Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > EX-Series Multi-Function Displays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Missing "Chart" Softkey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lannymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missing "Chart" Softkey
    Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 1:54pm
My 2004 Saratoga has the Avidyne 5000 PFD and MFD running Release 8.1. According to page 53 of the MFD manual (< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12"> < ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="ProgId" ="Word.">< name="Generator" ="Microsoft Word 12">< name="Originator" ="Microsoft Word 12">

http://www.avidyne.com/publications/piper/600-00105-001-PG-EX5000-PIPER-28-03-44.pdf

), the "Trip"page should include a "Chart" softkey on the right side, from which you can move directly to the charts for a highlighted airport.  That softkey is missing on my display - I have only two softkeys on the righthand side of the "Trip" screen, [Airport] "Info" and the [Weather] "Display" toggle.  And yes, CMAX charts *are* installed on my system; without this softkey, though, I have to move to the "Chart" page to manually enter an airport identifier and then view them those charts, rather than being able to make a quick "jump" to an airport's approach charts by simply highlighting the airport on the "Trip" page and hitting the softkey.

Jared Gowlis of my avionics shop, Three Wing Flying Services at KBDR, has been trying to get an answer on this from your tech support people for more than a month, without success.  Can you help me?  Please?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 2:06pm
Hi "Lannymon",

This is the first I've heard of it.  Let me check and respond back quickly (in meetings rest of day but will check NLT Tues).

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 10:28am
4 Oct 2011 Update:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.    We have been looking into since yesterday's posting and have determined that it is indeed a bug (Chart softkey missing on Trip page) that appears to have been introduced in Rel 8.1 for all aircraft that have CMax functionality.

We are assessing what and when we can address this apparent defect but have not reached a conclusion yet.

I am sorry you received no follow-through via the Tech Support route last month.   While we will investigate how that follow-through did not happen, I will point out that the AvidyneLive forum is a direct path to the various Avidyne Product Managers.  Since we've all either come from, or run, Engineering in the past, we have direct lines to those that can investigate these kinds of reports and Product Management is responsible for determining what and how reports of bugs or product improvements get dispositioned.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Lannymon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lannymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 9:15am
I am still awaiting a further response re this issue and an indication of when I can expect a fix.  I really would expect more responsive customer service from Avidyne when such an issue arises.  Please advise asap.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 9:25am
We expect to resolve the missing Chart line select key in MFD software release 8.1.2 which is estimated to be completed and shipping in the Spring of 2012.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Marty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 11:29am
In December I upgraded the Firmware in my MFD because of the Yellow Tab Event. I was told this was the fix for the problem. Sunday while traveling to Milwaukee, WI , I had it again. I cleared it by cycling power to the MFD.

I've noticed another issue that I think is related to this software upgrade.

I'm getting a Message that the Storm Scope Heading has failed. This did not start until after my annual. I think that the storm scope goes through MFD. It appears that the MFD is locking up when this happens. Changing screens does not work when I get this message. As soon as the message goes away, the MFD starts functioning properly. I don't have to do anything to clear up the problem. If will go away after a few seconds maybe 10 seconds.

Software Part #: 530-00201-100 Rev 00
Media Part # : 053-00201-100 Rev 00
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 3:13pm
Hi Marty,

The Stormscope Heading Fail message was fixed in Rel 4.1.1/8.1.1 which is Rev 01.  Based on the rev you list you have 4.1/8.1 loaded.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Lannymon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lannymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 3:57pm
Is the version 8.1.2 software release still on track for Spring?  Id it possible to further pin down just when in that timeframe it is anticipated to become available?
FlyingLester View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingLester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 8:55am
Turns out there was an internal mis-communication and Steve misspoke.  While Avidyne is aware of the missing Chart softkey on the Trip page issue, we currently have no plans for a 8.1.2 release to address this issue.  Chart airports can still be automatically selected via the Chart Paste softkey on the Charts page or via the Chart softkey on the Nearest page. 

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.  
Lannymon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lannymon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 9:42am
Well, that's just terrific customer service.  So, to sum up.  You inadvertently removed extremely advantageous functionality in updating the Release 8 software in my Saratoga from 8.0 to 8.1, it took me (and my authorized dealer) multiple communications, over a period of several months, to get an acknowledgement form Avidyne that this is in fact a known problem (and we received a response only after I had posted my message on your public forum), you assured me and my Avidyne dealer (last fall) that this would be corrected in an upcoming 8.1.2 update in Spring 2012, and now, as that timeframe approaches, you're telling me that there won't be an 8.1.2 update, and that your representative "misspoke" and there was was never intended to be one.  Thanks very much.  I hope that anyone out there who is considering an aircraft with an Avidyne flat panel PFD/MDF system will appreciate how Avidyne takes care of its past customers.  I guess that's why Garmin still owns the hearts and minds of most pilots.  Thanks again.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 8:39am
Lannymon,

We're genuinely sorry you feel that way and it was my mistake for passing along the incorrect information on a 8.1.2 update.

Restoring the missing Chart softkey will be included in any future MFD software update but at this time, there is no planned release scheduled.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic