Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Release 10.2.3.1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Release 10.2.3.1
    Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:15pm
Many of you may have seen this on Facebook, but here's the official communication for that release:

Avidyne is planning to release IFD software version 10.2.3.1 before the end of March for all models and versions of IFDs. There will also be a new IFD trainer app released shortly that will demonstrate the 10.2.3.1 features. Release 10.2.3.1 will add many new features including the following enhancements:

1. Adds GLAS (GPS Legacy Avionics Support) for support of Proline 21 in CJ and King Air

2. Adds improved ADS-B Weather and Traffic integration with Foreflight

3. Adds ADS-B textual TFRs, AIRMETS and SIGMETS.

4. Adds support for Garmin G5 HSI

5. Adds support for Lynx NGT-9000 Remote Transponder

6. Adds a new zoom mode which provides the ability to display large datablocks and button label text

7. Adds support for both Heads-Up Technologies XMD-076A datalink and GDL 69A SXM

8. Allows for display of datablocks on the SVS pages

9. Improves display and editing features of Airways SIDS and STARS and approaches

10. Adds fuel totalizer function when connected to a remote fuel computer

11. Improved Wi-Fi configuration to ease integration with Stratus, Foreflight and other Wi-Fi connected devices.

The new 10.2.3.1 training application includes all the 10.2.3.1 features, new tutorials on using the system, much more flexibility in "flying" the simulated IFD, easier database loading, and a host of other improvements
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:26pm
Here is a more detailed list of changes:

Interfaces
  Support for Heads-Up Technologies XMD-076A datalink
  Add  improved ADS-B output when connected to Foreflight
  Add support for Garmin G5 HSI
  Scale roll steering for G3X compatibility
  Fix G500 MapMx erroneous SUSP indication
  Add support for NGT9000 remote transponder

Map/SVS
  Changed fuel range ring coloring
  Enhance visibility of range-to-altitude arc *
  Allow datablocks to be shown on the SVS pages *
  Enhance visibility of the next waypoint on the map *

FMS
  Improves display and editing features of Airways, SIDs, STARs, and Approaches *
  Allow "No Transition" for SIDs and STARs *
  Enhance Paste button capability across all FMS pages

AUX
  Added a "zoom" mode for datablocks and button labels
  ETE in datablocks goes to MM:SS when below 10 minutes *
  Eliminate nuisance "Datalink Data Not Rcvd" alerts *
  Enhancements to fuel processing when only a fuel flow sensor is present
  Clarify temperature datablocks (TAT/SAT vs OAT)
  Enhanced user interface for  WiFi (networking) configuration
  Enable touch control of the Map Setup page

Those items marked with a * were implemented as a result of your feedback (primarily from the "Suggestions for 10.3" thread).

Once we get 10.2.3.1 delivered, I'll start another thread for more suggestions - although the existing list is long already!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:48pm
Steve, thanks for the update, looks like a good release. Really appreciate your support.
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 4:52pm
HOLY SMOKES!! We finally have ADS-b WEATHER and traffic from the IFD540 to Foreflight!  I think I am more excited about this than I am all the other freaking awesome additions :-)

Great work guys,  looking forward to getting mine updated as soon as its available.
ttvetdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttvetdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 5:18pm
Excellent update Steve!  Quick novice question - I have a Heads Up XMD-076 receiver.  The information from the XMD is already being 'fed' to my 440, therefore it would simply require changing the settings in with the new update, versus doing any physical re-wiring at the back of my 440 correct? 

Thanks,

Russell
SR22 - KEQY
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2019 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by ttvetdoc ttvetdoc wrote:

I have a Heads Up XMD-076 receiver.  The information from the XMD is already being 'fed' to my 440, therefore it would simply require changing the settings in with the new update, versus doing any physical re-wiring at the back of my 440 correct?
If your XMD-076 receiver is already hooked up, then all you'll have to do is change the settings.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 12:27am
VERY COOL! Love it.

* Orest
ttvetdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttvetdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 8:42am
Is this update going to allow me to switch back and forth between Foreflight and the IFD100 app while connected to my Stratus as a Wifi hub?
SR22 - KEQY
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:01am
Originally posted by ttvetdoc ttvetdoc wrote:

Is this update going to allow me to switch back and forth between Foreflight and the IFD100 app while connected to my Stratus as a Wifi hub?
Yes, the corresponding release of the IFD100 will fix that.  I haven't personally tested it with the Stratus, but that really shouldn't matter since the problem is only on the iPad.  I have tested it when connected directly to the IFD and you can switch back and forth.  There's a delay of a few seconds as the IFD100 re-establishes the connection.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
forkauto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forkauto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 3:03pm
Any idea what my dual G5's will do differently after the update? It says added support but not what is being changed, thanks
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 3:06pm
Nothing really.  That item is included in release notes because the G5 was not specifically called out as supported equipment in the Installation Manual.  Now it will be.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 4:50pm
Steve, you specifically indicate support for the G5 HSI.

Although there are reports of several installations, I haven't seen Avidyne indicate support for the G5 AI. Did I miss something, or is the G5 AI still not officially supported by Avidyne?

I would like to replace my AI with a G5 AI (incl GMU11 & GAD29B) with connections (RS232 & ARINC) to my IFD540. The G5 installation manual has instructions for doing this with a GNS530, including parameter settings, so I expect it to work with the IFD. But having a support statement would provide more of a warm fuzzy. In particular, the G5 outputs ARINC label 204 Baro-corrected Altitude as EFIS/AirData and I want to make sure that the IFD accepts the data for FA/CA/VA (to altitude) leg auto-sequencing. The impression is that the GNS530W would do so.

I have no need for the G5 HSI, as my Sandel 3500 is already more capable.

Edited by chflyer - 14 Feb 2019 at 4:52pm
Vince
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 3:21am
11. Improved Wi-Fi configuration to ease integration with Stratus, Foreflight and other Wi-Fi connected devices.

Can you expound on the Wi-Fi configuration fix?  What does the new firmware acutally do?

I have an IFD540 and my iPads have the IFD100 app as well as Foreflight.  I have configured my IFD540 to be a client on the Stratus 2 network.  Not my preferred setup, making a mult-thousand dollar device dependant on a $900 one that I can't reach in the cockpit since it is mounted in the equipment rack behind the baggage bin.  Is this update going to mess that configuration up?  What difference in functionality will there be?

It sounds like we might not need the Stratus 2 for ADS-B and WX in Foreflight after this update?  Is that correct?
Thanks.
Woo Hoo!!!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 9:12pm
No, it won't mess up that configuration.  The change has to do with the UI for configuring the WiFi network, with the intent of making it easier to manage.  The network(s) will be set up in Maintenance mode and then the network choice will be made in flight mode.  The goal was to make it easy to select network configurations - sort of like choosing a network on your PC or your iPad.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 9:27pm
Thanks Steve.
Looks like v10.2.3.0 will add lots of good stuff.

Tom Wolf
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 3:51am
So what is the exact functionality going to be between Foreflight and the IFD now?
Woo Hoo!!!
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:14am
The IFD has always output Capstone-compliant ADS-B data suitable for use by Foreflight and similar apps.  To date, Foreflight has not used that data stream and, therefore, was unable to display the ADS-B data from the IFD.  In 10.2.3.1, we will output ADS-B data over a different interface, purely to drive Foreflight.  Other IFD-Foreflight capabilities remain unchanged.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:53pm
Just like that old E.F. Hutton commerical....."When we talk, Avidyne listens."   :)
muddy00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddy00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 12:40pm
So being the new guy I assume we will have to have a dealer update the software ?
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 1:22pm
I believe that FAA requires it.  You may be able to install it under an A&P "supervision".
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:58pm

Would you explain this .  Fuel computer? Such as a JPI FS-450, or will only a fuel transducer be needed and the IFD will function as the fuel computer.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Leonard Leonard wrote:

Would you explain this .  Fuel computer? Such as a JPI FS-450, or will only a fuel transducer be needed and the IFD will function as the fuel computer.
My second post (the one with more detail) is more reflective of the actual changes, but even that one was a little vague just saying "enhancements".  That change will allow the IFD to perform fuel flow integration to determine fuel used in an installation where only fuel flow is provided.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

My second post (the one with more detail) is more reflective of the actual changes, but even that one was a little vague just saying "enhancements".  That change will allow the IFD to perform fuel flow integration to determine fuel used in an installation where only fuel flow is provided.

Still scratching my head..
 I've read the second post before posting, thus the above  question.
I've been wanting to incorporate a fuel flow computer in a R-44II. However I have no room in the panel for the display. Looking at the 540's fuel management in the Saratoga, my AI and I were thinking about either relocating the panel hobbs meter to the side of the instrument panel as some are and using the hobbs hole for the Fuel managements display,  Or remote mounting the display and have the IFD as the display.

What I'm hoping you are saying is that all that will be  needed is the fuel flow sensor for fuel management.
WOW, now my head hurts.

Edited by Leonard - 19 Feb 2019 at 10:10pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:11pm

WOW, now my head hurts.
So did mine, so I went to the source and asked the engineer who is most familiar with the fuel system.  He says you'll still need some unit that sends fuel flow to the IFD (e.g. a DAU, data concentrator, fuel computer) since the IFD doesn't interface directly with fuel flow transducers.

The fuel flow integration feature is implemented in software and allows us to display fuel used and fuel remaining from DAU/computers which only send fuel flow.  Previously, you would not see Fuel Used and Fuel Remaining from those units, which tend to be the simpler devices you would want for blind mount.

So this change might help you a little bit, but you will still need an external box to interface between the IFD and the fuel flow probe.

Edited by AviSteve - 19 Feb 2019 at 5:12pm
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Freff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:23pm
Hello

Can you please explain:
"Adds support for Lynx NGT-9000 Remote Transponder"

Has this somehow been changed since the previous version?  I have been using the NGT-9000 for ADS-B weather and traffic display on the IFD-540 for quite a while.

Thanks
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Freff Freff wrote:

Can you please explain:
"Adds support for Lynx NGT-9000 Remote Transponder"
The key word is "remote".  10.2.3.1 adds the capability for the IFD to control a remote mounted NGT9000.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:03pm
There's a product called NGT-9000R that doesn't have a display. This is the remote NGT-9000:

I'm surprised the list price is only $60 less than the NGT-9000. 
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 10:16pm

WOW, now my head hurts.
So did mine, so I went to the source and asked the engineer who is most familiar with the fuel system.  He says you'll still need some unit that sends fuel flow to the IFD (e.g. a DAU, data concentrator, fuel computer) since the IFD doesn't interface directly with fuel flow transducers.

The fuel flow integration feature is implemented in software and allows us to display fuel used and fuel remaining from DAU/computers which only send fuel flow.  Previously, you would not see Fuel Used and Fuel Remaining from those units, which tend to be the simpler devices you would want for blind mount.

So this change might help you a little bit, but you will still need an external box to interface between the IFD and the fuel flow probe.

Steve.... Thank You
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:29am
Let me help to simplify what Avidyne is saying. Until this release the IFD will display only fuel information sent to it by the 3rd party fuel computers like JPI, EI, Shadin, etc.  if the computer didn’t send fuel remaining, you didn’t see it on the IFD. With this new release, for those situations where the IFD receives only fuel flow information and not fuel remaining, fuel used, etc. the IFD will now do those computations itself and present the information.

The difference is in what device - either the 3rd party, or now the IFD are the calculation off of the fuel flow information being done.  You still need the 3rd party fuel computer to read and manage the fuel flow sensor(s) and send the flow information to the IFD.

Edited by Gring - 20 Feb 2019 at 6:32am
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:11am
and in 10.3 when we get timer alerts based on fuel burn this capability is going to be even more useful!

Side note: having the range ring on your IFD is a life-changing feature. It is immensely helpful for situational awareness. It's well worth the investment of a monitor.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:20am

FMS
  Improves display and editing features of Airways, SIDs, STARs, and Approaches *

I think this is the one I'm most interested in.  I'll ask if you can give more details on that feature as well, but what i think would be easier and we'd appreciate here is an updated manual with revision bars.  That way we can read the changes there without having to re-read the entire thing trying to pick out the updates.

Edited by brou0040 - 20 Feb 2019 at 9:20am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 9:48am
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

I think this is the one I'm most interested in.  I'll ask if you can give more details on that feature as well, but what i think would be easier and we'd appreciate here is an updated manual with revision bars.  That way we can read the changes there without having to re-read the entire thing trying to pick out the updates.
Yep, that's the one you're interested in.  However, figuring it out from the Pilots Guide update won't be so easy.  There is currently a PG for every model of IFD and that's way to hard to maintain.  Going forward there will be only two versions - one for the IFD400 series and another for the 500 series.  We considered having just one version, but decided against that mainly because of the differences in bezel height and how that affected the pictures in the document.  Anyway, because of the scope of change, there are no change bars.

Here's a synopsis of the changes to flight planning:

1. Procedure brackets will reflect the fact that a waypoint is shared between two procedures.  For instance, if you have an airway that ends at ABQ and an approach that starts at ABQ, the bracket for the airway will end and the bracket for the approach will start "in the middle" of the ABQ leg.

2. A missed approach will not combine legs with a subseqent approach.

3. Legs with the same identifier but different altitude constraints will not combine.

4. In some cases where legs are combined, there is an option to "Restore Gap" that will cause the legs to be uncombined.  Don't get used to this one.  The need for it will most likely go away in a subsequent release as we continue to improve flight planning.

5. Some waypoints within terminal area procedures can now be deleted.  Again, this is a step improvement.  The rules will likely be loosened even more in a subsequent release.

6. Most departures and arrivals now have an option to enter "No transition".  Whether it is presented as an option is dependent upon the structure of the procedure in the database.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 11:29am

Here's a synopsis of the changes to flight planning ...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! No more need for "tricks" (like inserting bogus waypoints inbetween) to keep wayponts from merging, under a number of circumstances.

Love it. 

* Orest
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 1:18pm

Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Yep, that's the one you're interested in.  However, figuring it out from the Pilots Guide update won't be so easy.  There is currently a PG for every model of IFD and that's way to hard to maintain.  Going forward there will be only two versions - one for the IFD400 series and another for the 500 series.  We considered having just one version, but decided against that mainly because of the differences in bezel height and how that affected the pictures in the document.  Anyway, because of the scope of change, there are no change bars.

Here's a synopsis of the changes to flight planning:

1. Procedure brackets will reflect the fact that a waypoint is shared between two procedures.  For instance, if you have an airway that ends at ABQ and an approach that starts at ABQ, the bracket for the airway will end and the bracket for the approach will start "in the middle" of the ABQ leg.

2. A missed approach will not combine legs with a subseqent approach.

3. Legs with the same identifier but different altitude constraints will not combine.

4. In some cases where legs are combined, there is an option to "Restore Gap" that will cause the legs to be uncombined.  Don't get used to this one.  The need for it will most likely go away in a subsequent release as we continue to improve flight planning.

5. Some waypoints within terminal area procedures can now be deleted.  Again, this is a step improvement.  The rules will likely be loosened even more in a subsequent release.

6. Most departures and arrivals now have an option to enter "No transition".  Whether it is presented as an option is dependent upon the structure of the procedure in the database.

WOW!!! This is going to be awesome Steve... THANKS to the Avidyne team for this release... 

Doug
N208LG
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

Let me help to simplify what Avidyne is saying. Until this release the IFD will display only fuel information sent to it by the 3rd party fuel computers like JPI, EI, Shadin, etc.  if the computer didn’t send fuel remaining, you didn’t see it on the IFD. With this new release, for those situations where the IFD receives only fuel flow information and not fuel remaining, fuel used, etc. the IFD will now do those computations itself and present the information.

The difference is in what device - either the 3rd party, or now the IFD are the calculation off of the fuel flow information being done.  You still need the 3rd party fuel computer to read and manage the fuel flow sensor(s) and send the flow information to the IFD.
Gring,
If this is true thank you for clearing this up. Kinda what I thought just wishful thinking needing to install only a fuel transducer.  The G-3 in the Toga sends all that info to the IFD. I'm in no hurry to install a fuel totalizer in the 44. I'll just wait until the latest IFD update is installed in both units and see how it performs in the Toga and  if there is anything new that I don't already have.
Leonard
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:26pm

Woohoo!  These are very exciting to me.  My EFB software is unencumbered by the requirements of certification, and has let me do these things for years now.  It will be nice to have (or eventually have) this flexibility with the IFD!
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 10:19am
" 11. Improved Wi-Fi configuration to ease integration with Stratus, Foreflight and other Wi-Fi connected devices "

Does this mean that we would be able to display weather and traffic from something like a Stratus 3 on an IFD screen without using another app like Foreflight?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Flybuddy Flybuddy wrote:

" 11. Improved Wi-Fi configuration to ease integration with Stratus, Foreflight and other Wi-Fi connected devices "

Does this mean that we would be able to display weather and traffic from something like a Stratus 3 on an IFD screen without using another app like Foreflight?
No, it just means that it's easier to configure the WiFi on the IFD.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ttvetdoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttvetdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 1:42pm
Hey Steve,

Any update on the progress of the 10.2.3.1 update?  One of the Avidyne liaison's on the Cirrus forum mention a few weeks ago that there was some thought about waiting and rolling the 10.2.3.1 update into a larger 10.3 update more towards the middle of the year.  Not sure if there is any truth to that.

Thanks,

Russell
SR22 - KEQY
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 1:59pm
No truth to that.  We're doing final cert documents as we speak.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Katamarino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katamarino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 1:07am
Nice. I'm hoping to update my software before starting my round-the-world flight on May 6th..!
Baronpilot48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baronpilot48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 8:50pm
My Baron had the "mandatory patch" installed a few weeks ago.  The avionics shop, an Avidyne dealer, that there was NO word on when 10.2.3.1 will be released.  The only thing I got from the "mandatory patch" was the joy of having my IFD 540 now freezing up.  After today's flight I'll spend my Monday trying to get Avidyne tech support on the phone, something I'm not looking forward to.  As far a 10.2.3.1 I'll be surprised to see it by mid 2019.  Hopefully someone on this forum has some truthful insight and answers.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Baronpilot48 Baronpilot48 wrote:

As far a 10.2.3.1 I'll be surprised to see it by mid 2019.  Hopefully someone on this forum has some truthful insight and answers.

Why do you say that?  The bug in the software has been fixed and all paperwork is being submitted to the FAA now.  It should not be much longer at all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baronpilot48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 2:09pm
I made the statement I made because it's been my experience over past two and half years I've had m IFD 540 in my Baron.  Don't get me wrong it's a great unit but, again in my experience, updates come out long after they are promised and it's difficult if not impossible to get tech support on the phone.  I have had great success speaking with Joe in sales who was my first contact at Avidyne.  For now my unit is suffering from a few problems that I'm hoping 10.2.3.1 will solve.  The mandatory "patch" caused new problems.  I like nothing better from Avidyne than to speak with an engineer who might be able to address the issues I'm having.   As of this writing I have no idea of how to accomplish this or when 10.2.3.1 will really be available.  
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:55pm
Wow customer service has been amazing at Avidyne There must be a reason you have had problems with customer service. I have never talked to any one or any shop that had trouble getting hold of customer service. In fact during my installation I had the senior vp of engineering call me on a Saturday afternoon from his cell phone from the middle of a lake while he was fishing. It just does not get better than that. 
Dave
Alouicious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alouicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 12:31am
Agree with Dave:  Customer service from the Avidyne folks is very responsive!  Sorry to hear about Baronpilot48's experience.  Doesn't reflect mine.  
As to the timing of new firmware:  Ambition and expectation gets trampled by FAA bureaucracy.  Sometimes it seems the FAA folks that oversee Avidyne are being paid by 'G' and others...  Just sayin'...  However, it does give a bit of comfort that the delays allow the engineers to squash any potential bugs.
Just give thanks that all the interactions and information available exist!  And in just a few 'clicks'.

Be happy! Your choice.
migs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote migs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:00pm
Other than the change in the manual, have there been any changes to the software regarding the G5? I have a G5 HSI, a KAP140 autopilot and an IFD540. Since the G5 was installed the autopilot cannot track a VOR course. It can track the localizer, and a GPS course, but not a VOR course.

Is Avidyne aware of this issue? Are any software changes coming in with the next release related to this problem?

Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baronpilot48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:00am
Felt compelled to post an update to my earlier admittedly frustrated post.  This Monday I reached out to Avidyne via their main phone number and was informed that they were updating their telephone system, certainly understandable.  Through the main number I was immediately connected to a guy who patiently heard me out and passed me on to Chris.  After explaining the issues I was having with my IFD 540 Chris said "whatever the problems are they will get to the bottom of it and solve all of them".  She and the engineers have apparently been working diligently, as promised.  I'm not beyond admitting I was wrong, and I was.  I owe Avidyne and the members of this forum an apology, which I humbly offer.  Now I remember why I choose my IFD 540 in the first place.  If it turns out that I was causing the problems I'll own that here as well.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baronpilot48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 12:02am
BTW:  I'll post the outcome here, hopefully it will benefit others as well.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 8:23am
Christine can fix anything.

* Orest
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic