Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 440 configured with GTX345 settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 440 configured with GTX345 settings
    Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:58am
I had my IFD wiring done to connect my GTX345 to my IFD440 for ads-b traffic and weather, I was getting traffic in but no weather on my 440. Since I had the line ran for weather I hadn't taken the time to troubleshoot the settings to get weather in until the other day after doing the 10.2.3.1 update. The update went fine, but now I'm not getting any ADS-b and my GTX345 has a message "no 1090es", so obviously I have something wrong in the settings. I do have pictures of all my settings pages before the update from my IFD440, but want to get it all configured correctly so I have traffic and weather in on my 440 and IFD100.

I plan on calling Avidyne tech support but does anyone no how they're configured for settings between the IFD440 and GTX345?

Rocket Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocket Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 11:09am
I too would like to know.

I have a IFD440 with a Garmin GTX345R and I cant get Wx and traffic. 
Must be somewhere in the settings. I hope.
Bob
IFD 440
Beech Sierra
GBSoren71965 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 5:48pm
I made it down to my hanger to do some trouble shooting today. I have it so everything is working except my ADS-b WX in from GTX345. I don't get ADS-b signal on the ground, so I did a short flight, maybe 25 minutes, so I may just need a longer flight so the WX has time to load. 

Because I have a G5 that uses my channel 1 RS-232 out, I can't go right off the config they have on the service information letter. So, I have ADS-B+ (G2) in line 2 out, and my Capstone WX is set in RS-232 channel 4 in.

I'll report back when I get a chance to take a longer flight.
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:04pm
I am having a very similar issue.  

I had a 345 installed and  was at v10.2.0.0.A on the IFDs (I have two 540s).    I was getting ADS-B Position IFD-540 -> 345 and Traffic:  345 ->  IFDs.  But no weather.  

After the 10.2.3.1 install, nothing is working, no traffic, or weather OR GPS.  Transponder showing
"No 1090ES TX".  

I have the settings as follows:

 IFDXXX RS232 output setting: ADS-B+ (G2)…. GTX 345 RS 232 input setting: ADS-B+ FMT 2

 IFDXXX RS232 input setting: Capstone HS Wx …. GTX 345 RS 422 output setting: Optimized Legacy ADS-B    (on this one, the IFD seems to only have "Capstone WX"   (No HS). 

 IFDXXX ARINC429 receive setting: GDL 88 Traffic at High Speed…. GTX 345 ARINC429 transmit setting: Traffic 

I am hoping to fly again tomorrow, and triple check all settings, etc. 

Ken

eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:37am
Try using “MX FMT 1”, instead of “Optimized Legacy ADSB” on the 345.

Gene
Gene
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 7:13am
I don’t have a GTX345, but perhaps my experience will help.

I have an Avidyne SkyTrax100 receiver (also called MLB 100) for ADS-B In, and an Avidyne transponder for ADS-B Out. 

My original setup had Traffic coming over ARINC-429 (In 1 set to MLB 100 Traffic) and Weather over RS-232 Input Channel 3 (set to MLB100 Wx). This displayed an older version of of traffic targets that were just small magenta diamonds. Getting traffic over RS-232 would allow more information to be displayed, and even provide speed vectors to the traffic display. It is much nicer than what is available over the ARINC interface. 

I went in and set ARINC-429 data for In 1 to off. I then changed RS232 CHNL 4 In from MLB 100 Wx to SkyTrax Trfc+Wx. This gave me the better traffic display. There were other settings available, like Capstone and the like. You might want to change over from ARINC to RS232 for the GTX345. 

In talking to technical support, I learned that in my system, RS-232 CHNL 2 Output was used to provide position information to my ADS-B Out (an Avidyne AXP-340) and needed to be set to ADS-B(Avi). CHNL 3 Out was used for the ADS-B receiver. It was set to Aviation, but could be changed to ADS-B+(G) if I changed a setting in the receiver too. Aviation is an older format, but seems to be accurate enough for traffic display. 

What I see in all this is that you have to program the IFD to provide position information to the transponder, and you need to select the same format on the transponder side.

You can then transport traffic and weather into the IFD. In my case, traffic was coming over the ARINC429 interface, and weather over RS232. Having both traffic and weather over RS232 gives more information and a more pleasing (to me) traffic display. My understanding is that the use of RS232 for both traffic and weather came with a recent firmware upgrade to the IFD540. Initially, the ARINC429 interface was required. 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 10:04am
Thanks Henry, 

Yes, that would be ideal if it would transmit both traffic and weather on the same RS-232 channel, but I don't believe there is a setting for that with the GTX345. I could very well be wrong though. 

My current settings in my IFD:

ARINC 429 in 1: High speed GDL 88 Traffic
RS-232 1 out: Map MX (for G5)
RS-232 2 out: ADS-B + (G2)
RS-232 3 in and out used for MVP50P
RS-232 4 in: Capstone Wx

Current settings in GTX345:

ARNIC 429 out: Traffic
RS-232 in 1: ADSB+ FMT 2
RS-422 out: MX FMT 1

Like I had said in an earlier post, I'm getting traffic on my IFD440, but it appears to be only the transmitted traffic from ground stations, no plane to plane like I get on Garmin Pilot directly from the GTX345. I do not think I'm getting weather on my IFD, but I do have it on Garmin Pilot.

Any help from tech support would be appreciated!

Gary

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:33pm
Have you looked at what RS-232 CHNL 4 In are on the IFD? Is there one with Trfc+Wx that could work? There were quite a few options the last time I looked. 

I didn't make any cabling changes. I just turned off ARINC 429 and changed the RS232 CHNL 4 input from something that said Wx to something that said Tfc+Wx. Of course the 345 would also need the correct output setting.

Is there a typo in "RS-422 out: MX FMT 1"? It should be RS-232, right?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:56pm
On the GTX345, it is a RS-422 out line, the line comes in to the IFD440 on RS-232 channel 4, according to my guy that installed the MVP50p, he also added the line for WX in on the IFD.  
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 2:13pm
In my setup, the WX line can also carry traffic, if properly configured. I just had to change the setting on the IFD. Apparently both traffic and weather were already on that line (CHNL 4 Input to the IFD). I did have to turn off the ARINC 429 traffic input, though.

This might not apply to the GTX345. I'm just throwing out how it works on my system, in case it helps. I have no knowledge of the Garmin product.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 2:42pm
I'll give it a try, and thanks for the advise if my current setup doesn't work.

All Garmin will do to help is say "take out the IFD440 and replace with GTN 650"

swdunne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swdunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 6:08pm
GBSoren did you ever get your GTX345 and IFD to work?  I had exactly same problem but was on SW version 10.2.0.0 and TIS B was crossed out.  Just finished upgrading directly to 10.2.3.1 and have same problem as you.  TIS B no longer crossed out but still no weather.  I flew for about an hour today and nothing.  All works fine on Garmin Pilot.  And yes Garmin said I needed to purchase a 650...yeah right

If you got them to work i would love to hear about it.  BTW I also have G5 so had similar configuration differences, i.e. use Channel 4 IN for  Capstone HS Wx because 2 Out was going to G5 and Channel 3 going to JPI fuel flow.  Also, I made recommended configuration changes per the version 10.2.3.1 installation instructions .
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 1:06pm
See wiring for IFD to GTX 345, different for 10.2 and 10.2.3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic