Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Air Data Computer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Data Computer
    Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:09am
I'm wondering whether anyone has added a separate air data computer and what the issues are in interfacing with an IFD. By separate, I mean not an Aspen or G500 but a discrete unit such as those available from Sandia, Shadin, etc.

Rolfe

paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 2:11pm
In for answers. I miss my wind vectors.
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:53am
I have a Shadin Digidata that provides the airdata to my IFD540.
Works fine.
wehrhardt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wehrhardt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 2:27pm
I have a Shadin as well, but I dint have the temo probe. Shadin seems to stop support for the digi. Do you know, where I can get this probe? Many thanks in advance....
Regards from Germany... 
Piper Aztec non turbo, IFD 540 and GNS430w, G600, EDM 790
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 11:29pm
When I installed mine ~5-6 years ago, I just bought the Digidata unit off ebay.
My avionics shop sent it to Shadin for evaluation/calibration.  I didn't have the probe so my
shop must have obtained one somewhere.  I'd be surprised if it wasn't a universal probe.
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 5:35pm
I have a Sandia SAC 7-35.  Works good.  Now if Avidyne can get the bugs out of the IFD100 it will work even better (the IFD100 can also display speed and altitude tapes from your ADC). 
Roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 5:57pm
That would be great to have accurate speed and altitude tape on the IFD100.  How does one go about getting that data on there?  I have a cirrus with full avidyne setup and would like to have that in case of PFD failure.  I have the L3 ESI 500 as a backup but that thing is tiny and I have to look down whereas an iPad I have mounted on my side window would be fantastic!
wb8wka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wb8wka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Roger Roger wrote:

That would be great to have accurate speed and altitude tape on the IFD100.  How does one go about getting that data on there?

You just need to have a ADC coupled to your IFD550 and the tapes will be there on the IFD100. Something about the FAA is why they don't display them natively on the IFD550 itself.

The bugs I mentioned, at least in my configuration, only impact the heading and generate orphan error messages.  The tapes remain and seem accurate. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic