Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > DFC90/DFC100 Digital Autopilot
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DFC90 for the Baron, Bonanza and Skylane

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DFC90 for the Baron, Bonanza and Skylane
    Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 12:15pm
Avidyne announced on 25 July 2011 DFC90 support for the Barons, Bonanza's and Skylane.  We've created some data sheets for those aircraft to help see if your airplane meets the minimum requirements and is one of the supported configurations.  They will be available on www.dfc90.com.  For now, they can be accessed via these links:

Baron: 
Bonanza:
Skylane:

Please see the FAQ thread for more information on the DFC90.

For those interested in hearing about the equipment that can be removed and installed in King autopilot replacements, click on this link for a quick reference table.

Edited by AviJake - 28 Jul 2011 at 12:30pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
etekberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etekberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 10:03am
Any info on what gets removed for the Century autopilots yet?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 7:43pm
Yes, let me dig it up and add to the thread.  I may be delayed until Friday however.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 10:11am
For Century III aircraft, the following items can be removed:

D.G
Control Console
Artificial Horizon
Computer Amplifier
Radio Coupler
Glide Slope Coupler

The ADI may be retained for the backup when installing the Aspen. An Out-of -Trim sensor is a separate unit in some installations and may or may not be removed.  Avidyne needs access to an out of trim sensor so that our flight control computer knows how much trim command to continuously issue.

Edited by AviJake - 06 Aug 2011 at 10:13am
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
etekberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etekberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 3:04pm
That list seems a bit incomplete.  Here is the list of Century III equipment from the maintenance manual.

Console 1C404
Amplifier 1C515-1
Artificial Horizon 52D67
Directional Gyro 52D54
Altitude Hold Sensor 1C407
Roll Servo 1C363-1-306R
Pitch Servo 1C508-1-346P
Radio Coupler 1C388-?
Glide Slope Coupler 1C493
Automatic Pitch Trim Amplifier 1C671
Automatic Pitch Trim Servo 1C373-5-315
Automatic Pitch Trim Sensor 1C647-315
Automatic Pitch Trim Switch 30B416
Automatic Pitch Trim Relay Box 1A526

Edited by etekberg - 08 Aug 2011 at 3:07pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 8:01pm
Agreed.  Thanks for being more precise.

Able to be removed:

Control Console 1C404  (instrument panel)
Computer Amplifier 1C515-1  (aircraft radio rack)
Artificial Horizon 52D67  (instrument panel)
Directional Gyro 52D54  (instrument panel)
Altitude Hold Sensor 1C407  (aircraft radio rack)
Radio Coupler 1C388-()  (instrument panel)
Glide Slope Coupler 1C493  (behind instrument panel)
Automatic Pitch Trim Amplifier 1C671  (aft of rear baggage compartment)

Retain in aircraft as part of the DFC90 upgrade:

Roll Servo 1C363-1-306R  (aft of main gear well)
Pitch Servo 1C508-1-346P  (aft of station 216 near centerline of aircraft)
Automatic Pitch Trim Servo 1C373-5-315
Automatic Pitch Trim Sensor 1C647-315  (aft of station 233 near centerline of aircraft)
Automatic Pitch Trim Switch 30B416  (pilot's control wheel)

Still need to verify removal/retention status:

Automatic Pitch Trim Relay Box 1A526

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 10:53am
We just noticed an error in that two models of Bonanzas (or Debonairs) were missing from the supported aircraft model list.

The 35-C33 and E33C will both be supported aircraft models.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 1:03pm
11 Nov 2011 Update:

We're busy plugging away working through the integration details of the DFC90 with the Aspen PFD and lab testing/characterizing the various S-Tec and King servos.  We also have Century servos in our lab for that testing.

We are flying the Aspen PFD with our DFC90 in our company aircraft and Aspen is about to start doing the same in their company aircraft.

We may be light on progress reports during the rest of the fall/winter as we work through all those integration details.

We expect to finish the C-182 STC for 28V aircraft first and have that followed shortly by 28V BE-33s and 28V BE-36s.   V-tail BE-35s and the Baron models are right after that.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 1:41pm
29 Dec 2011 Update:

Avidyne has two Aspen-equipped and DFC90-equipped C-182s that we're using for development and certification platforms and Aspen now has their company SR22 equipped with an Aspen PFD and DFC90 autopilot.  We believe the Aspen attitude and nav output performance is now acceptable and we are working on the user interface for the Aspen PFD.

We are running two aircraft certifications in parallel.  Aspen will achieve the STC on the SR2X aircraft and Avidyne will achieve the STC on the 182 platforms.

Avidyne also has long-term possession of a 1984 F33A Bonanza.  This is a King servo equipped airplane.  We are currently running characterization testing of the MET circuit so we understand pitch trim speed, responsiveness, bandwidth, circuit design, etc.  As soon as we are done with that MET testing, we will run the aerodynamic model flight tests (January 2012) where we measure the aircraft response to various control inputs which then gets rolled back into the DFC90 aero model and software.   Next steps after that are to install an Aspen PFD in that airplane.

I expect the next meaningful milestone to report on will be the completion of the user interface mods to the Aspen PFD.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
etekberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etekberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 2:22pm
Any word on when the 14V BE-36 models will be tackled?  Thanks.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 10:05am
Hi Eric,

We're going to knock out some of the 28V aircraft first.  The 14V hardware will be ready a few months later.  With your combination of 14V and Century servos, you'll likely be on the 2nd wave of BE-36s.   I think that translates to "late 2012".
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
mpradel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpradel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 2:32pm
Jake,

Let's get the Duke on that list too. there's a lot of them out there flying around in Century IVs.

I don't know of a single Duke owner that would blink @ 20K entry price.. 

Yes, I already have Dual Aspen PFDs. 
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 2:50pm
Hi Marcus,

I couldn't remember what a Duke was so I had to look it up on Xtranormal (http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7798817/dukes-explained) for a refresher.....

Sorry, couldn't help myself.   But I do agree that anyone who flies a Duke does look cool.

In all seriousness, we agree that the Duke would also make a great platform for the DFC90.   As with the other airframes we haven't announced yet, we're intentionally not announcing any additional aircraft until we work off our current IOUs and that goes for the Duke for now.  We understand your (and many other Duke owners) strong desire for an advanced autopilot for your plane and we hope to help you out in the not-too-distant future.

In the meantime, consider it "on the contender list".
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
A36 Kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A36 Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2012 at 8:10pm
AviJake,
I and my partners in an A36 Bonanza are hoping to upgrade to the DFC090 as soon as it is approved for our 'bird'.
We have:
Aspen 1000
Century III A/P
Garmin GNS530
and are 12V electrical system
How is the schedule looking?
A36 Kevin
A36 Kevin
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2012 at 9:15am
Hi Kevin,

We're definitely making good progress but not quite done.  I'll provide a more detailed post when I return to the office on Monday but we're focused first on the Stec servo integration and then will finish the Avidyne servo and Century servo integrations.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Mry110 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mry110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2012 at 1:19pm

Will you release the product as you get these approvals, or will you wait until they are all approved? I have an Aspen 2000 and a STEC-55X autopilot.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 5:05pm
Yes, we will release them as we knock out the individual certifications.  (BTW, what type of plane do you have?)

First up will be the Cessna 182s (14V or 28V) that have Stec servos.
Next up will be the 14V or 28V Bonanzas (33, 35, 36) that have Stec servos.
After that we'll add the Barons (55, 58) with Stec servos.

Then we'll see if the Avidyne servos are ready by then or is it time to hit the Century servo integrations.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Mry110 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mry110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 10:03pm
Bonanza A36 28v. Thanks for the info!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 10:17pm
Okay, great.  Then the fall of 2012 *should* be very good to you and us.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
A36 Kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A36 Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 10:46am
So again,
any estimate (month/year) as to when a Bonanza (14V) with Century III A/P servos may be 'in play?'
A36 Kevin
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 12:51pm
Hi Kevin,

I'm not comfortable estimating any completion of Century servo integration until at least the spring of 2013.  As I look at the remaining calendar left in 2012 and stack of projects to complete before we can apply full attention to Century servo integration, I think the spring of 2013 looks to be the best case scenario with Centurys.  I know it's not what you would prefer to hear but I think that reflects reality.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
A36 Kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A36 Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 3:11pm
Appreciate the candor, Jake
It helps with our planning, thanks!
A36 Kevin
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 2:17pm
Jake,

I would like to purchase the complete DFC90 including servos for a 14V Bonanza 35. 

What time frame are we looking at?

Thanks!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 8:01pm
We'll be starting the final cert effort for the V35 (and other Bonanza models) as soon as we get the Cessna 182 cert under our belts.   This initial Bonanza cert will cover both 14V and 28V variants but will require pre-existing STec servos.

From your 2:17pm post on 9/11, it sounds like you also need the Avidyne servos.  If that is true, then you'll have about another 6 months to wait as we finish development and cert of those servos.   When those servos are done, we'll amend the existing DFC aircraft certs to add the Avidyne servos as another valid configuration.   Remember too, that we expect to integrate with existing STec and then Century servos but if you had anything else, you will need the Avidyne servos.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 9:43pm
Jake,

This is still a little unclear. 

If I add 6 months to what? I don't know whether your Cessna 182 cert will happen tomorrow or 3 months from now. Or even approximately how long the Bonanza cert will take after that.

Could you please clarify?

Thanks!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 8:52am
There are a lot of variables still at play so accurate calendar estimates are difficult.   We believe the following sequence is most likely:

STec servo and Aspen PFD equipped C-182s - September 2012 STC/TSO/Shipping
STec servo and Aspen PFD equipped Bonanzas (14 or 28V) - late fall 2012 STC/TSO/Shipping
Avidyne servo and Aspen PFD equipped Bonanzas or Barons or Skylanes (14V or 28V) - late spring 2013 STC/TSO/Shipping

Those last two dates could slide around, both earlier and later, depending on some of those variables I mention above.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 9:18am
Thanks very much for the clarification -- that is what I was looking for. I understand that estimates are difficult and are just that -- estimates.
Mry110 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mry110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 2:42pm
AviJake,
 Notice all the Bonanza guys asking all the questions, hint, hint, nudge, nudge ;).
A36 Kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A36 Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 5:27pm
Yet ANOTHER question, Jake!
A36 with Century III servos
Will you be attacking that combo AFTER you do the Avidyne servos?
If so, that sounds like summer 2013 or later?  Our A36 A/P is down right now and I'm trying to figure out if we can wait or not.  (I'm in flight test so I DO know how schedules slide!)  Thanks for you're patience!  We're just excited about that DFC90!
A36 Kevin
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:45pm
Hi Kevin,

We love the excitement. We wish it were all done too.

For your specific question, the answer is "I'm not sure".  Now for a little color.   Our servo development is (sort of) a parallel development with our other autopilot development work.  While we're "waiting" for certain milestones to be achieved on the Avidyne servo, we are continuing along with the Bonanza and Baron certs using the STec servos.   When we're done with the STec servo certs with the DFC90 in those Bonanzas and Barons, we then look at the state of the Avidyne servo development.  If it hasn't hit those specific internal milestones, then we'll move on to the Century servo integration while we wait for the Avidyne servo to reach those milestones.   So in effect, it is a race to see which we get to attack next - Avi servo or Century integration.   All the more reason for us to get the Stec certs done on the Bonanza and Barons as soon as we can.

I know that doesn't help much with your planning - I feel your pain.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
A36 Kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A36 Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 8:20pm
Thanks Jake!
I know you have to execute the most efficient flight test plan that makes sense for your total statement of work.  You know much more the details of that than we do as you are immersed in it!

My only comment and thought, from a marketing standpoint is where is your bigger market for DFC90s?  It would think there are quite a few Bonanzas and Barons that may be waiting to utilize their existing Century servos and just replace their Century A/P 'brains' with the DFC90s rather than replace their servos with either new Avidyne servos or that might have existing STec servos.  Are there very many Bonanzas and/or Barons that have STec servos/Autopilots?  Seems like that number would be low and that there might be a pretty big market for Century A/P equipped Bonanzas and Barons out there....  I'll be quiet now...  sign me "waiting patiently in Seattle!"  Wishing you all at Avidyne quick success with your flight testing on the DFC90!
A36 Kevin
Mry110 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mry110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 10:56am

The DFC90 started with the Cirrus and all of the Cirri have the 55X. I think they were looking at the following path:

Cirrus with Stec -> Stec now proven, lets expand airframe to 182,Bo,Baron with Stecs -> 4 Airframes available lets expand the servos -> Lets make our own servos ->Future expand to more airframes(?)

Just my guess as to what went on behind the scenes.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 6:34pm
Don't forget about the integration with the Aspen PFD.  That was a big part and long effort.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
A36 Kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A36 Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 6:49pm
Yes that is appreciated and a big part of what makes this desirable!  We already have the Aspen. You know, a digital A/P with digital attitude source in GA aircraft is something I never thought I would see in my lifetime.  I know Garmin has done it....  But the great thing about this is that we can do it in stages which makes this something that is relatively affordable!  Plus, being able to do this while using existing A/P servos (Century in our case) makes this very compelling.  I think you have a winning approach and should do well with this!  Thanks again for your efforts! 
A36 Kevin
Mry110 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mry110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 10:30am
Any news on the Bonanza STC? It's been quiet around here.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 3:11pm
Thanks for the prod.   Our first cert platform is the V-tail Bonanza (14V and 28V).  We're working with the FAA now to schedule their evaluation flight for that.  It is shaping up to be the 1st or 2nd week of December based on their availability (we're ready to go but FAA availability has been a challenge).  Assuming that exercise is uneventful, we should have STC within 30 days of that milestone.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 1:46am
Do you have a table for the required S-Tec servo part numbers for a short body Bonanza 33 installation (14V) similar to the one for King?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 10:28am
I can dig one up but at the top level, it's any servo that currently works with the STec 30, 50, 55, 55X, 60-2, 65.

When do you need that information?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 10:40am
Really would appreciate, before or right after Thanksgiving is OK.
Kind Regards
Robert
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 9:27pm
So the STEC 40 and the STEC 60PSS are specifically excluded, and their servos are NOT compatible??

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2012 at 10:29pm
{bump}
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 8:01am
28 Nov 2012 Progress Update:

As previously reported here, we have flown and created autopilot software models for the 33, 35 and 36 series of Bonanzas and the 55 and 58 series of Barons.

We are now in the certification phase for the 35 series of Bonanzas.  We have a customer aircraft at our facility in Melbourne FL undergoing modifications to remove the old autopilot gear (leaving servos intact) and replacing it with a DFC90 that will be driven by the already installed Aspen PFD.  That aircraft should be ready to perform FAA certification flight testing in mid-December using that software model we created this past summer.  At that point, we *should* be a month or less away from the first Bonanza cert.   The next Bonanza model after that is expected to be the A36.

We are still negotiating with the FAA on adding the DFC90 to Aspen-equipped Cirrus.  The principal subject of the negotiations involve whether or not the FAA needs to fly/evaluate that installation themselves or if Avidyne performed and supplied test results will be sufficient.  We hope to have resolution on that decision in the next few weeks.

As for the Avidyne servos, we have just completed a modest redesign of the servos after we found they wouldn't meet all of our design goals.  We're starting the manufacturing of the next round of prototypes that we expect to use in flight test and hardware/software/environmental qualification and certification.  That design tweak took a long time and a lot of effort but seems to be back on track now.

If those Avidyne servos are done with qual in time, then we plan to use them in the A36 cert. If they are not, we will cert a STec equipped A-36.  The Century servo equipped aircraft are still in our plan but will be sequenced behind the first A36 cert (Avi servo or STec servo).

Barons are also being worked into the sequence but precise date estimates are not available until we work off some of the above mentioned tasks.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2012 at 8:04am
Orest,

I'll spend some time later today looking at those STec servo model numbers but in general the 40 and 60PSS were not supported mainly because they do not have a vertical axis component, and therefore no pitch and pitch trim servos installed.  I'm aware there is an upgrade path to convert them into true lateral and vertical axis autopilots and the thing I hope to check on is whether or not those roll axis servos in the 40 and 60PSS are the same as the supported Stec dual axis autopilots.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 8:00pm
Understand what you are saying.

However, the STEC 40 + STEC 60PSS together (as installed in my aircraft) give you the same functionality as an STEC 60 alone, with roll, pitch and pitch trim controlled. However the pitch trim control is an option.

Thanks for checking.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Nov 2012 at 8:02pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2012 at 8:01pm
10 Dec 2012 Progress Update:

While I can't declare we have the Bonanza certified yet, we still have good news to report nonetheless.

Our modifications of the V-tail 35 customer aircraft we are borrowing is expected to be complete by Thursday of this week and official flight testing should begin on Friday (14 Dec).

In parallel with this, two of us met live with the FAA today to talk about the details and the extent to which the FAA is delegating approval authority to Avidyne as part of the Bonanza and Baron DF90 certs.  They agreed to three very important wins today:

1.  For this first Bonanza cert, they are delegating half of the approvals to Avidyne (this will save weeks of calendar time for the cert);

2  Given the amount of delegation planned, this will keep the cert project out of "Sequencing".  That means it won't go into the potentially very lengthy wait black hole;

3.  On the subsequent Bonanza and Baron certs, and assuming all goes well on our first delegation, they intend to delegate virtually the entire certification efforts, saving even more time.

In that same meeting, we talked through the details of the similarity argument we're making to get the SR22 with Aspen PFD and Avidyne DFC90 cert.   The devil is always in the details (and there are a LOT of details with autopilot certs) but the gist of the argument is that since Aspen is certified in the SR2x, the Avidyne DFC90 is certified for the SR2x, the Aspen PFD and Avidyne DFC are certified together in the Cessna 182, then by similarity, the Aspen PFD-Avidyne DFC90 in a Cirrus SR2x will be approved with no flight test or FAA involvement required.  I bet we'll be actively performing that project in the 2nd half of January 2013 now that we have some details hammered out.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 12:48am
any update for the new year?
it's now been 12 months since I prepaid for my DFC90 and IFD540
i'm really hoping the wait is nearly over !

Tim
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2013 at 12:24pm
4 Jan 2013 DFC90 STC Progress Update:

We keep creeping toward the finish line for the first Bonanza DFC90 cert.   We, Avidyne, are the current choke point for the first Bonanza cert.

As noted above, we have borrowed and modified a customer aircraft to have the DFC90 wired in in a fully conformed and certifiable manner.   We were just about to begin the formal, delegated, for-credit flight test when we found a pre-existing non-conformity with the airplane.  We've spent the past few days trying to clear that up and when we're complete, we'll start the formal flight test. That formal flight test should only last a few days and then we submit our final paperwork.

In the meantime, we've also submitted our STC cert plan to the FAA for the SR2x DFC90 STC amendment that adds the Aspen PFD to the STC.  We're waiting on FAA action on that one.  Depending on other FAA workload, we are still hopeful for approval on that one before the end of January, however, we have no confirmation/acknowledgment of that from the FAA yet.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 8:29am
25 Jan 2013 DFC90 STC Progress Update:

Still inching toward the finish line for that first Bonanza (V35) DFC90 cert.   We seem to have gotten through a few airplane conformity/configuration issues with the customer airplane (see BeechTalk thread titled "First Pix of a DFC90 in a Beechcraft" thread if interested).

We've gotten through almost all of the formal for-credit flights and *should* be all done by next week with that.  As a side note, it's been a blessing to have been working with the specific customer who loaned us his airplane - he is exceptionally understanding on the way Integration and Test work and STC efforts that involve tons of moving parts.

As for the rest of the Bonanza and Baron configurations we've stated our gameplan to be, we're still pressing ahead with them.  The level of frustration and length of time involved for these it-shouldn't-be-so-complex-but-it-is integrations and cert is shared by all of us inside and outside the company.   It'll take a while but we'll get through it.   The nature of this stuff means we have more roadblocks ahead of us, some our doing, and a lot not our doing, and we'll likely continue to audible internal ordering and priorities to deal with them but we'll just keep plugging away.

We've got tough sledding still ahead of us but it isn't deterring us.   For those few who have graciously put some money down to secure early pricing, we thank you and want to remind anyone that while your money is safe as can be, you can get it back pronto by just asking.

I hope none of this is interpreted as defensive or in any way back sliding.  It's a heck of a ride toward enlightenment, at least on our end.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 1:16pm
Thanks again for the update,
it really helps our peace of mind to get any news however small, so keep 'em coming.
It's been a long road, and we all know there's a lot more ahead, but this is the most exciting product developed for GA for many years, once the certification process is complete, it will have all been worth it !

Tim Walter
Beech A36TC Aspen/KFC200
still waiting for the day :)

Tim
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 2:25am
How are the Avidyne Servos coming along? Are you planning to offer a Bonanza install kit with brackets for clean sheet installations?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic