Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

10.2.3.1 with FlyQ EFB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m016576 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10.2.3.1 with FlyQ EFB
    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 3:01pm
is anyone seeing connection or flight plan transfer issues with WiFi between an IFD440/540 10.2.3.1 and FlyQ EFB after the update?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 6:45pm
I have updated to v10.2.3.1, but even though I have FlyQ, I have been hesitant to try flight-plan transfers until Seattle Avionics announces a bug fix... Prior to v10.2.3.1, downloading from IFD to FlyQ just wiped out the FlyQ flight plan, and uploading of flight plan didn't work.

Have been using FF for seamless flightplan transfers... but will try FlyQ transfer on next flight just to see.... I am skeptical though.

Tom W.
Zeddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:31pm
I also use FlyQ and have had problems with the WiFi connection after updating to 10.2.3.1.  Both of my iPads and iPhone show the IFD 540 WiFI connected in the settings but FlyQ keep connecting and disconnecting every several seconds and FlyQ is no longer able to received a GPS signal from the IFD540. I also am no longer able to receive a GPS signal on WingX or Fltpln GO.

In addition,  prior to 10.2.3.1 I have never been able to displays traffic only WX on FlyQ . My Transponder/ADS-B unit is a GTX345.  I know its not FlyQ or my devices as both of my iPads and iPhone work perfectly in a friends airplane equipped with a IFD540 and GTX345.

I have been working with Avidyne Tech support for 6 month...no joy.
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:33pm
same challenge
Dave
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 8:02am
FlyQ will not work on the same WIFI connection with IFD540. It will constantly disconnect and reconnect. 
This is a known bug with Seattle Avionics. 
Zeddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:04am
I was able to successfully connect FlyQ to the IFD540's WiFi network and use the app for navigation and WX prior to updating to 10.2.3.1
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 8:15pm
Sorry for any mis information.
To clarify, I was referring to setting the Avidyne to remote connecting to a third party WIFI with both the Avidyne and the FlyQ connecting to the WIFI source. 
Per my understanding Seattle avionics FlyQ does not like to play nice with others. It will constantly disconnect and re-connect in this scenario.

I have always used IFD100 to connect and work with the panel mount units it just seems the best way for flight plans, control, data transfer etc. 
m016576 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m016576 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 6:04am
Originally posted by Zeddy Zeddy wrote:

I was able to successfully connect FlyQ to the IFD540's WiFi network and use the app for navigation and WX prior to updating to 10.2.3.1
Same with me.
m016576 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m016576 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 6:19am
Originally posted by Cruiser Cruiser wrote:

Sorry for any mis information.
To clarify, I was referring to setting the Avidyne to remote connecting to a third party WIFI with both the Avidyne and the FlyQ connecting to the WIFI source. 
Per my understanding Seattle avionics FlyQ does not like to play nice with others. It will constantly disconnect and re-connect in this scenario.

I have always used IFD100 to connect and work with the panel mount units it just seems the best way for flight plans, control, data transfer etc. 

I’m referring to just a standard WiFi connection to the avidyne IFD.

It worked great prior to the update.  The point of my post was to ascertain whether I should contact Seattle Avionics to report the “new behavior.”

The IFD100 app is OK, but it doesn’t hold a candle to an actual EFB, like FlyQ, which has a full library of charts, overlays, full flight planning features, publications library, powerful optimized routing capability, better user interface, split screen capability, synthetic vision display, built in TAWS displays, TFR displays, robust weather displays... shall I go on?

I’m happy that avidyne provides a free app to interface with the IFD and also glad you find it useful- but my question is about what other FlyQ users are seeing since the software update.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 9:36am
I wasn't aware of any issues induced by 10.2.3.1 with respect to FlyQ, but we'll check it out.  I hesitate to blame FlyQ right away.  It seems a little too coincidental that these reports started occurring after an IFD update.  As usual, the changes in 10.2.3.1 *shouldn't* have had any impact to FlyQ, but you know how that goes.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
m016576 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m016576 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:20am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

I wasn't aware of any issues induced by 10.2.3.1 with respect to FlyQ, but we'll check it out.  I hesitate to blame FlyQ right away.  It seems a little too coincidental that these reports started occurring after an IFD update.  As usual, the changes in 10.2.3.1 *shouldn't* have had any impact to FlyQ, but you know how that goes.

Thanks!  For the record- my ifd100 app seems to work just fine after the update, but FlyQ is continuously connecting and disconnecting itself every 5-10 seconds.  It’s also only showing that it’s connected to ads-b now- not avidyne IFD, like it should be.  I’ve reached out to Seattle Avionics customer support over this as well.  Please let me know if you need any additional details.  
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 1:01am
This is what Seattle avionics sent to me about the problem I have not tried it yet

Here's the required iPad configuration to optimize performance on the next flight.

1. Verify iOS is up-to-date. (12.3.1)
  2. Verify FlyQ EFB is up-to-date. (3.3.1)
  3. Close/Exit/Quit all open apps. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330
  4. Reboot iOS device. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559
  5. iPad Settings app = Airplane Mode= ON
  6. iPad Settings app = Bluetooth = OFF
  7. iPad Settings app = Cellular Data = OFF (required, if equipped)
  8. iPad Settings app = Wi-Fi= ON
  9. iPad Settings app = Connect to IFD
Dave
m016576 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m016576 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2019 at 3:23am
They sent me the same thing- I haven’t tried it yet either.  I have definitely been using Bluetooth while using the iPad (that’s what I’ve been streaming music into the cabin with)... maybe that’s the issue?  We’ll see!
Zeddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 9:47pm
I tried the recommended procedure from Seattle Avionics, but it did not work for me.  It will be interesting to see if it does the trick for your installation.
m016576 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m016576 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:06pm
I executed the recommended procedure listed above today, and low and behold, everything worked (except the flight plan upload, which apparently is a known issue?).  

My guess is that by turning off the cellular, you disable the onboard iPad GPS, which is somehow conflicting with the avidyne position/Adsb.  Anyway- my iPad is no longer disconnecting and reconnecting every 5 seconds.  It’s now stably holding the connection and using the avidyne GPS source and passing adsb info.
Zeddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 5:03pm
Great that the process worked for your iPad.  My IFD540 developed a problem where it would not boot up beyond the Avidyne logo and required a return to Avidyne.  Crossing my fingers that when it comes back all is as it should be!
m016576 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m016576 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:20am
the saga continuous.

I flew yesterday and had the same problem with FlyQ again (showing ADS-B instead of avidyne connected, then connecting and disconnecting every 5 seconds).

I was able to get FlyQ to register the avidyne by disabling, then re-enabling the WiFi on the avidyne settings page, after accomplishing a full reset on the iPad (then following the suggested procedure on the iPad listed above by Seattle avionics).
Zeddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 6:57pm
This is a follow-up to my previous post.  The IFD540 was returned from Avidyne for an unrelated issue and reinstalled.  The problem still exists with FlyQ cycling between "Avidyne connected" and "ADS-B connected" with both versions 3.2.1 and 4.0.  FlyQ is displaying traffic and WX, but GPS and traffic/WX updates are inconsistent due to cycling of the connection.

I opened a case with Seattle Avionics...hoping for a quick solution.
Zeddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:01pm
I received the following response from Seattle Avionics about my inquiry:

"Sorry for any inconvenience. This is a known issue due to changes in the IFD firmware. We're working with their team on a solution for the next release. Everything else should work fine except flight plan two-way."

Hopefully it won't be months to release 4.X
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:13pm
Zeddy -

I heard directly from Steve Podradchik on this that with FlyQ 4.0 and Avi v10.2.3.1, the FP transfer works from FlyQ up to IFD, but not yet down capability from IFD to FlyQ.

Tom W.

Zeddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:19pm
Tom W.

Thanks for the info.

Zeddy
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 8:15pm
A FlyQ beta is out:  Release notes WRT Avi:

AVIDYNE USERS:  Perhaps the most important fix in this release involves basic communication between FlyQ and Avidyne after the last Avidyne update.  This should restore FlyQ's ability to get position, AHRS, and ADS-B data from Avidyne as well as transfer flight plans from FlyQ to the IFD.  It does NOT fix long-standing issue with FP transfer from IFD to FlyQ but we plan to fix that in the 4.1 release (not 4.0.1).  Please test and let us know if the fix worked.

David Gates
Zeddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 11:15pm
Dave,

Interesting piece of news.  I've contacted SA and requested to be a beta tester.  I'll provided an update later.

Zeddy
Zeddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:24pm
I flew with the Beta 1 version of 4.0.1 over the weekend and SA has fixed the communication issue with 10.2.3.1.  The WiFi connection was rock solid the entire 2 hr flight, no issues with traffic or WX, no crashes or malfunctions for the features I typically use. 
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 10:54pm
Curious... I also downloaded the new FlyQ Beta v4.01 Beta-2 and still having problems uploading Flight Plans from FlyQ to IFD540.

I had to fall back to my FF to upload a FP with personal waypoints...

Tom W.
Zeddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 6:55pm
I was successful in uploading a couple of flight plans from FlyQ to the IFD540 which I was not able to do before 4.0.1 beta 1.  I have updated to FlyQ 4.0.1 beta 2 and will fly again later this week.  I'll report my findings.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2019 at 7:52pm
SA said in one of their beta summaries last week that FP transfer wouldn't be fixed until v4.1, not 4.0.1.

They did say that they had fixed ads-b and gps iirc.

David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 12:10am
David,
In a very recent email with SA (Steve P) SA insists that in the Beta v4.01.11, FP transfer is fixed one-way from FlyQ to IFD (not in reverse).

I complained that it is not working as recent as 2-days ago... but I was using a FP with User Wpts as well as the usual.  Steve P. suggested that maybe FP's with User Wpts might not work, but that Avidyne had tested FP's successfully from FlyQ uploaded to IFD.

Frustrating to think they hadn't thought of FP uploads with User Wpt... Most of my recent FP was Mountain Flying with Passes defined as WPTS...

Anyway, I will test a FP with "standard" Wpts next few days.

Are you back in HOT AZ?  We are up in KPSO-land till Semptmber.

Tom W.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 11:35am
Tom:

It seems they still have a lot of bugs; FWIW I'm not sure that the direction they are taking FQ interests me.  I don't care about logbooks and video, etc. - I'd rather the basic functionality work.

No, still working in STL, I am planning my final reposition to SDL for probably 1/2020.

Regards,
David Gates
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 6:06pm
So true seems like Flyq used to work better more stable etc. 
Dave
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 10:23pm
Agree on the "direction" of FlyQ.
For logbooks, I have for years used MyFlight-Book (and also hard copy), but in fact, the FF logbook is really very good in documenting most of the parameters desired.

FlyQ logbooks still has a long way to go.

FF so far has been so stable, and everything actually WORKS.
On FlyQ uploading FP's to our IFD's, Steve P. has been very responsive, and just emailed me that minutes ago they came out with a Beta-3 v4.01.14 fixing the Avidyne-FP transfer issue - Will test in AM.

Glad to hear you will return to Az in 2020.

Tom W.
Zeddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 11:04am
I flew with FlyQ beta 4 version 4.0.1.24 last night and the flight plan transfer from the IFD540 to FlyQ work flawlessly and I experienced no instabilities, crashes or slow responses to inputs.
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 6:29pm
I uploaded a new flight plan from the iPad, (FlyQ) to the IFDs.
No problem
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2019 at 4:01pm
I have IFD 540 (10.2.3.1)  and FlyQ (4)  and the Stratus 3 on new iPad mini (no cellular).

I am trying to use the Stratus as the wifi, the 540 and the iPads as remotes.  Not seen anyone on this forum with that setup, most are using the IFD wifi, though I'm sure it must be common.

Using Fing, I see the Stratus, iPad, my phone, and the IFD (as texas instruments something) on the Stratus090909 network and the Wifi symbol is green on the IFD.  It took several attempts rebooting IFD to get to this point.

While on FlyQ navlog page, and selecting the upload button, I see upload to Aspen (which I do not have) but no reference to Avidyne.

Any suggestions?  I have not tried disabling BT on my iPad but did turn it off in the IFD.  

Second, if I do get this working, will the IFD show metar and/or traffic info received via ads-b through the Stratus?  It is showing same on the FlyQ.

Edited by cavu - 14 Sep 2019 at 4:08pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 5:38am
Do you have the FlyQ beta version?  That is the version that reportedly has the FlyQ-Avidyne stream fixed.

And no, panel mount (certified) units aren't permitted to receive or display data from non certified inputs.

Edited by ddgates - 15 Sep 2019 at 5:39am
David Gates
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 8:38am
Unless the new FlyQ beta fixed it, ..................... 
this configuration will not work. When I set the Avidyne IFD to remote on another network it will connect OK but FlyQ will constantly connect and disconnect. Seattle avionics said this is a know issue, it will not share properly when two different sources are sending it info on the WIFI. 

the beta version does work with Avidyne IFDs internal WIFI and it will receive plans from the FlyQ upload.
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2019 at 1:23pm
So you're telling that with a Stratus 3, FlyQ 4 arrangement, you can not transfer FPs to the IFD 540?

Does Foreflight work with this arrangement?

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2019 at 10:36pm
I just updated FlyQ to 4.0.1 (Build 4.0.1.33 -- 9/16/2019).  I have 10.2.3.1 on my IFD-540.

From FlyQ, I was able to send flightplans to, and retrieve flightplans from the IFD-540.  It looks like I maintained a solid connection to my Stratux ADS-B unit the entire time.  I was in the hangar, so I didn't have any traffic or weather reception, but the connection to the Stratux appeared to be steady.  I will give this a flight test soon, and see if this truly is working.

For those that don't know the setup, you configure the networking on the IFD to use a remote network, and then type in the SSID and password of the network you want to connect to.  In my case, I set up the IFD to connect to the stratux network.  I also configure my iPad to connect to the stratux network.  The stratux acts like an access point and has two clients: my iPad and the IFD-540.  

THIS DID NOT WORK IN THE PAST.  FlyQ would constantly connect and then disconnect from the IFD-540 when I tried to simultaneously connect to the Stratux and the 540.  If this is working now, it is HUGE!!

The last piece of this puzzle is to see if I can connect my other iPad running the IFD-100 app at the same time.  

cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 9:56am
Uploaded the update and they specifically say in the What's new section that this was fixed.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 7:47pm
Flight plan send and receive works, but not simultaneously with ADSB-IN from Stratux.

In the AUX/SETUP menu I selected the WIFI network as stratux (I had previously set this up as the remote WIFI profile).

I then selected the stratux network on the iPad.

I had FlyQ running, and was able to send and receive flight plans to/from the IFD.  The transfers are initiated from the FlyQ app.  This was pretty cool.  Here are a few quirks:

1. I sent a flight plan from the FlyQ to the IFD on the ground.  I sent it just prior to departure.  The route was my airport, one waypoint, and a destination airport.  In the IFD, it had a user waypoint named "BEGIN" in the imported plan.
2. I didn't see the "send to Avidyne" option once, so I went to the ROUTES page and then the Send to Avidyne appeared on the FlyQ menu.  I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or not.
3. If you don't have a route at all in FlyQ, you can't get the menu to "Receive from Avidyne".  This seems kind of silly.  I had to load any ole route, and then on the Navlog page I could access the "Receive from Avidyne" and download the new route.  Too many steps.  Maybe there is an easier way...?
4. After I had sent and received flight plans, I looked at FlyQ and noticed there was NO TRAFFIC.  (There is ALWAYS some traffic around here).  So, the ADSB from Stratux was not being received or not being processed.  I went to the Stratux webpage (192.168.10.1) and it showed lots of traffic and 1 ADSB tower.  I did a force-stop on FlyQ and restarted it.  BAM! There was all the traffic.  Great.  Now let's try to send and receive flight plans to the Avidyne.  NOPE!  The menu choices weren't there.   I turned off networking on the IFD and then turned it back on to stratux.  I went to the ROUTES page.  Eventually it said "Avidyne IFD Connected" or something like that, and I could send flight plans.  Great!  And it looked like there was traffic!  Yay!  ....not so fast.  The traffic was old and stale.  It was not updating.  Clearly the FlyQ app can only do one thing at a time.  

Oh well, the traffic display trumps the flight plan transfers any day of the week.  I suppose if I want to push a complex routing down to FlyQ, I will turn on networking, do the transfer, turn off networking on the IFD, restart FlyQ and then continue.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic