Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does the Skytrax 100 support the new FIS-B weather
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does the Skytrax 100 support the new FIS-B weather

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does the Skytrax 100 support the new FIS-B weather
    Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 8:11pm
I was wondering if the Skytrax 100 supports receiving and sending the new FIS-B weather products that were released a few months back (lightening, cloud tops, etc).  

If so, does it send those to the IFD540 without any new firmwares on either unit?  

Does the IFD540 pass the information along its wi-fi connection to tablets and EFBs?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 9:25pm
If the data is in the stream, the Skytrax 100 will forward it along.  The IFD will not decode it yet.  The IFD will forward it though.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 11:11pm
Thanks Steve! I use ForeFlight so I am waiting on the upcoming release to start getting WX and TFC from my IFD.  
markpavinich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markpavinich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:38pm
All of our equipment is at the latest software levels. 5/2019
  1. Went flying and did not see any of the new weather products. 
  2. NO Lightning strikes displayed on the IFD 540 when using the MLB100 
  3. The Garmin GDL 39R using FIS-B displayed and updated the lightning strikes as advertised. 

markpavinich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markpavinich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:46pm
Scenarios:

1. We purchased the MLB100 with our Avidyne AXP322 and IFD 540.

2. Also, we have a GDL39R being used with Garmin Pilot. 

3. What we have noticed on the Garmin Pilot with a GDL-39 since around mid-2018, after the update, we now have access and can utilize the new FIS-B weather products are available such as the following:
  • Lightning
  • Turbulence
  • Icing
  • Cloud Tops
  • Graphical AIRMET
  • Center Weather Advisory

4. My question is since MLB unit is a NAVWORX unit and NAVWORX is out of business, will the MLB100 units receive any updates via Avidyne and/or any other 3rd party source that may take on these units.

If no, then basically, we have invested into a product (that is only a couple of years old) that will not provide any current FIS-B functionality.

OR

5. Will these new FIS-B WX products become available via a firmware update to the IFD 540?

Now for another scenario 

6.  Will the Garmin GTX 345R be on the potential list to work with the IFD540?  This will allow us to remove both the AXP-322 and MLB100 and go down to 1 unit in lieu of 2.  

7.  In addition to question #6 (if and when the 345R would be allowed to work) will the newer ADS-B products be supported with the IFD unit?

Overall it seems like the IFD unit will need a firmware update to support the newer ADS-B features since many of these features are consider map overlays that the end-user can toggle off and on. 

8.  Regardless if you fly with a Garmin GTN or Avidyne IFD series, why can't you have Winds aloft and FIS-B Radar displayed both at the same time?  On the inexpensive Garmin Pilot app you can display both at the same time, but not on our $$,$$$ GPS units.

9.  On the IFD100 will the newer FIS-B products be available?

10  The Skytrax 100 is not the same as the MLB100.  The Skytrax Box is a unit designed by Freeflight, which also probably supports future upgrades, etc.  If I am wrong let me know.

Overall, this makes me mad since the Avidyne Rep. suggested that we purchased the MLB 100, to earn our business and to keep us from buying a Garmin ADS-B solution.  Now, we discovered in approximately 1 year from date of purchase that the MLB100 manufacturer was far less than an ethical Avidyne service partner and went out of business due to shady and bad affairs, law suites, and pressure from the FAA.

#11  Will there be any attempts to offer the MLB100 users the newer software level support or a transition upgrade path to the Skytrax unit?

Sorry, I do not fly with Foreflight; although, I do have the Foreflight APP. Foreflight users are welcome to chime in just as long the points are related to this post.  The same goes for Garmin GTN, Avidyne IFD users, and/or any other FIS-B equipment and application that is applicable.  

This posting is not about which unit is better or worst; however, the objective is to determine and/or gather information and functionality based on the details depicted within this posting.

Thank you.

Edited by markpavinich - 31 May 2019 at 1:48pm
Msieger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msieger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 10:36am
Avisteve,

Are there any updates on this pathway?? I have three MLB100s that could use the new information.

Mike
Mike
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Msieger Msieger wrote:

Are there any updates on this pathway?? I have three MLB100s that could use the new information.
Nothing new.  The MLB100 should receive and forward the data for the new FIS-B products.  IFD 10.2.3.1 software does not process those new products, though.  We're working on that.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Msieger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msieger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 5:18pm
OK thanks

Mike
Mike
Flying_Monkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 12:34am
is there any update on this?  I have an IFD540, Skytrax100 and Foreflight.  Avidyne IFD in server mode shares ADSB info and GPS position to iPad Foreflight.  Should I expect to see lightning on Foreflight?  On the IFD540?  Not yet?  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic