test fly.  

Looking forward to the increased Simplex Range (as Orest experienced for the 1090 ADS-B) greater than the TAS605 range.

Just as an aside, I will continue to have my ES-transponder set as "978-In" client so as to have all of my 978 Simplex and ADS-R Incoming as UAT 978 Icons on my IFD#2 540 (TAS-A on #1 IFD540 for N-Numbers and dual Aspens - no N-numbers).

Maybe Avidyne will develop the 1090-In with UAT display capability... future upgrade??

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 03 Oct 2018 at 8:50pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 6:24am
Tom:
Wh n you get to the A configuration, you will need a USB to serial adapter and a terminal program  (Hyperterminal of PuTTY).  You will use sam for all of 5 minutes.

I have a laptop already configured.  I have several adapters.  A waste to buy for one time brief use.  Suggest you use mine.
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 12:36pm
Thanks David -
I sent you an email.  Unfortunately, I have the PuTTY program on my PC from last century!

Tom
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 7:03pm
TAS-A configured and test flight today, all good.  
Config - 
. 540#1 displays TASA and 540#2 displays Skytrax100 traffic + Wx
. WiFi On 540#1, Off 540#2
. iPad using FlyQB
. Flying within ADS-R ground stations.

Observations:
1. 540#1 shows targets, some with N-numbers, no speed vector symbology.
2. 540#2 shows 978 UAT targets with full speed vector symbology.
3. FlyQB displays composite with 
      . all targets with speed vector symbology, even targets from TAS-A 
      . may be showing Composite of both 540's TIS-B over WiFi #1, despite only #1-WiFi
        ON.
Next time I am out of ground station range, expect to see extended TAS-A FIS-B 1090-ES range
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 10:38am
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 10:41am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 2:24pm
Maybe the easiest way to do that detective function is to just pull the breaker on the TAS?

Looks to me like the conversation is largely over.  The TAS-A with sky trax trfc and Wx gives pretty strong coverage.  I’m letting go of the dual frequency issue.
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 1:38am
Very good, David.

Yes, by pulling the TAS-C.B. in flight, with lots of traffic targets displayed on the iPad/FlyQ, would cause drop-out of the IFD540 #1 TASA FIS-B targets, and the remaining targets would be from the #2 540 (978 type) ported over the cross-synched WiFi.

My bet is that when cross-synched, both 540's ADS-B/R info is ported out the one active WiFi that is ON...

Tom W. 
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2018 at 4:22pm
Good news... Finally!! Actual Dual ADS-B IN now with TAS"A" & MLB units... porting via WiFi #1.

Somehow, even though only 540 WiFi #1 ON (#2 = Off) both 540's displayed ADS-B/R traffic sources seem to be ported out over active WiFi to my iPad FlyQ EFB.  Non-FIS-B traffic like TAS and Mode-S display with N-numbers on 540#1.

540 #1 displays Ryan TCAD = 1090 TAS, ES (="A"), Mode-S, 1090 air-to-air
540 #2 displays Skytrax100 (MLB) = UAT FIS-B, ADS-R, 978 air-to-air 

During short flight - , 
  .  pulled TAS breaker, virtually no dropout of targets on iPad.
  .  pulled UAT (MLB) breaker, all targets gone from iPad.

Since flight entirely in range of R-ground station, and my ES transponder is SET configured to receive Rebroadcast on 978, I figure my FlyQ is receiving almost entirely the ADS-R (on 978) on 540 #2.  No FIS-B 1090 air-to-air since these were all Re-broadcast from ground to me on 978.

When I finally get to fly out of ground station range, I expect to see long range 1090 air-to-air ADS-B (and usual range TAS) (on 540 #1) and 978 air-to-air (on 540 #2) both ported via WiFi onto iPad via WiFi#1.

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 08 Oct 2018 at 4:26pm
Timothy Nathan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 12:24pm
Sorry, guys, may I ask for a summary?  You refer to a number of units and technologies we don’t use in Europe.

We have 1090 only, and we have no ADS-R (or, indeed, FIS-B).

I operate two aircraft.  

The “other” aircraft has Garmin TAS, G600 and GTN750/650.  In that aircraft, I see vectors and tail numbers.  I don’t have to do anything to see the vectors, they are just there, but I have to click on a contact in the G600 MFD to see tail numbers, type, flight number etc.

On this aircraft, I have just had installed TAS605A, with the extra cable and connector.  It is feeding Aspen Evolution 1500 and GTN750/650.

I see exactly what I did before, diamonds with a relative altitude, but no vectors or extended information.  Indeed, it is not possible to tell whether ADS-B is working, as the diamonds look just like they did before.

I do not wish to install any more boxes, or display traffic on the iPad, I just want the 605A, Aspen and GTNs.

Am I missing something, or is that what I should expect?

I do know that the answers to my questions are in the last 20 posts, I just can’t interpret it, so would someone be kind enough to explain it all to me as if I were educationally and intellectually challenged?

Thank you.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 12:46pm
Tim -
IMHO, interfacing Avidyne with Garmin GTN - all bets are off.

My experience using TAS605"A" (and Skytrax/MLB 987-In) is that the full display of the full speed vector stuff (the new FAA terminology ATAS symbology AKA UAT) is that it appears to be Software Dependent...

So, even though our Avidyne IFD's does display full UAT symbology (987-In using Avidyne Skytrax aka MLB) with speed vectors, etc, when using TAS605A (1090-In), our IFD's only display diamonds, tail numbers, and vertical info - No Speed Vectors...

I discovered however, that using FlyQ on iPad and IFD540 WiFi porting out the 1090 ADSB traffic, the iPad display contains all the cool Speed Vector, tail number, and vertical info... So, my conclusion is that the IFD540 software just isn't up to speed on the full display capability of 1090-In traffic, even though the 987-UAT display shows all.

With your Garmin GTN, I have to assume the same software discrepancy with cross vendor incompatibility.

Tom W.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:13pm
Thank you and @ddgates (on another thread).

So how do I know whether ADS-B is working, or if it’s still TAS information?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:19pm
Don't know of a way to tease the two sources out from the TAS-A composite output.
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2018 at 1:26pm
Good question Tim.

Soft answer is that with the TAS605A, ADSB target reception range is greater than TAS interrogation range:
. TAS target range is about 7-10 nm radius
. 1090-ES squitter-Out (ADSB air-to-air range 1090-IN) is about 15-20 nm, depending on target altitude.

So, if you see a target greater than 10 nm away, likely it is ADSB.
With ADS-R (not available in Europe, we get about 80 nm range.  

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 27 Nov 2018 at 1:28pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 8:09am
I have definitely seen contacts further away than that in pre ADS-B days.  I think up to about 30 or 40 miles.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 8:42am
Maybe the UK has "cleaner air".
David Gates
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timothy Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 8:49am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Maybe the UK has "cleaner air".

So many possible answers about the current situation in the UK dance through my head, none of them appropriate...
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 10:53am
Seeing contacts 30nm+ away is a pretty sure sign that the 1090 TIS-B is working, and being forwarded to your display device.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic