Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SkyTrax100B - Updates?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SkyTrax100B - Updates?
    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 1:43pm
Any update from Avidyne on this? 
The last i heard was that there is inventory waiting for FAA approval; I was told by a 'higher up' that approval was supposed to be early Q1. 

Just wondering if there was any updates to that information. I figure since we are 'insiders' we should be the first to know ;)
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 1:58pm
Well, just for the insiders...  I don't want to jinx it, but it's close.  
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 2:13pm
Is that a dual-band SkyTrax? I would be very interested in one. Hopefully close means within a couple of months. I was getting ready to rip out the current Skytrax and an AXP-340 in favor of (GASP!) a Garmin device.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:39pm
No, straight up replacement for the existing SkyTrax100.  G*, sigh.  But I understand.  Have you considered the NGT9000 (either panel or remote)?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:55pm
If I’m going to spend that much money, I think the new GTX375 transponder gives me a little more that the NGT9000. Backup GPS, dual band In, AHRS. I wasn’t all that impressed with the NGT9000 in the plane I flew to get my commercial certificate. I’ve also heard some people complain about the WiFi in the NGT9000, but I’m not sure how widespread that problem is. The GTX345 is nice too, at a lower price point. 

I would really like it if Avidyne could provide a dual-band In solution to pair with the AXP-340. I don’t really want to rip it out of the panel. I think it is a nice transponder. 

Any idea what happened to the Freeflight dual-band unit? The only place I can find it is in one of their brochures. If it worked well with the IFD, it could probably replace my Skytrax100. 

Edited by HenryM - 11 Apr 2019 at 9:00pm
bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 10:35am
Agree — seems hardly debatable that there is demand for a dual-band IN solution.
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 7:43am
Originally posted by bellanca1730a bellanca1730a wrote:

Agree — seems hardly debatable that there is demand for a dual-band IN solution.
+1.  I installed the MLB100, but I was disappointed that it wasn't dual-band, and wouldn't have done it except that I was trying to support Avidyne.  Most customers are probably not so altruistic.

Edited by MysticCobra - 16 Apr 2019 at 7:43am
AviJason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 10:33am
AVIDYNE RECEIVES FAA-PMA APPROVAL OF SKYTRAX100B ADS-B RECEIVER

https://www.avidyne.com/news/press.asp?release=364
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:41pm
Is there any description somewhere of the functional differences, if any, between the MLB100/Skytrax100 and the SkyTrax100B?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:15pm
Doesn’t appear to be dual frequency.
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:17pm
I expect it is the official rebadged Freeflight box, vice just shipping the retail Freeflight units.

* Orest
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by AviJason AviJason wrote:

https://www.avidyne.com/news/press.asp?release=364

The release states that The SkyTrax100B is a 978 MHz ADS-B receiver that provides FIS-B Weather and ADS-B/ADS-R/TIS-B Traffic for Avidyne EX-Series Multifunction displays

The MLB press release stated the same thing over 4 years ago, we installed the Skytrax 100 in June 2016 but the MFD so far is not able to display ADS-B weather or traffic. Is the release 8.2.2 for the EX MFD ready to support that statement? 

Avidyne Press Release

SkyTrax100B provides FIS-B Weather and ADS-B Traffic for Avidyne Displays.

Melbourne, FL – Thursday, May 16, 2019 – Avidyne Corporation, a leading provider of integrated avionics systems, displays, and safety systems for general aviation aircraft, announced they have received a Federal Aviation Administration - Parts Manufacturing Authorization (FAA-PMA) approval for their new SkyTrax100B ADS-B Receiver. 

The SkyTrax100B is a 978 MHz ADS-B receiver that provides FIS-B Weather and ADS-B/ADS-R/TIS-B Traffic for Avidyne EX-Series Multifunction displays and IFD Series of FMS/GPS/NAV/COMs. 

AviJason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 10:09pm
The ST100b pilot's guide can be found here.

https://www.avidyne.com/files/downloads/600-00334-000-rev0.pdf

Edited by AviJason - 31 May 2019 at 10:10pm
kgrant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 8:07am
I just downloaded the Pilot Guide for the 100B.  Maybe I just caught this but the radar feed is composite. Is that a limitation of the ADS-B weather input?

I had become accustomed to the WSI Base reflectivity. At the lower flight levels I use, it's my preference. k
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:27am
Is the SkyTrax 100B just a PMA of the Navworks MLB100 design?  or another way to put it, is this the Navworks design just manufacture by Avidyne?
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 8:48am
Yep, FIS-B weather radar is composite-only. SXM makes a big deal of this (see https://siriusxmcommunications.com/sxmaviation/daretocompare.html#Composite)
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 9:22am
SkyTrax100B is designed and manufactured by Avidyne.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 10:56am
Does it provide any additional functions over the SkyTrax100? Any reason a SkyTrax100 owner would want to upgrade?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2019 at 11:00am
No
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:07pm
Does the ST100B provide audio alerts for traffic?
In the original certification of the MLB100/IFD540 combination, it was the IFD that supplied the traffic audio.  In one of the IFD software updates, the traffic audio was removed from the IFD and the given reason was that traffic audio wasn't part of the IFD certification standards (TSOs) and that the audio should have been sourced from the receiver itself.
So if Avidyne is now making the receiver, I would hope that they put in the audio traffic alerts that they removed from my IFD.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 4:30pm
The ST100B has been designed to exactly replace the NavWorx.  Future versions will increase capability (hopefully even the aurals).
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

The ST100B has been designed to exactly replace the NavWorx.  Future versions will increase capability (hopefully even the aurals).
Any chance that means the two boxes (NavWorx and Avidyne) will be software-compatible, so that legacy MLB100 owners can look forward to the same features in future software updates?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 5:53am
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Any chance that means the two boxes (NavWorx and Avidyne) will be software-compatible, so that legacy MLB100 owners can look forward to the same features in future software updates?

He raises a good question: If the Skytrax B series continues, what about the original Navworx-branded boxes?  Will they be supported, or are they orphaned?  Can those of us who bought the original box expect support in the way of software updates, and the sort of enhancements which might come to the B-series?
David Gates
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 11:43am
I am not 100% sure but I don't think the original 100 boxes had an audio output. I am on shaky ground here, but ISTR a discussion here claiming that the problem with aural alerts from the IFD+SkyTrax100 was that the audio alert was generated by the IFD based on data from the SkyTrax, and that doesn't meet the TSO requirements. 

Take that with a huge grain of salt, although it's interesting that the NGT9000 does aural traffic callouts. I don't know what's required to get them on a GTNx50, although I've read that a 430+GTX335 can do it.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 6:12pm
The software in original SkyTrax100 boxes cannot be updated.  I'm not sure what programs might be offered to original SkyTrax100 owners.  I suggest calling sales for those answers.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2019 at 11:55pm
The Skytrax 100B does not seem to have an audio output or connection to the audio panel
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 5:38am
I asked a similar question on the Avidyne Pilots Club Facebook group:  "I bought a MLB100 back in the day. Now Avi has introduced the SkyTrax 100B, which is designed and manufactured by Avidyne. That means Avi will be able to update its software, which offers some tantalizing possibilities. 

Is Avidyne going to offer an upgrade path for previous MLB100 owners?"

The response was unequivocal: "We will offer an upgrade path in the future for MLB100 and ST100 owners. And yes we can update it so those tantalizing possibilities likely will become a reality somewhere down the line. No timeline or anything to share yet."

So there you have it, straight from what I presume is the CXP or sales folks and not engineering.

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 7:59am
The response I got from Avi customer relations:

Yes. The Skytrax100B has the same functionality as the MLB100 so as long as your MLB100 is working properly, I would encourage you to not make any changes at this time. With that said, we will absolutely have a path for our MLB100 customers to move to and take advantage of the Skytrax product features as they improve. 
David Gates
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 9:57am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

...we will absolutely have a path for our MLB100 customers to move to ...

good news indeed, because I was afraid the path I was on was labeled "Garmin GTX345."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic